Sadly they can't just split the difference and present the 2014 designs to Legoworld ;p

Sadly they can't just split the difference and present the 2014 designs to Legoworld ;p

:laugh:

Anyway, Brickset has reviewed the Ninjago Character Encyclopedia! Some highlights:

• The minifigure chart. All 20 unique minifigures from 2011 and all 35 unique minifigures from 2012. Sadly, Snike, the Serpentine Generals, and the 2012 Lord Garmadon don't get front view pics, but that's just an understandable consequence of tose minifigures not appearing in spinner sets.
  • "Green Ninja ZX" minifigure. Yes, they seem to actually call him that, despite the Green Ninja's identity being more or less common knowledge at this point-- moreover, they quite egregiously call the regular one just "Green Ninja", even though it's described everywhere else as Lloyd ZX. I see no reason they couldn't have used the same name for both figs, just as they did for the 2011 and 2012 Lord Garmadon and Sensei Wu figs.
  • "Green Ninja ZX" back printing. Yes, Lloyd gets a new emblem. On one hand, I like that it's now a front view of a stylized face like the other Ninja emblems. On the other hand, I dislike that it's not as stylized as either the other Ninja emblems or Lloyd's original emblem. The others were so stylized it was hard to tell if they were meant to be lions, dragons, or something else entirely, where as this is obviously a snake depicted in a considerable level of detail.

Looking forward to getting this book-- it's coming out in the U.S. towards the end of this month!

Edited by Aanchir

Looking forward to getting this book-- it's coming out in the U.S. towards the end of this month!

I just got an e-mail from Amazon.com (US) that it was out earlier than expected, my pre order book has shipped and should be here by Monday. :grin_wub:

I just got an e-mail from Amazon.com (US) that it was out earlier than expected, my pre order book has shipped and should be here by Monday. :grin_wub:

Thanks for telling us, that should mean my pre-order will be shipping soon as well. . . :wub:

Hi Prominence. unfortunately this years LEGOWorld falls at the exact same time as the LEGO Designers are presenting the first versions of the 2014 themes to our bosses, (normally it's a week out) this means we are far too busy so this year most of us can not be at LEGOWorld in Zwolle. Very sorry. There will be a couple of Friends Designers around but there will not be a Designers booth as there has been for the last five years.

This is particularly sad for me as this is the 12th year of LEGOWorld and this is the first one I have not attended. I'm sure it will be great anyway as it always is, but I wish I was there!

I'm glad you took the time to respond. I know it's not up to you, but I don't understand why those two happenings have to be at the same time. I've been a long term fan of Lego and of the Ninjago theme and it's just a slap in the face. The Ninjago hall was especially terrible because I bet it was used to stall horses just two days before. I guess sometimes I (want to) forget Lego is a business.

Woot! My Ninjago Character Encyclopedia just showed up on the doorstep days earlier than expected!

So some initial impressions.

The exclusive Kimono Green Ninja minifig

The good- overall its a very good little minifig. The printing is sharp and clean. The patern is nicely detailed and gorgeous. Lloyd is now sporting green trim to his ensemble with pearl gold pauldrons similar to Zane and Kai's and a gold helmet crest. The head is the standard Lloyd with no changes. The helm is the standard Ninjago ZX piece. There is a neat new Green Ninja emblem on the back. A snake head in a green circle with stylized gold border.

The not quite as good? - not to detract from a great little figure. It is obvious that it is a Chinese minifig. The plastic has that feel and the joints feel noticeably looser than a standard Billund minifig. I can't be positive of this without a direct comparison,but the green arms and helm leave the impression of being a slightly different shade of green from the regular green Ninja. That may be an illusion caused by the darker adjacent colors (the black of the torso). Also some of the green printing on the body and legs gets lost in the black base color. The fig does not come with any weapons ( although technically as the Green Ninja Lloyd doesn't use one, he shoots his green balls.)

Overall a great little fig. Seeing it I am really looking forward to the full Kimono Ninja's in the next sets.

