just2good

Legends of Chima 2013

Also, I have some great news from Jim Foulds regarding Chima:

Chima has already been designed for the next two years! [source] (Screenshot from my phone). :classic:

Uh ... that's not at all what Jim Foulds said! The wording of your question is a bit off.

Jim's reply only indicates that Legends of Chima sets have been in development for almost 2 years by now, to his knowledge.

Chima constraction sets? It hasn't been since KK that we've had a theme with both action figures and system sets. I'm excited! If the lion is going to look like that as an action figure, it's going to be so epic. :D

-Gata signoff.png

Uh ... that's not at all what Jim Foulds said! The wording of your question is a bit off.

Jim's reply only indicates that Legends of Chima sets have been in development for almost 2 years by now, to his knowledge.

Ah, well I guess my words came out differently than how I intended. My bad, however I assume that Chima has also been designed up to 2014. It just seems from the way that the sets and concepts look, that it's story will work similar to Ninjago, with about 2 years of sets. That's just my thought from what I've seen so far.

^Ninjago has 2 and a quarter years of sets concrete.

To be honest, I'd rather have constraction figures like Knight Kingdom, rather than HF like.

Since this is theoretically NinjaGo's "replacement" I would assume that theme is intended to have longer legs than most action themes. There is, after all, a LOT of room for expansion.

About three and a half two-wave years worth, I would say. And with enough room to make a good D2C set.

To be honest, I'd rather have constraction figures like Knight Kingdom, rather than HF like.

Same here. I find HF pieces (not that I have any), in general, not particularly useful for MOCing.

Edited by Kai NRG

I'm of the opposite opinion, and since you can quite clearly see a HF Savage Planet claw on the left side of the picture, it's almost definitely going to be HF style.

I'd definitely agree that HF-style constraction makes more sense than KK-style constraction. To be honest, it's sad how long it took for constraction to become its own building system as cohesive as the earlier Technic or System styles of building. There is of course room for overlap between the building systems as always, but it's nice to have constraction sets that don't sacrifice interchangeability of parts just so they can piggyback off of an existing building style.

Besides the HF building system being more systemic in general, it also tends toward much greater posability than KK-style "click hinges" did. Previous sets primarily have used these click hinges for models that are too heavy for a ball joint to support their weight, but with the Hero Factory friction joint introduced with the Super Heroes sets this year, that has essentially become a non-issue. And the more Hero Factory and System builds gain crossover appeal, the sooner we will likely see new useful adapter pieces between the two systems like the already common ball/ball cup connector bricks. A System plate with a ball cup coming out of the bottom would be an excellent part, as would one with a ball cup coming out of the top. I don't fully expect to see these kind of parts in Chima, which seems to be strictly formula when it comes to staying within one system or the other, but they'll be quite welcome whenever and if ever they do begin to appear.

I hope it is HF-style. I love Hero Factory pieces, and have used them for many good MOCs. Chima would certainly bring some colors new to Hero Factory, which I'd love to see.

Found an image of that Chi Starter thing:

{pic}

-Sci

More vehicles with faces! Yay! :hmpf_bad:

:tongue:

Edited by just2good

Chima constraction sets? It hasn't been since KK that we've had a theme with both action figures and system sets. I'm excited! If the lion is going to look like that as an action figure, it's going to be so epic. :D

-Gata signoff.png

Superheroes has UltraBuilds. :wink:

Same here. I find HF pieces (not that I have any), in general, not particularly useful for MOCing.

That's unfortunate, since they're amazing for MOCing.

That's unfortunate, since they're amazing for MOCing.

Well, maybe. But I'm talking more about the kind of MOCing I do, usually historical. At any rate, I hope they are, because I'll probably be getting some with Kai's Robot (Ninjago).

Looking at the starter set, so it really is a lion and a wolf! It had been looking like a Owl and a Cat... Some more of those nice green leaves, but other than that...

