Sign in to follow this  
Scubacarrot

Heroica RPG - Quest #40: The Strivvian Job

"If the elf has a potion, that will at least be a gauranteed heal and I can keep on goin' if that's suitable to everyone else." Skrall leaned up against the wall trying to stifle the blood pouring from his side.

'I can use a potion that will regenerate 10 health, or I can try a heal spell again, that will regenerate more, plus there's always a chance of a Shield, gods willing. I don't mind, but I'll give Larry the final say.'

Nyx looks across at the Ogre Skrall, both of them panting in their exertions in the fight.

"I only say this as a suggestion Larry, but you and Rufles could take free hits if Skrall and I sit out this round; you and Atramor could still act, and Rufles and Ellaria can once again focus on their healing. I have confidence their gods will aid them, but I really hope they'll aid them soon."

"Anything for you my dear!" Boomingham continues his attack.

Battle Order

Boomingham

Rufindel

Atramor

Ellaria

Skrall (Not Acting)

Nyx (Not Acting)

"Thank you Larry, I just need a breather, and I have faith in Ellaria and Rufindel that they (and their gods) will come to our aid."

Nyx smiles softly at Boomingham, before digging into her bag, pulling out her Remedy and aiming is squarely at Atramor's head.

"Heads up, witch! :grin: " she calls, maybe a moment later than she should.

Rufus, can you please be more clear as of your action next time?

Results of Round Nine of the Warehouse Battle:

Boomingham vs. Metasimian (Halberd) - Critical Hit (WP:9 x 2 + Level 18 + 4 extra power = 40 damage x 2 = 80 damage dealt)

Rufindel heals Skrall - Heal More (WP:10 x 2 + level 13 = 33 Health healed, 1 ether)

Atramor vs. Metasimian(Scroll and Spear) - Poisoned Hit (WP:10 + Level 21 /2 = 16 damage dealt)

Ellaria heals Nyx - Nurture (WP: 10 + Level 16 = 26 Health healed, 1 ether)

Skrall does nothing.

Nyx uses Remedy on Atramor.

Metasimian (Scimitar and Shield) - Free hit against Boomingham (32 + 5 SP - 26 = 11 Health) 18 - 7Counterstrike Damage

Metasimian (Flail) - Free hit against Rufindel (23 + 2 SP - (18/2) = 14 Health)

Finally things seem to go slightly well for the Heroes, Boomingham continues to drive the Halberdeer back, and manages to get another slice in, dealing quite a bit of damage, he has to quickly parry an attack from his side, which strains his arm, but he ripostes and deals some damage back. Rufindel heals his target this time, the big ogre, but does not see the Metasimian with the flail coming, and thus suffers a hit from his weapon. Atramor hits his opponent, but not poisoning him more than already happened. Ellaria finally gets her heal off, and nurtures Nyx succesfully. Skrall stands back, and Nyx throws a remedy at Atramor, who turns his head when Nyx calls, causing the vial to break right on his forehead, causing tiny cuts from the glass and causing the liquid to spew all over his face and into his nose. At least he is no longer slowed. Two of the remaining opponents suffer poison damage.

Enemies:

7821815818_69eab32e11_t.jpg

Metasimian "Slim"(Halberd)
"I not feel so good."

Type: Humanoid

Level: 25

Health: 70/476

Special:
Sweep:
Everyone in the same row takes
damage, regardless of row or SP.

Drops: Monkey Bar

7821815602_b60f006307_t.jpg

Metasimian "Scim"(Scimitar and Shield)
"Grrm, have I got to do everything myself?"

Level: 26

Health: 295/309

SP: 7

Special:
Shield Bash:
Causes the Hero to gasp for breath, causing them to be
Sealed

Drops: Nutritious Banana, Round Metal Shield

7821815528_735c03f631_t.jpg

Metasimian "Stim"(Scroll and Spear)
"Shut up, Scim, just shut up."
*Deadly Poisoned*

Level: 19

Health: 77/343

Special:
Bolster:
Encourages
two random allies.

Drops: Scroll of Recklessness

7821815656_5191183fe1_t.jpg

Metasimian "Louie"(Flail)
"..."
*Deadly Poisoned*

Level: 18

Health: 46/293

Special:
Bruise:
Stuns and causes the
Fragile
effect to the Hero

Drops: Heavy Flail

Party:

IMG_1583-1.jpg

Lord Lawrence Boomingham
(Zepher)
-Party Leader-

Level 18 Paladin
*Counterstriking*

Power:

Defense:

Health:
11/40

Ether:
12/12

Gold:

Equipment:
King of the Desert (Longsword)
(WP: 9,
Fire
Darkness
Earth
)
Shaduex Shield
(SP: 5),
Hood of Belthazar Bluehood
(+4 to Power, -6 to Ether),
Counterstrike Gloves
(On Free Hits, Deals damage to enemy equal to Boomingham's level)

Inventory:
, Frozen Saber (WP: 9, stunned effect,
Light
), Dress Uniform (User is encouraged for the 1st round of battle), Bedroll, 5 Bones, 4 Meads, 1 Phoenix essence, Pick-axe, 1 Jo-no Tree seed, 1 Grand Tonic, Emerald Lamp of Summoning

skrall.jpg

Skrall (Waterbrick Down)

Level 21 Hunter
*Favors Humanoid Enemies*
*Immunity to
Slowed
and
Bound

Power:

Health:
34/34

Gold:

