Cammo

LEGO City Undercover

why is the game only on wii?

The game is not for Wii. It's for Wii U :laugh::wink: and the 3ds. I get your question, though. Nintendo is helping make this game. Why they chose Nintendo? I don't know. But Nintendo makes great games and has a rich history.

why is the game only on wii?

Becuase nintendo is publishing it.

I have a 3ds but I might be getting the WII U later when it's released. It'll probably be better graphics on WII U because Lego does'nt take advantage of the 3ds graphic capability :sceptic:

I saw the 9 minute trailer, and the most disappointing thing is that almost none of the buildings are made out of LEGOs. Buildings, roads, grass and trees are for the most part just taken straight out of a GTA game.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Lego video games where nothing is made of Lego anymore :sadnew:

Welcome to the wonderful world of Lego video games where nothing is made of Lego anymore :sadnew:

It has always been like this. Never has everything been made of Lego. As said earlier, it makes it look blocky :laugh: .

It has always been like this. Never has everything been made of Lego. As said earlier, it makes it look blocky :laugh: .

It goes deeper than that. In the Travelers Tales Lego games, an object being made out of Lego typically means it's interactable in some way. Some things can be smashed, some built, and some manipulated in other ways (like levers or vehicles). If everything were made of LEGO, it'd be much harder to tell what objects could be manipulated, and the game would become a lot more frustrating as players try to break integral background elements to no avail.

There'll still be plenty of LEGO elements in the game. They just won't be used for meaningless background objects.

It's a real shame it'll only be on the WiiU as I have no intention of purchasing one. Other than that games looks fun. I'd love to see this as a set though...

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120613061712/lego/images/f/f7/WiiU_LegoCityU_1_scrn02_E3.jpg

I absolutely have to MoC that sometime! Maybe I'll do it in red and yellow so the Collectible Minifigures race car driver matches it... :wink:

On the topic of the actual game; it's a bit of a shame it's just for the WiiU and 3DS. I'm hoping that maybe sometime down the line it will come out for the regular DS, since that's also a Nintendo product, but I do doubt it. :sad:

I absolutely have to MoC that sometime! Maybe I'll do it in red and yellow so the Collectible Minifigures race car driver matches it... :wink:

On the topic of the actual game; it's a bit of a shame it's just for the WiiU and 3DS. I'm hoping that maybe sometime down the line it will come out for the regular DS, since that's also a Nintendo product, but I do doubt it. :sad:

It's not likely. In the past, Nintendo DS versions of Lego Games had to be developed independently as a scaled-down version of the home console versions, since they couldn't handle the 3D game engine. Now the 3DS is a more powerful portable option, and fewer and fewer games are being developed for the original DS as a result. I'd recommend picking up a 3DS at some point; I'm very satisfied with mine, and having played the Lego Batman 2 demo I can affirm that the Lego licensed games for the system have the same depth and polish as you've come to expect from the non-portable versions.

I don't buy the 'blocky' argument. First, it's supposed to look Lego-ish, it's a Lego game. Second, have you ever been at Train/City exposition and seen a highly detailed Lego city, with insane landscaping? You can find hundreds of those on brickshelf, flickr, youtube etc.

Most of those real life Lego creations would put the bland buildings from the game to shame. And they're actually made of Lego.

One random example that took me 2 seconds to find (and looks 1000x more beautiful that everything I've seen in the game so far)

landscape_001.jpg

I don't buy the 'blocky' argument. First, it's supposed to look Lego-ish, it's a Lego game. Second, have you ever been at Train/City exposition and seen a highly detailed Lego city, with insane landscaping? You can find hundreds of those on brickshelf, flickr, youtube etc.

Most of those real life Lego creations would put the bland buildings from the game to shame. And they're actually made of Lego.

One random example that took me 2 seconds to find (and looks 1000x more beautiful that everything I've seen in the game so far)

~snip~

Agreed, but as others and I have stated, the more likely reason is so that "interactable" objects can be better distinguished from background scenery. By having all objects which can be manipulated in some way be the only ones made of Lego bricks, it becomes easier for players to figure out how to solve any given puzzle without endlessly mashing the attack button, hoping to find something breakable.

Edited by Lyichir

Agreed, but as others and I have stated, the more likely reason is so that "interactable" objects can be better distinguished from background scenery. By having all objects which can be manipulated in some way be the only ones made of Lego bricks, it becomes easier for players to figure out how to solve any given puzzle without endlessly mashing the attack button, hoping to find something breakable.

It should also be considered that it's a lot easier to render a bunch smoother, more natural surfaces than to to render entire landscapes made from fully-shaded LEGO bricks. If the game environment were entirely made of LEGO bricks, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was tremendously laggy and occasionally glitchy where part boundaries were ill-defined.

Also, it should be considered that having everything made of LEGO could be a bit of an information overload for many players. Even as an AFOL, that layout pictured above has loads and loads of distracting visual details. It would be hard for me to play a game with those kinds of visuals (which could be related to the reason I've never been interested in "building games" like Roblox and Minecraft). And of course, rendering every environment with LEGO bricks could add years to the time it takes to develop a single LEGO video game. IMO the LEGO games would be much worse in general if everything were made of LEGO, for all the reasons stated.

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place or if this is already mentioned somewhere in the past half year (I only searched the last 10 pages to the begin of June), but I was searching on the website of a dutch toyshop (intertoys.nl) and I looked if they still had Harry P 5-7 for the Wii and I saw they will get in the next months a lego city game for the Wii U.

weblink

description: play as Chase McCain. An undercover agent who wants to stop the criminal disease of Lego city, by putting supercriminal Rex Fury in jail.