Well, maybe. But I'm talking more about the kind of MOCing I do, usually historical. At any rate, I hope they are, because I'll probably be getting some with Kai's Robot (Ninjago).

Looking at the starter set, so it really is a lion and a wolf! It had been looking like a Owl and a Cat... Some more of those nice green leaves, but other than that...

Oooh, yes, I can see how Hero Factory parts could be difficult to use for historical MOCs. If your MOCs tended more towards fantasy-type models, then I can imagine the parts would be great for building dragons and other giant beasts, especially since Chima could very easily introduce organic-looking detail elements that could give the figures a more animalistic and less machine-tooled look. In general the streamlined look of Hero Factory shells probably works better for sci-fi MOCs than historic ones in most cases. Then again, the same could probably be true of many Knights' Kingdom style elements, and infinitely more so with the high-detail BIONICLE parts that were nevertheless a staple of the Vikings theme.

Kai's Fire Robot obviously doesn't have a huge number of Hero Factory elements, but it can probably serve as a great introduction to the system with its very basic shell and beam elements. And as I've mentioned, I am very strongly hoping that Hero Factory parts continue to overlap with System sets. We haven't seen much of that in Chima, but the existence of both constraction and System-based sets could be a good sign.

After "skim-watching" the video, that lion mask doesn't strike me as being very cool, but underneath the mask! :thumbup: awesome! :wub: Those pants look nice too, what a pity they have "claws" on them - the claws don't even really add much! :hmpf_bad:

After "skim-watching" the video, that lion mask doesn't strike me as being very cool, but underneath the mask! :thumbup: awesome! :wub: Those pants look nice too, what a pity they have "claws" on them - the claws don't even really add much! :hmpf_bad:

I totally agree.

The problem is that it seems like these minifigs will not be very useful for anything else:

A pity, even though they are cool.

Found an image of that Chi Starter thing:

-Sci

I may just start with it. :wink:

This would be one reason I do not collect HF, besides the fact I find it unappealing. The other being that I cant afford another theme...

Those pants look nice too, what a pity they have "claws" on them - the claws don't even really add much! :hmpf_bad:

White toe guards applied with black bolts...

Edited by Penkid11

I totally agree.

The problem is that it seems like these minifigs will not be very useful for anything else:

A pity, even though they are cool.

Not useful for anything else? What about aliens? Halloween costumes? Fantasy creatures? Ceremonial animal-pelt clothing? Overall, the Chima figs' parts are no more specialized than the Roboforce torsos, or the Atlantis sea creature heads/helmets, or the Ninjago NRG Ninja faces and torsos. They only really feel more specialized right now because any of them will be instantly recognizable as a Chima part, and will always apply to any current theme with an invented premise. In the very least, not one of the Chima figs seems to have anything resembling a recognizable emblem or logo on them, which makes them about as versatile as any other figs from an invented species have been in the past.

Edited by Aanchir

And what's bad about specialization anyway? This way it's a lot more fun when we find ways to use them.

Wait, so do we have names for the clans and/or characters yet? *huh* If so, can someone either list them for me or message them to me?

Wait, so do we have names for the clans and/or characters yet? *huh* If so, can someone either list them for me or message them to me?

Characters, yes. We've had a number of those since when the first pics of the first range of sets came out, since they appear on many of the boxes and in many of the set names. Clans, no. Everything I've seen seems to say just "lion clan", "eagle clan", "gorilla clan", "crocodile clan", "raven clan", and "wolf clan". It's possible that there will be more specific clan names, and also possible that the clan names will vary by language-- I haven't seen any non-translated English-language set descriptions online.

Lion clan characters: Leonidas, Lennox, Laval

Eagle clan characters: Eris, Eglor, Equila

Crocodile clan characters: Crominus, Cragger, Crawley

Raven clan characters: Razar, Razcal

Wolf clan characters: Wakz, Winzar

There are additional characters in several of the clans but I have not seen good enough quality images of the boxes to make out their names.