Rick

2013 City Sets - Rumours and Discussion

Sigh....I wanted a train and airport theme. I think TLG should give the police and fire theme a break for at least a year.

Don't loose all hope! Train and Airport sets always come in the Summer, so I'm confident we'll see some new ones in Summer 2013. :sweet:

Don't loose all hope! Train and Airport sets always come in the Summer, so I'm confident we'll see some new ones in Summer 2013. :sweet:

Very true, we only know about one large set being a fire station, a museum, plus stacks of vehicle('s) play sets...so who knows what the mid-year releases with bring us next year ? :wink:

I feel the idea behind more police sets is three fold, ever popular, possible video game tie and the hapless crooks appearing in those Lego City cartoons. :wink:

I don't think fire and police jobs should be the only alternative options to a desk-based career though but sadly these are the two themes that seem to be made too often by Lego in my opinion. When I was a kid I didn't want to be a policeman or fireman. I actually wanted to become a farmer! There are lots of other alternatives too like coastguard, pilot, medical, veterinary...

Totally agreed with that.

I find it ironic that the Friends theme generated so much controversy for its supposed "stereotypical" view of girls. And yet, I've never heard any criticism of Lego for its stereotypical view of boys. Not every boy wants to be a policeman or a fire fighter.

Since I am into so many different themes, I am actually very thankful for LEGO City. If they produced anything other than Police/Fire, then I might actually want to spend my money there also and that would definitely break the bank :classic:.

But I do suppose the Friends theme adds in a lot of other ideas for buildings any city needs, only in bright "girly" colors. I'm sure AFOLs and younger girls are appreciating the colors used in the Friends line, but you can have a cafe and a vet clinic in normal colors instead of bright pinks/blues.

As far as a cheap wheelbarrow, that would be great to come in a set you already plan on buying, but I just bought one from PAB on S@H because I didn't want the actual set it came in this year. It was like $1.00.

Since I am into so many different themes, I am actually very thankful for LEGO City. If they produced anything other than Police/Fire, then I might actually want to spend my money there also and that would definitely break the bank :classic:. . .

Same here. But I do like the idea of a Fire motorcycle, if it looks nice I might get one!

60004 Firestation Big, 5 firemen, dalmatian new dog, little car big car

Ermergerd! Awesome! :wub: So hope that's true.

Since the city sets went into a forset theme this past year i was hoping for a forestry type fire station. But instead we get another city fire dept. With another ladder truck and another fire car...Is it just me or does lego just make the same thing over and over again the last couple fire stations to me were almost identical. I wish they would have made a forest style station with a off road pickup rescue truck and a type 3 style engine or water tender... oh well maybe when i see the pictures ill change my mide

Ermergerd! Awesome! :wub: So hope that's true.

Yeah, we really need some variety in dog breeds! :thumbup:

Since the city sets went into a forset theme this past year i was hoping for a forestry type fire station. But instead we get another city fire dept. With another ladder truck and another fire car...Is it just me or does lego just make the same thing over and over again the last couple fire stations to me were almost identical. I wish they would have made a forest style station with a off road pickup rescue truck and a type 3 style engine or water tender... oh well maybe when i see the pictures ill change my mide

Your right mattb483, it would have been good if TLG had made a forest Fire Station. WOnder what the reason was that they didn't release one.

I also mentioned in a previous post about the repetitiveness of a ladder truck and small car combo on Lego city fire stations. I would rather the had a ladder and a pump combo and a release of a newer version of the Hydraulic platform/ALP from 7945 and a seperate Heavy rescue type truck.

Yeah, we really need some variety in dog breeds! :thumbup:

Well, the new dalmatian will help - it's 'probably' the same mold with printed dots (no stickers luckily :laugh: ). Adding dogs from Friends's sets, one can have a nice selection of various breeds. Since this was sort of 'out of topic' comment, let me add that the dalmatian dog will (imo) be the best part of the 2013 Firemen.

I've seen a list that mentions Coastguard, Construction and Cargo sets, I don't have the names with me right now and I cant confirm as to whether they're city or not (more likely than not). I do remember one of the Cargo sets being called the Cargo Heliplane.

I'm quite happy about the new dalmatian. I had actually thought they wouldn't do something like that, since Wikipedia implies that the use of dalmatians as fire station dogs is mostly a U.S. phenomenon.

As for the criticisms of more police and fire, while some of the sets are guaranteed to be repetitive (like generic fire engines), I found that last year's waves were incredibly imaginative, and attractive to boot. This year's seem to be similar in that regard. Lots of unique concepts, and if they have police and firemen tying them together it should be no detriment to the quality of these ideas.