Make fun of the baddies, Go undercover as fireman, masoner or even criminal!

Contains more than 100 different vehicles, including sportcars, motors and airplanes(?) to collect and use.

Release still unknown.

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place or if this is already mentioned somewhere in the past half year (I only searched the last 10 pages to the begin of June), but I was searching on the website of a dutch toyshop (intertoys.nl) and I looked if they still had Harry P 5-7 for the Wii and I saw they will get in the next months a lego city game for the Wii U.

weblink

description: play as Chase McCain. An undercover agent who wants to stop the criminal disease of Lego city, by putting supercriminal Rex Fury in jail.

Make fun of the baddies, Go undercover as fireman, masoner or even criminal!

Contains more than 100 different vehicles, including sportcars, motors and airplanes(?) to collect and use.

Release still unknown.

Topic merged with existing discussion.

Nintendo announced that the pre-order will include the Chase McCain minifigure.

This game will be a launchgame (November 18th).

Yup. Here's a picture from Hoth Bricks. There's also talk of a Rex Fury fig. Time will tell where exactly these exclusives will be available.

lego-city-undercover-exclusive-minifig5-600x296.jpg

I don't know about you, but I don't see that minifigue worth of the pre-order :sceptic:

Usualy people don't preorder if they don't want the game. the figure is jsut supposed to be incentive to preorder instead of waiting till the game is sold used.

So Chase McCain seems to be appearing in next year's City sets instead of being a preorder exclusive. Maybe they got the facts wrong on which fig would be available for preorders? I've seen at least some sources claim that Rex Fury is the exclusive fig instead.

I wish we had better information on this. I'm not planning on getting a Wii U yet, so if the preorder-exclusive fig is also available for preorders of the 3DS version I won't hesitate to get that. If it is exclusive to the Wii U version, I may preorder that if only because I intend to get the system at some point down the line, and can have the game ready for when that happens. But if the fig isn't actually exclusive, I may not preorder at all. :/

So Chase McCain seems to be appearing in next year's City sets instead of being a preorder exclusive. Maybe they got the facts wrong on which fig would be available for preorders? I've seen at least some sources claim that Rex Fury is the exclusive fig instead.

Wrong, McCain is still the exclusive preorder fig. The one that comes in the city sets is slightly different. Here's a picture of it, courtesy of Brickset. Just one question: Why in the world does he have earth orange hair? :wacko:

5000281-1.jpg

Wrong, McCain is still the exclusive preorder fig. The one that comes in the city sets is slightly different. Here's a picture of it, courtesy of Brickset. Just one question: Why in the world does he have earth orange hair? :wacko:

You mean Dark Orange. Earth Orange can refer to either the color of Ron Weasley's hair from the 2001 Harry Potter sets (if you're using Bricklink's naming scheme; TLG calls that color Light Orange Brown) or classic brown (if you're using TLG's naming scheme). Both have been discontinued since 2004. I never really mind what naming scheme people use as long as they're following one that other people can look up for themselves!

Anyway, it's pretty weird that they gave him the wrong hair color... not sure what the logic behind that is since he'll have the correct hair color in next year's sets and has had the correct hair color in all promotional videos previously.

Edited by Aanchir

Found these figs at Target today. Preorder the game and get one. The package shows his hair as normal reddish-brown (it looks closer to that than any dark orange mentioned above) but the hair in the package is dark tan.

My question - why is this fig so hot? Do a completed auction search on ebay and there have been a bunch sell for $15-30. That's insane! It's not like it's a character from superheroes or LotR that's only available preorder. It's just another cop fig, in my opinion.

Found these figs at Target today. Preorder the game and get one. The package shows his hair as normal reddish-brown (it looks closer to that than any dark orange mentioned above) but the hair in the package is dark tan.

My question - why is this fig so hot? Do a completed auction search on ebay and there have been a bunch sell for $15-30. That's insane! It's not like it's a character from superheroes or LotR that's only available preorder. It's just another cop fig, in my opinion.

Before I answer your question, I have one of my own: did the people at Target specify whether you get the fig just for preordering the Wii U version, or is it available for 3DS preorders as well? I haven't gotten a satisfactory answer for this yet, and it's driving me crazy!

As for why the fig is so desirable, it's based on a lot of factors. Firstly, it's exclusive, and any exclusives sell. Secondly, it's the main character of a highly anticipated game. Thirdly, it's aesthetically compatible with other Lego City figs while being unique among them (non-fleshie, has the same uniform as traditional Lego City cops but with a bulletproof vest and badge on the shoulder). Fourth, unlike the majority of licensed exclusive figs, this one is easier to army build, and no one's going to preorder multiples of the game just for that, meaning the aftermarket is the only reliable way to get multiples of this fig.

However, I doubt those current prices accurately reflect what the going price will be later on. Not every store is carrying this fig yet to my knowledge, so sellers are probably taking advantage of the low accessible supply and charging through the nose. Plus, a modified version of this fig seems to appear in one of next year's sets, and while it won't be as accurate to the character it should still cause a decrease in demand, lowering the going price even more.

Before I answer your question, I have one of my own: did the people at Target specify whether you get the fig just for preordering the Wii U version, or is it available for 3DS preorders as well? I haven't gotten a satisfactory answer for this yet, and it's driving me crazy!

It's only on the wiiu version - at least by me, the fig is attached to the preorder card. Although I haven't looked for the 3ds version, I didn't see any figs in that area, so I don't think it's on those. I can't swear though that there even are preorder cards for the 3ds version yet.

And yes, I'm sure the ebay price will plummet as more of these are available. It's already falling from the $30 level and looks more like they're going for around 15.