Cammo

LEGO City Undercover

Has the 3DS version been officially confirmed?

Kid's asking for a 3DS for christmas (wants to see what the 720's like before getting a Wii U), and wants the game.

Also, would the 3DS version be open world, or level based like previous handheld Lego games?

Has the 3DS version been officially confirmed?

Kid's asking for a 3DS for christmas (wants to see what the 720's like before getting a Wii U), and wants the game.

Also, would the 3DS version be open world, or level based like previous handheld Lego games?

I could have sworn it was, but I'm starting to question it. Today I asked at Gamestop, and they didn't even have the 3DS version in their system. Perhaps that one's not coming out until later?

Well, I found a few at Target! Can't beat the $1 deal! :thumbup:

Anyways, I posted a video review of the set. If y'all can stand my annoying voice, you should check it out! The quality on the figure is phenomenal!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db3FaYat2G4

Just got one off Ebay, looks like a very good minifigure. I'm pretty sure the one in the set is identical, minus the arm printing.

I could have sworn it was, but I'm starting to question it. Today I asked at Gamestop, and they didn't even have the 3DS version in their system. Perhaps that one's not coming out until later?

This could be bad news, since we're not sure whether we want to get a Wii U.

It might be worth emailing Lego about.

Just got one off Ebay, looks like a very good minifigure. I'm pretty sure the one in the set is identical, minus the arm printing.

This could be bad news, since we're not sure whether we want to get a Wii U.

It might be worth emailing Lego about.

Well, according to this news article, there will be a 3DS version, but (this was a surprise to me) it will have a different storyline than the Wii U version. So for a dedicated gamer, there might be reason to get both versions. For an average kid, of course, one version might easily be enough, since it's not totally clear how different the gameplay will be between the two versions.

Got one of those Chase McCain figs at my local Target for a dollar. I really like the figure!

-Sci

got this month's lego magazine with the lego city undercover booklet and it said its only for wii u. no 3ds version, sorry 3ds fans. but the wii u wins

We have had confirmation from numerous sources that there will be a version for 3DS. But based on recent evidence, it looks like the 3DS version will be an entirely different game (akin to the new Assassin's Creed 3 for Vita compared to the one for other systems), and that it won't be coming out until later. I'm a little bummed about it being delayed, but on the other hand, it means I'd have no reason to feel guilty for getting both versions (meaning I can go ahead and preorder the Wii U game) and on top of that the different release date could mean that the 3DS version could have a different preorder fig (perhaps Natalia or Rex Fury).

We have had confirmation from numerous sources that there will be a version for 3DS. But based on recent evidence, it looks like the 3DS version will be an entirely different game (akin to the new Assassin's Creed 3 for Vita compared to the one for other systems), and that it won't be coming out until later. I'm a little bummed about it being delayed, but on the other hand, it means I'd have no reason to feel guilty for getting both versions (meaning I can go ahead and preorder the Wii U game) and on top of that the different release date could mean that the 3DS version could have a different preorder fig (perhaps Natalia or Rex Fury).

I used to work on video games. I can all but guarantee the two are made by different teams and share almost no work (aside from high level ideas, concept art, and maybe some art assets). You'll see this type of thing all the time. Basically when two different game machines (the hardware) are significantly different, it's quite challenging to make the same exact game for both of them without having serious compromises. So what ends up happening is that there ends up being different teams working on essentially different games for their targeted hardware platform(s). One team might be making a nice robust platformer for Xbox360 and PS3, and then another team will be making a different but similar game for 3DS, for example. All 3 end products will end up with the same branding and the exact same cover art. This is a typical scenario with games based off of "this summer's hit cartoon kid friendly movie". The publisher behind all 3 games has paid big bucks to license the IP content and wants to target a wide range of consoles and people who buy games for those consoles. In the case of City Undercover, it probably appeals mostly to kids, and that's why they're targeting hand-held systems and the Wii (those systems tend to get bought for families/kids, in contrast with big-boy ones like Xbox).

Sorry if this was too much information lol.

Also want to say that I'd love to play this game. But like other people, I'm not going to buy a Wii U for it. I got the original Wii and barely used the thing - only have like one game for it. :( Maybe if the Wii U was backward compatible with Gamecube still, I could convince myself to sell off my old Wii and Gamecube on eBay and get a Wii U. But I'm probably in the minority about caring about Gamecube back compatibility.

Edited by Zeya

A bit of an update regarding the rumored 3DS version:

My son was on the LEGO Video Games page (AKA TT Games), and asked if the 3DS version was real.

Here's the reply:

"There will also be a version of the game in 3DS. Stay tuned for release dates and have a great weekend!"

Looks like we won't have to get a WiiU after all :thumbup:

Edited by Lance

A bit of an update regarding the rumored 3DS version:

My son was on the LEGO Video Games page (AKA TT Games), and asked if the 3DS version was real.

Here's the reply:

"There will also be a version of the game in 3DS. Stay tuned for release dates and have a great weekend!"

Looks like we won't have to get a WiiU after all :thumbup:

Don't swear off on the Wii U just yet; I've heard rumors that the 3DS version will be telling a separate story than the Wii U version. So unlike things like Lego Star Wars or Lord of the Rings, it seems there'll be more incentive to get the game on multiple systems.

According to Gamestop, the game will be released on March 1st 2013.

I'm not sure whether this means both versions, or just the Wii U version...

According to Gamestop, the game will be released on March 1st 2013.

I'm not sure whether this means both versions, or just the Wii U version...

I was curious about this date too. It is for the Wii U version. Amazon shows the Wii U version available on 31 December 2012. Amazon does not have the free minifigure though. I tried to reach someone at Gamestop but the line was always busy and then they closed their customer service an hour early.

3DS version is confirmed! The Nintendo 3DS facebook page has said, "Dive into Chase McCain’s past as a rookie cop in the prequel to the LEGO City: Undercover series. This game will be available exclusively on the Nintendo 3DS on Apr. 21."

Looks like a surprisingly big game for the 3DS. Now to save so I can get this and Pokemon X or Y

The 3DS has quite a number of great games-- my twin brother has been quite happy with his. I would love to have one myself if I could honestly commit to playing it regularly, but if there's ever a game I really, truly want to play, I can always borrow his when he's not using it.

Welcome to the general discussion thread for Lego City: Undercover-Wii U. This is where you can discuss the gameplay, the cutscenes, the music, and the controls. Have fun discussing and May the lego bricks be with you.

Welcome to the general discussion thread for Lego City: Undercover-Wii U. This is where you can discuss the gameplay, the cutscenes, the music, and the controls. Have fun discussing and May the lego bricks be with you.

I've merged this with the previous thread.

I just got my copy of the game with the Chase Mccain mini figure :sweet: I've been playing it for four hours and I haven't put it down. The script is very funny with puns, cheesy one liners and references too famous movies (Titanic/Matrix/Sherlock Holmes).

It's also really awesome seeing all of the City buildings and vehicles in the game :wub:

Man, this game is awesome! Just bought a wii u for it(it was very cheap), and it's awesome. I've played all other lego games, and this one is simply the best one yet made.