Ondra

Lego technic challenge 2012

I just finished my chassis with with four L motors, 4 wheel steering and 4 link suspension! just gotta buy couple more parts and tweak it to be perfect! Its a monster!! even if its not within rules its still greatdefault_classic.gif

I finished my submission a few minutes ago:

I'm just kidding of course :tongue:

LOL.. That is freaking awesome... :thumbup: :thumbup:

So this new challenge is to create a new body style for the crawler..? Isn't that what is was supposed to be from back when the Crawler was originally announced...? I do remember something being said like last year that there was going to be a contest this fall for an alternate body for the Crawler... This makes sense as I can't see Lego compromising the chassis that they currently have built with one that has imperfections...

Wait, you guys are already building. I don't build mocs but when did the rules go out? I haven't seen them. :look:

Edited by sama

LOL.. That is freaking awesome... :thumbup: :thumbup:

So this new challenge is to create a new body style for the crawler..? Isn't that what is was supposed to be from back when the Crawler was originally announced...? I do remember something being said like last year that there was going to be a contest this fall for an alternate body for the Crawler... This makes sense as I can't see Lego compromising the chassis that they currently have built with one that has imperfections...

I remember something being said about that to. Didn't it come from the rep who was showing it off at a toy fair?

Wait, you guys are already building. I don't build mocs but when did the rules go out? I haven't seen them. :look:

They have not come out yet. People are just sketching ideas for when they do come out.

I have a chassis designed that seems to work well. But when I put the wheels and tires on from the 4x4 crawler, they look silly because they're too small. Are the 62mm x 46mm power puller tires the biggest available? They're somewhat expensive and I'm hoping to find a more affordable set of wheels and tires. I haven't been able to find anything else on Bricklink though.

power pullers are the biggest tires from lego. it has it reasons why iam using sometimes third party tires. but for the contest this is not an option

7774907134_e13b847957.jpg

7766065452_177054e8ee.jpg

100_9547 von efferman auf Flickr

so you must live with this limitation for the contest

The Lego Technic Challenge poster says "Starting in October" -- there's no indication whether it will start on Monday, October 1st or not. Monitor the Technic.Lego.com website every day in October to get an early jump! :grin:

download1618d94433c059d69c02429f5448f687.png

Edited by DLuders

I just finished my prototype a few minutes ago. I realize I don't know what the rules are yet, but it can't hurt to start designing now. I learned quite a bit, in fact. The biggest thing I figured out is my experimental suspension design is a giant failure, haha... and there's another issue with the steering. But other than that I'm happy with the body and hope to be able to carry a lot of it over for the final version.

could it be that the challenge is using a ldd file of the 9398 chassis to build a body for it? in case of this there would it be no need to own a 9398 to participate on the challenge.

@ efferman: I'm thinking that you may be right. As you may know, P4trickvH already made the 9398's A-Model LDD .lxf and B-Model .lxf files available for download. The newly-released LDD 4.3.5 contains almost all of the "missing" parts from his virtual models:

9398.png9398b.png

I think that Effe have right, but we must wait a couple off more days and than we no it. :classic:

What i don't hope that the contest is only a LDD design!!??

Edited by VFracingteam

The competition is official annonunced at the LEGO Fanweekend in Skærbæk this saturday eavning! The competition is about building a new top to the excisting crawler. Frist all LEGO members Can vote, then the LEGO Technic team pick ten models in top 100. Then we decide witch one to get into the produkt-Line. In the 2nd month next year, the winner is annonunced, and the set Will be for sale next summer.

The set will ve "Limited edition" and only for sale on shop@home.

Last day to enter the competition Will be 31th of december 23:59.

The LEGO technic website will be updated monday or thusday, with all detail about the competition.

Edited by martinnygaard

The competition is official annonunced at the LEGO Fanweekend in Skærbæk this saturday eavning! The competition is about building a new top to the excisting crawler. Frist all LEGO members Can vote, then the LEGO Technic team pick ten models in top 100. Then we decide witch one to get into the produkt-Line. In the 2nd month next year, the winner is annonunced, and the set Will be for sale next summer.

The LEGO technic website will be updated monday or thusday, with all detail about the competition.

So it really is just a body for an existing model? That seems like an odd thing. Has that every been done before? Not the competition, I mean, a set as an option or add-on for a previously released model? If they really want something like that, I think an attachment for the Unimog would be a much better competition. There are a million creative possibilities. I was really hoping to have an all new crawler design using the latest power functions. I really like Lego's crawler, but it's more of a generic offroad type of 4x4 pickup truck. Crawler, referring to a rock crawler, is not the correct term, the way I see it. Oh well... if it's true, I'll still participate. A couple months is plenty of time to come up with something. I wonder if multiple entries will be accepted..?

Agreed, the Unimog would make a much better subject for this type of competition IMO. I will restate my original comment; that is, use rare colors such as blue, white, and lime green as much as possible! Everybody wants more of those parts, so I feel any vehicle that incorporates at least two or more of these colors will have a very good chance of getting into the top ten!

EDIT: I went a little paint-can happy with my palette swap for the 9398:

DJAMG.png

I would buy another whole Crawler just to get these parts in these colors. Unfortunately, it's a body swap they want... so I changed my definition of 'body' to: "Any part of the vehicle that I want it to be!"

Edited by Phoxtane

Meh. In terms of functionality, wouldn't the best option be to not include a body shell at all? As for loading it with rare colours; I'm sure the designers thought about that the first time round.

Edited by VMLN8R

So then this "Challenge" IS exactly what was rumored/announced/hinted to many months ago...?

I am not surprised, Lego is not going to have to rework something(In their crawler chassis) just for some promotional build off....

Hopefully whomever wins this "Challenge" uses 19L Black Flexible axles somewhere on their vehicle's body... :wink:

And if a competitor dont have enough color details: so design is :thumbup: , but colour matching is :thumbdown: and it doesn't in top100.

Do TLG team have right to select such model for top10?

Now I'm pondering if I should unbox my 9398 or sell it off and wait for the special edition next year. After reading the possibilities I'm wondering if some changes will be done to its chassis or even a whole new tires for grip and balancing.