Do any of you MOCers have problems with your LEGO scratching when sorting it out to store? What kinds of storage can be used to minimize this problem?

I'm using a combination of bead organizers and Ziplock bags right now, and the bead organizers actually seem like they're worse from my experience so far. The small sections can be hard to get my fingers into, so I end up dragging LEGO up and out the sides to get it out. :sad: The Ziplock bags are much easier to maneuver within, though they're a pain to try and store.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this, or ideas for better storage?

Yeah, those are like the bead sorting containers that I'm currently using. I guess I just wonder if the plastic-on-plastic rubbing is scratching my LEGO... :sceptic:

Hmmm.

I've been wondering about UV light through the window of my Lego room and how that causes things to fade. Has anyone used window film to cut down UV rays? I don't care so much about harming the view, since it's just my back yard (ugly storage shed to be exact). Just so long as I can still open the blinds to let light in (just not the UV). Any advice on said window film?

Sidebar: I also want to look into window film in the bedroom, but the goal there is to cut down on all light by 50% or more. Faces east and is way too bright in the morning; the curtains can't even keep up.

I know they are on the spendy end, but does anybody have experience with these: http://www.amazon.co...&pf_rd_i=507846

41F1jIYso%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I bought one payed way too much at the lego store. So it sucks....kidding. It's really good quality, the drawers slide very smoothly. I got mine a little prematurely because i'm sorting through my bricks, plates, and slopes right now and I have way too many to fit in the little compartments. It will come in real handy when I get to the minifig accessories and smaller stuff like that. It is pricey but the quality is good and its Lego branded, which I like. I recommend.

Yeah, those are like the bead sorting containers that I'm currently using. I guess I just wonder if the plastic-on-plastic rubbing is scratching my LEGO... :sceptic:

Hmmm.

These are the ones that are better, IMO:

stanley-organizer.jpg

These are from Stanely, this is a shallow one - they also have medium and deep depths, and they stack. The bins are removable, so you can dump. Doesn't help with "scratching," but I've never felt that was a problem.

Never owned one, but as far as I've been able to tell they have a pretty neat advantage, which is that the top segment can be detached so you can just continue stacking them infinitely... of course, you'd end up with a load of extra tops, but it's still probably the best sorting solution TLG has ever offered.

Additionally, I think it's neat that it has the building plates on the individual drawers so you can identify what's inside without creating labels (which from my experience quickly become more of a hassle than an advantage if your parts outgrow their space and you have to rearrange them). It's just like how the Master Builders identify their part shelves at LEGO Headquarters in Billund!

Edited by Aanchir

Thank you for the input guys. At the Fred Meyer stores in the Pacific Northwest they have been put on sale about once a month. Usually marked down to $30 each. I might grab one next time they are marked down. Any idea if the drawer sections fit these?

41Ll6mymltL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Edited by KyleJohnson11

(snip)I guess I just wonder if the plastic-on-plastic rubbing is scratching my LEGO... :sceptic:

Plastic-on-plastic is not the issue; dust is. Dust settles in the compartments and on their contents, creating a situation similar to getting grains of sand under your eyelids.

Airtight containers would limit this.

Thank you for the input guys. At the Fred Meyer stores in the Pacific Northwest they have been put on sale about once a month. Usually marked down to $30 each. I might grab one next time they are marked down. Any idea if the drawer sections fit these?

41Ll6mymltL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

If you're talking about the divider trays, yes, they do, and some stores even carry the divider trays separately.

I agree with you fred67.

I like Stanely professional organizors. I am wondering if there is any 'rack' thing go with them? that will save a lot of space - spreading them on the floor isn't fun..

These are the ones that are better, IMO:

stanley-organizer.jpg

These are from Stanely, this is a shallow one - they also have medium and deep depths, and they stack. The bins are removable, so you can dump. Doesn't help with "scratching," but I've never felt that was a problem.

If you're talking about the divider trays, yes, they do, and some stores even carry the divider trays separately.

Not the divider trays, but the actual shelving trays of the three drawer shelves.

