wonkyeye

LOTR & The Hobbit 2012

"I liket he small spiders, you can't make shelob quality spdiers at this scale.

What do you mean by first hobbit set pictures? bag end?

___

" -@deskp

I mean those pictures of every set of the hobbit wave. I think that the pictures are kind of blurry? I might be wrong.

I think they were in a catalog or came with a set or something. I can't remember. Does this help?

this poster I believe?

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8458/8058503581_d38e4afa5c.jpg

The good pictures are here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47575695@N02/sets/72157631744747163/with/8076866731/

I just can't wait to tomorrow to finally be fix on all the details around The Hobbit sets at NYCC, but as many of us want to see more of TLODR we will certainly have to wait to the Toy con in January. But with the game release we will have the fun to see more contents on that crazy universe.

To return to the Hobbit sets, I really like all the dwarves, I think Lego have made a good move on this. How much can we expect to buy a complete company (13 dwarves, Bilbo and Gandalf)? That's an interesting question.

For have read the book more than one time I have a strange feeling and don't know what to think about that Orc king...

Anyway, I will wait till December 1 to buy them!

If only someone have an answer to my question (up in the message) it would help us.

To return to the Hobbit sets, I really like all the dwarves, I think Lego have made a good move on this. How much can we expect to buy a complete company (13 dwarves, Bilbo and Gandalf)? That's an interesting question.

If only someone have an answer to my question (up in the message) it would help us.

Like I mentioned before, it's $290 for the entire collection - unless you don't need Gollum. But having 2 facial expressions for him is too great to miss, he's awesome. :wub:

Just noticed - does anyone think Thorin's/Fili's/Kili's hair in dark bluish gray would be a perfect fit for Denethor?

Edited by CallMePie

I'm a bit slow to comment on these because of the whole downtime, but anyway...

The minifigures are clearly the focus here. The rest is nice, but it's too bad there's no battlepack-style set you can army build with.

Maybe the Barrel Escape set could be a bit larger, too. It looks like it might be an interesting building, whatever it is, but there's not much of it.

Thanks for all the help @deskp. I'm so excited for the new sets!

Do you know by chance what page that poster first was shown on?

Thanks again!

It was someone on reddit

Well on Game stop/EB Games it did

Well all the diferent stores had diferent dates they had made up, the game people have always just say fall.

Thanks for the pics, deskp!

Fili looks so much better than I had expected from the blurry pics! He's now right up there with Bifur and Balin as the best adaptations in my mind. Now, I hope for a close up of Balin with his alternate (smiling) face to update my avatar.

Edit: Never mind. Found it via google. I had completely forgotten that somebody had posted about the update on the official LEGO site. Now we have Bilbo, Fili and Balin. Anybody else wants to join Thorin and Company in avatars? :wink: So excited about that movie!

I don't know if everybody is aware of it, but there's a massive update on thehobbit.lego.com !

It is now set out in the same style as the Lord of the Rings with map and detailed set description (so far, only one set up). It has a designer video, scenery and action photos as well a section about the characters, including CGI images. Balin's mace is represented as a sword in LEGO. I'm ok with that since it looks reasonable sword-ish and there's no way to make a new model for a weapon of a secondary character. Bombur's CGI looks great with more LEGO food than I've ever seen in one place. :laugh:

Edited by Lynx

I hope we'll get a brown/dark & black warg before lotr/hobbit lego is over.

They look enough like old and new wargs imo. Will be interesting to see if the video game uses this mold.

8079256965_977aa8a7ec_z.jpg

I hope we'll get a brown/dark & black warg before lotr/hobbit lego is over.

They look enough like old and new wargs imo. Will be interesting to see if the video game uses this mold.

I'd already be happy to see more grey wargs to have a good leader (white warg) to soldiers ratio.

Speaking of the video game, for everybody in Australia:

JB Hifi Preorder Bonus: The One Ring (physical bonus), Character Pack with Corsair, Mini-Balrog, Glorfindel, two hobbits (digital bonus)

EB Games Preorder: Elrond Minifigure (physical bonus), DLC characters (digital bonus)

JB is 10 bucks cheaper, but I preordered at EB who said they'd match the price.

Couldn't resist some photoshopping. LOTR warg variant.

33kvwx1.png

Edited by deskp

Couldn't resist some photoshopping.

33kvwx1.png

Excellent. Love the different colour of the mane and forehead printing. Yellow eyes also look fitting. It's better than the original.

Here's a link to the designer video of An Unexpected Gathering. The sketch model of Bag End is shown in it, so I can recommend watching it.

Just noticed - does anyone think Thorin's/Fili's/Kili's hair in dark bluish gray would be a perfect fit for Denethor?

Yeah for sure. The style would even be perfect for Gandalf the Grey, though I don't think the piece will be compatable with the beard. Fili's could work well on Eomer.

I just realized that we haven't seen any sets from the white council or any other parts of the movie that PJ is putting in in addition to the main story line of the book (such as Radagast, and Dol Goldur). I bet they asked TLG to save those sets until after the movie came out to keep those elements of the movie a suprise. I for one am glad these sets didnt really spoil anything.

On a side note: Wow deskp that warg is AMAZING! *oh2* Imagine an army of 15 or 20 orcs riding in on those wargs :wub_drool:

I just realized that we haven't seen any sets from the white council or any other parts of the movie that PJ is putting in in addition to the main story line of the book (such as Radagast, and Dol Goldur). I bet they asked TLG to save those sets until after the movie came out to keep those elements of the movie a suprise. I for one am glad these sets didnt really spoil anything.

On a side note: Wow deskp that warg is AMAZING! *oh2* Imagine an army of 15 or 20 orcs riding in on those wargs :wub_drool:

I think the reasons for lack of white council stuff is because lego wanted to make sets that could include all 13 dwarves.

