Sign in to follow this  
Ferrik

Which Hobbit set are you most looking forward to?

124 members have voted

1. 1. Which Hobbit set are you most looking forward to?

• 79000 Riddles for the Ring
    • 79001 Escape from Mirkwood Spiders
    • 79002 Attack of the Wargs
    • 79003 An Unexpected Gathering
    • 79004 Barrel Escape
    • 79010 The Goblin King Battle
  2. 2. What is the main reason you chose that set?

• The parts
    • The minifigures
    • The set itself

I suspect "The Orc King" set will feature identical orcs than the ones from the Mines of Moria set. (Except from the actual King, of course. BTW In the book he is referred to as the Great Goblin.)

I suspect "The Orc King" set will feature identical orcs than the ones from the Mines of Moria set. (Except from the actual King, of course. BTW In the book he is referred to as the Great Goblin.)

No no, I can almost guarantee you the goblins/orcs will look diferent, these orcs does not wear the same armor as the moria ones.

I kinda hope they are the same because I don't see us getting any other sets with the Moria Golbins in them other than maybe a Balrog set, and I want to create a huge Moria Golbin army :tongue:

Edited by Deathleech

As stated before a lot of the sets put forth on brickapedia via some German toy store seem fishy. Wrong names and I have seen a clear trend of TLG putting more mini-figures in sets and the figs mentioned seem well lacking and not a complete set of the main characters. The lack of a complete set of main characters made me think its sorta bogus. On a better note I am really hyped about wargs and would love to see some warg animal mounts (like many on here). I am just not getting my hopes up till I see some actual pictures.

I voted for Bag-End I just love the feel of the set, having the fire going, Bilbo with a surprised face peeping past the door and four Dwarves sat on the steps and Gandalf stood waiting. I can imagine it on my shelf now, an it seems like one of those sets once its built and displayed you get the feeling that you know it was worth it.

I know the sets haven't come out and it's really only speculation but I just wanted to know what you all would like if these sets were actually coming out and they might be... When more information comes, I will definitely add some pictures.

The mystery of the ring set is guaranteed if you read another topic I posted the prices as well

NOTHING has been confirmed as far as I know, other than the Bag End set. Those small German toy shops posting sets with minifig and price expectations are NOT confirmation of anything yet.

True, but haven't sites like that proved accurate in the past? Not that that will be the case this time around, but still.

I just hope that we get a different facial expression for the Gollum minifigure this time around. Something like this would be great:

gollum.jpg

Since the Hobbit sets have been announced, now would be the perfect time to vote for your favourite Hobbit set. Have fun discussing your vote here. :sweet:

Now that i have seen all the pics i still think Bag End is the best one. And as i am likely to only buy one set from this time thats the one I am most liekly to buy.

My vote goes to 79003 An Unexpected Gathering - ''Bag End'' - and mainly for the parts, as I'm likely to sell the minifigures. As for the other, I'd like to see inventories first, and then decide whether or not to buy them. But I do like the redish brown leaves and new mushrooms. I'm loved Hobbit and LOTR books, but am not so fond of the LEGO version, except for some new parts.

As for the poll, I can't vote - there's an error saying I have to answer both questions, and also the results are not representative (1 vote from 35 voters).

My last post was deleted when the site went down. Before that I said the Goblin King Battle would probably be my choice for favorite set. First off it has a good amount of minifigures with 3 goblins that are all totally different from each other, 3 dwarves, Gandalf, and of course the Goblin King who looks cool. The dwarves are probably my least favorite looking of the bunch, but that's ok considering what else the set has going for it. It looks to have a ton of play features and is the only set in The Hobbit wave (other than An Unexpected Journey) that looks like a full set and not several random parts floating in space. The Riddle, Spider, and Warg sets are nothing more than a few trees and rocks. Lastly the Goblin King Battle has a decent price at $99.99. I was fully expecting it to be around $119.99 considering it has almost as many minifigures as Helm's Deep and one of the figs is a huge new mold. Granted the piece count isn't terribly high, but it seems to have a lot of fun pieces in it so I was delightfully surprised by the price.

Before I saw the sets I definetly thought the Attack of the Wargs would be my favorite. It's still a close runner up, but after seeing everything I think my list looks something more like this now: The Goblin King Battle < Barrel Escape < Attack of the Wargs < An Unexpected Gatheting < Escape from Mirkwood Spiders < Riddles for the Ring. I know a ton of people LOVE the Bag end set, but I am just not crazy about it. In case you havn't noticed, I love me some crazy creatures like goblins, orcs, wargs, etc. This is why I had high hopes for the Warg set, but after seeing it only had 2 Wargs instead of 3, no eagle, and wasn't an army builder by any stretch I was a bit dissapointed. Don't get me wrong, the set looks fantastic, I just wish it would of been done slightly different.

Riddles for the Ring is clearly a distant last for me and I wish Lego would start using this price slot for something else, like a proper battle pack or army builder. It seems people are pretty lukewarm about the Gandalf Arrives and riddles for the Ring set since they obviously have to be simple and plain at such a low price point. However, I think an army builder with 3-4 minifigures and a catapult or small castle piece, or camp would sell amazingly. Look how many people snatched up dozens of Uruk-Hai Army sets and that set wasn't even a proper army builder and was fairly expensive. I know army builders might not be as popular among smaller children who these toys are aimed at.. but I can garuntee an army builder pack would probably make up for it with all the repeat copies people would buy. I know myself I would buy like 20 Gondor Soldier packs if they were done right, and 30 or so Mordor Orc ones!

Anyways, sorry for the rant... Btw, I am not able to vote either.

