Sign in to follow this  
Sandy

Heroica RPG - Quest #50: 108 Stars of Destiny

"I know the new Dastan Emperor personally, as well as the old Emperor's daughter. As Mr Daggerfall said, the best lies are told with a grain of truth. We could pass for Ambassadors of Dastan, I am sure."

"I was planning on telling...some of the truth." Tesni tapped her blade. "I am a warrior after all and I enjoy testing my strength.My reasons for taking this job wasa chance to fight 108 foes. I was planning on telling Jun I had heard tell of 108 bandits who needed a good beating and hopped on the first vessel over to have a bash at them." She grinned, "simple, true and with that, not possible to forget or confuse."

"I was planning on telling...some of the truth." Tesni tapped her blade. "I am a warrior after all and I enjoy testing my strength.My reasons for taking this job wasa chance to fight 108 foes. I was planning on telling Jun I had heard tell of 108 bandits who needed a good beating and hopped on the first vessel over to have a bash at them." She grinned, "simple, true and with that, not possible to forget or confuse."

"But would the same apply to all of us? Perhaps we could be warriors for hire, just as originally planned, eheh... We would still have a reason to eh... bash them."

"Speaking of which... Namyrra, I know you have not had a good experience with demons of Zoot... and neither have I... but I feel that this Pheles Rod would be better in your hands. Will you take it? Though I will need it back later, eheh... ".

"I have something for you as well, Cinna." he rummaged through his bag and pulled out his recently purchased Diamond. "I can not use it, but I am confident you can, hehe... though I will need that back later as well..."

"Hybros, I certainly would like to try out that rod of yours, it looks mighty powerful."

Tesni snorted and muffled the sound. "Sorry, just a small joke..." She chuckled when others looked over at her strange display. "I'm going to go and enjoy te view."

Tarn grinned as well at Namyrra's comment. Apart from Tesni, who he had Quested with before, he didn't know the other members of his party very well, save for brief glances in the Hall.

He looked at both Hybros and Namyrra and asked, "So where are you two from?", trying to get a conversation going whilst the airship was in flight.

Cinna accepts the Diamond from Hybros with a smile.

"Thank you. This should prove to be helpful in the tower. I must say, I am somewhat jealous of all of gems you guys are able to get ahold of. It seems like I am always short on funds myself."

The voyage across the skies took about a week. The airship made stops at Charis, Alexandria and Salmanda on the way to reload the ether engines and stock up supplies before it crossed the Jade Sea and arrived above Xu. It was an afternoon when they finally arrived to the valleys of Hoshin, and immediately the heroes spotted the great nine-story pagoda built on a mountainside. The airship passed it by close enough for them to marvel at the size and foreign architecture.

heroicaquest50-pagoda1.jpg

On the opposite side of the valley Vincent spotted something red peeking among the trees.

heroicanpc-vincentlegonardo.jpg

"Oh my, I hope that's not..."

The old inventor's fear came true as the Destiny's Bounty landed next to the wreckage of Jun's private vessel. The small airship had crashed through the trees, breaking beyond repair.

heroicaquest15-monalisa.jpg

"Jun..."

"I hope this mission hasn't ended before it even began... This is no way for a valiant warrior such as Jun to go!"

The heroes searched the wreckage and the surroundings, but found no body. Maybe Jun was somewhere nearby? There were trails leading up and down the mountainside

Party:

019.JPG

Sir Christopher Daggerfall (Fred Fred Burger)

27 years old male human Paladin

Level 15
*Immune to Weakened*

Power:
(15+11+2+1)

Defense:
(5+4)

Health:
35/35
(10+14+11)

Ether:
18/18
(1+15+2)

Gold:

Equipment:
Sunspear (WP:11,
light
-elemental, inflicts weakened-effect; halberd), Mockthril Shield (SP:5), Pugilist's Gloves (Power +2, protects from weakened-effect), Paladin's Armor (SP:4, Max. Ether +2)

Inventory:
Winged Sandals (Protects from bound- and slowed-effects), 3 Potions, Grand Potion, Remedy, 2 Rums, Smoke Bomb, 2 Fire Bombs, Bedroll, Shovel, Pickaxe

