mrplease

2011 Kingdoms + US prices

Here's a bit of thinking out loud:

With the enemy knight in the Kingdoms Joust set being a Falcon Knight rather than a Dragon Knight, and assuming that Kingdoms Joust is going to stick around for a few years (a la Medieval Market Village), could that be a sign that the next Castle theme might be a "Kingdoms II" featuring the same Lion Knights but with Falcon Knights as the bad guys? LEGO could even use the Kingdoms Joust set as a backstory to why the Lion and Falcon Knights started fighting with each other.. Like the Falcon Knight disrespected the King at the joust tournament, something like that. :laugh:

You gotta admit, Kingdoms Joust would be a pretty perfect "bridge" set for a Kingdoms II theme with Falcon Knights as the bad guys.

Or the Falcon Knight in the Kingdoms Joust is just an homage to the Crusaders vs. Black Falcons of the 80s.. But one can hope it's not only that!

It could certainly happen, just not anytime soon. As long as there are LOTR sets I think Kingdoms will be in hibernation; seeing as there are movies coming out until December 2013, I could imagine a "Kingdoms II" as you called it during the summer of 2014.

It could certainly happen, just not anytime soon. As long as there are LOTR sets I think Kingdoms will be in hibernation; seeing as there are movies coming out until December 2013, I could imagine a "Kingdoms II" as you called it during the summer of 2014.

Even if the movies are coming out "only" until December of 2013, I can easily see at least two additional waves after that. After all, the last Indiana Jones movie came out in May of 2008, and there were not one but two additional waves of LEGO Indy released after it, one in January 2009 and another in August 2009. And while Indiana Jones is popular, The Hobbit / The Lord of the Rings is even more so, and there are more movies in the series (Indy also has a TV series, but it's not as well-known and TLG never made sets from it), and all the Lord of the Rings movies were released much more recently than three of the four Indy movies (meaning they're probably more relevant to TLG's core market of kids), and the movies are simply longer (suggesting more material to draw upon for sets), so if Indy got two additional waves I'd expect The Hobbit / TLotR to have at least that.

It therefore looks likely that any Castle-esque sets released the year after the last of these movies will be from the movies, not from Kingdoms or another homegrown original LEGO theme. And that movie won't be out in 2013; it'll be in 2014 - The Hobbit is now set to be three movies, not two (presumably they're filling it out with additional material from the appendices and whatnot from the various books). Given all this, I wouldn't expect a new LEGO castle theme until 2015, at the very earliest, and probably more like 2016.

Not to rain on anyone's parade; I like Kingdoms too, and personally I'd love to have Castle, Kingdoms and The Lord of the Rings sets all out together, so long as I had some way of affording them all. I just don't think we're going to get any more castle-type sets from "homegrown" LEGO themes (unless they're "special" items like the Kingdoms chess set) for quite a while.

Edited by Blondie-Wan

While I love LoTR and The Hobbit, I look forward to the return of a non-licensed Castle/Kingdoms Lego sets. Whenever that may be...

Edited by bsmith13

There does seem to be way more licensed themes now. All the heroes, star wars, tmnt, lotr/hobbit, cars, etc. Tough when these lines last for years and overlap with a normal lego line (like castle). Although even with Star Wars there has still been space related themes come out.

Castle has had a pretty regular showing of non-licensed, original sets for the past several years. In fact I don't think it has ever had a license them take its spot before this year? I'm ok with it taking a small break. I mean the previous few Castle themes have pretty much been the exact same content as LotR anyways (thinking of the orc and dwarf themes which were extremely similar to LotR/Hobbit content).

With that said, I do agree that it feels like there are a TON of licensed sets coming out this year.

Edited by Deathleech

There was an article that LightningTiger posted about LEGO in Australia. The person being interviewed directly stated that Licensing is where toys are these days due to easier marketing. So I'm sure that is why there are so many Licensed themes now, because kids are buying them more than original toys including LEGO themes.

To be honest, Harry Potter got me out of my Dark Ages, so licensing works, but Kingdoms kept me going all of last year. If I had come out of my DA this year, then it still would have been LOTR keeping me going instead of Kingdoms, so either way a Licensed theme would have won me over.

To be honest, Harry Potter got me out of my Dark Ages, so licensing works, but Kingdoms kept me going all of last year. If I had come out of my DA this year, then it still would have been LOTR keeping me going instead of Kingdoms, so either way a Licensed theme would have won me over.

That's what got me out of my Dark Ages, the announcement of the LotR Lego line. If not for it, I probably wouldn't be buying any Lego sets right now, and in fact the LotR sets are the ONLY ones I am currently buying (though I am interested in a few other themes: Chima, Galaxy Defenders, and Batman to name a few... still have yet to take the plunge with Batman though)

Similar experience to Deathleech. I had given up on most of Lego until LOTR came on the radar - I'm committed to purchasing each wave in full (excepting overpriced or redundant sets). Star Wars used to be my focus but the ridiculous pricing a mediocre lineup has left me cold for the past few years.

Yeah I was in a very long Lego dark age. Before collecting Weathertop and Mines of Moria the last time I had Legos was when I was twelve. I always loved them as a kid and even created my own makeshift drawbridge at eight because my mom wouldn't get me a larger proper castle set. The drawbridge was made using a ship wheel and some yarn. I ran the yarn through some 1x1 pieces that have the hollow attachment. The last sets I collected were SW phantom menace back in 99.