CM4Sci

LEGO Castle 2013

In fact, I bet this isn't a Castle theme at all. My money (all ten cents of it) would be on a Pirates theme.

Daring bet, considering Castle is explicitly stated in the Brickshop.nl listing from where this whole rumour started. Though if we were to disregard the other rumours, I too would think Pirates more probable for "a new take on one of the LEGO classics". Of course.

Brickshop.nl mentions "Pirate Ship" as a 2013 set. Everybody in the LOTR thread is thinking of corsairs from ROTK, but I find that possibility extremely unlikely.

They also list number 79008 for it,* which is right by the side of first wave of The Hobbit sets. While the corsairs barely have a cameo appearance in the movie (and indeed, most of them were film crew cameos), they do have one big advantage when it comes to set design: they have a pirate ship. Pirate ships are good sellers, that we know. I have a recollection that a while ago quite a few people on this board listed Corsairs in their wishes for upcoming LotR sets. I was a bit surprised by it back then, but then I understood that from the movies it's one of the things that could be most satisfactorily and easily transferred into a Lego set. Also while the set name could be preliminary, I'm sure Lego wouldn't call their own unlicenced pirate ship "Pirate Ship", but Lord of the Rings is another matter, especially if there's a slight translation thing and it should be Corsair Ship in English.

* Granted, they managed to misfile this rumoured Castle theme in their Legends category, but I think misapplying a set number randomly would be even stranger failure.

But that guy on the Brickset forum must have seriously misunderstood or be blatantly telling tall tales, because there's no chance in Dante's inferno that this Castle line, if true it is, turns out to be called Legends. Not with Legends of Chima as Lego's biggest marketing push of 2013.

Edited by Haltiamieli

It would be very nice to have a well-designed "dark" gothic Castle theme. That's more or less what the Fright Knights tried to be, but in hindsight the theme wasn't much of a success. In a way it would be nicer to see reimaginations of "failed" or "forgotten" Castle themes rather than the most beloved classics, because even the failed ones usually had good ideas which they just didn't succeed in realising to their fullest potential.

I really don't see Lego taking failed or forgotten lines and trying to bring them back. If they failed the first time, chances are pretty good they won't do to well this time around either. I mean I get what you are saying, Lego could take an old theme that could of been successful if they had done certain things differently, such as marketing or some design choices (heck, I feel like they kind of messed up with the LotR line already when it could of been huge). The thing is though, I think Lego would just be more likely to take a theme they KNOW sold well and re-do it. Look at all the people clamoring for Forestmen, Wolfpack, Black Falcons, etc.

It seems, according to a post in this thread off Brickset (http://www.bricksetf...f-castle-themes) that it may be that the LOTOR theme has not been as popular as Lego envisaged resulting in an earlier than expected return to the classic castle theme (although perhaps the Hobbit film/sets will give the LOTOR sets a boost).

I really don't know what Lego was expecting from a license that has had next to no media exposure in the past decade. Not only that, the films are rated PG-13 yet the majority of Lego toy lines are aimed at kids under 13. They didn't even release the video game till just now. A couple commercials isn't going to sell a licensed them that they just release completely out of the blue. At least when they released the Star Wars Lego line it was right around the time of the pre-quels and cartoons and everything being out. Hopefully the Hobbit films being released will really help boost sales, and we will see more sets later in 2013 than the 4 rumored on the site. Regardless this could be seen as good or a bad thing, maybe it's the best of both worlds? We get a few less LotR/Hobbit sets, but still get a decent showing and also Castle is now coming back sooner!

I've read rumor that one of the sets is a remake of http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=7946-1

Though that seems a little silly in my opinion, as that was the most recent line.

Unless of course these Lions are taking the place of the Crusaders in the new line, which could possibly mean we will see Black Falcons re-emerge.

Fingers crossed.

So many wacky details surrounding this rumor. Many good points in this thread though. Pirates does seem more likely, it does sound odd to rerelease Kings castle, and when you think about it, LotR was always a strange fit for LEGO given the relative maturity of that property.

All of that said, the best thing in the world to me would be a year where we saw Hobbit/LotR and new Kingdoms sets with a revived Black Falcons faction on the shelves.

It doesn't make sense given the history of TLGs operation, but I don't care if it makes sense. It sounds so fantastic, why bother bringing reason into things?

I know that no source has said anything about Black Falcons, but we're all thinking it.

I've read rumor that one of the sets is a remake of http://www.brickset....ail/?Set=7946-1

Though that seems a little silly in my opinion, as that was the most recent line.

That would be strange and really annoying to me. Kings Castle 7946 is the only castle I own. I've got two copies because thats the only unlicensed castle available since 2010 when I got back into lego. Seems like a waste when there's 30 years of castle history yet they pick one from just two years ago. But if it means more Kingdoms branded stuff then I'm happy either way. Very mysterious and unexpected this new castle news.

