wonkyeye

LOTR & The Hobbit 2012

Here is all the new Hobbit set images uploaded to my flickr:

Sadly missing main image for Warg Attack.

Where did you find all these pictures at anyways?

Is anyone else pissed that they re-used the mordor orcs?

Not really. They at least changed the orcs up a little with the different leg print, and gave both of them the hair/ear pieces this time (though they didn't give the leader in the set one... :sceptic: ). They also have totally new orcs in the Goblin King set (and three of them at that), so I can't complain too much. Actually I am glad we are getting such a huge variety, while still keeping some similar as this will make my Mordor Orc/Goblin army much better looking. Right now I have the Moria Orcs, a couple slightly different Mordor Orc variations, and the Goblin King set Orcs. The Mordor Orcs haven't been used much either yet so I am fine with them using them again. A little old, a little new this time around. What would of ticked me off is had they used the Mordor Orcs for both Hobbit sets and not changed them at all.

What DOES annoy me is all the orcs seem to be the tannish brown color rather than green.

Edited by Deathleech

I'm also a little bleh on the goblin head molds.. and whoever that lead goblin orc guy is on the white warg just looks awful. The goblin king is great, but it would b cooler if he could sit on his own throne.

Not sure what you tried to quote me on, I like the goblins and their heads. Warg rider Yazneg looks apropriatley good/bad in my opinion. (should look better without the neck decor thing.)

The goblin king can sit on his throne.. well stand but it looks good enough.

Not really. They at least changed the orcs up a little with the different leg print, and gave both of them the hair/ear pieces this time (though they didn't give the leader in the set one... :sceptic: ). They also have totally new orcs in the Goblin King set (and three of them at that), so I can't complain too much. Actually I am glad we are getting such a huge variety, while still keeping some similar as this will make my Mordor Orc/Goblin army much better looking. Right now I have the Moria Orcs, a couple slightly different Mordor Orc variations, and the Goblin King set Orcs. The Mordor Orcs haven't been used much either yet so I am fine with them using them again. A little old, a little new this time around. What would of ticked me off is had they used the Mordor Orcs for both Hobbit sets and not changed them at all.

What DOES annoy me is all the orcs seem to be the tannish brown color rather than green.

The orcs are the proper color to their movie counterpart. and that the "leader" didnt get a hair/ear piece is because the characther doesent have hair and ears like that. you seem to not care about the characther looking like the movies. not all orcs have long ears and hair dude.....

The Moria orcs are the only with any sort of consistensy where all are green-ish in the movies.

Edited by deskp

According to fbtb, an exclusive minifig is going to be given away at NYCC... I really hope it's nothing special as these figs are nearly impossible to acquire :sceptic:

LEGO The Hobbit™

Following the first set reveal of the LEGO The Hobbit™ collection at San Diego Comic-Con, LEGO Systems will debut more LEGO stops on the “unexpected journey”, showing fans two additional LEGO The Hobbit sets on Friday, October 12th in advance of the entire collection launching this December. An exclusive minifigure giveaway will take place Friday and Saturday at 4 p.m. Life-sized models of actors Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins and Sir Ian McKellen as Gandalf the Grey provide memorable photo ops, along with a contest and chance to sample the game play of LEGO Games: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey™, the new board game that launched on October 1. A Facebook contest surrounding the new game launched October 8. Like the brand at www.facebook.com/LEGOGames to learn more.

http://www.fbtb.net/2012/10/11/nycc-lego-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-license-announced/

The orcs are the proper color to their movie counterpart. and that the "leader" didnt get a hair/ear piece is because the characther doesent have hair and ears like that. you seem to not care about the characther looking like the movies. not all orcs have long ears and hair dude.....

The Moria orcs are the only with any sort of consistensy where all are green-ish in the movies.

I realize they are the proper color (for the most part). I am not knocking Lego for more or less just sticking to the source material, I am knocking PJ for changing the look of the goblins in the first place. Though I guess he probably just made the goblins more motley and random this time around like the orcs were in LotR. I acknowledged this and hence the vast majority of my post talking about how I liked the current orc/goblin designs. At least some of the goblins are a green color like before, but apparently none of them were used for the Lego sets this time around.. like this guy:

2629476.jpg.size-290_maxheight-290_square-true.jpg

As for Yazneg, I know he doesn't have or need any hair, as many orcs don't, but how can you say he doesn't have any ears when he clearly does? Maybe they aren't as long as some of the goblins/orcs (I realize they vary in length and some don't even have them), but they are DEFINITELY longer than any of the elves, and ALL the elves have the same ears in flesh color:

yazneg2.jpg

reg_634.Hobbit.TheBridge.Tauriel.jlc.10112.jpeg

I think, as is, Yazneg is one of the worst looking minifigies in the LotR or Hobbit line. If they had given him a head cap I think he would have looked significantly better.

