just2good

2013 LEGO Pirates rumors and discussion.

Could this post by someone who works at LEGO mean the revival of Pirates in Summer 2013?

Hey, very interesting!

For those who don't want to search, it's all in this sentence : "A new take on one of the LEGO classics launching 2HY 2013."

If I'm not mistaken, there are only 3 Lego themes, currently not on shelves, which can be named "classics" : Pirates, Castle and Space.

However they probably don't want to release a new Castle theme since LOTR has just shown up. Also, there is a new Space theme coming in 2013, and it certainly doesn't look like Classic Space sets...

Just my two cents :)

I think this thread can definitely be renamed "2013 Pirates" though...

Intriguing. Another possibility is that he is referring to Lone Ranger as a new version of the western theme.

I would think Galaxy Patrol is launching in the first half of the year, based on the comic hyping it up in the latest club magazine.

I'm pulling for pirates though.

Well since Lego is a kids toy i think childrens intrest in pirates is not really there. Now a days kids are more into star wars and super heros which lego is focusing alot on those themes.

is that why playmobil is doing really well with its pirate or western line?

Well, there hasn't been any news or rumors yet, so no. I do suggest a title change to '2013 Pirates?'. :pirate_sad2:

Or how about we start a new thread so we don't confuse the two different topics? 2012 is done as far as "new" sets goes so this topic, IMHO, should be locked as reference material if someone is looking for 2012 information/speculation.

Continuing a single thread for speculation for all time is absurd. Imagine someone joins EB in 2014 and wants to find info on new Pirate sets. They would have to wade through page after page of 2012, 2013 and 2014 info before finding something useful. I think EB is going to be around for a long time so let's keep each year a separate topic thanks.

I found some possible 2013 "Lego Pirate" news...

this: http://www.brickshop....html?Itemid=56

Obviously its not Pirate themed, but it is a pirate ship, and for that I'm excited.

Maybe its the ship seen here

http://ow.ly/i/HJQX/original

in the middle of the page slightly to the left. (After the Atlantis display but before the Buzz and Woody)

As for this

Hey, very interesting!

For those who don't want to search, it's all in this sentence : "A new take on one of the LEGO classics launching 2HY 2013."

If I'm not mistaken, there are only 3 Lego themes, currently not on shelves, which can be named "classics" : Pirates, Castle and Space.

However they probably don't want to release a new Castle theme since LOTR has just shown up. Also, there is a new Space theme coming in 2013, and it certainly doesn't look like Classic Space sets...

Just my two cents :)

I think this thread can definitely be renamed "2013 Pirates" though...

I think he could be referring to a revival of the LEGO LEGENDS line?

http://www.brickshop.nl/lego/legends.html

Edited by yys4u

Or how about we start a new thread so we don't confuse the two different topics? 2012 is done as far as "new" sets goes so this topic, IMHO, should be locked as reference material if someone is looking for 2012 information/speculation.

Continuing a single thread for speculation for all time is absurd. Imagine someone joins EB in 2014 and wants to find info on new Pirate sets. They would have to wade through page after page of 2012, 2013 and 2014 info before finding something useful. I think EB is going to be around for a long time so let's keep each year a separate topic thanks.

I took the 6 posts above mine from the 2012 thread, poured some Rum on them and they became their own thread.

Obviously its not Pirate themed, but it is a pirate ship, and for that I'm excited.

Maybe its the ship seen here

http://ow.ly/i/HJQX/original

I don't think anything there really looks like the Corsair ships from the film:

Corsairs.jpg

I think he could be referring to a revival of the LEGO LEGENDS line?

It's not a revival of Legends, said shop just lists all special items (Modular Buildings, Winter Village etc.) under Legends title. Sets 70400-70404, true or not, are probably there just by accident. Their set numbers would indicate normal retail series.

But yes, I think it's probable that the designer is referring to those sets.

Edited by Haltiamieli

I found some possible 2013 "Lego Pirate" news...

this: http://www.brickshop....html?Itemid=56

You've just made me super excited! I wasn't really pleased with POTC sets (I'm not really into licensed minifigs, which were clearly the big highlight of these sets), with an exception for Queen Anne's Revenge, which is fantastic.

