glenbricker

[MOC] SWTOR Corellian Defender

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Hello all,

I am very happy to find this active community here. It seems like there is a lot of interactivity here I look forward to being a part of it.

Here is a Corellian Defender I made for my friends at Bioware. Initially I designed it to not accept minifigs but instead be in scale with the statuette piece. Then the Fury came out (This actually happens to be in perfect scale with the Fury), and it has figs, so I decided to go ahead and integrate them.

The minifig integrated Defender is a little less authentic to the game, but I like it more actually. The red top to the cockpit should be Grey for instance but I like the asthetic better with the White/Red/White/Red.

thumb640x360.jpg

The above ship is totally build but I am using some color replacement to a variety of parts to look Dark Red.

thumb640x360.jpg

As you can see in the above image the whole cockpit canopy comes up...I was thinking of putting in some "hydraulics" here but I like the idea of supporting two figures more...so there is not any room for the hydraulics I was thinking of.

I am really proud of the sliding out mechanic used for the C2-N2 pod.

thumb640x360.jpg

Here are some of the custom figures I am designing to go with the Defender. the Trandoshan is Qyzen Fess, who is a companion to Jedi Consulars in SWTOR. The droid is C2-N2, and is the droid that comes with the ship.

The Satele stand in there is holding of the statuetee parts in case you are unfamiliar with them. I would love it if they produced these in trans blue for holograms.

thumb640x360.jpg

This design is meant to be visible form all angles, so I used a lot of SNOTTING. The ships is bisected down the middle and flipped. Its been a lot of fun.

I look forward to any feedback, good or bad.

If you really like it you can support it on Cuusoo right here

compair+small.jpg

This (rather poor) image shows the size of the Defender relative to the Official Fury.

thumb640x360.jpg

Here is one of the images I used as the source for my build presented to allow comparison.

8005231366_ae22fc7a0b_c.jpg

Thanks to KielDaMan for this side by side comparison image

The future:

Although I have minimal space to do it in I am going to attempt to make retractable landing gear and have the Cargo/Droid pods open indirectly...well will see what I can pull off.

For my next Star Wars project I am working on the Mantis.

Edited by Brickdoctor

Good ship! I like the look, but it does look a bit small...

The ship is sopposed to fit 8..

Edited by commander1

Good ship! I like the look, but it does look a bit small...

The ship is sopposed to fit 8..

Thanks a lot!

Not sure were you are getting 8 from though unless you mean the maximum crew you get in the game). The ship can fit way more than eight. The little dots on the landing pad in the image are people for the Actual scale of the ship. The Yellow ovoid on the front is actually a command screen where two sit side by side with room to spare.

I added a picture of the statuette figs to help showcase the "actual" scale vs Integrated minifigs.

This is built to Scale with the Statuette minifig. So a person would fit in a single 1 x 1 lego brick at this scale.

I went ahead and retrofit fit this in the transitional manner of Large Star Wars Ships though adding minifgs that would almost have have to be Zentradi. The Fury, the sister ship to this vessel, is actually produced by TLG in the same scale as this ship but they modified it for 3 "Giant" figures as well.

Edited by glenbricker

Very good ship :thumbup: :thumbup:

I'm already supporting this project. :wink: :wink:

It is very well designed.

It make a nice playset.

The way you designed it is not "too much". You just included what is necessary to capture the essence of the original ship.

You put some nice playing features too.

:thumbup:

Edited by Anio

I’m not really familiar with this ship, but I think you’ve done a great job on the design and the addition of the mini-figures to make it a nice play set. I also think it makes a great companion ship to the Fury. I’ll be sure to support it the next time I log in to CUUSOO. Great idea and execution! :thumbup::thumbup::wub:

Thanks a lot!

Not sure were you are getting 8 from though unless you mean the maximum crew you get in the game). The ship can fit way more than eight. The little dots on the landing pad in the image are people for the Actual scale of the ship. The Yellow ovoid on the front is actually a command screen where two sit side by side with room to spare.

I added a picture of the statuette figs to help showcase the "actual" scale vs Integrated minifigs.

This is built to Scale with the Statuette minifig. So a person would fit in a single 1 x 1 lego brick at this scale.