I've seen a list that mentions Coastguard, Construction and Cargo sets, I don't have the names with me right now and I cant confirm as to whether they're city or not (more likely than not). I do remember one of the Cargo sets being called the Cargo Heliplane.

Yes, thats 2H.

Well that sounds second half releases to me, but three subthemes....usually it's only one or two more for the year. :look:

But lets worry about seeing the first half sets.....when they start appearing that is. :blush:

Well, the new dalmatian will help - it's 'probably' the same mold with printed dots (no stickers luckily :laugh: ). Adding dogs from Friends's sets, one can have a nice selection of various breeds. Since this was sort of 'out of topic' comment, let me add that the dalmatian dog will (imo) be the best part of the 2013 Firemen.

Ah well, I'm not too interested in the Friends dogs - and knowing me, I won't be getting this dalmatian either, but it nice to know there is one. . . sort of.

Coastguard sounds interesting, guess it will complement the Harbor sets?

Well looking at the Lego timeframe, the last coast guard was 2008, the last cargo related sets was again 2008 and construction was back in early 2009. Even though we've had drips of all of them over the past few years......life saver in the marina set, fuel tanker semi-trailer and this years orange dump truck.

It seems that great vehicles series and the collectable minifigs can lead to new or rebooted sub-themes. At the moment we only know of three great vehicles and a range of fire sets plus three police ones....that would only be half the range for next year so maybe there's room for three sub-themes.....oh, I wonder if there is a cargo one that includes a new train....gee, now that's wishful thinking and off-topic...sorry. :blush::laugh:

Your right mattb483, it would have been good if TLG had made a forest Fire Station. WOnder what the reason was that they didn't release one.

I also mentioned in a previous post about the repetitiveness of a ladder truck and small car combo on Lego city fire stations. I would rather the had a ladder and a pump combo and a release of a newer version of the Hydraulic platform/ALP from 7945 and a seperate Heavy rescue type truck.

Totally agree. Set 6389 has been the only fire station to be released with a pumper. But i too think a ladder and pumper combo would be awesome. The thing is ibthink since lego is a kids toy and i guess they think kids have more fun with a ladder truck then a boreing old pumper/engine.

Totally agree. Set 6389 has been the only fire station to be released with a pumper. But i too think a ladder and pumper combo would be awesome. The thing is ibthink since lego is a kids toy and i guess they think kids have more fun with a ladder truck then a boreing old pumper/engine.

That sounds like the reason. After all, wouldn't it be more exciting to climb the ladder than just sit there pumping?

That sounds like the reason. After all, wouldn't it be more exciting to climb the ladder than just sit there pumping?

Yeh but the kids would have a better playing scenario with 2 fire engines ie Ladder and pumper than with the small car which doesnt offer much play IMO

Yeh but the kids would have a better playing scenario with 2 fire engines ie Ladder and pumper than with the small car which doesnt offer much play IMO

But if you buy every set....then you do have enough for a better playing scenario, that's Lego's idea to make money ! :laugh:

I'm check everyday for images on Goggle and Flickr....nothing yet, gee has Lego sealed all the cracks this year ? :laugh:

But if you buy every set....then you do have enough for a better playing scenario, that's Lego's idea to make money ! :laugh:

I'm check everyday for images on Goggle and Flickr....nothing yet, gee has Lego sealed all the cracks this year ? :laugh:

Yeh Lego has done well this year. Can't wait to see the images especially to confirm whats with each set.

Okay so lets have a curve ball now......

Lego are running a Lego City Comic Builder Contest, where the grand prize is one's winning design featured on the November catalogue and 14 2013 City sets.....that's 14.....our last count was 13...so what's missing a great vehicle or an exclusive we don't know about at all ? :look:

I also would love more civilian buildings from city. I love the creator series, I just wish TLG would mix those two themes together or just create more buildings. I am happy there will be a burning house, but I'm guessing it won't be very detailed.

I totally agree! I also echo the thoughts about a school sub-theme, would also love something like a shopping centre. Anything that lets a City grow and expand would be fantastic, not just Emergency Services. I know, though, that these sets offer the most play and that's why TLG does it year after year.

I wouldn't get your hopes up. It'll probably be another fifty years until Lego enters the 21st century regarding gender stereotyping. Anything like schools and shopping malls will default to the Friends theme. because shops and education are obviously girly. Whereas vehicles are obviously all boys want. every single boy across the entire planet! :ugh: