CorneliusMurdock

TMNT 2013

For someone who grew up TMNT this is really great news that our beloved Ninja Turtles will finally come in LEGO form! I think TLG did a very good job on the Turtles, they couldn't have been done better IMO. Having a separate head/shell piece makes sense for more customizable and flexible building, and since this is based on the new cartoon series the pupiled eyes and updated torso details are understandable. Though due to nostalgic reasons I miss the letters (M, D, R, L) on the Turtle's belts.

Can't wait to get some of these sets!

My little 6 year old brother is crazy excited for these sets, so I think TLG knew what they were doing with this theme! I think the figs look pretty good and will probably need to get my hands on Leo :sweet:

My best friend's younger sister pointed out the guy with the silver helmet/paldrons and said he looks like somebody from LotR... thus said, I'm extremely hopeful for Easterling 'figs!

I've never really watched the show(s) or movie(s), but I do think the TMNT are pretty cool. I might pick one up, if there's a small enough one.

For someone who grew up TMNT this is really great news that our beloved Ninja Turtles will finally come in LEGO form! I think TLG did a very good job on the Turtles, they couldn't have been done better IMO. Having a separate head/shell piece makes sense for more customizable and flexible building, and since this is based on the new cartoon series the pupiled eyes and updated torso details are understandable. Though due to nostalgic reasons I miss the letters (M, D, R, L) on the Turtle's belts.

Can't wait to get some of these sets!

Wut?

I'm excited too but to say they couldn't have been done better is crazy. Their skin tones are off, Mike's and Don's weapons kind of suck, I don't mind the pupils but in the new show they don't have pupils when in battle (weird) so it could have gone either way. I agree that the shells are better separated though. Also, the arms need printing!!!

I've said that all before, but the point is... they could be a lot better.

Wut?

I'm excited too but to say they couldn't have been done better is crazy. Their skin tones are off, Mike's and Don's weapons kind of suck, I don't mind the pupils but in the new show they don't have pupils when in battle (weird) so it could have gone either way. I agree that the shells are better separated though. Also, the arms need printing!!!

I've said that all before, but the point is... they could be a lot better.

Call my POV "crazy" all you want but that is my personal opinion and I don't shove my viewpoint to change other people's opinions. I feel doing "more" to the figs like arm prints would deviate too much from the simplistic LEGO look and approach the high detailing of action figures, so I like the way the Turtles are currently designed - with just the proper amount of detailing - not lacking but not too much either. The weapons you're referring to can be easily modded if you don't like them.

Again, that's just my personal opinion no need to react too much on it if you don't agree on it. :wink:

The nine year old me is screaming for joy. And the figures look fantastic. Here's hoping we get a Casey Jones figure in the future. Although the Shellraiser doesn't hold a candle to LegoJalex's Party Wagon, which is one of the best small-scale MOCs I have ever seen.

Yeah I'm probably getting them all too...

It'll be hard as heck to build bigger better versions of things like this van for those of us with modest collections. The needed colors are so unusual. I might have to buy multiples of a set just to pull it off.

I am assuming that we don't have any definite prices on these sets, with the exception of the Shellraiser?

The set doesn't excite me so much, but I love Shredder!

I'm not familiar with the wolf creature, but I don't find him appealing as a figure..

The turtles are alright but I would have liked the old ones better with white eyes

The black exclusive turtle looks awesome though!

I feel doing "more" to the figs like arm prints would deviate too much from the simplistic LEGO look and approach the high detailing of action figures, so I like the way the Turtles are currently designed - with just the proper amount of detailing - not lacking but not too much either. The weapons you're referring to can be easily modded if you don't like them.
Dude, I totally agree.

And, personally, I'm surprised we got as much unique character detail as we did. I was expecting a uniform chest print for all four turtles. I didn't expect Raph to have the chip in his shell or Don and Leo to each have their unique shoulder straps.

I'm also betting that buying all four sets gives you at least two complete sets of Turtles - with eyes and without. Since in the show they switch between them and Lego probably wants to include at least one Turtle in every set.

My one wish is I hope we see a Kraang more similar to the Star Wars droids instead of the minifigure version before it's all over with. Otherwise I could not be happier with these figs so far.

Edited by Hobbestimus

Woah. I thought this was a baseless rumour until I heard of the new animated series.

I'm not quite sure what to think of these. The Turtles are nice, at any rate. I'm not a fan of the cartoony style and it's a shame they didn't go with different shades of green, but it's a nice start.

Edited by Delta 38

Wow this took me off guard, grew up watching these guys and was quite adapt at drawing them on paper, can't say much about the TMNT lego release except cant afford to squeeze in another theme on top of what I am already buying, might have to get the OG figs just for the nostalgic effect

I saw the first three episodes of the new cartoon and I really liked it. So I hope the Lego line will be sucessful with the kids. I think the turtles minifigures are well done. The headprints are nice. The arms look a little naked without any printings.