I went ahead and retrofit fit this in the transitional manner of Large Star Wars Ships though adding minifgs that would almost have have to be Zentradi. The Fury, the sister ship to this vessel, is actually produced by TLG in the same scale as this ship but they modified it for 3 "Giant" figures as well.

Hmmmmmm on the official TOR site it said crew up to 8... :wacko: I'll look again. I really like the look of the slide out 3-PO thing you did! Can you do that on both sides? Thats a way to fit more passengers.

Edited by commander1

Hmmmmmm on the official TOR site it said crew up to 8... :wacko: I'll look again. I really like the look of the slide out 3-PO thing you did! Can you do that on both sides? Thats a way to fit more passengers.

Ok, that is what I thought, it "crews 8" but I have seen detailed schematics of the whole internal structures. All the "Personal" ships on SWTOR dwarf the classical ships of their similar design (falcon, tie fighter, imperial shuttle, Slave 1, etc...). You can have a "crew of 8" but you could cram many many more into the ship. I think it might have "quarters" for 8 as a standard concept.

Currently both sides do slide out but not to my specific liking. I am perfecting the release and hold mechanic. The problem is that the fit is really tight for a droid so their are some headgears which will not fit. I was thinking of the other pod being an equipment bay perhaps If I could not get it to accommodate something more standard.

Really appreciate the feedback btw.

I supported this weeks ago, it really is an outstanding MOC.

I'd love for LEGO to make it, it would look great next to the Fury. :grin:

It does look great next to the Fury, I will try to get a decent photo of them together tonight.

I see you have found your way to Eurobricks glenbricker, welcome! I already added my support to this great project when i bumped into it during an earlier visit to Cuusoo. In my opinion it makes a much better companion set for the Fury than the Republic Striker, and i would probably buy the Defender if it was released as an official set.

Yes, the model is scaled down considerably compared to the ship as it is seen in the game. But so is the official Fury set, and in doing so you made your model fit in with the Fury set perfectly. Modifying your design to include minifigures was a smart move i think, it adds greatly to the overall appeal of the set. The bright red is just a bit on the bright side for me, i think i would prefer dark red as the main color. But the build itself captures the essence of the ship just brilliantly, well done! :thumbup:

I'm very interested to see the updates on your continued improvements! :sweet:

I’m not really familiar with this ship, but I think you’ve done a great job on the design and the addition of the mini-figures to make it a nice play set. I also think it makes a great companion ship to the Fury. I’ll be sure to support it the next time I log in to CUUSOO. Great idea and execution! :thumbup::thumbup::wub:

Thanks!

It is very well designed.

It make a nice playset.

The way you designed it is not "too much". You just included what is necessary to capture the essence of the original ship.

You put some nice playing features too.

:thumbup:

Thanks a lot Anio. I really appreciate the compliment. It is hard to know sometimes what to sacrifice when building something in Lego and I am very happy to hear that I have successfully pulled off the necessary detailing, iyo.

Cheers.

I see you have found your way to Eurobricks glenbricker, welcome! I already added my support to this great project when i bumped into it during an earlier visit to Cuusoo. In my opinion it makes a much better companion set for the Fury than the Republic Striker, and i would probably buy the Defender if it was released as an official set.

Yes, the model is scaled down considerably compared to the ship as it is seen in the game. But so is the official Fury set, and in doing so you made your model fit in with the Fury set perfectly. Modifying your design to include minifigures was a smart move i think, it adds greatly to the overall appeal of the set. The bright red is just a bit on the bright side for me, i think i would prefer dark red as the main color. But the build itself captures the essence of the ship just brilliantly, well done! :thumbup:

I'm very interested to see the updates on your continued improvements! :sweet:

Hey DFOL,

thanks for the warm welcome. I feel so stupid! I love Dark Red. It is my favorite of the Lego colors actually. I wanted originally to use Dark Red on this build but it is missing some key parts. It never occurred to me to alter the image to match my desire for Dark Red.

Cheers.

Hey DFOL,

thanks for the warm welcome. I feel so stupid! I love Dark Red. It is my favorite of the Lego colors actually. I wanted originally to use Dark Red on this build but it is missing some key parts. It never occurred to me to alter the image to match my desire for Dark Red.