Edited by Deathleech

If they had given him a head cap I think he would have looked significantly better.

Nah....bald characters have never had anything special other than a plain stud. I think it looks just fine that way.

The only minifig that does bother me is Ori. Ron Weasley's hair was a terrible choice there (overall the minifig doesn't look much like the character at all).

Edited by The_Chosen_1

Is anyone else pissed that they re-used the mordor orcs?

I'm quite happy with that - it will my orc army to grow! I'm not really a fan of the Goblins, so I'm happy that the Warg set includes some orcs.

Nah....bald characters have never had anything special other than a plain stud. I think it looks just fine that way.

What are you talking about? Plenty of bald characters have caps as long as there is something else on their head that needs to be represented. There are a couple Star Wars characters with them such as Saesee Tiin, and even a few characters in the very same Hobbit wave with the orcs in the Golbin King Battle set! I think they could of easily given Yazneg a cap since his ears are fairly big, much bigger than any of the elven ears yet they all have hair with large ears on them.

The only minifig that does bother me is Oin. Ron Weasley's hair was a terrible choice there (overall the minifig doesn't look much like the character at all).

You mean Ori... Oin is the one in the Barrel Escape set with Gloin, he has the light gray hair in a pony tail.. nothing like Ron Weasley's hair.

Edited by Deathleech

3 different prints for the goblins yet they couldn't refuse re-using the Mordor orcs? :laugh:

Oh well. Not happy to hear about an exclusive minifig,

especially not when considering that I wanted to get each and every of these figures from both The Hobbit and the LOTR lines, and the sets as well.

If not all sets, all figures would suffice... but I've got the feeling I won't be able to get this. :sceptic:

I really wish TLC would start using baseplates again. These "location" type sets feel so weirdly empty when there's no baseplate in which to ground the action and tie all the various bits together. They're just chunks of scenery floating in a white void.

What are you talking about? Plenty of bald characters have caps as long as there is something else on their head that needs to be represented. There are a couple Star Wars characters with them such as Saesee Tiin, and even a few characters in the very same Hobbit wave with the orcs in the Golbin King Battle set! I think they could of easily given Yazneg a cap since his ears are fairly big, much bigger than any of the elven ears yet they all have hair with large ears on them.

Well yes, of course characters like Saesee Tiin need a headpiece. There's a lot more detail there than just a bald head - same goes for the goblins (which have grotesquely-shaped heads). Keep in mind that one edition of the Mordor orc didn't have a headpiece, either, so historically Lego has never given a minifig a headpiece for ears alone.

You mean Ori... Oin is the one in the Barrel Escape set with Gloin, he has the light gray hair in a pony tail.. nothing like Ron Weasley's hair.

Thanks for the correction. I only ever seem to get those two confused, for some reason.

I really wish TLC would start using baseplates again. These "location" type sets feel so weirdly empty when there's no baseplate in which to ground the action and tie all the various bits together. They're just chunks of scenery floating in a white void.

I agree, baseplates would really pull the sets together. I imagine it's hard for Lego to recreate a majority of the sets though considering most take place in huge forests, valleys, caves, castles, or what have you. They only have a limited budget with each set and they have to fit a huge Goblin Town, for example, into a small-ish $100 package.

Well yes, of course characters like Saesee Tiin need a headpiece. There's a lot more detail there than just a bald head - same goes for the goblins (which have grotesquely-shaped heads). Keep in mind that one edition of the Mordor orc didn't have a headpiece, either, so historically Lego has never given a minifig a headpiece for ears alone.

Was that because he ONLY had long orc ears though, or because they were trying to portray one of the orcs that had very tiny, human sized ears?

Regardless I think Yazneg looks pretty poor for a minifigure and it seems many others agree. I am fine with a minifig being bald and having no cap, for instance Dwalin who I have no complaints about. If they didn't give Yaznegm ears maybe they could of at least made his cowl look better and made it extend down his shoulders/arms a bit, or gave him some printing on his arms to better match how he looks in the movie? All of the other figures look so good it's just a disappointment to see Yazneg.

Of all the dwarves I think Bifur really stands out as the best looking. Not only did Lego include the axe in his head, his bread has printing on it as well. This really makes me wonder why they didn't print the braids on Gloin, who doesn't look near as good in comparison. Oin looks like he probably could of just used a single color for his hair and beard rather than have them be two seperate colors (it looks like one color in deskp's photo). Some of the dwarves could of probably used beard molds, but I understand Lego deciding to cut some cost and just print them when the beards are relatively short and they already have a huge number of special pieces for the wave already.

