Peppermint_M

Post about Cartoons and Anime you like

Eh, MLP:FiM season 3 episodes 1 and 2 were just... okay.

7/10

All I can say is... Gak is back! :grin:

Oh god, please no more gak. ;_;

And yeah, agreed, they were good episodes but nothing to write home about. The concept of an empire oppressed by an evil ruler is great, but Sombre had no personality, no personality quirks, nothing. He just rode around snarling at people before being shamed by a baby dragon.

Tbh, when he was introduced, all I could think of was an emo Caesar. =P

Oh god, please no more gak. ;_;

And yeah, agreed, they were good episodes but nothing to write home about. The concept of an empire oppressed by an evil ruler is great, but Sombre had no personality, no personality quirks, nothing. He just rode around snarling at people before being shamed by a baby dragon.

Yea, I'm totally getting annoyed with Gak, too. :grin:

And yes, the execution of Sombre was extremely weak. I barely remember him. Something tells me he'll come back in the final episode of the season (something to do with his horn getting cut off).

Edited by just2good

In general I love all cartoons from the 80s - I review them on my blog:

http://american80s.blogspot.com/2012/08/cartoon-hour-3-visionaries-knights-of.html

http://american80s.blogspot.com/2012/07/cartoon-hour-2-sky-commanders.html

http://american80s.blogspot.com/2012/01/rambo-force-of-freedom.html

there's more to come!

Can't really say which one is my favorite. For a long time it has been G.I.Joe. Especially Sunbow seasons, but I enjoy DIC version too.

I saw Visionaries recently and immidiately fell in love with this show, wish they could make more episodes - there were only 13 released!

Among my favorites are also Duck Tales, original Turtles ( but last seasons are of much worse quality ), Dino-Riders, New Adventures of He-Man , C.O.P.S. animated, Centurions, Chuck Norris Karate Commandos, Transformers... and Smurfs! :sweet:

Also old Cartoon Network shows like first Johny Quest and Scooby-Doo & Scrappy-Doo :sweet:

70s Godzilla, Space Ghost, Bird Man, Conan the Adventurer, Swat Cats, Batman and more...

and of course a lot of full time length movies - Disney's classics ( Dumbo! ), All dogs go to heaven... and G.I.JOE the Movie!! - my childhood's Holy Grail :wink:

:wub: Come back good old times... pleeeease :wub:

Yea, I'm totally getting annoyed with Gak, too. :grin:

And yes, the execution of Sombre was extremely weak. I barely remember him. Something tells me he'll come back in the final episode of the season (something to do with his horn getting cut off).

I actually got a Sauron vibe from Sombra, what with him having once (presumably) been a normal unicorn but having been defeated, robbed of his physical form and reduced to a nebulous, power-mad force of evil. I think it's also quite interesting that he became more corporeal the closer he got to reconquering the Crystal Empire (it's worth noting that even when he takes unicorn shape, it's not until near the end, when he's rushing towards Spike and the Crystal Heart, that his outlines are fully-defined).

Was he really memorable as a character? Probably not. But as a looming terror he worked pretty well. And if he does get used again I wonder how he might be further fleshed-out.

Edited by Aanchir

I

the newest MLP:FiM episode, Too Many Pinkie Pies. It was pretty cute, but a bit cliche. Also,

when they make the Pinkies watch paint dry, it reminded me of the fan-fiction 'Pinkie Pie Watches Paint Dry' :grin:

7.75/10. These episodes aren't impressing me as much anymore. :sadnew:

Edited by just2good

I

the newest MLP:FiM episode, Too Many Pinkie Pies. It was pretty cute, but a bit cliche. Also,

when they make the Pinkies watch paint dry, it reminded me of the fan-fiction 'Pinkie Pie Watches Paint Dry' :grin:

I keep hearing people complaining about this season. I, for one, am enjoying the series as much as ever.

It especially frustrates me that people are continuing to treat any joke or plotline that the fans happened to come up with as derivative as soon as it appears in the show. We saw these same accusations after "May the Best Pet Win", "The Cutie Pox", "Read it and Weep", "Hurricane Fluttershy", and probably several other episodes I'm not remembering. Honestly, it doesn't seem to occur to most people that both bronies and the writers themselves base their stories/jokes on the MLP universe as established in the first season of the show, so it's no surprise that there are similarities-- though often ones that are later shown to be complete coincidences.

