Sandy

Heroica RPG - Quest #44: My Best Friend

As we have been arguing, our companions have been searching this temple. If William and Namyrra were here, they would have found them. You know that I had a dream vision of this place. And the book. You know within yourself the book is the only way.

I am not going to unleash unrestrained chaos on the city. Put your past away, it has no bearing here. The book has the key to summoning them back from their imprisonment. Doing that will not be the end of the world. I will not let it be so.

Nerwen drew breath and stood taller

Sure I can control it? Not with absolute certainty. But I dare.

I am Nerwen Calmcacil. Two and half centuries I have walked this earth. I have seen the red rage of the orcs, I have seen the black hand of Belril the Necromancer and more besides. I have studied under the Mithrandír, under He of the stone-red-hand and in the court of the pheonix. I am the daughter of Idril and the granddaughter of Tári Mithrandír. I have guarded the woods of the twilight glade and scaled the mountains of Dastan. I am blood-friend to the Shivering Axe clan, I am a sky-warrior of the Rito. I am Cala'quessir, of the elder race, immortal save for misfortune. Before your great grandfather was wailing in his excrement, I was . I have borne two children and I captained the company of waywatchers at Harnram. Do not think that because I am now a simple cleric in service of heroica that I am lesser than all those things.

And you will not be able to destroy this book, even if you could devote two of your lifetimes of searching to do it. I know this and I tell you as someone whose words should be heeded. But I will waste no more breath on you unless you take your hand from your weapon and put aside your madness.

Guts sighed and said with a tone of sadness in his voice:

"You have changed, Nerwen. Any risk is too much. I will not allow it. I don't care about any of that, I am a simple, human man, but I have the common sense to know that you are not only after the release of the Fenarian and the Ranger. I think you are after this power you had in the vision. Who do you think gave you that vision? The Gods? Come on. You should heed the Oracle's words. Do you want to pay that hefty price? Do you want to become what you just destroyed? I am going to search this temple. I suggest you do the same."

With that, Guts turned around, going further into the Black Temple.

Nerwen's accurate memory recalled the Oracle's words perfectly.

"Guts Holla, you strive to do the right thing, but your mind is clouded by greed and pride. There will become a time when you will put someone else ahead of yourself, Guts, and that will bring you the most suffering you have ever known. But you can find the right path through that pain. Self-sacrifice leads to true awareness."

"Dreams are the mirrors of truth, Nerwen Calmcacil. But like mirrors, they can sometimes twist what is real and lead you astray. What you saw was a twisted vision from the forces of evil. When you get to the dark temple, you will find the black grimoire, but the powers it gave you in your dream come with a heavy price. Decide for yourself what is the cost you are willing to pay."

I know full well where the vision came from, and the snare before me. I see it plainly. That was the purpose of the Oracle's words, to unmask the trap. You do me wrong to think that I seek anything more than the recovery of our companions. I know the price and that choice is mine to make, a choice you deny me.

You will find nothing in this temple. If you will not hand over the book there is nothing left to do but return to the hall without them.

Your greed and pride have won.

Nerwen goes to the door out of the temple, waiting for the others.

With Nerwen out of hearing range, Guts quietly whispered:

"Or perhaps you are the person I have to take the burden from."

You will find nothing in this temple. If you will not hand over the book there is nothing left to do but return to the hall without them.
"

"We cannot do that; we cannot just RETURN! Master Guts I fear mistress Nerwen may be right about this. I am sure you too know that we, elves, do not utter lies easily. Let us search the temple, but if we find nothing, please give her the grimoire, she may be the only one that can bring our friends back. If it comes to that, the rest of us must do everything we can to help, and should it come to that, even protect her."

Drawing breath and calming slightly she continued in a sharp tone, different to her usual calm manner of speaking

Empty headed thief! Always touching, taking, stealing. No thinking about what something is. And then when it is not shiny, throwing it away. Greedy handed human! You grab at things and when you do not understand them you are like a petulant child, weak, vain, useless!

