CM4Sci

LOTR & The Hobbit 2013 Set Discussion

Why not a Nazgul on a fell beast? In the Dead Marshes or Osgiliath... or even better Minas Morgul (yeah, right!)

Why not a Nazgul on a fell beast? In the Dead Marshes or Osgiliath... or even better Minas Morgul (yeah, right!)

Well, we'll hopefully some day get Dernhelm's (and Merry's) fight against Witch-king (that's the number one on my personal wish list, I think), which would make another set with a Nazgûl and a winged beast rather redundant.

Edited by Haltiamieli

Yes, hopefully, but if we don't... (and there's no guarantee that we will).

I honestly can't think of any other way to have a Frodo + ringwraith set except in the shire, which would probably be redundant due to Weathertop anyway?

Do You guys know what about I am really dissapointed? With Rohan and Rohhirim soldiers. In the movie,they are my favourite soldiers,because I really love when they are marching o their horses,they so powerful and moral speeches,but in the LEGO,I hate the most Rohan soldiers.Because we will saw in the Lego Lord of the rings the video game only 1 design of Rohan soldiers,and that is the one we get in the Uruk-hai army set.They shuld put so many different designs of Rohan soldiers,whit different helmets,shields,weapons,body printings,expecially Rohan guardians.

"Frodo and the Ringwraith" isn't necessarily the Weathertop scene. It could be in the Shire, or it could even be the confrontation with the flying Nazgul in Osgiliath, towards the end of TTT. Doubtful, but it's possible.

"Pirate ship" is somewhat suspect in my opinion. The corsairs aren't in the film for more than one solid minute, and literally the only thing they do is get killed by the Dead. Sure, the ships look cool, but what are the chances TLG will make a set based on such a minor scene in only the second wave of the theme?

"Eagle's Nest" will only happen if it's the introduction of a new Eagle mold. Lego is swamped with brick-built eagles and eagle-like craft next year, with a Creator eagle (which is actually the perfect size for a Middle-Earth eagle) and an eagle faction in Chima.

I also doubt that they are going to combine LOTR and Hobbit into one wave, for all the reasons we've talked about before. I don't trust this list.

I don't trust this list.

Ya, the more I started thinking about it the more I started to doubt that list as well. I mean I guess it's possible, it just seems like a really weird combination of sets (like the rumored sets before having odd minifig assortments and price points for what they were). Why would Lego release an eagle nest set in June when supposedly the first movie ends right as the eagles are picking up all the dwarves and Gandalf/Bilbo? Sure the scene might end at the nests... but still, why wouldn't Lego release the set when the second Hobbit film is being released and excitement for the theme is at it's height? It's not like it would be hard by any means to fill a second LotR wave with just LotR themed sets.

As for the Corsair ship, it just seems totally off. It might be a decent way to include the undead Oathbreakers, but even then it's in the films so little (even in the extended editions) that it seems highly unlikely. Especially when other sets could be done like the Ents or something Minas Tirith/Osgiliath related that take up huge portions of the films and are super iconic. With the first two LotR/Hobbit waves Lego pretty much stuck to iconic scenes we would expect to see. We didn't get a Prancing Pony or Watcher in the Water set because those scenes aren't thought of by most to be as iconic as others. The same with the Hobbit sets, we pretty much got one set per chapter depicting an iconic scene minus the Trollshaw (which is to be expected with limited set spots to fill and just getting a troll in the first LotR wave). We didn't get a set with the mountain giants hurling rocks, even though it's mentioned, because it's not as big of a scene (at least in the book).

The list almost seems like it's from the June 2013 LotR wave AND the December 2013 Hobbit wave. It also doesn't seem complete by any means with only four sets listed.

I'm rather disappointed by this list, but I guess it's mostly because of the very unappealing, unofficial names.

I want to see the Witch-king in a set with some Gondor/Pelennor sets - mixed Hobbit and LOTR sets? Not sure what to think of this.

Hoping for separate waves.

Edited by General Magma

I'm a little slow on the uptake, but I count a total of 3 Rohirrim in the current sets (Eomer, Theoden and a warrior). There are TONS of Uruk-hai available right now...more Rohirrim would be welcome.

I'm a little slow on the uptake, but I count a total of 3 Rohirrim in the current sets (Eomer, Theoden and a warrior). There are TONS of Uruk-hai available right now...more Rohirrim would be welcome.

Well, as of right now there is only one elf out (two if you count Elrond) and zero Gondorians. Three Rohirrim is a lot compared to those numbers! Granted I am sure in future waves we will see more Rohan soldiers, with different molds and designs, it's just hard for Lego to cram so much stuff into one wave right now. Especially when they have at least nine minifigure slots being taken up by the Fellowship.

Edited by Deathleech

....it would already suffice if they make one battle pack with some soldiers from different armies. Yep, that would make me happy! :classic:

Well, as of right now there is only one elf out (two if you count Elrond) and zero Gondorians. Three Rohirrim is a lot compared to those numbers! Granted I am sure in future waves we will see more Rohan soldiers, with different molds and designs, it's just hard for Lego to cram so much stuff into one wave right now. Especially when they have at least nine minifigure slots being taken up by the Fellowship.

