Flipz

Theatre

After a brief search of Culture & Multimedia, I was shocked to find no mention of live theatre at all--especially since I know of several fellow Eurobricks members who are active participants in this art! So, here we can gather to discuss our passion--what plays have you seen recently? In what plays have you performed/crewed? What new discoveries have you made about yourself and your art in your experience with theatre?

I love this idea, I am a HUGE theater geek.

The most recent show I've seen is The Lion King. I saw it on Mother's Day last year in Madison with my mom.

Ah, I'm glad to find other people on Eurobricks who share a passion for theatre! I've been in several plays/musicals, and currently rehearsing for a production of Treasure Island as the Squire. I've seen several plays and musicals (touring), and two musicals on Broadway: Mary Poppins in 2008 and The Lion King last July. I'm currently saving up to go see The Lion King again in NYC. Hint: putting stuff on eBay really helps.

I was pretty involved in theatre in high school (I did lighting) and I love everything there is to theatre. The last show I saw was War Horse last February. It. Was. Amazing. Easily my favorite show so far.

Right now I'm one of six (!) ASMs on a production of Neighborhood 3: Requisition of Doom at CSULB. Tech week started on Thursday, and we open this Friday! It's been a really great process so far, our SM and most of us ASMs are all rather OCD, so our work is almost always well-organized and smooth-running--which makes it MUCH easier to deal with the inevitable disasters that happen than usual. Here's hoping our scenic crew puts as much effort into their work as we have in ours!

The play itself is a really fun piece, exploring the world of video games and the people who play them. The show has a real Left 4 Dead vibe, which has only gotten creepier since we've started getting lighting and sound in. The set design is simple, but absolutely amazing; the highlight of the set is the floor, which is covered in pink and lime post-it notes (post-it notes are a major motif throughout the play). I don't know how he managed it, but our scenic designer arranged the different individual shades of post-its so that, under certain lighting conditions, hidden patterns emerge in the floor. It's unbelievably effective, and REALLY creepy. This is shaping up to be a fantastic show--if you live in California, come by and see us!

I've been in two plays so far, with six performances, three of each, I'm probably going to do another this year. But last year, I was part of a play about Corrie ten Boom, that was a pretty major production. And when I was in fifth grade, I did a much smaller play, but that one was much smaller.

I've volunteered for a local theatre company for about two years now, on and off. My school also had a trip to Stratford, Ontario where we saw Pirates of Penzance and the Matchmaker last May.

The play itself is a really fun piece, exploring the world of video games and the people who play them. The show has a real Left 4 Dead vibe, which has only gotten creepier since we've started getting lighting and sound in. The set design is simple, but absolutely amazing; the highlight of the set is the floor, which is covered in pink and lime post-it notes (post-it notes are a major motif throughout the play). I don't know how he managed it, but our scenic designer arranged the different individual shades of post-its so that, under certain lighting conditions, hidden patterns emerge in the floor. It's unbelievably effective, and REALLY creepy. This is shaping up to be a fantastic show--if you live in California, come by and see us!

That sounds amazing! Makes me wish I lived in California. What sort of games are referenced, and is there any music used from actual games? Or is this more a look at gamer culture?

That sounds amazing! Makes me wish I lived in California. What sort of games are referenced, and is there any music used from actual games? Or is this more a look at gamer culture?

More of a look at gamer culture. I don't think we're using any music from video games, though as I said we're just now getting sound and lighting in (I'm off today while those specific elements are finalized, tomorrow is cue-to-cue). We have some really great atmospheric pieces, though--not music, but background ambiance, really eerie stuff. It makes me think a lot of Slender, actually, espectially the sound effects heard after you have 7 of the 8 pages. It's really quite creepy!

More of a look at gamer culture. I don't think we're using any music from video games, though as I said we're just now getting sound and lighting in (I'm off today while those specific elements are finalized, tomorrow is cue-to-cue). We have some really great atmospheric pieces, though--not music, but background ambiance, really eerie stuff. It makes me think a lot of Slender, actually, espectially the sound effects heard after you have 7 of the 8 pages. It's really quite creepy!

Sounds creepy, yeah. Haven't played Slender myself but I've seen videos, and if the play sounds anything like Slender... *oh2*

Best of luck with it though, I think it sounds quite interesting.

I am such a huge theater nut! :wub: I've seen a sizable amount of plays, such as Phantom of the Opera, Wicked, Lion King, How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying, White Christmas, West Side Story, and some more I can't think of. I've only been in a few actual productions, such as having played Bert the Troll in The Hobbit and Bottom in Midsummer Night's Dream. I am looking forward to finally seeing Les Miserables in person in December when it comes to Chicago, though I have seen the 25th Anniversary Concert, which I fell in love with. :grin_wub: I am also reasonably good at Sound Design and background music for plays. Sitting in the sounds booth, operating tech, having a great view, what's not to like? A few plays I would love to be involved with would definitely be Phantom of the Opera, Les Miserables, and King Lear.

I've had my fair share of theater experience, though mostly in school stage play levels only. The one that stands out for me is my first and most memorable play - Les Misérables - wherein I was the overall-in-charge (directing, lighting, props, costume, etc.). It was a hectic but very enjoyable and rewarding experience - one that has really made me a fan of this classic theatrical musical. That's why I'm pretty excited for the upcoming movie adaptation of Les Mis. :wub:

8092876557_22c862bd1f_c.jpg

My department's doing Spring Awakening in the spring, auditions will be at the start of next month. Should be interesting...the director will be leaving at the end of the semester, hopefully she goes out with a bang!

Speaking of next semester, I'm thinking about directing a Showcase at the department (every Thursday night and Friday afternoon, we have a 40-60 minute play presented for all the theatre majors, as well as anyone who wants to come watch). Problem is, my library of plays is laughably small, and consists almost entirely of multi-act 90-minute pieces. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good play that would fit the time requirements?

Went to London's Dominion Theatre with a friend to see We Will Rock You!, and I thought it was rather good. I've always been a huge fan of Queen, so I was hooked from the beginning, and it did not disappoint. The singing was top-notch (Good enough to rival Freddie in places) and the overall spectacle was very amazing indeed. The performance also had a fair share of laughs and jokes. And I admit, even I stood up and clapped in-time for We Will Rock You, and swayed for We Are The Champions at the end.

Has anyone else seen this musical? What did you all think?

Edited by Scorpiox

I am currently involved in a puduction of Ben-Hur. Its based on the novel not the moivies.

It's a very injoyable process and I am fortunate enough to have wonderful, experienced director

and good cast.