As far as the book? From an initial glance. It's decent. Even by the decidedly questionable standards of the DK character catalogs. It actually seems to have a lot more info then the similar HP and Batman books. There are a few fun errors in the book that immediately leap out (one of the Shellie's photographed with the torso backwards for example.) lets be honest most of we AFOL types will be getting this forthe fig. But in this case the book has a bit more value than some of its brethren.

When you described the emblem on his back, it doesn't sound familiar to the Lloyd ZX emblem I'm familiar with. Is it the same as this one or different?

Edited by Meiko

When you described the emblem on his back, it doesn't sound familiar to the Lloyd ZX emblem I'm familiar with. Is it the same as this one or different?

It's different. It is a front on gold snake head, similar to the original 4 ninja elemental emblems. The torso is black, the emblem is the gold snake head on a green circle with an ornate gold trim border. Much like some of the other ninja figs, the round emblem lines up with the gold colored sword holder part of the pauldrons. So it shows through the center of the back piece.

Edited by Faefrost

It's different. It is a front on gold snake head, similar to the original 4 ninja elemental emblems. The torso is black, the emblem is the gold snake head on a green circle with an ornate gold trim border. Much like some of the other ninja figs, the round emblem lines up with the gold colored sword holder part of the pauldrons. So it shows through the center of the back piece.

Interesting. I can't wait to see it! Maybe can you take some photos? :)

Interesting. I can't wait to see it! Maybe can you take some photos? :)

Won't be able to doit tonight. But there is a link to a pic of the back printing a few posts up in the brick set review of the book. I hope that helps.

I was looking at the next years sets again. I noticed that the elemental blades have two hilts. The Earth and Lightning blades have the nunchucks hilt. While the Fire and Ice blades have a golden telescope :confused:. I am sure it was intentional, but it is just weird.

Ninjago definitely isn't getting a bad end-- it is, after all, getting a decent-sized wave of sets (bigger than the final wave for Exo-Force at any rate)

Um, if you're refering to the number of sets and not the prices, no it isn't. Exo Force's final wave had seven sets, while Ninjago's final wave has only six. And if you were referring to the latter, keep in mind that Exo-Force's other two Winter waves also did not feature sets more expensive than $30. That said, It is true that Ninjago's last year will probably end up being planned out a lot better, since this time the designers didn't save the biggest sets for a non-existent third summer wave, and the story will most likely be completely wrapped up.

Also, Aanchir, I'm curious why you've been so hard on Cole's Power Drill, since in my opinion it is much better than his 2012 vehicle (which I felt was possibly the weakest set of the entire wave), and besides Loyd's golden robot is also the only substantial Ninja vehicle this wave. I'd say Cole probably fares better this wave than the other three original Ninja, especially Zane and Jay.

Edited by Zarkan

Um, if you're refering to the number of sets and not the prices, no it isn't. Exo Force's final wave had seven sets, while Ninjago's final wave has only six. And if you were referring to the latter, keep in mind that Exo-Force's other two Winter waves also did not feature sets more expensive than $30. That said, It is true that Ninjago's last year will probably end up being planned out a lot better, since this time the designers didn't save the biggest sets for a non-existent third summer wave, and the story will most likely be completely wrapped up.

Heh, I guess you're right. Being the silly person I am I completely forgot to include the robot battle machines when I counted the sets in my head! So Exo-Force's final wave was in fact bigger (unless an exclusive set shows up, which is almost certainly not happening).

Also, Aanchir, I'm curious why you've been so hard on Cole's Power Drill, since in my opinion it is much better than his 2012 vehicle (which I felt was possibly the weakest set of the entire wave), and besides Loyd's golden robot is also the only substantial Ninja vehicle this wave. I'd say Cole probably fares better this wave than the other three original Ninja, especially Zane and Jay.