7799445022_26c70f4173_o.jpg

Cinna the Dark (darkdragon)

19 years Female Human Mystic Knight

Level 21
*Immune to
Fire

Power:
(21+15+1+1)

Defense:
(2+1)

Health:
33/33
(5+20+7+1)

Ether:
27/27
(5+20+1+1)

Gold:

Equipment:
Mauryl (WP:15, ranged), Aurora Helmet (SP:2, immune to
fire
), High Heels (Power +1, suitable for women; footwear), Anniversary Medal:Y1 (+1 to all stats per year; accessory)

Inventory:
Healing Staff (WP:5), Pointy Hat (Max. Ether +2, suitable for mages and clerics; headwear), Amethyst (
Darkness
), Topaz (
Lightning
), Opal (
Ice
), Ruby (
Fire
), Emerald (
Wood
), Diamond (
Light
), Scroll of Sleep, 6 Grand Potions, 3 Grand Tonics, 6 Remedies, Elixir, Phoenix Essence, 4 Meads, 3 Smelling Salts, Soma, 2 Deadly Venoms, Fire Bomb, Bedroll, 3 Bones

7173335030_b2b9e10fb7_z.jpg

Hybros (JimButcher)
***Party Leader***

50-year-old male imp Assassin

Level 21 2/3
*Hastened*
*Immune to Cursed*

Power:
(21+15)

Defense:

Health:
33/33
(7+20+5+1)

Gold:

Equipment:
Zoot's Reaper (WP:15,
earth
-elemental), Golden Armor (user is permanently hastened and cursed; bodywear), Blessed Amulet (protects from cursed-effect; accessory)

Inventory:
Clock Cog (WP: 14, retrievable), Shuriken of Mercutio (WP:5, retrievable), Throwing Knife (WP:8, retrievable), Throwing Knife (WP:8, retrievable), Banana Bladerang (WP:9, damage all, retrievable), Ancient Throwing Dagger (WP: 8, retrievable), Emerald (
Wood
), 15 Potions, 14 Grand Potions, 25 Health Cores, 10 Remedies, 3 Phoenix Essences, 2 Deadly Venoms, 2 Smoke Bombs, 3 Holy Bombs, 15 Nostrums, 2 Meads, Smelling Salts, Bedroll, Shovel, Skeleton Decoy, Bone

namyrra_training_hall_avatar.jpg

Namyrra Uq (Quarryman)

1337 years old female Fenarian Evoker

Level 22
*Immune to Sealing*

Power
: 34
(22+12)

Defence
: 8
(5+3)

Health
: 29/29
(5+21+3)

Ether
: 33/33
(5+21+1+1+5)

Gold
: 54

Equipment
: Staff of the Necromancer (WP:12; damages undead; +1 level to raised undead; staff), Fanged Helm (SP:5, headwear), Robe of the Archmagi (SP:3, Max. Ether +5, immune to Sealing, bodywear)

Inventory
: Pheles Rod (WP:20; grants permanent Aura, doubling the user’s max. health but making all enemy attacks hit the user; staff), Snake Staff (WP:12), Shiny Dagger (WP:10), Bone Staff (WP:3), Amethyst, Opal, Emerald, Topaz, Garnet, Diamond, Ruby, Sapphire, Scroll of Blindness, Scroll of Sealing, 4 Potions, Tonic, 2 Grand Tonics, 3 Remedies, 2 Phoenix Essence, Phoenix Incense, 4 Meads, 5 Smelling Salts, 3 Nostrums, Venom, 2 Smoke Bombs, Holy Bomb, Flash Bomb, Bedroll

Spirits
: Battle Angel (
Light
), Xut the Daemon (
Darkness
), Raiju the Raiju (
Lightning
), Ni the Shrubbery (
Wood
), Mark the Ice Cube Tray (
Ice
), Clay Golem (
Earth
), unknown (
Fire
), unknown (
Wind
)

7991957412_cb057243a6_o.jpg

Tarn Valco
(Rumble Strike)

22 year old human male Berserker

Level 17
*Immune to Fragile*

Power
: 31
(17+13+1)

Defense
: 11
(5+5+1)

Health
(7+16+10)

