After many delay, now I present my new big MOC, It was in LFW in Skaerbaek.

Since I was a child I has been a fan of big trucks, and specially of American style trucks(in Spain is strange to see trucks with long noise).

For this MOC I have chosen one of the most charismatic and representative models of these trucks: a Peterbilt 379.

Peterbilt379-1.JPG

Peterbilt379-4.JPG

Peterbilt379-10.JPG

Also I have endeavored to put a version of CAT C15 engine (I'm also a fan of the brand CAT).

Peterbilt379-33.JPG

This MOC is made in a 1/10.2 scale, giving a final size of 31 studs width, 99 length and 40 high.

Here you can see some pictures taken in Skaerbaek where you can appreciate the size, there are: this Pete, the Crow's Vampire GT(scale 1:10 too...), the Nathaniel's Supercar and my Veyron.

CIMG3008.JPG

The total weight is 5.5kg, and has been one of the main problems I've had. Front axles deforms and look like the wheels has huge camber angle. This is a esthetic defect which I hate, but it has not solution if I want to keep all functions and therefore the weight of the truck. I will try to fix it comming soon.

The electric system is huge, and it has:

- 2 AA PF battery boxes

- 4 PF IR recievers

- 5 PF XL motors

- 5 PF M motors

- 1 PF switch

- 3 PF large extension wires (50cm)

Probably, the most “wanted” picture for Lego Technic followers:

Peterbilt379-18.JPG

Peterbilt379-20.JPG

CAT C15 Engine

Under the hood you can find a replica of the CAT C15 engine, with its 6-cylinder in line.

Peterbilt379-34.JPG

The engine doesn't have the sides covered to appreciate that the cylinders are located in the same order as the real engine, with 120 ° intervals between them. Getting those 120 º between cylinders was very complicated but I thought it was necessary to be more faithful to the original.

zPeterbilt379-13.jpg

The engine also has a motor M to rotate it, which is connected directly to a battery. Between the engine and the M motor there are a differential, which is also connected to the drive motors, so that the engine is always at idling, but when you starts the drive motors the C15 accelerate adding both speeds. The rotation speeds grow up from 250 rpm up to 700 rpm aprox.

Pneumatic system

After almost 10 years without using pneumatics in any of my MOCs, I decided this was the perfect model to use it.

The pneumatic system the truck runs along the complete truck, mainly controlling the suspension and brakes on all axles.

The pneumatic system is composed mainly:

- 2 Small pumps (6L)

- 1 Large pump (for emergencies).

- 2 Air tanks

- 7 Small cylinders

- 8 Large cylinders

- 7 Valves

- 1 Manometer (LEGO part n.64065)

- 22 T connectors

- And about 5 meters of pneumatic tube in 3 colors: blue, black and light gray.

All pneumatic control is located on the right side of the truck inside the fuel tank.

Peterbilt379-24.JPG

Also in the cab, between the seats, there is a manometer to measure the system pressure, it is very useful to know how much air have you at any moment.

Axles

As the real truck it has live axles. Both rear axles are driven without differential between them.

In each axle between the differential and the wheel the axls has gear ratio 12/20 to reduce necessary torque in the differential and protect bevel gears.

The front axles uses the same steering system as the real Pete, of course the steering wheel turns too, also it turns 4 laps, again as the real Pete

- Suspension

The suspension is fully pneumatic in all axes, and it doesn't use any spring to help.

The front axle has 4 big cylinder and each rear axle 2.

Peterbilt379-23.JPG

- Brakes

The brakes as the real truck are drum brakes, there are a drum on each side of each axle, all of them controlled by a small pneumatic cylinder.

The control of these pistons are made through two valves, one for the front axle and one for the rear axles.

zPeterbilt379-25.JPG

For normal braking the brakes operate all at the same time, but only while you are keeping push the brakes botton.

Peterbilt379-29.jpg

But you have also parking brake mode, if you push the brakes botton in the opposite direction only rear brakes works, and they will not disabled if you stop pressing botton. To remove the parking brake you only need use the normal brakes.

- Auxiliar output

Behind the cabin there is an auxiliar pneumatic output(blue connector), where you can connect anything you want. The valve to activate it is located before the rear-right wheel

Transmission

The transmission is the biggest mechanism of the truck, and it has an approximate size of 25x7x45 studs.

It uses 4 XL motors for drive.

The transmission has 18+2R speeds(this is true, is not a joke...).