"Halimba rosto. Well said, my dear elf." Benji grins and exclaims in a happy voice after hearing Nerwen's lecture to Guts. Benji thinks to himself, starting to worry, "Wait, did I say that right? I haven't spoken elvish in such a long time..." Hoping to avoid any embarrassments that might or might not occur, Benji turns away.

"No. If we find nothing, we will go up top, and consult with the temples."

Still, I fear that book will be the key. And also keep in mind that Nerwen is a delegate of the gods too, just like the ones in the temples in town... But if that is the only way, then so be it.

Thalion searches the rest of the Temple for anything that might be a clue to their missing companions.

OOC: If nothing of interest is found, Thalion is ready to exit the temple and continue.

Edited by -obelix-

As Nerwen and Guts are arguing loudly, the rest of the party splits up to search the temple. Dreyrugr thinks of checking the stone tablet that the black grimoire laid on, but apart from a carving of an ornamental crescent moon, it is just an ordinary piece of stone.

The ruined temple has many doorways and staircases, but none of them seem to lead anywhere except to more doorways and stairs. The most interesting thing they find is three large seals painted onto the floor of a hall. Some of the symbols on the magical seals are elvish, and only one of them remains intact. The seal painted with purple on cracked tiles reads "ABRAXAS THE PROUD", the white cracked seal says "MEPHISTO THE HUNGRY", and the third, unbroken seal has the name "MARILITH THE VENGEFUL" written with red. It is as Sycamore Ziegfried told them: three archdemons used to guard the temple, but with Abraxas loose somewhere under Eubric and Mephisto banished back to his maker, only one of them remains now.

Search and shout as they may, the heroes are unable to find any trace of William Harkenshire or Namyrra Uq.

Sheathing his Sabre, as not to project the wrong impression of brutality, Thothwick followed Nerwen outside, in attempted to act as a mediator to the Cleric and the Raider; all heroes would be needed to locate their friends.

"Now, Ms. Nerwen, I don't agree with people of Mr. Holla's calibre lightly, so know that these next words I vocalise have come with the utmost consideration. The Ziegfrieds are some of the most powerful magic wielders in the land. Perhaps, even all of Olegia. And one of their number was corrupted by a Demon. It lead to her death, to the death of her husband, the ruin of their daughter, almost the death of their mater, and, by extension, the kidnapping of their nephew by a Witch. Demons corrupt.. Demons destroy. And Demons ruin. I despair at the thought of it happening to you, and your loved ones. Please, accompany me and your comrades in there, and help us search the ruins. Then we return to the surface. Consult the Oracle, the remaining Ziegrieds, whomever we can think of. At least let us be sure that there is no other alternative to finding our friends. I implore you."

"Now, Ms. Nerwen, I don't agree with people of Mr. Holla's calibre lightly, so know that these next words I vocalise have come with the utmost consideration. The Ziegfrieds are some of the most powerful magic wielders in the land. Perhaps, even all of Olegia. And one of their number was corrupted by a Demon. It lead to her death, to the death of her husband, the ruin of their daughter, almost the death of their mater, and, by extension, the kidnapping of their nephew by a Witch. Demons corrupt.. Demons destroy. And Demons ruin. I despair at the thought of it happening to you, and your loved ones. Please, accompany me and your comrades in there, and help us search the ruins. Then we return to the surface. Consult the Oracle, the remaining Ziegrieds, whomever we can think of. At least let us be sure that there is no other alternative to finding our friends. I implore you."

"Thank you, Metasimian. I don't agree with all your viewpoints, and I was no fan of your decision not to help save the Bonapartes, but your words here speak with wisdom, and with more diplomacy than I possess in my whole body. For what it's worth, I'll try to call you, uhm, not Ape or Monkey."

"No sign of them. I have this sneaking suspicion this book is the key to finding them after all. But here's an idea. I am afraid you will accidentally blow up the city, set a horde of demons loose or get posessed, Nerwen. You can call me a fool all you like, but you can't deny the possibility. Handling Demon Relics is hardly an exact science. Presumably for this to happen, there would have to be magic involved. Now hear me out: We let Benji read the book and look for a way to find or free our two lost. He does not possess any magic skill, so he can't accidentally open a portal, I presume. While we do this we keep our weapons trained on him, of course, as soon as he starts talking gibberish or making sudden movements, we stop him. Good plan?"