This is probably a topic that has been done to death, so apologies if it's all a bit familiar but does anyone know of the best industry or source that sells cost effective containers for storing minifigures away for moving and so on? I've been searching for days and it's proving to be a lot more difficult than I thought. I was thinking that I could just get a few plastic containers that could fit a standard 32 x 32 base plate which seemed simple enough, but without paying ludicrous prices such boxes don't seem to be on the market. I've checked catering places, crafts (which is the closest I've found - a3 but will only fit one plate and then there's a lot of wastage, or larger craft boxes which are the perfect size but only 2.5 cm tall which is not quite tall enough), ebay, amazon, all over the place. It may be that I'll have to rethink the strategy but space is at a premium which is why I wanted to go this way, without having to move the figures individually...

Edited by shinobisgreenshinpads

Hi there. I think this has been discussed in a thread of "Storage and Organizing Lego" around here, so you might want to take a look at that if you want. Also, there's a thread with CMF displays, and you might also want to look into that.

My solution is not ideal, but it is very space effective and relatively cheap. I store about 500 minifigs using these boxes. You can put the figs standing in a row, one behind each other, inside individual ziploc bags to prevent damage by contact, and the box will fit about 110-130 figs. The main downsides are it's not a display friendly solution, you will have to remove the figs' accessories to put them in, and you won't be able to put large figs inside (although this is not a huge deal, which I solve by having a separate small box for big figs). Perks are high space efficiency, easiness of finding and removing any specific fig you want, protection from dust, protection from impacts (the box is very sturdy), cheap price per fig (120 figs per $18), and stackability of the boxes.

I bought 3 of these last year, and currently have 4. I have to get myself another one soon actually. Can't resist the urge to buy more figs. :tongue: I can tell you it has worked for me, but it could or could not do so for you, depending on your preferences.

Cheers!

After years of buying lego as an adult (13 now) I've finally decided to get into MOC building. Obviously to do this I'm now starting to sort my bricks which I'm finding hard to do. I've always kept my bricks together in the sets I bought them in. The only time I've mixed bricks is if I had multiple copies of the same set.

I have to admit, putting all my bricks together (sorted) instead of by set has been a difficult adjustment for me to make. The mental barrier I've had to break surprised me a bit. Perhaps it was the thought that if I ever want to make any of the sets again I'll have to do a big brick finding exercise first.

Another thing I've found is I'm now buying a lot of storage containers to organise the bricks. Almost spending as much on containers as on Lego :)

Has anyone else experienced this adjustment. Or do people sort their bricks differently?

Storage and sorting is a topic that comes back regularly, which is why we have a dedicated thread for it. You can discuss it here, but eventually I will merge this with the main thread. :classic:

As my collection growing, I find it more and more harder to find places to display my Lego sets. According to brickset, I have 26330 pieces in total now. I know it could be much fewer than many of you have. But these are already way too many for my humble apartment.

10 of my sets are bigger ones with over 1000 pieces, such as Modular Buildings. I put three of them on the top of my bookshelf. Also I bought a shelf like this to put on top of the dresser. This shelf can also hold three other big sets. However, there is no place left for the others. Wall shelves would be great, but it isn't allowed to drill into walls in my apartment. I may wind up dissembling them in the end. However, building one big set takes up my spare time of two weeks. I really would like to display them instead.

I dissemble most of the other smaller sets. Two 6-case storage units and other boxes can hold many pieces. I hide all of them in my walk-in closet, as it could be a disaster if my 2-years-old daughter finds them. Her Duplo pieces are already everywhere. Now my closet is full with Lego boxes, instructions, flattened boxes and of course, clothes.

I guess instead of buying new sets, I have to focus more on MOC in the future. Does anyone here have their own Lego workroom in the house? If I had my own house in the future, I could have one room like that!

Edited by nana

I use clear and colourless plastic boxes that we use for pipette tips at work. They are 7cm x 12.5cm x 8cm and have hinged lids that lock. The boxes stack nicely on top of each other. They are great for all pieces except large amounts of larger/longer blocks.

Best of all we throw tons of them out = free.

If anyone is interested let me know and I can try and hook you up.

Edited by Boshuda21

I use clear and colourless plastic boxes that we use for pipette tips at work. They are 7cm x 12.5cm x 8cm and have hinged lids that lock. The boxes stack nicely on top of each other. They are great for all pieces except large amounts of larger/longer blocks.

Best of all we throw tons of them out = free.

If anyone is interested let me know and I can try and hook you up.

Pictures, please.

I am still looking for a good but cheap drawer system. I do not want to stack boxes.