Three elves: Elrond, Legolas and Haldir.

And while there is only one version of the Rohan soldier, that still allows for more army building possibilities than we were given for Gondor. It would make sense if LEGO released a BP based on the Warg ambush from TTT. That way we get more plain orcs, Rohirrim and TTT Wargs, allowing for the larger sets to focus more on Gondor's armies (I would especially love to see Faramir and the rangers of Ithilien. They would be a great scouting group within a larger Gondor army)

Ahh right, I should of specified I was thinking of them as different factions similar to Gondor/Rohan...

Edited by Deathleech

Ahh right, I should of specified I was thinking of them as different factions similar to Gondor/Rohan...

Oh, I see. I find I treat my armies much the same as how they are split up in the Battle for Middle-Earth 2 game, with Men together, Elves together, and Dwarves and Men of Dale together. It's interesting to see how people split up their armies. Anyway, that was ridiculously off topic.

On a more topic-related note, does anyone think that LEGO will make the printed armour piece for Mordor orcs shown in the trailer for the game? It would be amazing if they did, because it would allow for a lot more variation within Mordor armies.

Edited by Fives

My thoughts?

Frodo and the Ring. My best bet is a small inexpensive set meant to give that the impression of that classic scene from FotR, seen in both film versions of the movies, where the hobbits hide in the roots of a tree while a Nazgul rides by, while on the road to Bree. I kind of hope I am wrong about that. The onlt two other direct confrontations between Frodo and Nazgul besides Weathertop, were the ride to Rivendell after Frodo was stabbed, which would be awesome! Several mounted Wraiths and a good way to put Arwen in a set. Or the scene in Two Towers where Frodo is facing the Wraith on the flying Fel Beast. Which is kind of boring. And if they were to build a fell beast, they would be much better doing the Eowyn vs the Witch Kind fight.

Pirate Ship - I actually think this one is probably the most likely on this list. Pirate ship is obviously a not too bad translation of Corsair. The ships are distinctive. They would appeal to both Castle types and classic Pirate fans. They would add an interesting new style to the ships. Possibly something between PotC ships and the Ninjago ship. The ships were one of the few large vehicles to appear in the movies, and they have two scenes. The one where Aragorn takes the ships and the one where the dead pour out to help save Minas Tirith. While brief scenes, they would make for spectacular sets using all sorts of Lego elements. Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas, Anduril, some nice skellie warriors and some Corsairs. Lots of good potential to make an all time classic set there.

The Eagles set we know we will see at some point. It's too iconic a scene. How it will look remains to be seen.

The Frodo & Ringwraith set could be a good opportunity to introduce an invisible Frodo minifigure.

And while there is only one version of the Rohan soldier, that still allows for more army building possibilities than we were given for Gondor. It would make sense if LEGO released a BP based on the Warg ambush from TTT. That way we get more plain orcs, Rohirrim and TTT Wargs, allowing for the larger sets to focus more on Gondor's armies (I would especially love to see Faramir and the rangers of Ithilien. They would be a great scouting group within a larger Gondor army)

I think there are actually 7 diferent elf minifigs that we have positively seen (either out now or will be out in a matter of days). 2 out in the LotR sets, 1 as the preorder bonus and 4 in the new Hobbit sets out next month. Of them we have 5 of the Mirkwood Wood Elves (including 2 versions of Legolas), 2 Rivendell Elves (Elrond and Haldir) and sadly none of the Lothlorien ones as of yet. And even sadder none of the generic helmeted archer elves from Helms Deep. Outside of Haldir none of them are really suited to army building. (Maybe the guard and wine butler from the Barrel set?)

I think there are actually 7 diferent elf minifigs that we have positively seen (either out now or will be out in a matter of days). 2 out in the LotR sets, 1 as the preorder bonus and 4 in the new Hobbit sets out next month. Of them we have 5 of the Mirkwood Wood Elves (including 2 versions of Legolas), 2 Rivendell Elves (Elrond and Haldir) and sadly none of the Lothlorien ones as of yet. And even sadder none of the generic helmeted archer elves from Helms Deep. Outside of Haldir none of them are really suited to army building. (Maybe the guard and wine butler from the Barrel set?)

Actually, Haldir is a elf of Lorien. The reason when he arrives at Helm's Deep he says "I bring word from Lord Elrond of Rivendell" is because Elrond and Galadriel communicated telepathically and came to the conclusion to aid the men of Rohan. It was Lothlorien who sent the army. So as of right now, we have representations from each major elven location in Middle-Earth, just not in army sizes.

Actually, Haldir is a elf of Lorien. The reason when he arrives at Helm's Deep he says "I bring word from Lord Elrond of Rivendell" is because Elrond and Galadriel communicated telepathically and came to the conclusion to aid the men of Rohan. It was Lothlorien who sent the army. So as of right now, we have representations from each major elven location in Middle-Earth, just not in army sizes.

Haldir's the dude that captures the fellowship in Lothlorien too btw, for further confirmation.