I believe we´ll see the Wild-Boar-Knights from CMF7 and the rumored good Knight from CMF9.

More or less the same happend to Monster Fighters.

I believe we´ll see the Wild-Boar-Knights from CMF7 and the rumored good Knight from CMF9.

I hadn't considered that, but it's a nice idea. Assuming that the heroic knight CMF is good. I'm betting it will be.

I doubt the inclusion of Wild Boar faction at least, Evil Knight's sigil being such a clear nod towards Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

That, and the character description has the Evil Knight as a mercenary, basically, working for Cedric the Bull, Basil the Bat Lord, and Vladek. I think the boar might work better as a standard for a mercenary group, not a full-on faction. I got several Evil Knights and just have 'em working alongside my Evil Dwarves, all serving under the Troll King (though I did enjoy looking the custom faction decals someone else on EB designed! So I wouldn't be opposed to an official faction, I just don't think it likely)

Actually, the opposite thing happened with Monster Fighters: a bunch of figs based solely on archetypes were reimagined as new, unique characters in an unconnected faction. So there's really no precedent for factions from CMF being formed into full themes.

I wouldn't hold too much onto that thought. The CMF monsters(and MF for that matter), are all basically the typical movie monster look. Just like all the other CMFs, general fig from a certain sport/activity/time period, and so on.

Plus, if this, as the rumor states, a reimagining of a classic era. There was no boar faction in the Classic Castle days.

Edited by Legocrazy81

I doubt any theme would use an exact CMF as a faction, perhaps as a template, but even MF changed the designs considerable. Especially if the Heroic Knight has a new helment though, I wouldn't be too surprised to see similar figures in a new theme.

I'm hoping that the new Heroic knight in series 9 will have the moveable visor. I plan on etting many multiples of him if he does. It would be cool if the design of the shield and armor hint at the new Castle theme though!

I'm hoping that the new Heroic knight in series 9 will have the moveable visor. I plan on etting many multiples of him if he does. It would be cool if the design of the shield and armor hint at the new Castle theme though!

Absolutely.

Helm, Armor, sword(?), shield ... excellent equip for a minifig. I hope that there're many in one box as evil knight (5x)

The idea of the sets being "remakes" of old sets sounds pretty cool. I can see a pirate ship set, a castle set, a classic space set etc. etc.

I would really love a Renascence theme. It is like a combination of castles and pirates.

No it ain't, not at all...

I'm hoping that the new Heroic knight in series 9 will have the moveable visor.

God I hope they include the Great helm, I'm sick of the pigface...

Here are some set names that someone posted on Classic Castle that claimed they were from a reliable source although these may only be tentative names for the sets. Just thought I would pass this info on here as well.

70400 Forest Ambush

70401 Gold Getaway

70402 The Gatehouse Raid

70403 Dragon Mountain

70404 Kings Castle

70400 Forest Ambush

70401 Gold Getaway

70402 The Gatehouse Raid

70403 Dragon Mountain

70404 Kings Castle

Interesting, though I have to say some of those sound extremely generic such as Kings Castle.

Well given the last two castle's have been "King's Castle" and "King's Castle Siege" I wouldn't be surprised for us to get another one similarly named.

Gatehouse Raid sounds very much like a typical mid-priced tower/fortification castle set. I must admit Dragon Mountain does sound somewhat intriguing although as there's likely to be a Smaug set coming out next year for the Hobbit sequel I doubt it will actually feature a Dragon.

There don't seem to be many peasant/non-knight type sets although it's possible the smaller sets feature merchants being robbed.

70400 Forest Ambush

:excited:

I have to admit that those names point to remakes as well. They do not seem to fit in one "story" as there is forest, dragon, kings. And the names call some memories as well. King's Castle could really be the Kingdom's King's Castle. :hmpf_bad: But I consider this as a very likely option.

Edited by PsyKater

Well. New unexpected LEGO castle sets is exciting by default.

To be honest I would have preferred a reinnassance theme, as some people suggested, than another castle and gate and military scenes.Just imagine a LEGO theme like Anno 1404...

On the other hand, new castle sets are welcome. I hope they make them really good though, because the intra-competition by the next wave of LOTR will be strong.

70400 Forest Ambush

70401 Gold Getaway

70402 The Gatehouse Raid

70403 Dragon Mountain

70404 Kings Castle

Apart from the Kings Castle (which is a very generic term), those sound pretty cool. I do hope the robbers aren't knights (but instead Robin Hood type) and are stealing from merchants, not the king (though, admitidly, that looked easy. He just let his treasure fly out the back of the carriage... :tongue: )

Very curious about whether or not 'Dragon Mountain' refers to an actual flying, fire-breathing monster or the green and black Dragon Knights faction...??

Otherwise, TLG isn't tipping its hand at all regarding the factions. So we can still hold out hope for Black Falcons or Forestmen... for now.