Gold

Equipment
: Lion’s Heart (Sword, WP: 13, Suitable for Barbarians and Knights,
Stuns
target on successful hits), Shield (SP: 5), Heavy Armour (SP: 5, suitable for Barbarians and Knights, protects from fragile-effect; bodywear), Horned Hat (SP +1, Power +1, suitable for barbarians and beast warriors; headwear)

Inventory
: Helbaerend (WP: 10;
water
ice
- and
lightning
-elemental, Hollow Blade: Grand Potion; axe), Fauxthril Spear (WP: 6), Sand Worm Hide (SP: 2; bodywear), Scroll of Weakening, Shovel, Pickaxe, Amulet of U'Kin Nobility (Grants Diplomacy to wearer when addressing a U'Kin)

gallery_4757_182_2350.jpg

Tesni Hightribe
(
Peppermint_M)

22 years old female human Berserker

Level 25 2/3
*Immunity to Afraid*

Power
: 46
(25+14+3+4?)

Defense
: 12
(6+2+4)

Health
: 44/44
(8+24+10+2)

Gold
: 805

Equipped
: Dryw ar Zoot (WP:14,
light
-elemental; longsword), Sir Roderick’s Shield (SP:6, Immunity to Afraid), Bone Claws(WP:3, SP:2; handwear), Dragon Bone Armor (SP:4, Max. Health +2; bodywear)

Inventory
: Cysgodion (WP:11,
darkness
-elemental; greatsword), Mellt (WP:10,
ice
- and
lightning
-elemental; hammer), Spiked Club (WP:8), Cryfder (WP:6), Sir Roderick’s Shield (SP: 6, immunity to afraid), 2 Potions, Remedy, Phoenix Essence, 5 Venoms, 2 Meads, 4 Smelling Salts, Nostrum, Soma, Smoke Bomb, Holy Bomb, Minimizing Dust

"Well, the lack of body means the young master is made of stern stuff. Has there been signs of his special seeing device? If that were to be damaged or broken..." Tesni shrugged, "Is anyone any good at tracking?"

"That doesn't look to good. Does anyone have a telesope they want to check out the wreck with? It would be nice to know what we're up against before we land."

QM Note: Sorry for the lack of a picture, but you have already landed and searched the wreck. You are now standing next to it.

*Back on the airship...*

Cinna accepts the Diamond from Hybros with a smile.

"Thank you. This should prove to be helpful in the tower. I must say, I am somewhat jealous of all of gems you guys are able to get ahold of. It seems like I am always short on funds myself."

"Perhaps the traits of a Sorcerer would suit you, then, hehe..."

"Hybros, I certainly would like to try out that rod of yours, it looks mighty powerful."

"Certainly, eheh..." Hybros handed over the Pheles Rod.

He looked at both Hybros and Namyrra and asked, "So where are you two from?", trying to get a conversation going whilst the airship was in flight.

"I uh... I am not sure... I suppose I am from under the earth, but before that I do not know... I..." Without having to explain himself further, Jun's crashed ship was found, and they quickly descended to investigate.

"We will have to talk later, now we must tend to our tasks..."

"Is anyone any good at tracking?"

"Give me a moment..." Hybros searched around the wreckage, trying to find something that might have traces of Jun's presence on it. He picked up a piece, sniffed it, and attempted to track down Jun's location.

"You go on ahead and find Jun, me and Monalisa will stay here at the airship to keep an eye on it."

heroicaquest15-monalisa.jpg

"We can probably salvage some of the parts from Jun's ship for later use. Let's see what we have here."

Leaving the two scientists busy at work, the heroes ventured further away from the Destiny's Bounty. It didn't take long for Hybros to track down the young Ji Pei. His footsteps were imprinted on the muddy ground, and some branches were broken on the path he had taken. They eventually found him high up on a hilltop, gazing down at the Pagoda of Nine Elements.

heroicaquest50-pagoda2.jpg

Hearing the heroes approach, Jun Ji Pei spun around drawing his two katanas from his back in the same motion.

heroicaquest50-pagoda3.jpg

heroicanpc-jun.jpg

"Don't think you can get me alive, filthy bandits!", the blue-skinned warrior shouted.

