just2good

Legends of Chima 2013

So let me give some observations of the sets:

• Lion faction: Great color scheme: Flame Yellowish-Orange and Reddish Brown, from the looks of it. New spike detail element used for manes and claws.
  • Eagle faction: Another good color scheme: White, Earth Blue, and Bright Yellow. New mechanical-looking wing detail element in addition to the one from the minifigures. Hard to tell, but the name and pic suggest Eris might be a female character. Hope she's not the only one.
  • Crocodile faction: Lots of Bright Red, Olive Green, and White. Military builders should love these guys. Also has the claw detail element in black.
  • Raven faction: Darkest-looking faction. Color scheme is Black, Dark Red, and Medium Lilac. Also uses the same wing detail element from the Eagle faction and claw detail element from the Lion Faction. All of these detail elements will be great for Hero Factory builders IMO.
  • Wolf faction: Color scheme of Dark Red, Dark Stone Grey, and Black seems a bit mundane, but there are some great new wheel elements.

Overall seeing a lot of MOCing potential and story potential here. Can't wait to learn more details. I wonder if a teaser site will show up in the coming months? Chima.LEGO.com already redirects to the LEGO.com homepage, so I guess we'd better keep our eyes on that address in the near future!

Edited by Aanchir

I am not sure, to small pictures.

I wonder how Lego will market this. You know, Ninjago had four ninja's for kids to identify with, LoC seems missing such ' lead ' characters.

It may have just been me but it looks like the brickshow guys have better quality pics. Here you go.

Same image just made bigger.

TLG must feel it can't win. It is criticised from some fans by using too many stickers. And then, when it creates some (in my opinion, lovely) brickbuilt animal-motifs, it is told from some quarters it's using the wrong colours.

TLG must feel it can't win. It is criticised from some fans by using too many stickers. And then, when it creates some (in my opinion, lovely) brickbuilt animal-motifs, it is told from some quarters it's using the wrong colours.

People never stop compaling, heh.

I love how well build these animalvechs are. Or at least they look as they are.

Wowsers bowsers!

So, I know where my money is going next year for sure and it looks like my planned MOCs can be inhabited by some awesom characters.

Wow, I'm pretty impressed with these sets. The crocodile heads look awesome, I love the eagle mech, and I'm really happy that we get different color versions of the minifig wings. The lion vehicle, 70005, looks really cool (aside from the treads) so hats off to the designer who sculpted that lion head!

I like that the new wing piece will be available in so many sets, that means it will be easy to get through Bricklink (because I can't see myself getting any of these sets). I'm amazed by the number of sets this theme is getting, 17! Hopefully this will not impact negatively on other themes. :look:

I like the Croc Boat. It's too expensive for my taste, though. I like the crocs, so I might get Crominus. I like the "small" set with Razcal too. I guess I'm rooting for the crocs!

Wow. I have to say, this really looks a bit better than Ninjago.

Curse you Lego. My money....

EDIT: I'm spotting that new axe piece..

-Sci

Edited by CM4S

Just changed my mind on several of the Speedorz sets. It's not like I wasn't going to buy them.

Edited by Penkid11

Well, now I've had some time to let this theme "sink in", and with some better pictures I think I'll go ahead and give some detailed thoughts...

In short: the sets are growing on me.

le_chimarazcalsrabengleitera.jpg

I LOVE this set. It's a low price ponit, awesome wing pieces, neat design and fantastic minifigure. Even if I don't buy into the whole Chima deal, I'll probably pick this sucker up. What's the theme here? Ravens? "Dark" eagles? Whatever, it looks great.

le_chimacrawleysreptiliengreifera.jpg

This is also one of my favorites from the theme. Low price point is great, and a pretty neat design overall - I'll even forgive the use of the giant "Power Miners" wheels because of the new color. I like the croc figure; however, the (lion? tiger?) figure is probably my least favorite out of what we've seen thus far. Much too... Thundercats.

le_chimawakzwolfstrackera.jpg

Oh hell yes. I LOVE this set. FANTASTIC design, awesome minifigs and just an amazing overall look. Why don't we get more Wolves? This is by far my favorite. I can't even think of a criticism right now.

le_chimaerisadlerjaegera.jpg

A little bit "meh". I like the cockpit, but the rest of the model isn't too eye-grabbing for me (although the engine on the main body is a nice touch). Great figs though.

le_chimaequilasultrastrikera.jpg

Now that's better. I love the idea of the set and the execution is pretty good. Again, not a showstopper, but not bad either.

le_chimalavalsloewenquada.jpg

Probably my least favorite set here. It's just so... skeletal. Reminds me unpleasantly of Exo-Force. Also, crocs with ray guns? Goodness.

le_chimacraggerscrocbootzentralea.jpg

The only possible reason I would pick this up is for the fantastic olive-green parts. Otherwise, I'm unimpressed. It looks like a squashed alligator. However, I wish we could get a better look at the figs; they look to have potential.