I would be more than happy to see Pirates return. Apart from the childish skull design, there was still so much to do with the 2009 line... Some new elements hasn't been used to their max potential, like the half-island baseplate. In a perfect world, maybe the bluecoats would return...?

Corsairs.jpg

Hmm good point. I had forgotten what those ships looked like. Someone on another forum told me the ship I pointed out was probably the scrapped Flying Dutchman...

I took the 6 posts above mine from the 2012 thread, poured some Rum on them and they became their own thread.

Thanks for doing that. I hope we get something Pirate-y in 2013.

A new Pirate ship shall be greatly welcomed, regardles of theme.

A new Pirate ship shall be greatly welcomed, regardles of theme.

I second that, I never kept a set as it is anyway, everything is sacrificed for the sake of better mocs, new ship parts or more variety in colors of parts would come in handy :pir-classic:

I'd definitely buy the LOTR ship, as it would add new variety to ship parts. I'm hoping above all though for a return of classic pirates and /or POTC, but it might be a little late for that.

Corsairs.jpg

The LotR Corsair ship would be a rather impressive change of pace. Just think of the possibilities from those ribbed triangular sails? Looking at that picture from the movie, and knowing how good Lego is at making great ship sets, I can't see any way it comes out bad. (Well OK just so long as they steal clear of the Ninjago and Spongebob design aesthetics /shudder)

I'm very sceptical that this will be Pirates, although I am always hopeful that they will return.

I think he's more likely referring to the space bugs thing.

I'm very sceptical that this will be Pirates, although I am always hopeful that they will return.

I think he's more likely referring to the space bugs thing.

Space bugs thing = Galaxy Squad, which is mentioned earlier on in that post,

set for release in the first half of next year. Can't be Insectoids.

I read in a LEGO blog (don't remember the name, but its one that's referenced here a lot, and can be deemed legitimate) that their sources are confirming Castle as the theme returning next summer. If this is true, then :cry_sad: But, why reboot Castle if TLG already ended Kingdoms AND will be having LOTR/Hobbit running at the same time?? :wacko:

Although it looks like the returning theme is Castle, I still keep hope for Pirates! :blush:

Well if Castle is returning then I think it will be a while before we see pirates again.

Well if Castle is returning then I think it will be a while before we see pirates again.

It is pretty clear that we are getting an LotR corsair ship. It is also pretty clear that we won't get any pirates for 2013. :look:

It is pretty clear that we are getting an LotR corsair ship. It is also pretty clear that we won't get any pirates for 2013. :look:

Well, corsairs are technically pirates...

Well, corsairs are technically pirates...

Yea, but it's going to be more castle than pirates. So I am pretty disappointed that there is not going to be a pirates theme for 2013. Unless, can someone please prove me wrong? *huh*

No proof or evidence or anything but HARD SPECULATION:

The revolutionary soldier minifig that is said to be coming with a new book in the near future has an awesome 18th century wig. It seems odd impossible that Lego would go to the trouble of moulding this without plans of re-using it. And it'd be nice to think that it'd go very, very well with a new pirates theme?

Also, historically there isn't much preventing Lego having another pop at pirates next year. The 2009 series was cut short before its time by PotC, is all.

Overall, I am disappointed by the lack of pirate sets in 2013, but the LOTR set does potentially does look promising.

The revolutionary soldier minifig that is said to be coming with a new book in the near future has an awesome 18th century wig. It seems odd impossible that Lego would go to the trouble of moulding this without plans of re-using it. And it'd be nice to think that it'd go very, very well with a new pirates theme?

Is it confirmed the revolutionary solider is coming with the book? Last I heard the rumour was the tin soldier was going to be the book minifigure and the revolutionary soldier would be part of CMF series 10. The tin soldier seems to be a more intuitive choice for the book to me. I may of course be completely wrong...

Your argument on the mould seems plausible but there's been many CMF with new moulds that aren't looking like they'll be re-used? (e.g. All of the animal suits)

That said I do think a Classic Pirates release in 2014 is likely and if it does happen I agree it would seem silly not to re-use the wig piece for some of the minifigures.

Edited by Weil