It was time for the party to try to convince Jun that they were there to help.

Tesni nudged Sir Christopher, "I do not think intimidation is the right tactic here friend, that rules me out. Try some of that holy paladin nicey nicey stuff." She winked and made a carefully nuetral stand, hands away from her weapons.

"Just remember our story..." Hybros murmured to Daggerfall out of the corner of his mouth.

"Which one" Chris mumbles to Hybros sarcastically.

Not waiting for a response Chris stepped forward and spoke "woe friend, calm down. We aren't bandits,

we're mercenaries that have been hired to deal with the 108 stars of destiney,or some such nonsense like that,

which is who I assume you've mistaken us for. Apparently they've messed with some fat-cat Dastani Merchants trade in the area, and he wants them dealt with.

Now that that's out of the way, who in the seven hells are you, and what are you doing out here in the middle of no where?

We saw some odd, wrecked magical contraption aways back, looked something like a ship. You have anything to do with it?

Chris grew quite and waited for Jun's response.

Jun seemed to relax a bit, but still kept his blades in front of him.

heroicanpc-jun.jpg

"You're Dastanese, you say? You certainly don't look like locals to me. The 108 Stars have done great damage to this corner of Xu, and robbing traders bare is one of them... I am Jun Ji Pei, and I have come all the way from the Free Islands on an airship with the same purpose as yourselves. That is if you are speaking the truth... But I guess the bandits would have ambushed me right away instead of making up lies. I am just one man, after all."

The young man measured them with his eyes. He lowered his weapons, but did not sheath them.

"You six look like able warriors, and I myself am no rookie with these katanas. What do you say, will you join forces with me to get rid of the 108 pests infesting this region?"

Hybros nodded. "It seems we share a common interest, then. We will join forces unless anyone objects. I am Hybros, by the way, and these are my fellow, erm, mercenaries. These 108 Stars... do you know anything about them that might help us? Is the any way inside the pagoda without being detected?"

Hybros nodded. "It seems we share a common interest, then. We will join forces unless anyone objects. I am Hybros, by the way, and these are my fellow, erm, mercenaries. These 108 Stars... do you know anything about them that might help us? Is the any way inside the pagoda without being detected?"

heroicanpc-jun.jpg

"May our blades sing together, Hybros, and the rest of you. I have actually studied in that pagoda for several years before my departure to the Free Islands, so I do know my way around most of it. However, it was built as a huge training area, so it contains numerous traps and hidden passages, and even during my years there I did not find them all. There are secret entrances hidden around these mountains, but do we really want to go undetected? My blades, Jindao the golden and the silvery Yindao, yearn for the blood of the rogues that have defiled these lands. The villagers down in the valley say they butchered all the Tao Warriors and their servants that used to live in that pagoda. It is my duty as one of the few remaining members of that order to avenge my fallen brethren. If you walk with me, mercenaries, know that the path will be a bloody one."

The Tao Warrior Jun Ji Pei has joined the party!

heroicaquest50-taowarriorrules.jpg

heroicanpc-jun.jpg

"I may have vengeance clouding my judgment, but I am not a fool. We should wait for nightfall before bursting into the pagoda to catch the bandits off guard. So rest now and prepare, as I have done ever since I arrived here. Once we are in, there is no return until the whole tower has been purged."

Contemplating on the words of the aoi warrior, the heroes gazed upon the nine-storied pagoda. They had a brutal battle ahead, so they needed to prepare well and thoroughly...

heroicaquest50-pagoda6.jpg

Party:

019.JPG

Sir Christopher Daggerfall (Fred Fred Burger)

27 years old male human Paladin

Level 15
*Immune to Weakened*

Power:
(15+11+2+1)

Defense:
(5+4)

Health:
35/35
(10+14+11)

Ether:
18/18
(1+15+2)

Gold:

Equipment:
Sunspear (WP:11,
light
-elemental, inflicts weakened-effect; halberd), Mockthril Shield (SP:5), Pugilist's Gloves (Power +2, protects from weakened-effect), Paladin's Armor (SP:4, Max. Ether +2)

