Ondra

Lego technic challenge 2012

Why are we getting a "shoop da woop"(sic) in the gallery? :rofl:

Anyway, my post with the substitute L and servo motors got deleted, so I'm reposting them.

servo_lmotors.png

Just follow this link, then import them into your model, or save each motor as a group. Thse substitutions are useful if you are modeling in LDD, like myself. They are completely held together, so they can be moved easily :thumbup: .

two new cases of plagiarism and the original builder is lego itself :hmpf_bad:

image.jpgimgres.jpg

i think the moderation of the contest gallery should once per week sort the valid entrys in the front row. meanwhile are to much invalid and rubbish entrys to hold an overview over valid entrys

current valid entrys

alasdair1990,

maybe muneco2005,

maybe JakeRaines47,

peconta, MarkusOSX,

hrontos,

MrNickLiff,

MachineBrick

adri2711,

freggel2012,

reddddoo,

megil07

efferman

chrislegix

driva00sCreations

bygge_mannen

alecongedo

someone forgotten?

Edited by efferman

i think the moderation of the contest gallery should once per week sort the valid entrys in the front row.

It looks to me like the moderators check only vulgarity/violence etc. of the entries, not really a compliance with the rules.

It would really improve the gallery if the "valid" (fully or partially) criteria should be the main sorting criteria and only after that the oldest/newest. Everybody would still have possibility to publish his creations without making complete mess in the gallery.

It looks like they have also some technical problems since sometimes pictures do not show at all or some dummy pictures are there.

yes, in my understanding of the rules the tracks ar not legal, so i have skipped his entry

It will be quite interesting to see how TLG will judge such things, because from my point of view, it is not important if parts are attached to the upper part of the chassis or the lower part. So his entry can be treated as a wheeled chassis with many "extra" parts which can be used to build tracks. :classic: Wheels for the summer, tracks for the winter. Of course, rules specify, that challenge is to build a new body and tracks are not a body. But the people like the idea, so I am really curious, because until now did not think that it can be treated as not compliant.

It would be good if TLG could reply to each entry if they treat it as compliant or not - they can leave in the gallery all entries but at least inform the creator, that the entry is or is not considered as compliant with the rules.

Is it only me not seeing pictures of many entries? It looks like the website does not always loads properly and does not show the thumbnails in the gallery or even pictures on an entry detail.

Edited by hrontos

It will be quite interesting to see how TLG will judge such things, because from my point of view, it is not important if parts are attached to the upper part of the chassis or the lower part. So his entry can be treated as a wheeled chassis with many "extra" parts which can be used to build tracks. Wheels for the summer, tracks for the winter. Of course, rules specify, that challenge is to build a new body and tracks are not a body. But the people like the idea, so I am really curious, because until now did not think that it can be treated as not compliant.

I agree with this. I think it's possible tracks could qualify. However, I think it's very possible the tracks as designed by Zblj1987 (and reddddoo) may exceed the allowable stress limits for the servo. The tracks are quite long, so there is a lot of surface area. The single servo must turn all four, which I think may be an issue. On a flat, smooth surface it would probably be okay. There wouldn't be much drag rotating the tracks. But on a surface with more friction, such as carpet for example, that will put a lot of stress on the servo. Especially if the truck is sitting in place.

I actually built a track system myself. It's much simpler and smaller, since I only have track pieces from one excavator. With the reduced size it seemed to perform okay. But they're so small it doesn't fit the size of the chassis. The tracks by Zblj1987 do fit very well, but do they function as well? I'm not so sure. Another issue is how much the drivetrain is geared down. With the main track wheel being much smaller than the original tire diameter, it causes the speed to decrease significantly.

Basically, I think Zblj1987's design looks fantastic and that it could possibly qualify under the set rules. However, functionality is a concern and may be the only reason it cannot be chosen.

Is it only me not seeing pictures of many entries? It looks like the website does not always loads properly and does not show the thumbnails in the gallery or even pictures on an entry detail.

Many of the pictures, about half, will still not load for me either with Firefox. But with Chrome I am able to see every picture. I have not tried Internet Explorer.

Well, I realise that the crawler will be slower and harder to steer with tracks, but the extra grip IF they use the pads will sure make up for all.

Well, I realise that the crawler will be slower and harder to steer with tracks, but the extra grip IF they use the pads will sure make up for all.

Actually, that extra friction will make it even harder to steer. Here, I'll show you a video of my design. You can see that it turns fine when the truck is moving. But when it is sitting still the servo has a hard time turning the tracks. You can even hear it struggling. This is also a smaller track configuration, so any bigger would be harder on the servo.

People can't grasp the idea that it's just significantly harder to turn the wheels of a standing car. Even in real life.

@Zblj

Do you use any kind of angle limitation for the tracks, so that they won´t flip over while climbing ?

I´d like your idea and style, but I also think it´s not the best way to use steerable tracks.

Greetz

Markus

Edited by MarkusOSX

Is this one allowed?

It looks really good but I am unsure about the chassis.

Since TLG allows you to submit a sketch or a hand drawn picture of your creation, it is possible to submit virtually anything. It does not make too much difference drawing it by hand or showing some existing body.

I personally do not like such entries, because with this high chassis the Land Rover will look much differently so the gallery entry looks much better than will the final product. More over, it is probably branded design so it will not be possible to replicate.

Actually, that extra friction will make it even harder to steer.

In the real life when you install tracks on a quad bike it behaves exactly the same way - it is much harder to steer when bike is not moving. Zblj's creation can look really good as some kind of arctic tracker on winter snow. And it should also perform better on such snow surface than wheeled version.

Is this one allowed?

It looks really good but I am unsure about the chassis.

Chassis is not original. But realization is very nice. Branded design of LR is too unique to copy it for free.

The tracks are made, so they are nice and tight, with the newer version of tracks, which are tighter than older ones. About steering issue, the servo motor is the most torqey Lego motor and along with the long pivot point and the low steering angle it should be strong enough IMO.

Hi,

wanna present you my new model for the challenge :wink:

8100801160_1c7e933949_c.jpg

8100947776_507c8268bb_c.jpg

8100791041_429140e6f7_c.jpg

8100790523_8652969076_c.jpg

8100826076_f705f0d11d_c.jpg

Greetz

Markus

Edited by MarkusOSX

@ MarkusOSX: I like the "skull" on the front grille, and the "powder blue" color (which has not been produced in any Lego Technic panels, as far as I know).

Well, since the red Battery Box hold-down strap is part of the "chassis" (and not the "top"), one could assume that it is required. TLG has been silent since this competition started 2-1/2 weeks ago.

I thnk the description of the rules for this contest is very vague. I don't think the doors are nessecary, since they are not the chassis and they are definately not on the pics for the competition, but they are built with step 1 in the instructions. What about the orange panels on the sides?

i have removed this part and mounted it at my body. when they say this is not legal, then i this is my problem but i dont think that they make problems at this point.