I

I actually found it to be pretty delightful and not cliche at all. Pinkie's a great character, and it's really great to get some character development from her. Sure, it was obviously a filler episode until we get to

Trixie's takeover

, but it was a good one at that.

Well, the MLP season opener may not have been as great as those of previous seasons, but it was still good. Quite frankly, I never expected it to beat those, seeing as they set a pretty high standard. I think the only thing that could have been better, as it has already been said, was the villain, who was hardly a character, but merely a looming menace as Aanchir said. After such great villains as Luna and Discord, a laughing cloud was quite underwhelming. :sceptic: I was hoping he'd return to his physical form completely by the end of the episode as he looked pretty interesting, but sadly no such luck. Oh well.

By the way, kudos on having the balls to attend one of the meetups, Aanchir. :thumbup: Hope you had fun.

As for the third episode, I thought it was funfunfunfunfun :grin: and I didn't think it was all that cliche. Definitely one of the better Pinkie episodes. That G3 face is going to haunt my nightmares for a while though. :wacko:

And is it just me or is

addictingly catchy? :blush:

Speaking of the Hub, what did you guys think about the Transformers Prime season finale? I felt it ended on quite a dark note. :look: Can't wait to see the next season now.

Also, did anyone watch the last episode of Kung Fu Panda, "Enter the Dragon"? I can't blame you if you stopped watching a long time ago, considering how forgettable the rest of the show is, but this one was surprisingly good! Sure, it was predictable, but it had all the heart and epicness that the show had been lacking until now, and a very serious and powerful villain to boot. If you liked the movies but were disappointed by the TV series, I recommend checking this one out.

TMNT continues to be pretty entertaining as well. It's not as good as the 2003 series in my opinion, but not bad.

'Aanchir', I see what you are saying with the jokes/fandom thing. I just thought it was a funny coincidence, seeing how I read the fanfic a couple days before the latest episode out of the whim. :grin:

And, I don't think I'll ever have "the balls" to attend a meetup. It would be pretty ackward. Though, nowadays, I always see bronies in my school, and I've made good friends with a few of them. There's also a lot of pretty pegusisters in my school, but they're never nice. It seems like they don't know the show of the shirt they're wearing. :sadnew:

Also, I saw three bronies in the mall back in September. I gave 'em brohoofs. :classic:

And for other cartoons, I'm taking a break from Regular Show and Gravity Falls. I'm waiting for Korra to come back on.

You know that just wearing the shirt doesn't mean they are a "pegasister" (sorry, she says, wearing her MLP FiM belt...) just being fashionable ironic or something like that.

So, anyone else bummed about the loss of DC Nation? I didn't ever get it but at least was able to watch the toons online. Young Justice is the best since JLU.

Yeah, it's annoying, but I don't think it's completely lost. Hopefully it will return in January as they said.

I'm not sure I agree with that last part though. YJ is good, but I think I liked Teen Titans a little better. YJ is just a little slow for a superhero cartoon at times for my taste, and some parts of it tend to leave me confused. TT was fast paced and fun, but still had great storytelling and action. However, I don't think making a TT show that's all-comedy is a good idea. It might be fun too, but I really wish they'd just finish the darn show instead. All the loose ends from the last episode of TT bug me to this day! :hmpf_bad:

And even though the prospect of no Joker makes it somewhat unappealing, I'll try to stay open-minded toward Beware the Batman until I see it.

I liked Teen Titans but I didn't enjoy is as much as I do YJ, then again I like complex and tight plotting over mindless comedy with any TV series I follow.

Today's My Little Pony episode was great. It was nice to see another slice of life episode after the last episode's wacky magical hijinks and the premiere's epic adventure story.

I'm glad to see the very serious issue of bullying was dealt with in a way that could teach kids a valuable lesson, but without seeming heavy-handed. It also was a very unique story compared to some previous Cutie Mark Crusaders episodes.