Inventory:
Winged Sandals (Protects from bound- and slowed-effects), 3 Potions, Grand Potion, Remedy, 2 Rums, Smoke Bomb, 2 Fire Bombs, Bedroll, Shovel, Pickaxe

7799445022_26c70f4173_o.jpg

Cinna the Dark (darkdragon)

19 years old female human Mystic Knight

Level 21
*Immune to
Fire

Power:
(21+15+1+1)

Defense:
(2+1)

Health:
33/33
(5+20+7+1)

Ether:
27/27
(5+20+1+1)

Gold:

Equipment:
Mauryl (WP:15, ranged), Aurora Helmet (SP:2, immune to
fire
), High Heels (Power +1, suitable for women; footwear), Anniversary Medal:Y1 (+1 to all stats per year; accessory)

Inventory:
Healing Staff (WP:5), Pointy Hat (Max. Ether +2, suitable for mages and clerics; headwear), Amethyst (
Darkness
), Topaz (
Lightning
), Opal (
Ice
), Ruby (
Fire
), Emerald (
Wood
), Diamond (
Light
), Scroll of Sleep, 6 Grand Potions, 3 Grand Tonics, 6 Remedies, Elixir, Phoenix Essence, 4 Meads, 3 Smelling Salts, Soma, 2 Deadly Venoms, Fire Bomb, Bedroll, 3 Bones

7173335030_b2b9e10fb7_z.jpg

Hybros (JimButcher)
***Party Leader***

50-year-old male imp Assassin

Level 21 2/3
*Hastened*
*Immune to Cursed*

Power:
(21+15)

Defense:

Health:
33/33
(7+20+5+1)

Gold:

Equipment:
Zoot's Reaper (WP:15,
earth
-elemental), Golden Armor (user is permanently hastened and cursed; bodywear), Blessed Amulet (protects from cursed-effect; accessory)

Inventory:
Clock Cog (WP: 14, retrievable), Shuriken of Mercutio (WP:5, retrievable), Throwing Knife (WP:8, retrievable), Throwing Knife (WP:8, retrievable), Banana Bladerang (WP:9, damage all, retrievable), Ancient Throwing Dagger (WP: 8, retrievable), Emerald (
Wood
), 15 Potions, 14 Grand Potions, 25 Health Cores, 10 Remedies, 3 Phoenix Essences, 2 Deadly Venoms, 2 Smoke Bombs, 3 Holy Bombs, 15 Nostrums, 2 Meads, Smelling Salts, Bedroll, Shovel, Skeleton Decoy, Bone

namyrra_training_hall_avatar.jpg

Namyrra Uq (Quarryman)

1337 years old female Fenarian Evoker

Level 22
*Immune to Sealing*

Power
: 34
(22+12)

Defence
(5+3)

Health
: 29/29
(5+21+3)

Ether
(5+21+1+1+5)

Gold
: 54

Equipment
: Staff of the Necromancer (WP:12; damages undead; +1 level to raised undead; staff), Fanged Helm (SP:5, headwear), Robe of the Archmagi (SP:3, Max. Ether +5, immune to Sealing, bodywear)

Inventory
: Pheles Rod (WP:20; grants permanent Aura, doubling the user’s max. health but making all enemy attacks hit the user; staff), Snake Staff (WP:12), Shiny Dagger (WP:10), Bone Staff (WP:3), Amethyst, Opal, Emerald, Topaz, Garnet, Diamond, Ruby, Sapphire, Scroll of Blindness, Scroll of Sealing, 4 Potions, Tonic, 2 Grand Tonics, 3 Remedies, 2 Phoenix Essence, Phoenix Incense, 4 Meads, 5 Smelling Salts, 3 Nostrums, Venom, 2 Smoke Bombs, Holy Bomb, Flash Bomb, Bedroll

Spirits
: Battle Angel (
Light
), Xut the Daemon (
Darkness
), Raiju the Raiju (
Lightning
), Ni the Shrubbery (
Wood
), Mark the Ice Cube Tray (
Ice
), Clay Golem (
Earth
), unknown (
Fire
), unknown (
Wind
)

7991957412_cb057243a6_o.jpg

Tarn Valco
(Rumble Strike)

22 year old human male Berserker

Level 17
*Immune to Fragile*

Power
: 31
(17+13+1)

