ACCURATEin

PAB Cups: What Did You Get?

I filled a tall cup the other night and after an our with my brick separator this morning it seems I got:

107 clear cheese wedges

102 tr. orange cheese wedges

15 red 1x8 tiles

118 brown 1x2 plates

51 red 1x2 hinge brick upper

51 red 1x2 hinge brick lower

28 sand yellow 4x4 plates

17 sand yellow 2x10 plates

7 clear 1x2x2 walls

35 black 1x2 profile bricks

39 sand yellow 1x4 bricks

88 sand yellow 1x2 palisade bricks

148 sand yellow 1x2x2 corner plates

32 tr. yellow 1x1 round plates

61 tr. blue 1x1 round plates

77 tr. red 1x1 round plates

For a total of 925 parts, or a price of about 1.5 cents pert part. It's nowhere close to my best effort but compared to ordering the parts individually at PAB S@H prices (133.80 USD) it works out to about an 89% savings, so I figure it's not a bad haul.

But I have a solution for the weight pricing... If someone can defy physics and slow down the force of gravity, we would be paying for little more than mass... :tongue:

Haha! You could bring your own supply of lighter-than-air gas to fill in the cup and end up barely paying anything! XD

So, you're gonna take a helium or hydrogen balloon to the PaB wall? It may be hard getting the He or H into the cup, even holding the cup upside down, and letting the He/H empty into the cup. It'll be easier to just tie the balloon to the cup.

Lighter-than-air gasses, defying gravity, or anything else you come up with, all sounds like ways to put the lift in shoplifting. I would not do it.

Besides, the store staff will wonder what's up when they hear customers sounding like Donald Duck.

So, you're gonna take a helium or hydrogen balloon to the PaB wall? It may be hard getting the He or H into the cup, even holding the cup upside down, and letting the He/H empty into the cup. It'll be easier to just tie the balloon to the cup.

Lighter-than-air gasses, defying gravity, or anything else you come up with, all sounds like ways to put the lift in shoplifting. I would not do it.

Besides, the store staff will wonder what's up when they hear customers sounding like Donald Duck.

I think they were just joking :wink: I agree it would be dishonest to pull something like that :laugh:

I think they were just joking :wink: I agree it would be dishonest to pull something like that :laugh:

I knew it was a joke. This discussion is probably best imagined happening in Donald Duck's voice. Or in your fave comedian's voice.

For the same reason, we'll never see TARDIS-shaped PaB cups. Can you imangine how many bricks can you put in one of those!?

I bought my first PAB cup today in Cologne. I didn't have much time, so I guess I could have stuffed some more stuff in there, but all in all I'm pretty satisfied with my haul. If only I had a LEGO store close by, so I could do this more often. :sad:

nvbesejs.jpg

vk7gjhgb.jpg

Edited by Speedboat

I bought my first PAB cup today in Cologne. I didn't have much time, so I guess I could have stuffed some more stuff in there, but all in all I'm pretty satisfied with my haul. If only I had a LEGO store close by, so I could do this more often. :sad:

Great pieces! I'm rather envious of all the leaves :wub:

I'm planning a visit to Munich's LEGO store next week, and I'm hoping to get some of those greenery pieces. The inventory on Brickbuildr is a week old, and it's not complete, so I'm hoping for the best, to get something interesting.

And I wish I had a LEGO store somewhere closer, to check on PAB more often.

I finally was able to visit a LEGO brand store and got my first Pick-a-brick cup. I will tally up the totals later to see what I ended up with. I was overwhelmed with the great piece overload. Although, I didn't notice any flowers or flower stalks there. They had a few leaves, but that is about it. They mostly had bricks, which was great. Looking back, I should have bought another cup, but I already did enough damage while I was there. I'll have to tally up the totals later tonight to share with everyone.

Edit: I finally tallied up my totals.

7 white 1x16 brick

7 white 2x2 brick

5 tan 2x2 brick

10 light blue gray 2x4 brick

15 reddish-brown 1x4 brick

27 light blue gray 1x4 brick

8 black 1x2 grill brick

18 yellow 1x2 brick

5 blue 1x4 plate

13 yellow 1x4 plate

7 yellow flower piece (not sprue)

12 dark blue gray 1x1 brick

39 med blue 1x2 brick

10 trans black 1x2 brick

8 trans clear 1x2x2 pane

22 trans clear 1x2 brick

25 tan 1x2 log brick

88 dark red 1x2 brick

10 tan 2x2 corner plate

3 black antennae

4 black 1x2 ladder hooks

2 green leaf pieces

6 trans red 1x1 tile

2 light blue gray 1x2 tile with gauges

3 dark trans blue 2x2 round brick

21 white 1x2 grill tile

4 light blue gray 1x2 plate with 1 finger

4 light blue gray 1x2 plate with 2 finger

20 trans clear 1x1 round plate

134 reddish-brown 1x4 tile

537 total pieces at approximately $0.03/piece. Not too shabby I would say. I was rushed at the end because we had a toddler with us, so I just tossed things in and didn't place them as I normally would have. Next time I will definitely be smarter about which pieces I want. This was my first outing so I was just grabbing everything I could. Putting everything back into the cup without stacking things I couldn't fit any dark red, medium blue, trans clear, trans black, or white bricks. So approximately 200 less pieces if I just tossed things in insouciantly.

