Sign in to follow this  
MacK

The Frigate Talos

8083549209_3b378c674a_z.jpg

Well, I quite enjoyed building Dovahkiin so I decided to try my hand at another ship!

More Pictures can be found in my flickr:

Enjoy

Nice job on the presentation. The frigate feels a little underdeveloped for mine though. I think the fact it appears almost box-like is one of the main contributing facts, that and the large amount of studs on the sides without any detail. The missile racks are a nice detail, perhaps some more greebling on the sides, or some wings (though in space they aren't really necessary). Good job, an I look forward to future designs.

interesting design. you do like boxs dont you :tongue: . i think an external command bridge would be nice

Edited by TheLegoNinja

Excellent piece of sci-fi engineering 'MacK', a bridge on top would give it a battle ship feel to it.....inspiration comes from ? :wink:

Brick On Fight On 'MacK' ! :wink:

Looks like an air conditioning unit :laugh:

I'd add some random tiles on the hull to look like "panels" just to break up the boxy shape, maybe a few trans pieces for "lights".

Lego sapce ships, especially when they are big and made at minifig scale have always impress me a lot. I really like how you design the front and the back of it, because like I think we can more appreciate the simplicity of the entire body. From the interior I really like what I think is supposed to be the engine room with the earset at the right of them and also the light you put against the ladders.

Well done!

Thank you for the honest feedback, guys.

Nice job on the presentation. The frigate feels a little underdeveloped for mine though. I think the fact it appears almost box-like is one of the main contributing facts, that and the large amount of studs on the sides without any detail. The missile racks are a nice detail, perhaps some more greebling on the sides, or some wings (though in space they aren't really necessary). Good job, an I look forward to future designs.

I realize that the sides of the frigate are rather bland, but honestly I couldn't find anything to break it up. In the future I will try harder to break up the side paneling with some greebling.

interesting design. you do like boxs dont you . i think an external command bridge would be nice

I certainly do like boxes, as they allow for plenty of interior room, and they seem like a practical (if somewhat boring design :laugh: ).

Excellent piece of sci-fi engineering 'MacK', a bridge on top would give it a battle ship feel to it.....inspiration comes from ?

Brick On Fight On 'MacK' !

Thanks, on my last ship “Dovahkiin”(http://www.flickr.com/photos/64248428@N03/sets/72157631020804782/) I added a bridge on top of the ship, but I personally didn’t like it. So this time I opted for a “Pillar of Autumn” Bridge setup.

I'd add some random tiles on the hull to look like "panels" just to break up the boxy shape, maybe a few trans pieces for "lights".

Thanks, I will also try that on the next ship I build.

Lego sapce ships, especially when they are big and made at minifig scale have always impress me a lot. I really like how you design the front and the back of it, because like I think we can more appreciate the simplicity of the entire body. From the interior I really like what I think is supposed to be the engine room with the earset at the right of them and also the light you put against the ladders.

Well done!

Thank you I’m glad you enjoyed it.

Edited by MacK

I like what you did here.

I'm not into squared ships, but that one is great, and in line with the Dovahkiin.

The top turrets are really good, I might steal them for my current LDD project :wink:

I like this because there really is no reason a spacecraft needs to have a shape other than a box (a sphere has, of course, your best volume/surface area ratio, though). I bet a "real" frigate would probably look much more like this than some of the more exotic shapes out there. That being said, this is science fiction, so I will say it is a little plain, but nice work nonetheless.

I like this because there really is no reason a spacecraft needs to have a shape other than a box (a sphere has, of course, your best volume/surface area ratio, though). I bet a "real" frigate would probably look much more like this than some of the more exotic shapes out there. That being said, this is science fiction, so I will say it is a little plain, but nice work nonetheless.

On the contrary, there is no reason for a spaceship to have a box or spherical shape. I think a real spaceship would have it's shape dicted by fonctionnality and not aesthetics :wink:

I don't think the 'boxy' nature is that big a problem - what I do think is that the exterior is very plain and homogenized. It doesn't necessarily need to be over-greebled, the amount that you have is understated and well-done. But you could easily vary the weight of the studs in some places on the long sides, and also stack up plates in areas for a bit of variety and contrast. Angled and straight plates with a bold color can be used for accent stripes, and those 4x4 plates with four studs and 4x6 plates with studs along three edges can be used to mimic riveted hull plating. Additionally, the 4x4 and 4x6 triple wedge pieces can break up long straight runs with some curves.

One builder who excels in the "studded hull plates facing out" is nate_daly over at Flickr - check out some of his bulkier ships. He has a knack for studs-out hull construction that's not too repetitive.

On the contrary, there is no reason for a spaceship to have a box or spherical shape. I think a real spaceship would have it's shape dicted by fonctionnality and not aesthetics :wink:

Heh, I think we are saying the same thing, but have different visions of what is functional and aesthetic.

The top turrets are really good, I might steal them for my current LDD project :wink:

I look forward to it!

I don't think the 'boxy' nature is that big a problem - what I do think is that the exterior is very plain and homogenized. It doesn't necessarily need to be over-greebled, the amount that you have is understated and well-done. But you could easily vary the weight of the studs in some places on the long sides, and also stack up plates in areas for a bit of variety and contrast. Angled and straight plates with a bold color can be used for accent stripes, and those 4x4 plates with four studs and 4x6 plates with studs along three edges can be used to mimic riveted hull plating. Additionally, the 4x4 and 4x6 triple wedge pieces can break up long straight runs with some curves.

One builder who excels in the "studded hull plates facing out" is nate_daly over at Flickr - check out some of his bulkier ships. He has a knack for studs-out hull construction that's not too repetitive.

That is some good advice, and something that I will definitely keep in mind with the next ship that I build.

Heh, I think we are saying the same thing, but have different visions of what is functional and aesthetic.

Well in terms of functionality one of the chief features that I wanted to incorporate into Talos and Dovahkiin was a complete minifigure scale interior. I think that a rectangular shape is ideal for adding interiors, and being the novice shipbuilder that I am it’s also easy to construct and durable. If I do build another ship (and parts permitting I will) it likely will follow my current design scheme, but I will pay more attention to the plating.

Another fun build!

The bionicle? usage with cannons in particular are nice.

And nothing wrong with boxy.... possibly one of the coolest sci-fi ships ever made was a literal box :laugh:

Though I agree with the others that the side is 'plain' - and many good suggestions have been thrown out, best thing to do is try some ideas, if it works out great, if not try something else :wink:

Probably covering up the studs will make it better (yes, it will get expensive quickly if you did that. XD). Nonetheless, a very cool ship. I gotta try that design sometime.