Edited by Scubacarrot

With heavy hearts, the party leaves the dark temple behind, taking the black grimoire and the zombie boy with them.

heroicanpc-skuld.jpg

"I'm so sorry!" Sküld sobs, with tears flowing down her cheeks as they start to ascend back to the dragon's lair. "I never thought people would die because of my quest! I'm just so... sorry!!!"

heroicanpc-shaun.jpg

"Sküüülddh saaaddhh! Shhaaaunn saaadddhh!", Shaun moans and pulls his hair in agony.

The fifteen heroes and the Nôrn and the zombie eventually emerge to the lair of Smaragdea. The mighty dragon swoops down to greet them.

heroicaquest44-smaragdea.jpg

"STINKY! YOU FOUND HIM! AND THAT AWFUL STENCH IS SUBSIDING AS WELL. WHAT EXACTLY WAS DOWN THAT AIR DUCT?"

What will the party reply to the dragon?

"Demons, undead, Evil books. The usual. You wouldn't happen to know a way to bring back people from the realm of demons, would you?"

"Demons, undead, Evil books. The usual. You wouldn't happen to know a way to bring back people from the realm of demons, would you?"

"IS THIS TRUE?! IN THAT CASE I MUST BLOCK THE VENT IMMEDIATELY! ARE YOU SAYING THAT NOT ALL OF YOU MADE IT BACK?"

heroicanpc-skuld.jpg

"Yes...*sob* Two of these great heroes got eaten by a nasty big demon... *sob* We searched everywhere, but we couldn't find them anymore... *sob*"

"I AM SORRY, LITTLE ONE, BUT AT LEAST THEY DIED FOR A GOOD CAUSE. THAT IS THE MOST VALIANT WAY TO GO. I AM GLAD TO SEE YOU SAFE AND SOUND, AND REUNITED WITH YOUR FRIEND, AS REEKING AS HE MAY BE. BUT NOW, LET US SORT THIS ISSUE OUT..."

Before anyone can say anything, Smaragdea takes flight and flies to the small hole in the wall that the heroes had just entered through, and rams her head against it so that the tunnel caves in. There was no going back to the forsaken temple now, at least not through the dragon's lair.

Benji stands grimly and silently, and watches to see how the rest of the party will react to the situation.

Thalion sighed. "This is not right... I feel as tough we've failed them... NO!!! There must be a way... And we must find it!" he thought to himslef.

After a while he spoke: "Right! We should bring Skuld home and see about our friends immediately! But what will become of Shaun? Should we take him to the guild of Invision?"

"Halimba rosto. Well said, my dear elf."

Nerwen nods as Benji thanks her for her words. Though he was a money-hungry rogue also, he seemed to have more understanding about the world.

Outside, the large form of the metasimian moved close, Nerwen paid attention to him for the first time this quest. He seemed quite different from the one she had revived in the battered throne-room of the palace in Dastan. Now armoured, muscled and hardened in visage, she thought he wore it well.

My concern is returning our friends to us, nothing more, as to how we achieve that, I do not care much. I am wary about approaching the Ziegfrieds for precisely the reasons you give, they have shown their corruptability. They will not put the return of Namyrra and William first in their thinking. But if that is what the party decides, then so be it.

"No sign of them. I have this sneaking suspicion this book is the key to finding them after all. But here's an idea. I am afraid you will accidentally blow up the city, set a horde of demons loose or get posessed, Nerwen. You can call me a fool all you like, but you can't deny the possibility. Handling Demon Relics is hardly an exact science. Presumably for this to happen, there would have to be magic involved. Now hear me out: We let Benji read the book and look for a way to find or free our two lost. He does not possess any magic skill, so he can't accidentally open a portal, I presume. While we do this we keep our weapons trained on him, of course, as soon as he starts talking gibberish or making sudden movements, we stop him. Good plan?"