Haldir's the dude that captures the fellowship in Lothlorien too btw, for further confirmation.

That is kind of what I thought, and it is a point thta has always confused me about him? In the Two Towers he clearly says he is there under the orders of Elrond and seems to indicate that his company is of Rivendell? This may also simply be confusion because they never really laid out the hard boundaries between the various elvish societies in the movies. so yeah, depending on how you interpret where Haldir is from it is either 5, 2 and 0 or 5, 1 and 1. :wacko:

I do so wish they had released at least one minifig with an elven style helmet. That way we could make an attempt at building an army and not have them all quite so blonde. :cry_happy:

On a side note. If Lego does do a large D2C exclusive set to close out the Middle Earth line, like they did for Harry Potter, I think I have found the perfect scene or setting. If you want to end it, then do it where it ends. A Grey Havens set. The Grey Elven ship. A small dock. Bilbo's cart and Old Bilbo, Fancy Dress Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippen. Gandalf, Elrond, Galadriel and Celeborn. Just my speculative 2c :sweet:

The Frodo & Ringwraith set could be a good opportunity to introduce an invisible Frodo minifigure.

I can imagine the confusion when you open the box... "hej, my Frodo minifig is missing"... let's contact TLC... awnser: "no really, the fig is in the box, keep searching" :grin:

Frodo and ringwraith is probably scene when Frodo,Sam,Merry and Pippin escape under the land and ringwraith was on the horse searching for them,but I wish to se these sets:

1. set- Witch king on fell beast,Eowyn in armor,Theoden in armor (but also with extra hair) and white horse, Merry in armor,Gamling on horse

2. set-Legolas,Mumakil,mumakil leader,3x evil mans 2x undead soldiers,one Mordor orc,and one Rohan soldier (but with different printings and helmet) on brown horse

3. set-Gates of Minas tirith,Grond,Gothmog,2x Trolls,Gandalf the white,3x mordor orcs,4x Gondorian soldiers

4. set-The Black Gate, Mouth of Sauron,Olog-hai,Aragorn in gondorian armor,3x Gondorian soldiers,2x Rohan soldiers, 4x Mordor orcs

5. set-BATTLE PACK-3x Rohan soldiers on horses (all in different body printings and helmets) 2x Warg riders all on wargs and Sharku on warg also

6. set-Edoras,a couple of houses,one big house for king,corupted Theoden,Grima,4 peasants,2x Rohan guardians,Eowyn,Gandalf the White

7. set-Amon-Hen tower,Lurtz in armor and tail hair,3x Uruk-hais with different helmets like in Amon-her,Boromir with horn and sword and also with grey cape,Merry and Pippin

8.set-Council of Elrond.one part of Rivendell,Elrond,Boromir,Gandalf the Grey,some elves,Gimli,and some dwarves

9. set-(Minas tirith battle pack) one part of the roundish wall which You can continue on the gates,moving tower,catapult,3x Gondorian soldiers 3x Mordor orcs,2x Trolls

10. set Osgiliath,Faramir,Madril,2x striders,3x Gondorian soldiers, nazgul on fell beast,2x orc boath,Gothmog,6x orcs

11.set-Cirith ungol-Sam,frodo (webbed) Gorbag,Shagrat,3x orcs

12. set.Minas Morgul-Witch king on fell beast,Frodo,Sam,Gollum,8X Morgul orcs,Mountain troll

13.set-Bilbo's Birthday,2x Shire houses,Bridge,6x Hobbits,tent,chairs....

Now THE HOBBIT SETS:

1. set-3x Trolls,Gandalf,Bilbo,Thorin,Balin,Kili,Gloin,and secret treature in cave (Glamdring,Sting,Orcrist)

2. set-Dinner with Beorn,Beorn's cave,Beorn in bear and human form,Gandalf the Grey,Bilbo,Bombur,Balin,Bifur

3.Battle of 5 armies: Bolg,Beorn (he killed Bolg,son of Azog) Thranduil,Thorin,Laketown man's,Elves,dwarves,Eagles,Wargs and goblins

Edited by Lordof theBricks

I can imagine the confusion when you open the box... "hej, my Frodo minifig is missing"... let's contact TLC... awnser: "no really, the fig is in the box, keep searching" :grin:

I wonder why they don't simply use the Harry Potter Invisibility cloak piece as a play feature for when Frodo or Bilbo are wearing the ring?

If there is going to be a balrog set, the balrog whip could be like this dumbledores wand with fire pieces

I wonder why they don't simply use the Harry Potter Invisibility cloak piece as a play feature for when Frodo or Bilbo are wearing the ring?

That was terrible, but it did work for harry potter cause it was representing a cloak. I don't get peoples obsession with having some for of an invisible minifig.

I don't feel that an invisible Frodo is necessary. Look at the picture from the Barrel Escape set. Bilbo is clearly meant to be wearing the Ring, but they didn't go to the bother of making a special figure, because people can use their imagination with the figs. Sure, an invisible Ring bearer fig would be an awesome collectible, but I doubt a kid playing with their figures would really care. They would just pop the Ring on and off the characters hand.