What I don't like is the design of the new turtles van. That thing is really ugly. Like many other fans, I would love to collect the 4 turtles minifigures, Shredder and maybe a few foot soldiers. But I'm sure I would have to spend at least €100 for 2 or 3 different sets to get at least the 4 turtles. Not sure about that. I hope some of the other sets will be better. I wouldn't buy this one for $60 because of the ugly vehicles.

Edited by Blacktron

TMNT is clearly the gateway vehicle to take disaffected Ninjago fans into Chima.

So much so that I'm expecting the last episode of the Ninjago series to have the four core Ninjas start to turn green before the credits.

Tohst -Don(atello)niing his tinfoil hat

I wish TLG gave Donatello a decent, purpose made weapon. What they have given him is simply Cheap! Although maybe harder to do, I also wish they were able to store their weapons on their back like the action figures I remember as a kid!

I agree they weapons could have been better, but with all the new molds in this first set we have seen I understand why they didn't. And for storage I think that would be really cool but I don't know how they could have pulled it off with out looking too bulky on such a small scale :sceptic:

For those wondering why the Krang minifig looks the way he does instead of like the 80s version...

The 80s cartoon was based off Eastman and Laird's original comic. In the comic, aliens called Utroms had robotic bodies and brains in their stomachs, and they were the original creators of the mutagen. For the wonderful 80s cartoon, they decided to just have one guy with a brain in his stomach, which was Krang. The 2003 series reintroduced the Utroms, and then one of the series key villains ended up being an Utrom. Now the 2012 series also has the Utroms, but they decided to call them the Kraang. Anyway, these guys are part of Turtles history, even if it's not the Krang character we grew up with in the 80s/90s.

I just noticed this on superhero hype and rushed over to see people's reactions to it. While Turtles doesn't interest me these days (I looooved them as a kid though), I still feel it's a great match-up that should satisfy lots and lots of kids. I actually think LEGO and Turtles are a better match than most licensed themes, and I'd be surprised if they don't sell well.

I agree. I think they will sell well just because of the cartoon and all the brightly colored Lego bricks the sets come with, which kids will surely eat up. As for us adults, I think this theme leaves a lot to be desired...

I feel doing "more" to the figs like arm prints would deviate too much from the simplistic LEGO look and approach the high detailing of action figures, so I like the way the Turtles are currently designed - with just the proper amount of detailing - not lacking but not too much either. The weapons you're referring to can be easily modded if you don't like them.

I just find it weird they have so much detailing on certain parts of the turtles (chipped shell on Ralph's torso, freckles on Mike's face, etc.), then they totally neglected other things like the elbow bands and different turtle coloring. I mean heck, even Leo and Don's shells have the shoulder strap extending to the back on their shell.

Overall I feel like this line leaves a LOT to be desired for older fans. I absolutely hate the turtle van design, it looks like something from Mega bloks or something I would of made when I was 8.. just cheap and thrown together (I know the van is suppose to look pieced together, but there is a difference between looking like it was made with salvaged parts and looking like someone just threw on random pieces for no apparent reason). The figures also leave a lot to be desired and, as someone mentioned, I wish they would of just had a head mold that was connected to their shells rather than a separate shell "cape". This would of made their necks less intruding. The Splinter figure is by far the worse in my opinion though. He looks like a mix between an old woman, a chinese dragon, and a horse. I loved the tv show in the 80s and had tons of the action figures, but I don't see myself picking up a single one of these new Lego sets. Compared to say the LotR minifigures these just leave too much to be desired and I can defiantly tell they are aimed more at small children than AFOLs.

As someone who grew up with the original series, let me say, fans of the old series should check out the new show these are based on - it pays a lot of great, great homage (Splinter being a human-mutated-to-rat form instead of a rat-mutated-to-human, updated theme song) and you just might enjoy some of the changes. I'm a fan.

I always wanted a Shredder minifig, his helmet, his shoulder armour and his cape are going to be mighty useful for some cool stuff

Otherwise, I can't say I'm interested about the theme.

As someone who grew up with the original series, let me say, fans of the old series should check out the new show these are based on - it pays a lot of great, great homage (Splinter being a human-mutated-to-rat form instead of a rat-mutated-to-human, updated theme song) and you just might enjoy some of the changes. I'm a fan.

I can agree to this - the new show is very enjoyable. (Speaking as someone who used to watch the original show every morning before school as well.)

And as far as the Krang, I too was expecting/hoping for something like Star Wars droids. They wouldn't be a good representation of the 'skinned/human' version of the robots, but all in all a droid with a mini removable frog-sized Krang would have been perfect. I guess that's why we mod, though! I'm really liking most of this line so far!

Agreed. I love my 80s cartoon and toys, but this cartoon pays a lot of respect to previous versions.