I am excited to go back, but I will be sure and put these pieces to good use.

Edited by TheLegoDr

Isn't Pick-a-brick great?!? Be careful, it starts with one cup, and before you know it you've bought dozens and dozens. I'm afraid to count how many small and large cups I have around the house, and since I've used many of them more than once... If I do count I better not do it while my wife is around. It's interesting to see the pieces you selected. Some of those I haven't seen yet (and I've visited 4 different LEGO stores this year, but only get to two regularly). Others are regulars on the wall. As you visit more often, you'll get a sense of which pieces are rare, and when you see them you'll stock up. The Medium Blue and Dark Red bricks you found are great examples. The one time I saw those I bought a whole bunch of each. I've also bought a lot of brown and gray bricks from the wall, since those aren't very common in the brick boxes. I tend to stay way from the common colors (Red, Yellow, Blue, Green, White) because I can always pick up one of the basic brick boxes if I want more of those.

It's definitely fun, and I love reading about other people's discoveries here because the closest stores are 2-5 hours away so I only get there every couple of months. LEGO always runs a promo in November-December where you can get a pick-a-brick box with a minimum purchase (I think it's $75). You can't fill the box until after the holidays, but the boxes are a great way to get basic 1x and 2x bricks. You can stack a lot in the box, I seem to recall that the box is 11 studs square. Last time I stocked up on Gray, Orange, and Brown bricks with my box. This year I'm hoping to earn a few boxes.

Can't WAIT for the holiday box promo to start later this week. Have hundreds of $$$ I'm planning to spend, which means lots of free boxes. Just have to do it in many visits (limit 1 free box per visit) but that's ok since I have a lego store in town.

I think last year I ended up with 6 or so free boxes. :wub:

I'm fairly new to buying LEGO at the official stores. Just curiosity, how do you 'qualify' for holiday box promos?

Can't WAIT for the holiday box promo to start later this week.

I'm fairly new to buying LEGO at the official stores. Just curiosity, how do you 'qualify' for holiday box promos?

Usually by spending $75+. I hope to hit the LEGO store today to get the Winter Village set, and check out the PaB wall.

You spend the required amount. If you are supposed to spend $75, the you must check out with at least $75 worth of product. And usually, every interval of $75 gets you one depending on the kind of employees at the store you have, so potentially you could get more then one. This is just an example and doesn't just apply to USD.

Edited by Penkid11

Thanks for the info.

Usually by spending $75+. I hope to hit the LEGO store today to get the Winter Village set, and check out the PaB wall.

You spend the required amount. If you are supposed to spend $75, the you must check out with at least $75 worth of product. And usually, every interval of $75 gets you one depending on the kind of employees at the store you have, so potentially you could get more then one. This is just an example and doesn't just apply to USD.

When does the holiday box promo starts? In November?

Yep, holiday box starts Nov 1. And whether you can get multiple depends on your store, so might wanna ask before buying a ton of stuff. My store only gives 1 per purchase, so I just stop in multiple times :)

Thanks for the info. The closest store is 6,5 hrs away by train (one way), and I just returned from the trip a couple hours ago (it started at midnight), so I'm not in the mood to go back there soon. :sadnew:(more in the mood to sleep in). Also, I forgot to ask about the promo box, and the lady at the counter didn't said anything.

To stay on topic, I got two big and one small cup at PAB, and I was quiet happy with the selection. :wub_drool: Got some usefull bricks for my next 'experiment'. The bricks need to be sorted, so I'll post pics later. In case anyone is interested, I updated the Munich's wall at BrickBuildr.

EDIT: So, I've finally made it through the PAB cups. In total, 3 big and 1 small cup were full. I had very little time to fill them, so I could probably stuff them better. Anyway, here are the pictures.

pick-a-brick_01.jpg

pick-a-brick_04.jpg

pick-a-brick_06.jpg

pick-a-brick_07.jpg

pick-a-brick_10.jpg

Edited by Redhead1982

2 cups. Mainly to get white bricks for a music album build. Happy, that I finally got some horses.

Picture19165.jpg

I would have bought many many windows had there been any when I was in my local (3+ hours away) store. I can't wait to see what you can build with them!