Defense
: 11
(5+5+1)

Health
(7+16+10)

Gold

Equipment
: Lion’s Heart (Sword, WP: 13, Suitable for Barbarians and Knights,
Stuns
target on successful hits), Shield (SP: 5), Heavy Armour (SP: 5, suitable for Barbarians and Knights, protects from fragile-effect; bodywear), Horned Hat (SP +1, Power +1, suitable for barbarians and beast warriors; headwear)

Inventory
: Helbaerend (WP: 10;
water
ice
- and
lightning
-elemental, Hollow Blade: Grand Potion; axe), Fauxthril Spear (WP: 6), Sand Worm Hide (SP: 2; bodywear), Scroll of Weakening, Shovel, Pickaxe, Amulet of U'Kin Nobility (Grants Diplomacy to wearer when addressing a U'Kin)

gallery_4757_182_2350.jpg

Tesni Hightribe
(
Peppermint_M)

22 years old female human Berserker

Level 25 2/3
*Immunity to Afraid*

Power
: 46
(25+14+3+4?)

Defense
: 12
(6+2+4)

Health
: 44/44
(8+24+10+2)

Gold
: 805

Equipped
: Dryw ar Zoot (WP:14,
light
-elemental; longsword), Sir Roderick’s Shield (SP:6, Immunity to Afraid), Bone Claws(WP:3, SP:2; handwear), Dragon Bone Armor (SP:4, Max. Health +2; bodywear)

Inventory
: Cysgodion (WP:11,
darkness
-elemental; greatsword), Mellt (WP:10,
ice
- and
lightning
-elemental; hammer), Spiked Club (WP:8), Cryfder (WP:6), Sir Roderick’s Shield (SP: 6, immunity to afraid), 2 Potions, Remedy, Phoenix Essence, 5 Venoms, 2 Meads, 4 Smelling Salts, Nostrum, Soma, Smoke Bomb, Holy Bomb, Minimizing Dust

heroicanpc-jun.jpg

Jun Ji Pei
(NPC, controlled by JimButcher)

26 years old male aoi Tao Warrior

Level 15
*Immune to
Fire
Ice
Lightning
Water
Earth
Wind
Wood
and all Effects*

Power
: 30 & 30
(15+15 & 15+15)

Defense
: 5

Health
: 39/39
(25+14)

Gold
: 0

Equipment
: Jindao (WP:15,
lightning
-elemental longsword), Yindao (WP:15,
ice
-elemental longsword), Huanglong Pauldrons (SP:5; immunity to all effects; bodywear)

Inventory
: Grand Potion, Remedy, Phoenix Essence

"That is a sound plan." Tesni grinned. With time to spare she took out her weapons and began the cleaning rituals for Dryw, Cysgodion and Mellt. Cryfder came along for the ride these days, she was loath to part with her first real weapon. If anyone wished to speak to her, she was open to conversation.

"Ahem, Sir Christopher, I see you have a pair of Winged Sandals that you're not using, may I borrow those?"

Hybros nodded and sat down with his back against a rock. Speaking to Jun, he asked. "So what is like for you back home? You are very well connected with nature, it seems... eheh, yet you are no stranger to technology, seeing your airship." While he responded, Hybros uncorked and downed a Nostrum.

Cinna walks over and sits down near Tesni, watching as the warrior maticulously worries over each blade.

"Tesni, why do you take so much care for the blades? I recently trained in the ways of a knight, but I never thought it would be so much work to care for a blade. My Mauryl pretty much takes care of herself except when she gets stuck in a bog or something."

She chuckles at the memory of pulling the broom from the bog but soon that turns to deep sadness as the memories of that quest come into her mind again. She goes silent and stares at a shining point of light in the blade of the sword Tesni is cleaning. After some moments she blinks and looks up at Tesni again with the question still in her eyes.

"It does well to keep a blade clean of anything, to maintain a sharpness." Tesni turned Dryw in the light. "These magical ones take care of themselves really, but it helps me...focus my mind on them to clean and shine them. A sword must be an extension of your body and spirit, any weapon one hopes to wield well should be meditated on, or at least cared for as one would care for themselves."