Rick

2013 City Sets - Rumours and Discussion

The only thing I can get excited about with these is the ladder on the fire trucks. I think 60002 is probably it for me.

Looks like I won't need to shell out much for LEGO in 2013... none of these sets interest me. I do like the painting in the museum set, but nothing else. Looks like I can go back and get the garbage truck and robber's hideout. Friends and City are my main two themes, so good thing I like the Friends sets!

Question....has anyone done a female minifig head count yet ?

Edit - Ouch.....2 female minifigs....lets hope there are some in the Great Vehicles sets.....I think there is a female with the flat bed truck. Gee, this year was better for females at the beginning that is and Lego hasn't learnt their lesson yet that girls buy city as well ! :hmpf_bad:

Edited by lightningtiger

No they don't silly, girls all flock to buy Friends. City isn't for girls it's for boys and friends is for girls because it's girly and pink and has hairstyles and cute fluffy aminals. Because that's all any girl would ever want EVER! And all boys want is the same sets regurgitated every single year ad nauseum. Nothing but a sea of red bricks and firemen forever. YAAAAAAAAYYYyyyyyyy..........

:facepalm:

Edited by Jargo

No they don't silly, girls all flock to buy Friends. City isn't for girls it's for boys and friends is for girls because it's girly and pink and has hairstyles and cute fluffy aminals. Because that's all any girl would ever want EVER! And all boys want is the same sets regurgitated every single year ad nauseum. Nothing but a sea of red bricks and firemen forever. YAAAAAAAAYYYyyyyyyy..........

Yep, when will they learn but maybe mid-year releases might be different. :tongue:

Besides, the 60002 fire truck is the most impressive and realistic fire truck Lego has tried to do.....and by all appearances 2013 is the year of the DSS - look carefully at each set ! :laugh:

I think next year sets are really cool, mostly because of the new figures. I'll be picking up most of the $13 and under sets, along with the Burning House set and the Museum set.

Really like the Police Chase set, the big SUV and the red sports car are lovely. Rest of the sets aren't all that exciting, the museum was a bit of a wasted opportunity - would have liked more museum and less vehicles. I came out of my dark age a couple of years ago and can see why many are not excited by yet more police and fire vehicles, although the burning house set is probably the pick of the bunch.

After looking at the pictures i have changed my mind. This round of fire has exceeded my expectations it reminds me of some of the fire staions built in the 60's and 70's in the U.S . Good thing i only have the fire brigade so far.

Saw the pictures and I think they're good but not overwhelmingly great. The ladder mech looks <insert that tiresome argument> which is annoying. Rescue set, I agree looks like it could've been better and the museum is OK but not too exciting. However the police sets are nice in the inclusion of DARK blue parts!!! Especially the windscreen in 60007. Now I can do beautiful CSX train engines with safety cabs.

There are some nice vehicles in the sets but too bad it's another wave of police and fire fighter.

The van in set 60008 reminds me of the one used by the A-Team :p

The van in set 60008 reminds me of the one used by the A-Team :p

I also immediately thought to that one :)

the museum was a bit of a wasted opportunity - would have liked more museum and less vehicles... the burning house set is probably the pick of the bunch.

I whole-hartedly agree! Would love to see some pictures of the cement mixer and flatbed truck.

I personally like the smallest police set and the tan in the museum is nice too (plus a light up brick). Other than that. . . I'm not interested in Fire.

Oh, 60007 is going to be mine! Is it just me or Lego has come up with some kick-megablocks SUV designs in the last few years? First the Willis MB in the Fire Plane set, then the Land Rover Defender in the Bike Racing set, now the South African Bomb-Proof Jeep in 60007? Amazing!

Question....has anyone done a female minifig head count yet ?

Edit - Ouch.....2 female minifigs....lets hope there are some in the Great Vehicles sets.....I think there is a female with the flat bed truck. Gee, this year was better for females at the beginning that is and Lego hasn't learnt their lesson yet that girls buy city as well ! :hmpf_bad:

I count at least three: a civilian in 60001, a firefighter in 60003, and a firefighter in 60004. And keep in mind we haven't even SEEN the Great Vehicles sets yet, and those had some of the most balanced gender ratios of all this year. If we look at all of the 2012 sets which we first found pictures of, ignoring the Great Vehicles sets as well as store exclusives, which were revealed later, we find a grand total of two female minifigures. So in that respect next year's sets are already showing a better gender ratio than this year's sets would have if the same sets were revealed!

Yep, because karate and soccer are totally about hairstyling and fluffy animals. :hmpf: As much as I agree that LEGO City did a great job last year by including lots of female figs and I'd like that to continue, LEGO Friends isn't half as stereotypical as some people make it out to be. Yes, it includes a lot of things that girls like, just as LEGO City has always included a lot of things boys like. Neither theme, however, is saying that only traditional gendered interests appeal to boys or girls. Rather, they're just including content to which the majority of kids within the theme's target demographic reacts favorably, and that includes "traditional" gendered interests as well as some things that break from tradition.

Edited by Aanchir

That motor brick is awesome! It'll have to be the new micromotor. I just hope it can work in both directions.

Dont get too excited, its most probably just well known wind-up motor, which you can release with a push of the button

Now sadly I can believe that 60003 has a female in it, why sadly....the images show the guys doing the dangerous fire fighting work not the female....point proved again about Lego's opinion about gender being equal or in this case not... :hmpf_bad:

You can really get this discussion over the point. In Horizon Express it's her driving the train.

Now sadly I can believe that 60003 has a female in it, why sadly....the images show the guys doing the dangerous fire fighting work not the female....point proved again about Lego's opinion about gender being equal or in this case not... :hmpf_bad:

I don't for a minute think that packaging and promotional images should be taken as solid evidence for TLG's attitudes as a company. In Ninjago's biggest set for this year, the elderly Spinjitzu master Sensei Wu is used as a captive inside a prison. This probably isn't meant to show that TLG thinks old people are helpless, but rather because in a theme about Ninja the Ninja themselves should be presented front-and-center.

Besides, in the two images where we can see the female firefighter most clearly, she is alternately using either an axe or a circular saw to get inside the burning building, which strikes me as a lot more hazardous than putting out a flaming barrel with a fire extinguisher.

There may be a bit of a double-standard in play here, but it's about marketing, not about TLG's perceptions. Namely, a lot of boys in LEGO City's target demographic don't really like girls, so TLG doesn't try to draw too much attention to them. Probably related to why in BIONICLE and Hero Factory the female characters rarely look too outwardly feminine unless you already know they're female-- female action figures traditionally sell poorly compared to male ones, so TLG tries not to draw attention to the gender of the characters.

It was in the Coast Guard helicopter, so it's been around for a while.

Ah, okay, Thank you. This part is also in some Creator sets (4995, 5893). So it's really just a wind-up motor. But not bad nevertheless. Did not know the part so far. I wonder if it will be in the truck as well.

Er, if that's girl.....she needs a shave big time ! :rofl:

The image of the fire fighter with the axe....to break a glass door :look:....has a 5 o'clock shadow on it's face. :wink:

Edit - oh, I see the box art.....a saw going no where and who's to say that barrel isn't going to go boom ! :rofl:

The real pity is no females in the new police sets ! *oh2*

Edited by lightningtiger