33kvwx1.png

That looks very good! You seem to be an expert at the use of Photoshop.

I'm hoping they'll use this for actual TTT Wargs.

33kvwx1.png

Woow Deskp that is an excellent Warg! Would prefer that one to the original LEGO versions...

That clip has some great pictures. The Goblin King looks hilarious with his little mouth and huge fat quadruple chin.

And I also love all the action they are showing! We have surpassed simple flick-fire missiles and have moved onto flick-fire FIRE and more flick-fire spiders! Yes, score!

I was wondering on what page the first Hobbit set pictures are on, since I've looked and I can't find them. Can anyone help me?

Your friendly regulator adds the "main" pictures to the first post in the thread.

Mind you it never had an official release date :wink:

Here in the U.S. every store had it listed for pre-order with an expected release date of October 30th. Now most have it as Nov 14, but some sites haven't seemed to of updated their listing and still have it as Oct 30.

Also, WOW. Just wow :drool:. I love those wargs! But...I feel like TLG could have done a lot better on the Mirkwood spiders :sceptic: . I mean, just look at Shelob!

I just wish they had one more joint in their legs for more movement. It wouldn't of made them much bigger and would of only required 8 more pieces total in the set yet would of doubled or tripled the range of movement for the spiders and not made them look so blocky and stiff. All well, it's a simple fix you can do yourself so not a big deal.

I just can't wait to tomorrow to finally be fix on all the details around The Hobbit sets at NYCC, but as many of us want to see more of TLODR we will certainly have to wait to the Toy con in January. But with the game release we will have the fun to see more contents on that crazy universe.

I believe the press release said they were only showing off 2 of the Lego Hobbit sets at NYCC. I doubt we will get a ton of new details, if any, now that so much other info has hit over the past few days. As for the price to buy the complete dwarf company, CallMePie is right, it's around 290 USD. This is if you skip the Riddles for the Ring set which is the only one to not include any dwarves. I am sure you can also pick them up for 20% off if you wait a bit and look for deals which would bring the total down to $250 or so after taxes. Of course the cheapest option would be to just buy the minifigures each individially from eBay or Bricklink, you could probably save $100-150 that way.

The minifigures are clearly the focus here. The rest is nice, but it's too bad there's no battlepack-style set you can army build with.

Maybe the Barrel Escape set could be a bit larger, too. It looks like it might be an interesting building, whatever it is, but there's not much of it.

I just posted about a LotR/Hobbit battle pack in another thread. I can only imagine how big of a hit it would be considering how many Uruk-Hai Army sets people seem to be buying. That set's not even a real battle pack and is pretty pricey yet people are buying multiples and in some cases dozens. Why not replace Gandalf Arrives or Riddles in the Dark with a proper battle pack? Sure kids might not get a cheap option for main characters.. but with all the adults that would buy 20+ of them instead of only buying 1 Gandalf Arrives/Riddles set I think it would even out. As for the Barrel Escape set I think it's size is totally fine since the rest of the keep is hardly even mentioned in the book, and really only the jail and cellars are the focal point of all the action in that scene.

Excellent. Love the different colour of the mane and forehead printing. Yellow eyes also look fitting. It's better than the original.

Very nice! It makes me wonder how much better the real things would work if they had different color manes..? The brown also seems a little more pleasing than the boring gray and white we got (yes, I know the albino one is to represent the leader). Makes me wish we would of got 3 or even 4 Wargs... the two we already got and a brown and black one.

If the timeline is anything like in the movies, the White Council doesn't meet until the middle/end of the book when the dwarves head into Mirkwood. That would mean the scene would probably take place during the second movie most likely.

Edited by Deathleech

Wargs, Spiders, Barrels, Bagend.............................Goblin Town..............................................Riddles.

Lego is keeping the bar high for the most part with this new wave. Would have rather had a brown Warg like deskp has so excellently done and the grey one. Then have the white one in a later wave. It doesn't really lend itself to Warg cavalry building and I wish LEGO would make more substantial branches for its trees, cause apart from the new leaf colour that tree is just plain awful. Still not over no eagle in the set....

The Spiders pack however looks really good. Fili :thumbup: Kili :thumbdown:. I still wish that LEGO could have somehow moulded Legolas' hair piece so that you could still fit a quiver of arrows over his shoulder. Working on a mod to get both it and dark green capes onto both of the elves. Love the spiders and the red tree leaves get a big tick. As Derfel stated the price for genuine red leaves is going to be huge. Love the mushrooms as well.

Barrels....new elves!!! :wub_drool: Torsos, legs, two different shades of brown, elf swords, axes, two dwarves, the glasses and bottles not a bad set at all...interested in the price for Oz thou.

Bagend is awesome and can be tricked out to make an even better MOC. Great figs and lots of misc pieces that will be great down the track.

Goblin Town is this waves Moria. Hope it is around the same price. Some good building pieces, don't think I will be keeping built as a set for long.

Riddles to me is a real meh set. Two characters that most will get one of and that's it. Get some rock pieces and another One Ring and Sting. Got most of these with Shelob.

On the whole 13 dwarves...I love each of their torsos...still wish they had moveable short legs....build a bridge...and on the whole their faces and hair pieces are pretty close. Faves are Fili, Nori and Bofur. Will be able to make a really good faction of fleshie dwarves to go with my reg faction of dwarves.

Order of purchases mapped out...still need Weathertop to complete my Fellowship and a Helms Deep as well....sigh....Lego account looking very empty at the mo...time to think about that kidney to India again..

33kvwx1.png

Great work on the recolor! It reminds me a lot of the hyenas from Lion King. It would have been nice to get the wargs in brown and I wish they had given them pupils (but maybe that would look too "cute"?).