wonkyeye

LOTR & The Hobbit 2012

Thank you deskp for putting the pictures of the minifigs together.

Thanks to Wolvarie for making most of my points since I typed out a full review of the sets and lost the darn post. since I agree on almost all points I will not retype it and just say ditto!

I agree with deskp's assesment of the minifigs for the most part. I only note that Oin's beard looks better now from the front view where you can see more of his grey beard under his white mustache.

The biggest thing for me in these sets are the torsos. If TLG were to release civilian castle sets yearly for the next ten years I doubt we would get a variety of colors and style of torsos the dwarves give us! Just look at the nobles, adventurers, peasants, and merchants you can make with those. My castle world is going to be much more diverse with these available.

Of note are the leaves in new colors and mushrooms. I just wish there were more.

Dale, the real question for you is if you added lights to the castle yet!

I agree- the torsos and hair pieces are excellent!

So, we almost have all the information on the new Hobbit sets. We are only missing the piece count for two, and the confirmed price for one. This is what things are looking like:

Riddles for the Ring

Set Number: 79000

MSRP: $9.99

Pieces: 105

Price Per Piece: 0.10

Minifigures: Gollum, Bilbo in red coat

Escape from Mirkwood Spiders

Set Number: 79001

MSRP: $29.99

Pieces: 298

Price Per Piece: 0.10

Minifigures: Legolas, Tauriel, Fili, Kili

Barrel Escape

Set Number: 79004

MSRP: $39.99

Pieces: ?

Price Per Piece: ?

Minifigures: Bilbo in red coat, Gloni, Oin, 2 Elves

Attack of the Wargs

Set Number: 79002

MSRP: $49.99

Pieces: 400

Price Per Piece: 0.12

Minifigures: Bifur, Thorin, Yazneg, 2 Orcs

An Unexpected Gathering

Set Number: 79003

MSRP: $59.99-69.99 (supposedly this was quoted in a contest with this set as one of the prizes, despite it conflicting with earlier reports of a $59.99 price tag)

Pieces: ?

Price Per Piece: ?

Minifigures: Bilbo in brown, Gandalf, Balin, Dwalin, Bofur, Bombur

The Goblin King Battle

Set Number: 79010

MSRP: $99.99

Pieces: 841

Price Per Piece: 0.12

Minifigures: Gandalf, Nori, Dori, Ori, 2 Orcs/Goblins, Scribe (?)

Looks pretty good to me! All the sets are around the 10-12 cent PPP point so we don't have any high ones (so far) like we did with the first LotR wave (Gandalf Arrives and Attack on Weathertop). The only thing now is to find out if any of the minor characters in the sets have names, the piece count for An Unexpected Gathering and Barrel Escape, and the price for sure for An Unexpected Gathering.

Edited by Deathleech

I did the same thing deskp did, except to the gray warg to give it a darker gray/black mane and some yellow eyes. Sorry it's a bit sloppy, I rushed it but you get the idea. I still think the brown one deskp did looks the best, but i think having a colored mane regardless of the warg color also helps break up the monotone color on the head/body and give it a little flare:

WargwithMane.jpg

Edited by Deathleech

I did the same thing deskp did, except to the gray warg to give it a darker gray/black mane and some yellow eyes. Sorry it's a bit sloppy, I rushed it but you get the idea. I still think the brown one deskp did looks the best, but i think having a colored mane regardless of the warg color also helps break up the monotone color on the head/body and give it a little flare:

WargwithMane.jpg

Looks like ed the hyena from the lion king lol :laugh:

That gray mod looks like the hyenas from Lion King.

oops, I'm not alone hehe.

Did anyone notice those brown dishes 4x4? They didn't exist in brown although I have a bunch in old brown (maybe some designer leftovers?!)

Does anyone know if the Wargs jaws move, only the white one has its mouth open whereas the grey one appears to be closed. So either they are moveable or they are two different warg models?

Does anyone know if the Wargs jaws move, only the white one has its mouth open whereas the grey one appears to be closed. So either they are moveable or they are two different warg models?

They are DEFINITELY moveable. Here you can see the gray warg with it's mouth open, and the higne on it's jaw (their heads can move up and down as well):

8076916039_f12353922d.jpg

Edited by Deathleech

Big thanks deskp for uploading alll this images,and gota admit see closer the sets pictures thorins look excactly as I expected him because when I saw the hobbit teaser from the board game manual I was disapointed but now my fears are gone thorins looks awsome and as all the dwarfs,lego did an amazing job design the sets,and as I did with the LOTR wave I'm planing to buy all the sets from the hobbit wave I'm just hoping that I'll have engouh money for the 2013 sets.

2013? These are out by December 1st! I would guess we'll see them at TRU before mid November!

I suppose you are referring to the "other" sets due out after December 31. Who would buy outside history though?

Darn it, I haven't even collected too many LoTR sets yet. My wallet is going to kill me. :cry_sad:

It's definitely movable. The joint looks very similar to the jaws of the raptors in the Dino theme.

2013? These are out by December 1st! I would guess we'll see them at TRU before mid November!

I suppose you are referring to the "other" sets due out after December 31. Who would buy outside history though?

Actually I'm talking about the new themes like TMNT that are coming this january.I rarely buy whole waves but I'll try to get the TMNT just because I love em and because untill the next LOTR/HOBBIT wave I wont have something to buy. Edited by LOTR343

WargwithMane.jpg

That looks Awesome!!

Dale, the real question for you is if you added lights to the castle yet!

I agree- the torsos and hair pieces are excellent!

Off topic: No I have not. :blush: I am not planning to until the spring. Brickworld is the only show where the lights would even be seen. I have been building my next section for a show in December. I have also displayed 2 more times since BrickWorld. All of the work needed each time I display the monstosity that is Goldcrest has eaten up all of my LEGO time.

On topic: The change in the mane color makes all of the difference in the world! I might make a guess that the wargs body may be reused for other animals with short tails.

I wish instead of the dishes they made the 4x4 round plate in brown. That would be a great addition to the barrels set.

Hey guys,

@deskp would you repost your mod? For some reason my computer can't find the image.

And @Deathleech, your mod is so cool that I wish there were more colors for the wargs.

Well why not join in for the moding wargs.

Just imagine it with a better colored mouth and nose.

post-31960-0-54116300-1350074550_thumb.jpg

Edited by LegoLotRGuy

Any word on the "exclusive" hobbit minifigs from comic con? are they really exclusive?

Their is Exclusive figures at NYCC? if there are i have not heard anything on them

8076855548_b443a25b80.jpg

10 Bombur Overall a bit plain looking, His torso print is better than his fat-suit print.

Didn't know we had seen the torso print? Any chance someone can point me to it.