Si-MOCs

Kaliphlin Guild: Homepage, Sign-up and Discussion

I think you should restrain this to Kaliphlin only. It would simply be too annoying if or own community build wouldn't take off just because people think that doing a university is cooler than doing a wall. Just my two cents ...

:laugh:

To be honest, I really would love to build a section of the wall :classic:

Dips on:

History (I got a really nice idea and I already got the History Professor (Geshi Edeh Nis, remember?))

And also a dormitory and stuff like that.

I think almost everybody can build a dormitory as there are plenty of students who will have to sleep sometimes :classic: Haha we can make studenthouses and studentsclubs :laugh: Dips on Kappa Digamma Sigma (K.F.S.) :tongue:

Courtyard of the Master Namer / or Enchanted Grove - thanks Mrs le Guin :wink:

Don't forget the Master Doorkeeper!

(Or was a different courtyard? I'll have to dig out that book...)

I think almost everybody can build a dormitory as there are plenty of students who will have to sleep sometimes :classic: Haha we can make studenthouses and studentsclubs :laugh: Dips on Kappa Digamma Sigma (K.F.S.) :tongue:

I agree, the more dormitories the merrier, although it might be a good idea to make them all simmilar? :sceptic: What kind of minifig would make a good student? I'm presumming we don't want anything too modern (like the CMF S5 graduate). :laugh:

I'm interested in building an Engineering room (architectural and war machine) and/or possibly one or two rooms for the war academy- Military strategy and/or Archery.

I agree, the more dormitories the merrier, although it might be a good idea to make them all simmilar? :sceptic: What kind of minifig would make a good student? I'm presumming we don't want anything too modern (like the CMF S5 graduate). :laugh:

I already thought about that some months ago :laugh: In my eyes, those oldschool tan and brown Jedi's torso's (like Obi Wan, Jin, Luke, Anakin). Or maybe these of HP (and the badges are for example studentclub badges...).

Dormitories don't really have to look alike. You can for example build a small building with dormitory, chill room, kitchen and some studyspace in it...

Of course these are more sideprojects :classic:

I already thought about that some months ago :laugh: In my eyes, those oldschool tan and brown Jedi's torso's (like Obi Wan, Jin, Luke, Anakin). Or maybe these of HP (and the badges are for example studentclub badges...). . .

Hmm . . . that's unfortunate, I don't have any of those. I do have a black torso that looks (I think) a lot like one of the old Jedi ones. :sceptic:

How about ...

University will be open to ALL... eventually. But Kaliphlin has a month head start, if there is no progress (in form of WIP photo) in one month's time (let's make it Oct 1st to keep it simple) it's open for anyone else.

So essentially we'll start off as a community college then moving up to International fancy-pants University and welcome all from Historica?

And I'll offer up two sets of prizes, one for best Kaliphlin build, and one for best build period - which may or may not be won by Kaliphlin.

Everyone cool?

How about ...

University will be open to ALL... eventually. But Kaliphlin has a month head start, if there is no progress (in form of WIP photo) in one month's time (let's make it Oct 1st to keep it simple) it's open for anyone else.

So essentially we'll start off as a community college then moving up to International fancy-pants University and welcome all from Historica?

And I'll offer up two sets of prizes, one for best Kaliphlin build, and one for best build period - which may or may not be won by Kaliphlin.

Everyone cool?

Aight mylord!

Sounds good to me. I'll wrangle something up after I've finished my fifth guild.

How about ...

Everyone cool?

Sounds like the perfect balance between the two!

Sounds great! I think I'll start with a library today. :wink:

What do we do if we end up building more than one room (same topic, or do we create a new one)? I'm ambitious :laugh:

What do we do if we end up building more than one room (same topic, or do we create a new one)? I'm ambitious :laugh:

Well, we can certainly have more than one room of a particular type. Such as multiple libraries, because, of course, the university is made up of a bunch of different colleges, and each should probably have its own dorms, libraries, refectory, etc.

Oops, I misread your question! I'd suggest if you create multiple rooms in the same building, or ones that are closely related to each other, put them in the same thread. Otherwise in separate threads.

And we ought to have one master University thread for general uni building discussion. The first post in it should be an index with, for each individual university MOC thread, a name/description, name of builder, link to the specific thread, and one reasonably sized photo. Perhaps the second post in it can be a list of build ideas, and we'll cross them off as people complete them (although that part might be best done on the wiki so everyone can edit it).

Well, we can certainly have more than one room of a particular type. Such as multiple libraries, because, of course, the university is made up of a bunch of different colleges, and each should probably have its own dorms, libraries, refectory, etc.

Oops, I misread your question! I'd suggest if you create multiple rooms in the same building, or ones that are closely related to each other, put them in the same thread. Otherwise in separate threads.