Cheers.

Don't we all love dark red? :laugh: No reason to feel stupid though, looking at the official pictures of the ship, the color is neither bright red nor dark red. So you can go either way. I assumed you picked bright red either out of a personal preference or because of parts availability.

If you have a digital model of your creation, you could try it with dark red to see how it looks. If you think it's an improvement you can always upload a nice render of the updated color sceme to Cuusoo right?

Edit: I see you already photoshopped the image! It does look nice in dark red! :wub:

Edited by DFOL

Nice one glenbricker, I'm not familiar with the game at all but the Corellian Defender looks sweet :sweet:. It has the Star Wars hammer head feel and to the cruiser and the photoshoped dark red look much better IMO. I also live that little play features you put in, the compartment for C2-N2 is genius. :thumbup:

Hey glenbricker welcome to Eurobricks :sweet: Your ship is really cool looking! The only thing I can say for improving it would be making it a little bigger, I know that is extremely hard to do, and maybe if made bigger make some more cabin space on the inside! The ship reminds me of the Ebon Hawk and I know that thing had a HUGE inside, so maybe something with just a little more detailed interior would get you some more votes!

Other than that though I really like it and wish you the best of luck getting it up to 10,000! :thumbup:

What a great way to introduce yourself to EB glenbricker, glad to have you here! :sweet:

I'm very impressed with this creation, especially how you got the overall shape, design, colors and detailing with pinpoint accuracy (the side-by-side comparison below would do justice). There's also a good balance of SOT-SNOT build, playable features and custom minifigs which gives an overall impression of a complete LEGO set. These, along with the downscaled size similar to the Fury, make it a realistic possible future set and certainly worthy to be supported in CUUSOO in my opinion. Great job and hope to see more of your LSW MOCs here. :thumbup:

8005231366_ae22fc7a0b_c.jpg

Very impressive! I don't support many CUUSOO models, mostly however yours has piqued my interested and there's not many TOR MOC's out there. I'm especially fond of the close faithfulness and the presentation. Even better is that you gave it the "LEGO" feel by not expanding the ship so it would fit all the passengers/crew and keeping it similar to official models.

This has really good potential and I look forward to more creations from you.

I love the way this captures the feel of the ship, has playability AND fits in with existing Lego models - I don't often support things on CUUSOO ( too lazy) but I had to make an exception for this...

It is hard to know sometimes what to sacrifice when building something in Lego

It is indeed the prerequisite to have a model cleverly and nicely built.

If you get that, I guess you should be able to design many other good models. :thumbup:

Nice one glenbricker, I'm not familiar with the game at all but the Corellian Defender looks sweet :sweet:. It has the Star Wars hammer head feel and to the cruiser and the photoshoped dark red look much better IMO. I also live that little play features you put in, the compartment for C2-N2 is genius. :thumbup:

Thanks! Might I say that that Jabba palace diorama looks stunning!

I am glad to hear that someone else gets the Hammerhead feel out of the Defender as well. For some reason I have a real emotional connection to anything reminiscent of a Hammerhead. For instance the Hammership from Spelljammer

Hey glenbricker welcome to Eurobricks :sweet: Your ship is really cool looking! The only thing I can say for improving it would be making it a little bigger, I know that is extremely hard to do, and maybe if made bigger make some more cabin space on the inside! The ship reminds me of the Ebon Hawk and I know that thing had a HUGE inside, so maybe something with just a little more detailed interior would get you some more votes!

Other than that though I really like it and wish you the best of luck getting it up to 10,000! :thumbup:

Thanks Spider-man.

I have considered making it bigger, but if I make a Bigger Defender I am going to have to make it two times wider at least. I would want to integrate the levels and such that exist in the schematics...I am not sure that would be healthy for me. ;). Besides, I already have a giant build for a ship that most people can't recognize.

I remember when I first saw this MOC on cussoo, it was before you had added the interior in, so it couldn't sit any characters, I remember sitting there and wishing so much that you'd add in a little cockpit area, voila. :D

Wish comes true. :')

Now to wish for instructions.. xD

Excellent build, good job.