I imagine the Manehattan branch of the CMCs will serve as inspiration for dozens of fanfics. Babs Seed definitely is an interesting character, and it'll be nice if we see her again one day. She's one of the first antagonists in the show who has fully reformed, other than Luna and Chief Thunderhooves. Also, the Ponyville Harvest Parade is yet another fun tradition to add to our list of pony holidays.

Wasn't really watching for easter eggs... did anyone see any obvious ones? I've seen a screenshot that points out that when Apple Bloom is trying on outfits, she wears a pair of glasses that resemble Spider Jerusalem's from the comic Transmetropolitan, but other than that not much stood out.

Today's My Little Pony episode was great. It was nice to see another slice of life episode after the last episode's wacky magical hijinks and the premiere's epic adventure story.

I'm glad to see the very serious issue of bullying was dealt with in a way that could teach kids a valuable lesson, but without seeming heavy-handed. It also was a very unique story compared to some previous Cutie Mark Crusaders episodes.

I imagine the Manehattan branch of the CMCs will serve as inspiration for dozens of fanfics. Babs Seed definitely is an interesting character, and it'll be nice if we see her again one day. She's one of the first antagonists in the show who has fully reformed, other than Luna and Chief Thunderhooves. Also, the Ponyville Harvest Parade is yet another fun tradition to add to our list of pony holidays.

Wasn't really watching for easter eggs... did anyone see any obvious ones? I've seen a screenshot that points out that when Apple Bloom is trying on outfits, she wears a pair of glasses that resemble Spider Jerusalem's from the comic Transmetropolitan, but other than that not much stood out.

I read that Dr. Whooves was in a pear costume wearing a bowtie. I saw the fuss about it, and looked it up. Found that one of the Doctor Who doctor hates pears, and all the doctors wear bowties or something. (I'm not a big DW fan) :tongue:

-Sci

I liked yesterdays MLP:FiM episode- One Bad Apple! Yay! :classic:

It really had a good message that wasn't shoe-horned in. Though the Babs character wasn't used as much, I think she was pretty developed. The song was a bit "bubble-gummy", but it was still catchy and good. And the CMCs were so cute in this episode! :grin:

Overall, I give the episode an 8.5/10.

Edited by just2good

I liked it too. The CMC episodes tend to feel more kiddy oriented, but I still really enjoy them.

Also did anyone catch the:

A-Team musical reference? It was awesome! :classic:

Also did anyone catch the:

A-Team musical reference? It was awesome! :classic:

YES! :sweet:

During the first few notes, I thought it was the actual song! Props goes to Hasbro.

So far season 3's been pretty good. The two-parter was alright, aside from the obviously powerful but poorly executed villain, Too Many Pinkies was hilarious, and One Bad Apple is my pick of the litter so far (Gasp, a CMC episode that's good!). The song is catchy and made me thing of something from Josie and the Pussycats, loved the A-Team nod, and the message about bullying was hit squarely on the head without being too heavy handed (Er, hooved?)

Yeah, I liked it too. I find that the CMC are at their best when they're not doing any actual crusading. :tongue: Like you said, the subject matter was handled well, the A-Team reference was cool, and the song was fun, but then again I'm a sucker for catchy "bubblegummy" songs. :grin:

Well, as they pointed out on EqD, there was a pony dressed up as Strawberry Shortcake, but that's about it.

Rarity and Sweetie Belle's dad is seen on the docks in front of a house at one point in the episode, although I don't know how much of an easter egg that really is.

Rarity and Sweetie Belle's dad is seen on the docks in front of a house at one point in the episode, although I don't know how much of an easter egg that really is.

The easter egg there is apparently that he's got lunch with him, which includes a glass of "burnt juice" like Sweetie Belle prepared for him in his debut episode. So it's clear he wasn't lying when he complimented Sweetie Belle on her cooking!

Really? That's awesome!.. Although maybe he should reconsider his eating habits. :laugh:

The episode of MLP:FiM today, Magic Duel was great! It was funny, the Fluttershy parts were super cute, but their was a lot of fan service. Best of the season so far! :grin:

8.75/10