And we ought to have one master University thread for general uni building discussion. The first post in it should be an index with, for each individual university MOC thread, a name/description, name of builder, link to the specific thread, and one reasonably sized photo. Perhaps the second post in it can be a list of build ideas, and we'll cross them off as people complete them (although that part might be best done on the wiki so everyone can edit it).

OK, I understand. Yes, I agree, we should have on general thread and an idea list is a good idea. :tongue: Does anybody have any ideas as to how modern or ancient we want this to look? More Medieval or more like Renaissance time period (probably not anywhere after that would be my guess)?

How about ...

Everyone cool?

Yes sir! Community college? That gives me an idea... :wink: Rightio, my architects are off to pore over building plans for the lecture theatre. :classic:

Great idea for a master thread - i don't have much time to get that up atm though, can anyone else tackle it? I think Damximus made a sweet list of possible subjects/ideas a couple of pages ago. :classic:

OK, I understand. Yes, I agree, we should have on general thread and an idea list is a good idea. :tongue: Does anybody have any ideas as to how modern or ancient we want this to look? More Medieval or more like Renaissance time period (probably not anywhere after that would be my guess)?

Are you talking about architechture, or artifact technology, or clothing or what? Your guess at no later than the European renaissance is a pretty good rough guide, although i'd suggest you do a bit of background reading on the Islamic golden age as well. This is also an interesting list of ideas that we could incorporate into our university builds. :classic:

Anyway, just don't put any telephone poles or computer terminals in and you'll probably be alright. :laugh:

Does anybody have any ideas as to how modern or ancient we want this to look? More Medieval or more like Renaissance time period (probably not anywhere after that would be my guess)?

My guess would be a range from Islamic Golden Age (starting in the 8th century I think) through Medieval and Renaissance. It would totally make sense that parts of the university were built at different times and in different styles. But probably not much before then (except maybe some re-purposed ancient ruins) and none after.

Yes!

Excellent idea...

It's getting a tad late here... but I'll get it up tomorrow after work.

Till then brainstorming and start calling dibs on what to build! :laugh:

My guess would be a range from Islamic Golden Age (starting in the 8th century I think) through Medieval and Renaissance. It would totally make sense that parts of the university were built at different times and in different styles. But probably not much before then (except maybe some re-purposed ancient ruins) and none after.

Thanks! OK, there won't be any laptops (and no flush toilets either?). :tongue:

(and no flush toilets either?). :tongue:

Maybe a magical flush toilet or two, but only in the College of Wizardry. Unfortunately, they are ancient, and the magic in them has not been well maintained or recently tuned, so use them at your own peril!

...will there be evil 1 on 1? :)

some course or at least a two days lecture? :)

"how to rule the world"

"benefits of a blunt weapon"

"your war-riding animal and you"

"basic torture techniques"

"torturing for fun - advanced course"

"torturing for profit - master course"

"poisons and anathemas"

:)

...will there be evil 1 on 1? :)

some course or at least a two days lecture? :)

"how to rule the world"

"benefits of a blunt weapon"

"your war-riding animal and you"

"basic torture techniques"

"torturing for fun - advanced course"

"torturing for profit - master course"

"poisons and anathemas"

:)

There will be...but that's a Kaliphlin-only class :tongue: Can't give away all our plans, my friend :devil::laugh:

I had a long, boring conference call yesterday, so I put the phone on speaker, and did some major work on the wiki, mostly related to links to uncreated pages, and filling out stubs for all the geographical locations. Started to put links to some MOCs in there too.

I've got another long call tomorrow, likely to be equally as boring, and I was thinking about firing up GIMP and bringing the Kaliphlin maps up to date. I'll dig up DaMaximus' revisions from a while back (hopefully I can find them...) and apply those.

If anyone can think of any geographic locations that you've named, or would like to have on the maps, please let me know. That will save me a lot of time digging through threads to see where someone introduced themselves and named their town. I've got Cobalt Vale and Starbowl on the list to add. And Kai NRG -- I see where you want to locate, but don't think you gave your town a name. New folks -- there are a couple of unnamed towns/cities in good locations on the detailed maps on the wiki, if anyone would like to grab one. You all do know about the wiki right?

Now if I could just bring the LEGO collection into the office, I could be building while on these conference calls...

Edited by NiceMarmot

Looking really good all those maps! I think I'm going to do some wiki-work as well! :thumbup:

Looking really good NM! For Starbowl I'd like to have it placed on the Eastern shore of the Inland Sea South of Eastgate, but North of Barqa....probably in the middle of the coast there. Also, I was wondering if you could put into the center of the Withered Woods, The Citadel of the Moon(the Freebuild I'm working on right now), and maybe somehow mark the Withered Woods as the home of the Aridesti Elves.

Thanks!

Great work NM!!!

It's indeed a conclusion we all can make that Kaliphlins is the most lettered Guild of Historica (based on the amount of Wikia-stories and pages made (even before NM today!))

My brother will join Kaliphlin in the near future. If I am correct, he would build a powerfull bridge at the most northern spot of the western map (so where the road crosses the river)