The thing is, I disliked Cole's Tread Assault early on as well. I thought it was the weakest of the 2012 Ninja vehicles (well, except Zane's snowmobile), and it was the only one I put off getting until the Brickfair sale in the summer. With that said, I built it shortly after I got to college, and not only is the function amazing (and unprecedented), but the set design has lots of personality. It certainly feels like it's worth its price. BTW, I'm speaking of the fold-out blades function, not the camouflage function. The camouflage function is not especially interesting.

Cole's Power Driller has a color scheme that IMO just doesn't work as well as the Tread Assault's. The Sand Green is not at all spread out enough along the build-- it feels like the designers tried to mash up every part of the Tread Assault and Earth Dragon's color schemes, besides the camouflage elements on the Tread Assault, into one build. The shape is extremely boxy, without any unusual angles or curves breaking up the design. The back wheels are set back from the rest of the vehicle, which makes the chassis seem a bit flimsy in the pics we've seen so far. Furthermore, as far as I can tell the functionality of the Power Driller is nothing groundbreaking-- just a retread of what we saw in the Power Miners theme, where it fit in a lot more smoothly. Granted, the Power Miners theme was a couple years ago and the function will still likely be new to many fans if the drill is in fact gear-driven (and I see no reason it would not be). But overall there's just nothing making me like the Power Driller.

My favorite Ninja vehicle next year is definitely Kai's Fire Robot, which makes brilliant use of Hero Factory parts in a System set, something I've been waiting on for years (some Hero Factory beams were used in 2012 mechs, but nothing where the Hero Factory elements actually played a role in establishing a System set's aesthetic). It's got a unique shape that stands out from previous mechs, but still looks plenty sturdy. And it's got a great color scheme. The only fault I see in it is that the oversized hilt used to attach the elemental Fire Blade to it just ends up looking awkward. And IMO, the weapon is secondary to the structure of the mech itself.

I've definitely been warming up to the Power Driller and am beginning to be able to look past some of its faults, but it still seems to pale in comparison to the 2012 ninja vehicles, since it is not nearly as imaginative as those in either structure or function. But it's possible that like the Tread Assault, it's something that has to be held to be fully appreciated.

My favorite Ninja vehicle next year is definitely Kai's Fire Robot, which makes brilliant use of Hero Factory parts in a System set, something I've been waiting on for years (some Hero Factory beams were used in 2012 mechs, but nothing where the Hero Factory elements actually played a role in establishing a System set's aesthetic). It's got a unique shape that stands out from previous mechs, but still looks plenty sturdy. And it's got a great color scheme. The only fault I see in it is that the oversized hilt used to attach the elemental Fire Blade to it just ends up looking awkward. And IMO, the weapon is secondary to the structure of the mech itself.

While it does seem nice that HF pieces could be used in a set like that, I would actually prefer something else, since I really don't think those would be useful in the type of MOCs I build. And really, I don't think the leg pieces are that cool by themselves. . .

I agree about the hilt though, it look's really out of place with the rest of the smoothly flowing mech.

While it does seem nice that HF pieces could be used in a set like that, I would actually prefer something else, since I really don't think those would be useful in the type of MOCs I build. And really, I don't think the leg pieces are that cool by themselves. . .

I agree about the hilt though, it look's really out of place with the rest of the smoothly flowing mech.

Another problem I have with the mech is that the cockpit just sits way too low for my tastes. I'll try to mod it when I get it. But definitely, my favourite set of the wave.

It looks like we should have a little more context for Cole's Power Driller, and a look at the TV version of it next week in episode 23. Maybe it will look better in motion?

No, I thought that too at first, but it's just a system piece with a remarkably similar printing.

:thumbup: Their masks and costumes are also really cool, and somewhat bat-like and crab-like at the same time. Also, the kimonos are really stylish. I want them all!

