wonkyeye

LOTR & The Hobbit 2012

Picked up 3 of the elf polybags... A review will be up tomorrow.

Did you get them online or locally? I checked my local TRU tonight and they had nothing. When you do post a review, can you also put Eomer's cloak on the elf (if you have one) so we can see how it looks? I ordered mine online and won't be getting them till later this week or early next but am anxious to see how it looks.

I called my local TRU and they had nothing, and it isn't up on their Canadian site yet. Hopefully they'll appear along with the other sets in the first week of December. I want to pick up as many as I can, if they are even gonna be available here.

Hmm, what's that green cyrstal doing next to the tree? http://www.toysrus.c...ductId=17328336 You can see it if you zoom in at that link...

Edit: I noticed that the tree is not dark red like in the Mirkwood Spiders set. I wonder why that is?

Edited by Infernum

Hmm, what's that green cyrstal doing next to the tree?

I absolutely love the inclusion of that piece! If I remember correctly, King Thranduil has a weakness for treasure, in particular (green) emeralds. Perfect to set up his hoard, decorate his throne room in a MOC or whatnot.

Is there anybody in the US who'd like to buy five of those elves for me and send them over? I'd pay (elves and shipping) via PayPal. :classic:

Did you get them online or locally? I checked my local TRU tonight and they had nothing. When you do post a review, can you also put Eomer's cloak on the elf (if you have one) so we can see how it looks? I ordered mine online and won't be getting them till later this week or early next but am anxious to see how it looks.

I got them at my local TRU (Bay Area California). They had a huge pile (25) at the end of the aisle. Sorry, I don't have his cape.

Theyre already at the retail stores?

Yes, as I stated above.

I got them at my local TRU (Bay Area California). They had a huge pile (25) at the end of the aisle. Sorry, I don't have his cape.

Yes, as I stated above.

Man, talk about a jackpot! I would have grabbed the lot! 25 elves and all those tree bits would be more than enough to start a good Mirkwood MOC.

Also, people have been saying how they want the hair in the polybag. I would say the elf sword would be better. Rather than a barrel and a goblet, I'd want a barrel with a sword in it. That way he could use a bow or sword, and if someone gets multiples, they can have both archers and swordsmen.

Man, talk about a jackpot! I would have grabbed the lot! 25 elves and all those tree bits would be more than enough to start a good Mirkwood MOC.

Also, people have been saying how they want the hair in the polybag. I would say the elf sword would be better. Rather than a barrel and a goblet, I'd want a barrel with a sword in it. That way he could use a bow or sword, and if someone gets multiples, they can have both archers and swordsmen.

Yeah I am a little low on funds right now. :cry_sad: I did buy 2 extra though. :grin: I am trying to save up to buy the real sets. I dont want to spoil too much of the review, but there is a couple of good things about the barrel. I don't think the hair would have worked with this. I think the hood not only gives an exclusivity to the polybag (breing a rare part and all) and it fits better with the set overall.

A word of advice for all US TRU shoppers looking for the polybag:

1. If you go down to your store with buying the polybag in mind (especially in bulk), print out a copy of the online webpage. The sets in the store are $5.49 and if you show proof of the valid online price (4.99) they will match it. It is not much but in these hard times, every dollar saved is a dollar to be spent on something else.

2. If you get to the store (TRU) and they are out of the polybag, have them order it for you at the store. they will wave the shipping charges due to their lack of inventory.

Another thing, here's hoping they (TRU) stock the shelves with The Hobbit before Black Friday, they are said to be having a 40% off all LEGO deal. Even with the enormous mark up on sets, it's still a deal.

That's probably one of the nicest polybags I've seen - a nice, generic figure and other useful pieces. I probably won't bother getting one as we rarely see these here in Aussieland but would certainly pick one up should it become available.

Edited by TeufelHund

I already ordered ten and want to get ten more. I am hoping TRU will have their exclusive Barrel Escape set available next Tuesday on the 27th and I will order the rest then to get free shipping. Hopefully they also have some sod of deal going on for at least 10-20% off.

Edited by Deathleech

Dang, I think you could easily call this the best polybag ever. Something for everyone: Mushroom cap available for cheap, a nice little tree which is a perfect parts pack, a dark green hood, Legolas' torso available for dirt-cheap (meaning you only need to buy a Hobbit Legolas and swap the torsos if LOTR Legolas was out of your price range), proper equipment (not only elven bow AND quiver but also emerald luxury goods), and at the core, a perfect army-builder. Some may cry for an Elven hairpiece, but green hoods can be used for much more. And to top it all off, it's available to be purchased in bulk, online, in America (alas for the other countries, but they should flood the secondary market posthaste).

Edited by Darth Caedus

Edit: I noticed that the tree is not dark red like in the Mirkwood Spiders set. I wonder why that is?

I think it's intended to be from the Woodland Elves' area of Mirkwood... less murky. Not a direct tie into the Spiders set (tho until we see the movie, I'm not even sure Legolas & Tauriel are actually IN the scene; could be just convenience, and the fact that Bilbo makes more sense in Bag End, Barrels, and Riddles--it's not without precedent, TLG does it with Star Wars all the time like with Amidala in the Gungan Sub or Obi-Wan in the Podracers set), but a way to make a little 'brighter' Mirkwood for the Elves to hang out in.

