Endgame

Heroica RPG - Quest #48: Death's Homecoming

QM Note: The Murkwood heavily involves pictures.

The party trudges back to the Town hall and asks Ayla if her pet spiders can accompany them to the Murkwood.

KhaBM.png

"I'm not sure if i-"

qlIEf.png

"Don't worry, Ayla. We were born there, we'll be fine.

And with that, the party trudges right to the entrance of the Murkwood. They find a spider web blocking it with some words hastily and crudely written on it in web.

U13TG.png

"Go away dragon lord? Are they talking about the veteran?"

Johon climbs a tree and looks down at the forest to see if he can find anything of interest, then checks his magic compass.

Johon attempts to climb the tree, but soon realizes that the branches are bristling with thorns and barbs. It'd hurt like a megablock if you tried to climb...

Webs. There's the one think I hate just as much as spiders.

"Or could it be a warning? Like in, 'Go away, there's a Dragon Lord in the forest?' Well I guess we're not heeding the advice anyway."

The party won't be able to move forward with the web in the way.

The party won't be able to move forward with the web in the way.

"Morxes, Lyrol," cooed Sylph, inviting them onto his hand. "Do you know anything about a Dragon-Lord? Do these web-messages mean anything to you? Do think you could climb up the tree to see if you can spot anything? My bat could accompany you if you would like."

qlIEf.png

"I remember something about our daddy sending us away because of a Dragon Lord. He said to stay safe and grow into big, strong spiders. Do you think I'll grow into a big strong spider?"

Morxes obviouslyenjoys the company of the druid. While Morxes babbles, Lyrol uses his thread to grapple on top of the tree. he drops down and delivers his report.

R8oJK.png

"Negative on the visual. I heard a sigh and some rhythmic metal clanging north of here in the Murkwood, though."

"That must be our blacksmith. Is anyone willing to hack this web and let us through? I'm not going anywhere near it."

qlIEf.png

"I remember something about our daddy sending us away because of a Dragon Lord. He said to stay safe and grow into big, strong spiders. Do you think I'll grow into a big strong spider?"

Morxes obviouslyenjoys the company of the druid. While Morxes babbles, Lyrol uses his thread to grapple on top of the tree. he drops down and delivers his report.

R8oJK.png

"Negative on the visual. I heard a sigh and some rhythmic metal clanging north of here in the Murkwood, though."

"Yes, Morxes, I have no doubt that you will grow up to be a big strong spider! You're well on your way." reassured Sylph. "How big is your daddy?"

"Thank you for the report Lyrol... Hmmm. Rhythmic metal clanging. What's north of here, do you know? Would that be the blacksmith's shoppe?"

qlIEf.png

"As big as all of you combined!" says the young spider ahppily.

Galen's heart skips a beat.

R8oJK.png

"The smith's workshop is only a hop, skip and a jump away from the marketplace. It was definitely coming from the forest."

"That must be our blacksmith. Is anyone willing to hack this web and let us through? I'm not going anywhere near it."

"Alright, you're right. We do need to get through." stated Sylph, "Morxes, Lyrol, do you mind if we tear down this web? If it's a warning, no one's coming through here anyways but us, and if it's a threat, then it's probably not doing much. We need to get into the forest." With this justification, Sylph took out his sickle-tipped rod and began carefully tearing each thread.

qlIEf.png

"As big as all of you combined!" says the young spider happily.

"Delightful. I'd love to meet him"

Edited by Dannylonglegs

qlIEf.png

"No problem, but you may want to reconsider using your r-"

before the young red spiderling can complete his warning, Sylph's rod gets entangled in web - stuck!

qlIEf.png

"...Murkwood thread is especially sticky..."

qlIEf.png

"No problem, but you may want to reconsider using your r-"

before the young red spiderling can complete his warning, Sylph's rod gets entangled in web - stuck!

qlIEf.png

"...Murkwood thread is especially sticky..."

"Hmm. Well, not to worry." Stated Sylph, who stuck one of his fire bombs to the web and ignited it.

Edited by Dannylonglegs

Pulling out a firebomb, Sylph ignites it. It becomes entangled in the web - then bursts into flames!

The path seems fairly straight forward at first. A winding dark alleyway, with drab trees standing on both sides. They eventually come to a large clearing.

Will the party progress further?

Pulling out a firebomb, Sylph ignites it. It becomes entangled in the web - then bursts into flames!

The path seems fairly straight forward at first. A winding dark alleyway, with drab trees standing on both sides. They eventually come to a large clearing.

Will the party progress further?

"Hmmm. We seem to have arrived at a clearing." stated Sylph, redundantly, still brushing off his rod until it gleamed like a full moon. "I'll have my bat scout around."

Sylph whispered into his cloak and his bat emerged from beneath the cloth. The bat then leaped into the air and scanned the nearby woods for signs of anything abnormal, particularly listening for the metallic noise with her powerful bat ears.

Edited by Dannylonglegs

The bat swoops into the air, scanning the nearby area. She hears the metallic clanging, but the blacksmith's actual location is obscured by the dense trees. She sees 8 glowing purple eyes briefly on her fly by that are near the direction from which the clanging was coming from.

Will the party walk through the clearing or will they take any other precautions?

Sylph equipped his goggles and healed himself, borrowed Elgar's scroll of poisoning, cast it on his arrows and Alex's blade, then drank the Trial Potion.

Johon's compass begins to spin and flails around randomly. Perhaps this place really was cursed...

"Eight eyes... doesn't sound like a dragon to me."

Galen uses Smelling Salts, a Nostrum and a Mead.

"Keep your weapons low. Maybe we could show we mean no harm. Though that's probably unlikely. I don't want to waste my mead or nostrum. So I ready my weapon."

"Well we will be prepared for the next battle, whenever that may be, so it's not a waste of consumables. But you're right, perhaps the purple eyes are those of some spiders, who in theory shouldn't wish us any harm right now."