~Insectoid Aristocrat

what do you mean by Bat and Crab-like? are you talking about the stone warriors or the ninjas? lol I am really excited about these sets. I was gonna get legends of chima with my money before christmas, but i'm now gonna get these because 1.Theyre cheaper than the 80$ croc boat lol 2. only like 6 sets. I feel bad about dissing the ninjago franchise, because i used to call it gay and retarted, stupid. But now i look at how cool these sets look compared to the older sets, and look at how they have advanced. These sets look great. Kais mech could be a little bigger, but its fine cuz its lego, and sometimes.s you cant get everything right or perfect lol. I think someone in the thread in the earlier pages said somthing about how the themes need a story or show to be a good theme. I think hes right and wrong, and its great and horrible. Great because some themes need a story so that you can act them out and have more kids enveloped with their toys, and Horrible because 1. TLG makes these sets liek The Fire Temple and all the snake sets and kills them off in the shows or stories. Why would a kid buy a Temple that would soon have burned down and never used again in the show? Same for the snakes; theyre all trapped underground in that Stone Army cave/ auditorium thing, or either died off by the devourer fight, which i sadly didnt see, but i did see him being revived. I wouldn't even touch that Fire Temple becuase the show killed it off. Same goes for the snakes, unless theyre on sale for super cheap lol.

Anyway, the trailer for episode 24 of the tv show features a robot, which looks like a giant version of Garmadon. Seeing as the robot has joints that clearly mimic one of the many types LEGO has produced, I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes an exclusive set.

what do you mean by Bat and Crab-like? are you talking about the stone warriors or the ninjas? lol I am really excited about these sets. I was gonna get legends of chima with my money before christmas, but i'm now gonna get these because 1.Theyre cheaper than the 80$ croc boat lol 2. only like 6 sets. I feel bad about dissing the ninjago franchise, because i used to call it gay and retarted, stupid. But now i look at how cool these sets look compared to the older sets, and look at how they have advanced. These sets look great. Kais mech could be a little bigger, but its fine cuz its lego, and sometimes.s you cant get everything right or perfect lol. I think someone in the thread in the earlier pages said somthing about how the themes need a story or show to be a good theme. I think hes right and wrong, and its great and horrible. Great because some themes need a story so that you can act them out and have more kids enveloped with their toys, and Horrible because 1. TLG makes these sets liek The Fire Temple and all the snake sets and kills them off in the shows or stories. Why would a kid buy a Temple that would soon have burned down and never used again in the show? Same for the snakes; theyre all trapped underground in that Stone Army cave/ auditorium thing, or either died off by the devourer fight, which i sadly didnt see, but i did see him being revived. I wouldn't even touch that Fire Temple becuase the show killed it off. Same goes for the snakes, unless theyre on sale for super cheap lol.

Actually, it was the Spinjitzu Dojo that burned down (and that happened like a year after it was introduced as a set). Nothing at all happened to the Fire Temple. And personally, I don't mind that Ninjago's story ties up loose ends like that. Eliminating things like the Spinjitzu Dojo or the Serpentine helps to keep the story from stagnating by focusing too much on old settings or characters. By the time the Serpentine were sealed away again, they had basically just become comic relief anyway. By giving them a sort of karmic retribution, they're given a fitting end instead of becoming background characters like Nuckal and Kruncha. Besides, many Lego fans will buy sets because they're cool, whether or not they're relevant to the story as it stands currently.

Agreed. In your stories the 'sets' don't need to ' die/be destroyed' .

I dunno, but I still think the first waves with the skeleton's are awesome: Fire Temple, Four Dragons, Skull Truck, Skull Heli, Skull bike, etc. And the menacing eyes of Frackjaw :)

The snake sets, although son loves them, aren't that grand imo. I do appreciate techniques they use though. The Serpentine chopper may be a fave, plus the mech.

The new stone sets seem okay as well: garmatron, small mech+big mech + dragon are cool, the others meh-ish.

And with preview of episode 24 Lego made a horrible mistake this wave. :/

How do we not know there is going to be another wave? We don't know that for sure.

Look on the pics- it screams "FEENAL BATTYL" :D

But for reals, we have confirmation from above :)

It´s kinda obvious it´s the last wave. But it´s amazing how strong a reaction Ninjago´s ending is getting, as it has been around for only two years.