Walking in the tunnel out, Nerwen responded to Guts' plan.

No. Not good plan. Benji, forgive me, does not seem the kind of person able to read elvish well, it would expose yet another to the book and one that is, you make this a feature of your plan, one that is untrained. And you would threaten him with blades while having no clue as to what form possession might take.

I say this not to make a case for myself, but to prevent you from further harming others.

Thalion sighed. "After a while he spoke: "Right! We should bring Skuld home and see about our friends immediately! But what will become of Shaun? Should we take him to the guild of Invision?"

Looking at the Mage besides her, Nerwen said quietly

Sküld said that the nôrns worship Helvetia, she of the cold embrace of death. They will know how to give Shaun peace.

Edited by Chromeknight

"FAREWELL, CHAMPIONS. AND THANK YOU AGAIN FOR THE RING! IT'S MY PRECIOUSSS..."

Saying goodbye to the dragon, with hopes that they might meet her again some time in the future, the party walks back along the tunnels that at first seemed to be endless. They pass the food storage, which is now devoid of orcs, and walk across the catacombs passing the tomb of the Golden Dragon again. When they emerged back to the cellar of the Dragon House, they saw daylight seeping through the small windows below the ceiling. Shaun let out a squeak and shirked back to the tunnel.

heroicanpc-shaun.jpg

"Briiightth liiiighthh!!!"

heroicanpc-skuld.jpg

"Oh, is it still daytime? Or a new morning? How long were we down there? My mother must be worried sick! Shaun, you better stay here for the time being. I will take you to see that doctor in the Guild of Invision later, alright?"

heroicanpc-shaun.jpg

"Aawwwriiighhtth... Tthheeenn weee plaaaeehh agaaaiiinnh?"

heroicanpc-skuld.jpg

"For sure!"

Sküld waved her best friend goodbye with a big grin on her face. Despite having seen awful things take place, she was still a child and easily forgot the horrors of the previous night. The heroes climbed out of the dusty basement with the altar girl only to meet two figures waiting for them.

heroicaquest44-dragonhouse3.jpg

heroicanpc-dragonlord.jpg

"So you were responsible for eliminating my arachnid houseguards?" asked the armoured man that many of the heroes recognized as The Dragonlord. "Tsch, now I have to make another trip to Murkwood with Smaragdea to catch a new batch..."

heroicanpc-kukulkan.jpg

"Don't forget that they also gave your dragon a plentiful sum of gold and an invaluable treasure, Cain", Kukulkan, the orc rebel leader, reminded.

"Bah! Only because they pissed her off in the first place! Don't you know the First Rule of the Dragoons: 'never cross a dragon'? But if she forgave you, then I will too."

heroicanpc-skuld.jpg

"Umm, Mister Cain? I hope you don't mind my friend Shaun living down in your basement?"

"What?! Shaun who? Explain at once!"

The party faced the fuming Veteran of their organization. What would they reply?

"I had a feeling it was your house. And nice to see you again too, Kul. Shaun's a harmless kid that lives in your basement. You haven't had a problem from him so far, so I suggest you allow him to stay. That invaluable treasure? Yeah, that was mine. Consider it the start of paying that back to me."

Guts turns to the others:

"For those that don't know, this is the Dragonlord, one of the six veterans of Heroica. I am not sure what he does exactly, except writing out lotteries."

"Shaun is a poor boy that lives in your basement, I'm sure that he doesn't create any problem. Do you know anything about the dark temple which is buried beneath the cave of your dragon?? We had a bad, very bad, encounter in this temple and we lost two great fellow heroes, we are in search of them."

To Guts, Alexander whispered "I don't think that ask for repayment in this situation is a good idea. We entered withouth permission and we destroy his spieders."

To Guts, Alexander whispered "I don't think that ask for repayment in this situation is a good idea. We entered withouth permission and we destroy his spieders."

"I meant allowing Shaun to live there as repayment. Besides, we uncovered demons right under his house, pretty sure that's more important."