Edited by Deathleech

Only 2 Dark Red Leaf pieces????? Great, I fear Bricklink prices will be extremely high till they start showing up in other sets. Damn it, need hundreds of these!!!!

Oh, and the sets are kinda cool too, lots of useful pieces and more olive green tree pieces!!!!!

All hail the tree pieces!!!!..........and the other useful parts.

I agree with you 100%, and I think this is one of the big reasons why I feel so many recent sets don't look like they justify their cost. The Mines of Moria would have killed if it was tied together on plates. Without them, it looks like bits and pieces, like film props waiting on a green screen set, not nearly worth the asking price. Same goes for several of these Hobbit sets.

I see we have a lot of people interested in the sets as movie accutate... Not me. I always look at sets as MOC part packs. How about the MOCers? What sets/parts do see as the best for MOC elements? I have my eye on Merkwood first, Warg second and Unexpected meeting third.

Let's here it MOCers!!

Edit: Ha! Looks like DC and I are on the same page... How 'bout the rest of you?

I see we have a lot of people interested in the sets as movie accutate... Not me. I always look at sets as MOC part packs. How about the MOCers? What sets/parts do see as the best for MOC elements? I have my eye on Merkwood first, Warg second and Unexpected meeting third.

Let's here it MOCers!!

Exactly, as always, LOTR provides great parts for moccers. The sets are never going to be movie accurate unless they release huge expensive sets where they have room to cram it all in.

I haven't touched my Lord of the Rings sets, tearing-them-apart-for-MOC-wise, but I know that when I do the parts will be very useful. Same case goes for these sets, nice variation and lots of brown/dark brown/dark tan. :thumbup:

Let's here it MOCers!!

Edit: Ha! Looks like DC and I are on the same page... How 'bout the rest of you?

I'm with you!

The 3 sets you listed are my top ones as well, maybe with the Warg set in number one though (more olive green leaves and Bifur :wub_drool: ). I also really want a bunch of those 1x2 olive green plates in the Goblin King set but I'm setting my hopes on LUGBULK for that. The Barrel Escape and Riddles in the Dark strikes me as the weakest sets in line. They do have good MOCing pieces too, but mostly just ordinary pieces that are easy to come by in other sets as well. I hope Gollum comes in a set worth getting in a later wave, or I'll probably bricklink him.

Even if I try to look at the sets in MOCer's POV I can't help but fall in love in all the great minifigs in this line. I don't care much for the baddies, one or two is enough for me, but the dwarves are awesome and more elves is never wrong. Still, I think the best is yet to come... :wink:

I'm in agreement with a few of the above posts on the sets being best for MOCers - Warg looks great! I do however seem to have developed a soft spot for the Goblin King set - it looks just like an LotR set should be! All the sets are, to be honest, great, and I think we have been very lucky - and Lego have been very thoughtful - in that this is a line definitely with a focus on creating detailed, intricate sets - not just huge playsets. Can't wait for release.

Here is all the new Hobbit set images uploaded to my flickr:

Where did you get all these pictures? I ask because it looks like you took them off the official Lego pages that haven't been revealed yet by changing the end of the page url, but when I tried to do it nothing came up. I ask because I was wondering if any more information was available where you got them? The elf names in the Barrel Escape set, the orc name(s?) in the Goblin King Battle, etc. Maybe even confirmation of prices or something? In the link I posted it list some of the names, the piece count, and the price of each set:

www.groovebricks.com/lego-hobbit-2013-set-images/

It looks like the Goblin King Battle comes with a figure named "Scribe", who I have heard nothing about until now and i can only assume is the shorter of the goblins.

Edited by Deathleech

Slow your roll DearhLeech! All will be revealed over the next weeks.

I agree with Etzel... I think LEGO might have more up sleeves.

Etzel- do you know the language of the thrush-bird? Is it telling you secrets?

Hmm...Mirkwood's rather expensive, but I'm pleasantly surprised to see Goblin Town is only $100.

Let's here it MOCers!!

Agreed! I only buy sets as parts packs so my top 3 match yours though I also agree with Etzel that the figs are fantastic :thumbup:

Slow your roll DearhLeech! All will be revealed over the next weeks.

Too true, but he has the pictures now so I am just wondering where he found them all at...

I think your guess as to where the pics may have come from... A LEGO site by amending the URL might be correct, however, we should stick to discussing the sets, the movies and the pieces and not how to burrow deepet into other sites in this thread.

Movie accuracy only matters to me when it comes to the minifigures.

Other than that, I've been considering ending up using most of my LOTR set parts for MOCs of my own, I prefer that - while it is also nice to have all those figures as a LOTR fan.

Either way, this new stuff looks great and I like to see more leaf pieces in sets.

Edited by General Magma