Ye Olde Pirate

What Pirate set should I buy?

Hello,

I always admired these 3 sets on Lego Catalogs but I never got any of them.

By reading reviews on each of these sets, they've been rated as following:

6273-1.jpg

6273 by Lorentzen

Design: 9/10

Playability: 10/10

Part: 10/10

Price: 10/10

6276-1.jpg

6276 by Mr.Phes

He didn't rate it. Just posted pics.

6277-1.jpg

6277 by funkybrick

Design: 10/10

Minifigs: 9.5/10

Parts: 9/10

Playablity: 10/10

Price: 10/10

Considering the reviews ratings, 6273 would be the winner, but Lego is not that simple to judge, so a debate would be better.

I'm starting this topic because I have the opportunity to buy them from a neighbor, but unfortunately I can't afford all these 3 sets at the same time, and later some of them may be already sold.

So, my question is Which one would you choose? (and why?)

All your views are appreciated.

Hello,

By reading reviews on each of these sets, they've been rated as following:

Considering the reviews ratings, 6273 would be the winner, but Lego is not that simple to judge, so a debate would be better.

I'm starting this topic because I have the opportunity to buy them from a neighbor, but unfortunately I can't afford all these 3 sets at the same time, and later some of them may be already sold.

Well, they are three awesome sets. However, only two of them can be considered legendary : Eldorado's Fortress and Imperial Trading Post. They're way better than 6273, which is already a very nice model.

Eldorado's Fortress is a massive plain structure, whatever angle you look at it, it don't have any flaw. Imperial Trading Post is big (64 x 32), with a fantastic small vessel, and has a nice commercial feeling that's really rare in Pirates theme.

Of course, I would recommend both (they look fantastic when displayed together), but if I only had to choose one, I'd get Imperial Trading Post first, because it's harder to find.

If you still really can't decide, one simple solution is to ask yourself "do I prefer bluecoats or redcoats?" and choose accordingly :)

Hello,

You should pick both Eldorado and trading post. They are the best pirate sets, vessel's exluded. If you could not afford booth, joust pick the one that you like the most. My dream was always Eldorado.

Hello,

all are great sets but my favourite of the tree is ITP. EF is a great set but ITP is better because has 3 cannons instead 2, has a bigger building, a merchant ship, and a pirate with an axe(axes are uncommon weapons in lego Pirates Theme, so is nice to have a exceptional weapon here).

RIF is a great set too, but is not as great as ITP.

Ok guys since this the best place to ask my question here we go,so I'm thinking of buying Brickbeard's Bounty and I want you to tell me if its worth it because I always wanted a lego pirate ship but never got a chance to get it.

Ok guys since this the best place to ask my question here we go,so I'm thinking of buying Brickbeard's Bounty and I want you to tell me if its worth it because I always wanted a lego pirate ship but never got a chance to get it.

BUY IT

Hello,

I own both Imperial Trading Post and Rock Island Refuge and IMO the imperial trading post is far better than rock island refuge.

I don't have the Eldorado fortress yet and I think I would even pick the Imperial trading post again (I'd rather have two ITP than one ITP and one EF)

Anyway:

Imperial Trading Post

Hello,

I have Eldorado and Imperial trading post , I wanted 6273

Hello,

I say imperial trading post bigger more fun and with a boat

Depends of the price. If you can get it under $50, it's worth.

If you get it for over $50, then I'd wait to get some more bucks and I'd go for Barracuda or RedBeard Runner.

If you're patient enough, you can get Barracuda for $70-90 and I guess everyone admits that these two ships can not even be compared with each other.

In my opinion, Brickbeard's Bounty is completely dedicated to kids for playing with.

Look at its colors, its sails and the shark.

This ship is not a ship to collect, but to play on the floor.

If you mind to get it to play with, go for it.

If you want it for display, just skip it...

If you don't have a pirate ship yet the Brickbeard Bounty is probably the most economic sollution,

€50 seems a reasonable price.

If you are more interested in a nicer ship (and money is less of an issue) I suggest you look for a Black Seas Barracuda or Skull's Eye Schooner.

Or the Red Beard Runner if you like the iconic Skull and battle-damaged look of it.

Well the set costs 100 euro so I guess it isnt worth it so I'll skip it,I'll wait until lego realeses a new pirate theme.Any way thanks guys.

Edited by LOTR343

...I'll wait until lego realeses a new pirate theme.

You might be waiting for a long time then, maybe you can find a better offer for a pirateship ?

(btw, 100 euro is way too much indeed, the original price was 80 and the set is definitely not rare or old enough to have a collectors' value IMO )

Edited by Sebeus I

Hello,

The Imperial Trading Post is one of the best Pirate-themed sets ever, and I truly wish I owned it. While all 3 sets are pretty great, the ITP is just one step ahead of all competition for it's well-rounded and different design. Not to mention the fact that it has a unique boat and exclusive minifig.

Hello,

As others have said, Imperial Trading Post and Eldorado Fortress are definitely better choices than Rock Island Refuge. If you can afford both, go for it. If not, Imperial Trading Post is probably a better choice (rarer and more parts)

Are they in new or used condition?

Well the set costs 100 euro so I guess it isnt worth it so I'll skip it,I'll wait until lego realeses a new pirate theme.Any way thanks guys.

If you are up to pay €100, with that price you can find Barracuda in excellent condition and even boxed.

It's not really necessarily to wait until Lego will release a new ship.

With €100 you can actually buy any pirate ship excepting Imperial Flagship.

Hello,

Well, seems that Imperial Trading Post is more preferred than Rock Island Refuge or Eldorado Fortress.

Me too I intend to go for Imperial Trading Post due to the following reasons.

-It has 3 sails, 2 of them being completely unique, available only in this set.

-It has the very rare pirate with brown vest, available only in this set and Skull's Eye Schooner.

pi054.jpg

If you still really can't decide, one simple solution is to ask yourself "do I prefer bluecoats or redcoats?" and choose accordingly :)

It's hard to decide between these two colors. They both look great when we're talking about imperial soldiers.

As others have said, Imperial Trading Post and Eldorado Fortress are definitely better choices than Rock Island Refuge. If you can afford both, go for it. If not, Imperial Trading Post is probably a better choice (rarer and more parts)

Are they in new or used condition?

No, they are all in used condition, but they've been well kept, without tooth marks, broken pieces etc...

Thank you all for your opinions.

Well, I paid that amount a couple of months ago and I was happy at that time. But here is something interesting, since you are in Greece. I have spent my summer holiday there in August, near Thessaloniki. There is (was) a chain of toy stores across Greece, named "Kou, Kou". Recently they closed the business and had a massive sale. I found 6243 in a store and bought it for 60 euro.

Anyway, this set sells new on Ebay for around 80-90 euro, so if you are patient you can get a slightly better deal. The ship looks really nice once built, and even better with some upgrades. If you are into classic Pirates, try too look for 6280 and 6289. You can find these sets MISB for under 100 if you are patient. For instance, I got the 6280 for 50 euro and the 6289 for 85 euro.

If you don't mind used sets, prices are much smaller.

I've merged the recent "What should I buy" threads into the existing Pirate version of the same thread.

Thanks