CM4Sci

2013 Galaxy Squad

... does this sound extremely far-fetched to anyone else? This theme is supposedly launching in March. We don't even have any official photos yet, the idea of them popping up in stores is pretty outlandish.

Keep in mind that release dates are rarely consistent worldwide. While it is surprising if these are indeed showing up in stores before we've even seen high-quality preliminary or finalized images, it isn't all that unlikely if they happen to be due for a January release in the country in question, especially since Toys 'R' Us usually gets special privileges when it comes to releasing sets ahead of schedule.

It is a bit lame for an insect, I would at least expect it to have the correct number of legs, that looks like a human with an insect mask on and some strap on party wings. I will be disappointed if that is what we get for the aliens. I was expecting something, you know, a bit more alien!

It will take a long time before LEGO makes a multi-legged alien. Just not human enough to pass LEGO's policies, ironically.

Just saw the insect minifigures, there goes hundreds of dollars! :laugh: By the way, anyone reminded of Mars Mission on the human vehicles?

What colour is the alien in the smallest one? The beetle? This is so exciting! I'm surprised they're out this early. Which set did the gray one come in?

~Insectoid Aristocrat

The grey one came in a larger set (with some sort of jeep or truck I think), if it really was grey. Again, I don't remember a whole lot. Sadly, I couldn't get in to take pictures today, and I'm going to be gone for a while, but I promise I'll get them as soon as possible.

As for why they were out so early, I have no clue. I was pretty shocked to see them myself. As I said, though, they had Hobbit sets out early as well, so it could be an issue specifically with that TRU Express.

The grey one came in a larger set (with some sort of jeep or truck I think), if it really was grey. Again, I don't remember a whole lot. Sadly, I couldn't get in to take pictures today, and I'm going to be gone for a while, but I promise I'll get them as soon as possible.

As for why they were out so early, I have no clue. I was pretty shocked to see them myself. As I said, though, they had Hobbit sets out early as well, so it could be an issue specifically with that TRU Express.

What color were the boxes? :hmpf_bad:

-Sci

They were a snazzy white and black, I can tell you that much.

Seams like the real deal, but I'm really surprised to hear that they are out somewhere this early. Perhaps Lego is planning to release them earlier then March?

Well, TRU tends to have a habit of releasing some sets really early: I remember seeing Garmadon's Fortress and one of the other larger Ninjago sets at the local TRU where I live around this time in 2010 (i.e. about 2-3 months before they were supposed to come out)....

I might see about trying to swing by there tomorrow after work and see if they have any of the 2013 sets available already. If so, and one of them is affordable (the store doesn't allow cameras), I'll try to buy it and post a review.

I don't remember a whole lot about them as the store also had Hobbit sets in early and I was busier looking at those, but I'll see if I can get some pictures tomorrow. At least one of the aliens on the boxes I saw didn't seem to be in any of the pics released- it looked vaguely like the red one, but I'm pretty sure it was slightly different, and a different colour, I think grey.

Which TRU express was this? I'm sure there's other Canadians out there who are interested in figuring out where these are showing up...

Wow I really like the blue, presumably, the robot's helmet!

I wish it came with the armour piece the orange robot has though.

But for $15 that looks like a very good deal :sweet:

$100 for the orange vehicles is really good too!

Well it's about darn time. I take back what I said about doubting these had actually been spotted... LEGO seems to be experiencing some very unusual leaks this year!

I love the blue robot in the Space Swarmer! I had no idea this theme was going to have androids, I'm so happy to see them returning! That is definitely a must-have for me.

I wish I was more excited about the Bug Obliterator. It seems they took the modularity a little too far. I don't dislike it - and I will probably wind up getting it - but it could have been a little more like a capital ship for my taste.

I really hope we get to see the rest!

EDIT: I think it's pretty clear the "helmet" figs are robots and not humans. The old Insectoids had androids as well.

EDIT 2: One more observation before bed. The Earth-like planet in the background seems to be enveloped in green gas. Possible plot point?

Edited by Algernon

I like the Space Swarmer, and the robots will probably grow on me (not too crazy about the blue bot's 'weapon', but he's got some nice AC/Galaxy Patrol blasters on his jetpack I can always use instead). And the red 'scorpion' alien in another color! That's great! Hopefully the robots will come in BOTH colors (so we can get the orange bot's head & armor in blue, too, that is).

Not too crazy about the orange uniforms, or the high price tag on what seems to be a fairly small set... the orange vehicles aren't all that big, and the mosquito's ship is really small! At first glance, seems overpriced. May feel differently once I'm looking at it in person. :)

Well, the Hobbit sets are due out November 27th, so seeing them on the shelf isn't too surprising. Especially for a TRU.

mmm, a bit disappointed by the size of the alien ship in the 70705. In the images of the club magazines comic that were posted some days ago, it looked like it would be some kind of major ship. But in reality its just personal transporter. The mosquito sits almost just on top of it..

So the mosquito is equipped with antenas afterall. The one that was sold on ebay must have been some kind of prototype or production reject.

To bad for those that were hoping that the squad troopers would be similar to the Cuusoo or CMF space marines. Though it is nice to have that space helmet available in a new color; so far white, light blue, dark blue, black, pink and orange, or am I forgettinge a color? I Wonder if other colors will follow. Didn't a read a post stating that there would be different colors of squads?

The armor and helmets for the robots / androids look promising too

Anyway, so far the theme looks nice, and I will probably pick some sets up, but up till now it doesn't give me the "must have" feeling I had with Alien Conquest.

edit: we dont have that helmet in dark blue... the CMF space marines helmet is a bit different model

Edited by J.V.D.

mmm, a bit disappointed by the size of the alien ship in the 70705. In the images of the club magazines comic that were posted some days ago, it looked like it would be some kind of major ship. But in reality its just personal transporter. The mosquito sits almost just on top of it..

So the mosquito is equipped with antenas afterall. The one that was sold on ebay must have been some kind of prototype or production reject.

The ship that appeared in the comic that you are referring to is a different modelt from a different set, and the antenna look like they're going to be removable.

Holy crap! Better go check my ToysRus when the sun comes up... Hope this theme lasts more than just half a year, I'm really loving it. Oh, and the androids... ERMAHGERD

Edited by TheRedGuy

Well at first glance looking at these images I'll have plenty left to spend on LOTOR, Star Wars and New Castle next year.

I quite liked the kitschy 50s homage of Alien Conquest but on the evidence of these two sets I can't really see anything that says buy me. I guess the space ship in the larger set bears a slight resemblance to some of the classic space sets of my youth but overall I'm unimpressed by the minifigs and the vehicles (opinion subject to change once more images become available).

Edited by TeufelHund

LOVE the space swarmer.. if I like at least one of the good guy vehicles I'll pick up a few of them to make a swarm. And just as I knew from the smaller pics, I hate the bigger set.