Sign in to follow this  
Superkalle

How is this brick used?

I was wondering about this brick in LDD

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=6542

In BL, there is also this variant without all the fine teeth (clutch function):

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=6542b

Apperantly both bricks share the same designID. Even the new, smooth one has 6542 as ID (if you look at the brick itself). So this seems to be a case of TLG themselves re-using the same DesignID even though the bricks are physically different.

My question: is there are reason to have the teethed version if LDD instead of the smooth one (if we could wish either of them). Do the fine teeth interlock with any other part in LDD. How was the fine teeth it used in real life?

I was wondering about this brick in LDD

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=6542

In BL, there is also this variant without all the fine teeth (clutch function):

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=6542b

Apperantly both bricks share the same designID. Even the new, smooth one has 6542 as ID (if you look at the brick itself). So this seems to be a case of TLG themselves re-using the same DesignID even though the bricks are physically different.

My question: is there are reason to have the teethed version if LDD instead of the smooth one (if we could wish either of them). Do the fine teeth interlock with any other part in LDD. How was the fine teeth it used in real life?

The one with teeth can interlock with this one or this one in real life.

However, they does not seem to exist in the LDD and are not being used in recent sets.

Edited by hrontos

The teeth can also lock with the technic plates 4263, 4262, 4442 and 2719, but I don't know if this has ever been used in sets or MOCs.

Edited by legolijntje

Maybe I'm just pointing at the obvious, but I only know how the teethed version is used in the Supercar set 8880 :wub: that I own. There they are used in a gearbox/clutch assembly without using the teeth at all. See the instructions here. I therefore also wonder if they've ever been used with teeth attached to another brick/item. Anyway, regardless of whether or not the teeth were being used, they lost use when all other simularly teethed items were discontinued (ten years ago?)....

There was some discussion on this in the Technic forum when the smoothed version was introduced. It seemed that official sets had never actually used the teeth (which were a type of connection phased out some time ago due to being prone to breakage) and had rarely if ever been of much use to MOCer's either. I'm not overly convinced there is actually a practical way of using the connection either, although it's occasional useful visually as a purely aesthetic feature.

The question came up because, since there is only one DesignID for both smooth/teethed, we can't have both versions in LDD (well, at least not that I understand), which means we have to chose either the smoothed or the teethed. Personally I'm leaning towards the smooth.

Personally I'm leaning towards the smooth.

I also would agree with you,I much prefer the new ones too.

Along with the increased strength the brick it also is 1mm smaller than the old one when meshed up which the older one.

Ps Has any one checked to see if the size difference show up on LDD?

Connect with technic rotor two blades can make two clock hands on the same axle.

8025283929_a2e03b9d72_n.jpg

KEvronista's Lego Clock (Featuring Arnfield Escapement) by Nachapon S., on Flickr

I think these new parts design by Barman76's are very good.

Barman76 said:

Parts for making a hollow shaft. A small modifications on the 16z Clutch gear, a new shaft and a part to hold/fix the shaft.

The propeller part is for making double rotor helicopter.

5304455098_e97d76b472.jpg

Shaft_system_parts by Barman76, on Flickr

5303862239_0e04e0780e.jpg

Shaft_system_propeller2 by Barman76, on Flickr

Edited by bbqqq

The question came up because, since there is only one DesignID for both smooth/teethed, we can't have both versions in LDD (well, at least not that I understand), which means we have to chose either the smoothed or the teethed. Personally I'm leaning towards the smooth.

Given the toothed version is already there, I'd probably lean towards sticking with that one. It also has the advantage that it can be used everywhere the newer version can, which isn't necessarily entirely true the other way around.

Personally I'm leaning towards the smooth.

I think the best version to maintain depends on which is more suitable inside the sets that uses the other version.

We can renounce to the functionality, but it would be very annoying if I can't insert the piece inside the model because of the modified design.

I think the best version to maintain depends on which is more suitable inside the sets that uses the other version.

We can renounce to the functionality, but it would be very annoying if I can't insert the piece inside the model because of the modified design.

They're physically interchangeable (indeed when the smooth version was introduced it was hit & miss which version you'd find in the box). The only time it makes a difference is if you're using the teeth. Or to be utterly pedantic, in reality, if you tried to place 2 toothed versions facing each other instead of two smoothed ones where the teeth might "accidentally" mesh. It's not really an issue in digital versions though, because they aren't going to accidentally slide together.