Peterbilt379-15.JPG

The transmission is divided in two parts: the main gearbox with 9+R speeds with automatic clutch(this gearbox is based on the LR Defender), and a transfer case with 2 speed (H and L)

Joint both gearboxes the result is this:

RL-1:0.261

RH-1:0.29

1L (1) - 1:0.324

1H (2) - 1:0.36

2L (3) - 1:0.432

2H (4) - 1:0.48

3L (5) - 1:0.54

3H (6) - 1:0.6

4L (7) - 1:0.72

4H (8) - 1:0.8

5L (9) - 1:0.9

5H (10) - 1:1

6L (11) - 1:1.2

6H (12) - 1:1.33

7L (13) - 1: 1.5

7H (14) - 1:1.67

8L (15) - 1:2

8H (16) - 1:2.22

9L (17) - 1:2.5

9H (18) - 1:2.78

Auxiliar electric output

As I said before, the truck has an auxiliar pneumatic output, but also it has an auxiliar electric output too.

There you can connect anything you want, and control it with the remote controller.

To avoid leaving this connetor without any use I have added a fifth wheel(trailer connector).

- Fifth wheel

Note: right now I don't have intention to do a complete trailer.

It is very simple and effective. The kingpin diameter is 1 stud.

Peterbilt379-30.JPG

Finally as always, you can see a complete video with all features showed:

For more detalied information visit sheepo.es

I hope you like it!!

Oleee, oleee y oleee. Without words again but still looking for faults :laugh: , be carefull with the steering eurobricks is hot with it :devil: , I know you will find the best solution. In the end you build cat machinery like me :sweet: .

Oh good lord !

At first I didn't realise it had unimog wheels, but when I saw the picture with the supercars.

Impressive functions as always. I feel that if you make trailer it needs to have a uncommon functionality to match the complexity of your truck.

WOW! Absoloutly huge... looks like optimus prime :laugh: The drum brakes are very clever!

If you were to add anything, a big grey dump truck tipper would be my vote :thumbup:

Great MOC! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: It is faithful to the real Peterbilt 379s driving on the American Interstate system near here:

Peterbilt379-1.JPGpeterbilt-379-02.jpgPeterbilt379-34.JPGA003597Bedit.jpg

That's unbelieveable good work :thumbup: :thumbup:

While the video was playing I was like :oh:*oh2**huh*:sweet::laugh::wub:

How does the automatic pump work? Has the manomater a function I don't know about?

Anyway, great, great job on this (as always) :thumbup: :thumbup:

Amazing truck with lots of cool functions in it. :wub::wub_drool:

That's unbelieveable good work :thumbup: :thumbup:

How does the automatic pump work? Has the manomater a function I don't know about?

Like this....

figure_2_28_controller_valve_off_s_lrg.gif

cool truck. how did you make the linkage of your rear axles? can you show the front axle in detail?

Edited by efferman

Wow Sheepo :drool: now i must clean mine floor. this is a amazing Peterbilt you made with so many futures in it. the looks,brakes, engine, suspension and gearbox :thumbup: I am in love Sheepo :wub::laugh: , what a great MOC

Edited by VFracingteam

I'm totally in awe, this is an awesome moc, I've never seen anything like it. :laugh:

I'd like to know how to make a sequential gearbox though. What if you keep pushing up on the remote, does it keep switching gears then? Awesome feature with the liftarm showing the gear number too.

Sheepo, stop. Your MOC's are beyond what us mortals can understand.

That's just insane what you have build. Fantastic job!

1) How do you manage the friction in the gearbox? I know that with the vampire GT it already has a lot of friction, and yours has 3 times the gears...

2) I still dont understand how that gearbox works, would you mind explaining?

Amazing truck with lots of cool functions in it. :wub::wub_drool:

Like this....

[...]

It is similar to this, but I used a shock absorber, not a rubber bands, to keep the force always constant along the time.

Thanks for your comments guys!!!

Fantastic like youre other moc's, Sheepo!

Does the front axle have steering geometrie in it? Or was it not possible for the weight?

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Tibivi

Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god, oh my god :wub: This is undoubtedly the most amazing lego truck I've ever seen :cry_happy: Please tell me you've made instructions and want to sell them :grin: I don't think I would be the only one interested in buying them!

That's just insane what you have build. Fantastic job!

1) How do you manage the friction in the gearbox? I know that with the vampire GT it already has a lot of friction, and yours has 3 times the gears...

2) I still dont understand how that gearbox works, would you mind explaining?

Actually the Vampire Gt gearbox operates very smoothly, in fact it is much much smoother than the typical 8448/8466 gearbox setup, especially in reverse. This is primarily based on the fact that he used liftarms to keep the gears uniform and didn't use 1/2 stud offsets. But I agree, if you would add 3 times the amount of gears, it would seem that you would get a great deal of binding at some point. But then again, if it is built properly and everything is aligned using liftarms, then I would imagine that everything will work no matter how many gears that you add, which is probably what Sheepo did here.

From my experimentation with various gearboxes and such, I have noticed that the ones that tend to have a lot of friction are ones where perpendicular connectors are used because they have a tendency to not stay true on the axle that is supporting them, thus leading to a bind up from time to time.

Thankfully am not a mortal so I can understand fine. :blush:

Thankfully am not a mortal so I can understand fine. :blush:

I thought you were an islander not the highlander! :D