All in all, this theme is a nice surprise. It's fresh, and definitely distinct from NinjaGo - I take back what I said earlier. I'm not yet certain if I'll be getting these sets, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted. That wolf-truck... man. That would look so awesome on display.

Edited by Algernon

I am not sure, to small pictures.

I wonder how Lego will market this. You know, Ninjago had four ninja's for kids to identify with, LoC seems missing such ' lead ' characters.

Well, Ninjago made it abundantly clear who its lead characters are since they were so distinctive and color-coded, but I have no doubt Chima will have main characters of some fashion. It just might not be immediately apparent in terms of the set designs.

I like that the new wing piece will be available in so many sets, that means it will be easy to get through Bricklink (because I can't see myself getting any of these sets). I'm amazed by the number of sets this theme is getting, 17! Hopefully this will not impact negatively on other themes. :look:

Ninjago had 14 sets its first wave (and its first 2012 wave), as did Friends. Plus, this is presumably the first theme that will tie into a full TV series shortly after its initial release, so it's understandable that they'd anticipate a lot of demand. Of course, I'm not sure how the generally higher price points of several of these sets might affect things. I believe the Speedorz may be priced higher than Ninjago spinners or booster packs.

Let's also consider that unless I'm mistaken, we don't know for sure that all of these are sets from the January wave. Almost certainly all from the first half of the year, but that could mean first-quarter (January) or second-quarter (April) releases.

EDIT: Yep, at least four of the Speedorz sets (70104, 70105, 70106, and 70115) are listed as March releases. With that in mind, if we don't count store exclusives, there are actually FEWER sets in the January wave than in the January 2011 wave of Ninjago or the January 2012 waves of Ninjago and Friends.

Out of box pics:

Thanks so much for the pics! The sets all still look phenomenal. Although I'm a bit disappointed that only the Speedorz sets have any non-vehicle-based structures, and those are limited to some arches, nests, and shrine-type pedestal things.

Probably my least favorite set here. It's just so... skeletal. Reminds me unpleasantly of Exo-Force. Also, crocs with ray guns? Goodness.

It reminds me of Exo-Force as well, but not in a bad way. I do hope that the treads stay in place better than on the Mobile Defense Tank, though.

The only possible reason I would pick this up is for the fantastic olive-green parts. Otherwise, I'm unimpressed. It looks like a squashed alligator. However, I wish we could get a better look at the figs; they look to have potential.

This one is another great set IMO. No, it's not tremendously intimidating, but I like the structure (dinghies on the claws? Yes please!) and I'm sure it will look much better when floating.

I'm surprised not to see more of the Speedorz parts in the model sets. But I don't mind those sets' designs. Four different animal head shells with a decent number of attachment points, and the vehicle bodies don't seem too obtrusive or limited in their use (though I'm mostly just guessing from what little I can see of them). I don't think they impress me as much as the Ninjago spinners, which had a certain simplicity to their design that I greatly appreciated, but I'm beginning to understand why kids are expected to be interested in them.

Edited by Aanchir

Oh yes, give me those figures!

They seem to look great. Good for those who like to have lots of different kinds of alien species in any kind of Sci-Fi theme like me.

I like to see that those Arkham Asylum wings are being used here as well.

Is that a brown crocodile head in the buggy set, or is it me? The croc boat is very messy looking for me.. But It'll probably be the first Chima set I get because it has a ton of those croc figs... I like the ravens as well.

Edited by TheRedGuy

Is that a brown crocodile head in the buggy set, or is it me? The croc boat is very messy looking for me.. But It'll probably be the first Chima set I get because it has a ton of those croc figs... I like the ravens as well.

It is a brown croc - not just you unless we're both just seeing things!

nope, they are still legends of chima, only the pictures are so small... look at the {Razcals Raven glider} on brickset, you can see it says "legends",

These sets are better than Ninjago, IMO

Yeah, spotted that when Aanachir pointed it out. . . :wall:

Thanks for the new pics, those are a lot easier to see! :thumbup: I'm really liking the bigger eagle vehicle! :wub:

Wow, very interesting pictures. First thing that struck me is the colour scheme. I don't think theres been a theme before so far from the traditional colour palette. A few words on what I felt were more notable sets:

Wak's Wolf Tracker - A strong resemblance to the Skull truck which was a bit of a shelfwarmer compared to the other Ninjago sets flying off shelves. Will history repeat itself or will it be a hot seller? I do like that the firing mechanism is spring loaded and not flick fire.

Crawley's Reptile Gripper - Plastic wheel! Nooooo! I know tyres are costly, but other vehicles in this line have them. The look of this vehicle is a bit too strange for my taste.

Equila's Ultra Striker - This is my favourite vehicle of the wave. Looks very sleek and cool, topped off with a striking colour scheme.

Craggers Croc-Boat HQ - How many Eurobricks members are familiar with the Super Nintendo game Donkey Kong Country 2? Reminds me of the flying crock, even though that was more helicopter than boat. Looks like a nice set anyway.

sV7m4.jpg