moschino

Classic Pirates Box !?! (request)

Hello,

On the right side in the picture below, it's written a text below the diagonal Pirate Skull.

Can anyone write here what's said there?

Someone who has the box of SES should be able to do it.

There is also a small text inside of BSB box.

bok-opened.jpg

Thanks in advance!

PS: If someone can make some new photos to SES or BSB box, and post them at a high resolution, it will be much appreciated.

I'll check it out asap, my SES box must be somewhere on the attic, hold fast :wink:

I'll check it out asap, my SES box must be somewhere on the attic, hold fast :wink:

Thank you for fast reply.

I'll be waiting.

That's strange, my box doesn't seem to be blessed with that text...

ses_box.jpg

All it sais (in the left) is "this ship does not float" in several languages *huh*

European version ?

I noticed that your picture of a box doesn't show the "firing cannon" feature.

Edited by Sebeus I

Only the US versions have the small text under the lid. I have two BSB (eu and us version) and shot the US box under several angles, I'll upload them tonight.

Can anyone write here what's said there?

It says:

The Pirates, led by Captain Redbeard, are a powerful force of renegades. No Imperial treasure is safe when these seafaring mates are around. Their sailing ships are as fast as anything in the Imperial fleet. Their island outposts are fortified and well hidden. Whether on sea or land, they are a strong adversary for Governor Broadside and the Imperial Guards.The Pirate adventure really begins with you, the LEGO Maniac. Using your imagination and the building sets from the LEGO SYSTEM Pirate collection you can create your own exciting high seas adventures. Who will control the enormous royal treasure, the Pirates or the Imperial Guards? Only you can decide because... you're in control of the action... you're in charge of the fun... you're the LEGO Maniac!

That's strange, my box doesn't seem to be blessed with that text...

All it sais (in the left) is "this ship does not float" in several languages *huh*

European version ?

I noticed that your picture of a box doesn't show the "firing cannon" feature.

Well, this is disturbing. During the time I saw there are lots of differences between US and EU versions.

Thank you for your effort.

It says: ...

Thank you for posting the text on SES Box.

Only the US versions have the small text under the lid. I have two BSB (eu and us version) and shot the US box under several angles, I'll upload them tonight.

So the US version has the text and the EU version doesn't?

As far as I know, the US cannons can not fire, but the EU cannons can.

Are there any other differences excepting the boxes and the cannons?

Thank you posting high resolution images.

Thanks for posting this (my BSB was second-hand and unboxed)!

I read on Bricklink somewhere that non-firing cannons were sold to the US but every Pirate set I've owned has firing ones, so I think moschino's right about the US/EU difference. Must be some legal thing in regards to toy safety or something.

I also felt a bit of confusion about the names for these sets - BSB was called 'Dark Shark' in the UK catalogues back in the day, and SES was 'The Black Skull' iirc. No idea why they went to the trouble of coming up with different names for different English-speaking markets! :sceptic:

To be exact, very early US BSB do have firing cannons. Mine has them.

I also don't understand why there are so many names for a same set, and on top of that why do we use American names considering Lego is an European product? We'll never have the answer. However I think that American names are much better, so that's not bad :)

Yes, there was a difference in the cannons. US sets (or at least later ones) had a black knob on the end, and couldn't fire, and the European ones could fire. It is strange in the name differences, such as the Caribbean Clipper/Sea hawk and Imperial Flagship/Sea Lion.

I don't think the name differences are that strange, lots of products have different names regionally.

For example J. K. Rowling's book originally published in the UK as 'Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone' has the title changed to 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone' for publication in other parts of the world such as America.

I assume the name differences are the result of different feedback from focus groups in different parts of the world. It's not hard to imagine that different names appeal more or less to children from different parts of the world.

Well, I agree with Weil about feedbacks and reviews.

Regarding the text on the box, I reflected on this and I think I found the reason why the US versions had a small text story, and the EU version didn't.

For example BSB US version was addressed to the 52 states of America.

All 52 states speaks the same language, so it was worth to print a box available for all states.

In Europe, if BSB (Dark Shark) had an english text on the box, it could not be addressed to all 50 states.

Then Lego must had to print the box over 40 languages.

(I say 40 and not 50 because Germany has the same language as Austria, England as Ireland, etc.)

Theoretically this could be done, but if BSB (french version) was not sold in France, then they could move the remaining boxes to England or Germany, but then was completely weird to find a BSB box written in french in a german store.

So Lego Europe decided to make the boxes standard, then they could be managed due to request and sales.

I think this is the reason why US boxes have a story, and EU boxes are more basic.

______________________________________________________________________________________

By the way, not only the name of the ship was different, but also the name of the characters.

These differences in name characters were also found in Adventures Sersies and even Castle Series.

In US, the lego set 6285 was named Black Seas Barracuda, and the captain was named Red Beard.

In Europe the same set was named The Dark Shark, and the captain was named Captain Roger.

Here is a stop motion movie created by Lego in 1989, and it was dedicated to Europe, so here can be heard the Europe titles of the ship and the character.

I also have a Europe catalog from 1992 where the captain was named Roger.

Edited by moschino

Here is a stop motion movie created by Lego in 1989, and it was dedicated to Europe, so here can be heard the Europe titles of the ship and the character.

This video is great and deserves its own thread! We'll also blog it!

Would you like the honour of creating the thread or should I?

This video is great and deserves its own thread! We'll also blog it!

Would you like the honour of creating the thread or should I?

Considering you've been waiting for my reply, I posted the thread.