Edited by Deathleech

I think all the sets look excellent, but to me An Unexpecte Gathering (Bag End) is my favourite. There are so many dwarves included... :wub: The burrow itself looks great too though, with lots of green and I'm sure the interior will be packed full of accesories and will look stunning.

As for the poll, I can't vote - there's an error saying I have to answer both questions, and also the results are not representative (1 vote from 35 voters).

I'll try and fix the error as soon as possible. And there is only 1 vote so far because this topic was created some time before the sets were announced, but now that the sets have been confirmed, a new poll would be better. :sweet:

EDIT: It should work now as I restarted the poll, if it still doesn't work, please don't hesitate to post a comment.

Edited by Ferrik

Thanks, Ferrik. It works now. :classic:

EDIT: It should work now as I restarted the poll, if it still doesn't work, please don't hesitate to post a comment.

Bag End. The minifigures are nice in every set, but the rest of the scenes are not that interesting for me. They still have decent parts, so it's not a complete waste, but I am not willing to pay the license markup for general rock/tree/interior pieces. Mirkwood spiders is OK since that's a smaller set, but I am likely to skip the rest.

It was hard choosing between Mirkwood, the barrel escape and Bag End. I ended up voting for Mirkwood because of the elves, the glow in the dark pieces, the mushrooms and the dark red leaves :wub_drool:

It was hard choosing between Mirkwood, the barrel escape and Bag End. I ended up voting for Mirkwood because of the elves, the glow in the dark pieces, the mushrooms and the dark red leaves :wub_drool:

Same here. I think I will be buying multiples of this set...

I've been thinking about it some more, and here are my top choices:

1. Bag End - the most complete and representative set of the wave. Gets you Gandalf and Bilbo, several distinctive dwarves, and a very important location for both Hobbit and LOTR. This is a gotta-have set.

2. Wargs - although I still don't think this is a $50 set, it is a good build of a tree, and I love those. Plus, more orcs for my horde, and two wargs. I hated the wargs at first glance, but they're really growing on me. They look halfway between the Hobbit wargs and the ones from TTT, neatly sidestepping that whole continuity issue.

3. Barrel Escape - it's not perfect, but it is a nice build. Love the arch technique, it's such a "why didn't I think of that?" moment. Spiral stairs! Plenty of goblets and bottles, plus two more Elves.

The Elves that I really, really want are Legolas and Tauriel, but I don't think the Mirkwood set is that great. It also annoys the hell out of me that PJ and his cohorts seem to have changed the plot around so the Elves are rescuing the Dwarves, instead of Bilbo doing the rescuing. This was a great moment for Bilbo in the book, and it's kind of sad to see it stolen from him.

The Goblin Town set really isn't calling my name. It's a nice enough set, but at the $100 price point there are way too many other sets that I want more.

Well, having forgotten most of the details of the story itself, the sets don't mean much to me. They seem a little nondescript and i would wonder if the upcoming movie were to change that. Them dwarves with their fairy tale names and appearances are a little silly.

Bag End however, is one beautiful set i'd like to have - for it's LOTR flavor anyway. It's nicely designed and has this 'innocent home' atmosphere around it. The gadgets are plenty and the set in general combines the best elements of the civil castle sets i like so much (MMV, MVR, KJ).

Of the other sets i like only some parts - elves and say, the wargs.Let's wait for the prices. Some of them might find a generic purpose as a cantina, an elf living-tree or some other adventureous place.

An Unexpected Gathering, by far! Everything about it appeals to me, from the minifigs (Balin :wub: ) to the cool design of the hobbit hole. The first part of the book, with the dwarves coming to Bag End to plan the journey, is one of my favourite things in the story, and I think the set is a solid base to recreate this scene. The interior is a bit small, but I didn't really expect anything else scale-wise.

My second favourite set is the Goblin King Battle. Orc / goblin minifigs are always nice to have, though I don't know why they look different from the Moria orcs / goblins from the LotR set and the Warg Attack set. Apart from the minifigs, this set looks very useful partswise.

2. Wargs - although I still don't think this is a $50 set

What makes you say that? Is it just because the set looks kinda small with only the one tree and the two rock formations? If so I agree there, I think the second rock formation could of been ditched to add an extra limb or two to the tree. Really though, the set doesn't seem like a bad deal. It has 400 pieces and is $49.99, bringing the price per piece out to be just under 13 cents. That's not bad at all for a license set that has several unique minifigures and 2 totally new, fairly large Warg molds. Attack on Weathertop only has 30 more pieces, the same amount of minifigures and animals, and yet it was 10 more bucks.

Let's wait for the prices.

The prices have already pretty much been confirmed through a game give away and through a couple news sites.

I know that a lot of people will disagree, but I chose the Mirkwood spiders set. Although the set itself is quite bland and the spiders can not live up to Shelob, the figure selection is really great! I feel like Tauriel is going to become one of my favourite characters from the films, so to be able to get her minifig, along with Legolas in his armour, a year before the second film's release is quite a treat. Also, Fili and Kili are really awesome figs. But to be fully honest, I feel like without every dwarf, all the sets seem quite empty.

I don't mean to be a downer here, but these sets don't do that much for me, which is a weird feeling. I love castle stuff and am a major LotR fan, but these sets just don't have enough substance for me. Bag End is beautiful, and I'm sure I'll get it, but the rest are just disconnected elements. I really need a structure. A building. Helms Deep is by far my favorite LotR set, and all my favorite classic castle sets either have a base plate, or connect to a larger one that does. The minifigs are fantastic, so that helps, but I don't think it's enough for me to justify buying all of these sets.

Perhaps I'll feel differently after I see the film.