YES. That would've been excellent. Even though there was no easy way to get the Uruk-Hai poly around my area, one thing that kept me from hunting it down was the lack of the Uruk sword... I'm not a big fan of the halberds so many Uruks (and the poly) have, but I love the swords. At least with this Elf, his non-sword weapon is the longbow, which is still pretty uncommon and very useful in the broader Castle theme.

Caedus, it's not actually Legolas' torso... it's the Elf Guard's torso from the Barrels set. Pretty much the same colors, though!

Edited by Venkefedo

Looks like a great poly. Would love to see some down under, but I guess I will have to rely on my US brickbrothers and sisters to flood BL with some reasonably priced sets...lego budget is stretching to bursting point :laugh:

Toys R Us has it avaible for international shipping for those of you who were wondering how to get it in certain countries.

Says they are then when you actually go to pay it says it doesn't. False advertising TRU!!! Damn you getting my hopes up.

Looks like a great poly. Would love to see some down under, but I guess I will have to rely on my US brickbrothers and sisters to flood BL with some reasonably priced sets...lego budget is stretching to bursting point :laugh:

Why oh why do we in Austalia miss out on these cool sets! Come on BL, save me please :)

Did anyone else notice the quiver on our elven friend? Is it the same torso from Barrel Escape?

I absolutely love the inclusion of that piece! If I remember correctly, King Thranduil has a weakness for treasure, in particular (green) emeralds. Perfect to set up his hoard, decorate his throne room in a MOC or whatnot.

No no no, in fact he had particular weakness for silver and white gems! :laugh: But nevertheless it's nice that there's some treasure included.

Looks like TRU took it down.

This is a great polybag with something for everyone. Without the ear/hair piece, it doesn't feel like an Elf, but that's fine, because it can double as much more. I'm thinking if I get these I might make Faramir's Rangers using other parts.

not sure why the took it down but I would imagine they were supposed to wait until the November 27 release date. Regardless, I got my order confirmation of the sets I bought. Tracking it via UPS right now!

Oh the lust of Polybags. I'm more excited for this poly than the other sets. I know the other sets will be available in quantities on shelves shortly, but you never know how rare polybags are going to be.

Dang, I think you could easily call this the best polybag ever.

It's a dang good polybag, no doubt. I dunno about the best ever though. If it had both a hood and hair piece, a cape, and some alternate sword weapons I would probably agree and say it's the best ever (maybe have the hood color match the torso color too, they still seem a bit off from the pics...). Right now it's just very, very good in my eyes!

No no no, in fact he had particular weakness for silver and white gems! :laugh: But nevertheless it's nice that there's some treasure included.

Are you sure? I thought it was green gems/emeralds as well. I know at the end it specifically mentions he got most the emeralds when the dwarves are divvying out their loot.

Looks like TRU took it down.

This is a great polybag with something for everyone. Without the ear/hair piece, it doesn't feel like an Elf, but that's fine, because it can double as much more. I'm thinking if I get these I might make Faramir's Rangers using other parts.

I am sure it will be put back up, probably next week on the 27th when they officially release all the Hobbit sets. They did the same thing with the LotR sets, TRU and Target they had em up a short amount of time then quickly removed the listing (I think TRU just listed em all as out of stock and Target removed the listing). A week or two later both retailers had them back up at their online store.

As for the elf, I totally agree and that's the exact reason I want a hair piece with ears included with the hood. Without the hair, the figure just doesn't look like an elf at all. It's how you distinguish them in Lego form in my mind. Granted the hood is infinitely more useful, but as is the figure looks more like an Ithilien Ranger to me than a Mirkwood Elf!

I like that it doesn't have a hairpiece. Elves with quivers is what we need. Also, a sword would have been better than both the goblet and gem. I plan on geting 20 of these guys, but I also want to get 10 elf swords, so I can have 10 archers and 10 swordsmen. But with the rarity of the elf sword, I doubt this will be possible, unless I find some rare jackpot on eBay with a bunch of elven blades.

Also, this elf looks strangely similar to the Mirkwood elves in the BFME games. The ones in the game are a little more cartoony, but they still carry longbows and wear big hoods. Just thought it was interesting.

unless I find some rare jackpot on eBay with a bunch of elven blades.

That'd be nice... I'd love a bunch myself. Maybe one of the custom accessory sites will do up a sword very similar to TLG's elven blade (I know at least one of 'em has an 'Elven Blade' but it's a lot fancier, not as elegantly simple as the official one). Of course, by then, there might be enough real swords on the market that the Bricklink price of the sword will have dropped to $1 or under, which is about what a custom one would cost anyway.

Could always hope for another Helm's Deep army-builder set with a few of Haldir's troops with longbows AND swords (and elven helmets?).

Could always hope for another Helm's Deep army-builder set with a few of Haldir's troops with longbows AND swords (and elven helmets?).

That is something I've wanted since the Middle-Earth theme was announced. I hope the do something similar to how the Galadrihm elves look in the game, with the helmets being part of the hairpiece. That would be ideal.