Equipment:
Leojagd
(Greatsword, WP:20, User is
Slowed
),
Hunter's Quiver
(Bows and Crossbows +2WP, allows Hunters to favor two types of enemies),
Winged Sandles
(Immunity to
Slowed
and
Bound
effects)

Inventory:
Hunter's Crossbow (WP:11, +4 vs. Beasts), Heavy Crossbow (WP:8, Knockback), Smoke Bomb x1, Zoot's Plaything

5909627714_af21b5c29f_t.jpg

Nyx (Pandora)

Level 21.66 Battle Mage
*Immune to
Asleep
and
Sealed
effects*

Power:

Defense:

Health:
30/30

Ether:
28/31

Gold:

Equipment:
Book of a Thousand Creatures
(WP: 13; each roll has a 1/6 chance to summon
a creature
Edgar to aid the hero),
Sandman's Parasol
(immune to
Asleep
)
Robe of the Archmagi
(SP:3, Max. Ether +5, protects from
Sealed
-effect)

Inventory:
Dawnstar II (WP: 9), Shiny Helmet (+1 Max Health), Healing Staff (WP: 5; healing effect), Wooden Shield (SP:2),
Ruby (Fire)
Amethyst (Darkness)
Topaz (Lightning)
Sapphire (Wind)
Emerald (Wood)
Garnet (Earth)
, Scroll of Weakening, Potion, Tonics (2), Grand Tonics (2), Holy Bomb, Bones (5), Ether Core, Bedroll, Explosive Staff – WP: 12 (Does 1/2 damage to all enemies on a successful hit (normal damage to targeted enemy) and 1/2 WP damage to self on a roll of 4 (disregarding SP/row)), Bomb XX

7763856174_8a7636e4b7_t_d.jpg

Atramor Gibbin (CallMePie)

Level 21.33 Witch
*Deals
Badly Poisoned
*Counterstriking*

Health:
11/38

Ether:
19/19

Gold:

Equipment:
Ratsbane
(WP: 10, absorbs 2 health on successful strike,
fire
ice
earth
wind
elemental),
Witch's Talisman
(
Poisoned
Hits becomes
Badly Poisoned
Hits),
Counterstrike Gloves
(When hit by a Free Hit, immediately deals damage equal to level)

Inventory:
Sword of Ancestral Hatred (WP: 5, gains 1 WP every kill made with it) Staff of the Elven Warlock (WP: 5,
wood
elemental),
Topaz
, Grand Tonic, Fire Bomb, Bomb XX (Deals 30 damage to all enemies and 10 damage to all heroes, all damage ignoring SP/row), Dragon Scale (Gives Lucky and Blessed effects on consumption)

ava-ellaria3.jpg

Ellaria Arbour (Sandy)

Level 16 Druid
*Immune to
Sealed
-effect*

Power:
26 (22)

Health:
22/31

Ether:
18/21

Gold:

Equipment:
Ignis Fatuus
(WP:10,
fire
-elemental
staff
),
Mage's Muffler
(protects from
Sealed
effect)

Inventory:
Sylvania's Crossbow (WP:6,
wood
-elemental
crossbow), Potion, 2 Grand Potions, Tonic, Grand Tonic, 2 Elixirs, Remedy, Phoenix Essence, Nostrum, Venom, 2 Smoke Bombs, Flash Bomb, 2 Fire Bombs, 2 Ice Bombs, 2 Lightning Bombs, 2 Water Bombs, 2 Holy Bombs, Bedroll, Pickaxe, Telescope, Magic Compass

5909786980_7e1e6811fb_t.jpg

Rufindel Galadhras (Rufus)

Level 13 Cleric

Power
:

Defense:

Health:
14/23

Ether:
15/19

Gold:

Equipment:
Fauxthril Staff
(WP:10) ,
Warlord's Helmet
(SP:2 Grants 'Natural Respite')
Cloak of Chimera
(+2 Health, +2 Ether)

Inventory:
Malfunctioning Staff (WP:12, on succesful attack, has a 50% chance to do half of WP damage to self instead(Ignoring SP and Row))
Potion x2, Remedy x2, Bone x2, Pickaxe, Tonic x2, Bedroll, Venom, Grand Potion, Wooden Shield(SP:2)

Party Leader, post the order of action. Everybody, choose your actions and targets.

Edited by Scubacarrot

"What'd- gah!!"

Atramor stumbled to the side, spitting bilndly where he assumed was at Nyx's feet. He grumbled several choice words under his breath as he gingerly pulled bits of broken glass out of his face and choked on the Remedy he'd accidentally inhaled. McCafferey gave a harsh bawk in amusement.

"Damn makeup-smeared little....there, you're healed now, now quit chuckin' stuff at me and hit one of those apes! I could use a heal myself...preferably from one of the actual healers..."

Still vastly irritated, he once again took out his anger on Stim from the back row with Ratsbane.

Edited by CallMePie

Ellaria whispers a little thank you to Sylvania.

"Alright, everyone seems to be in good enough health for me to go bashing some skulls, again. Rufindel, you check Atramor. He seems to be whining about something."

She then turns her attention back to "Scim", attacking him from the front row.

'Well things seem to be going better for - ooof!'

Rufindel reels as the flail smacks into his body. Looking up, he thanks the gods for the healing spell, and, looking down, curses his own luck.

'Atramor, I can heal you, or myself if Ellaria wishes to nurture you.'

Rufus, can you please be more clear as of your action next time?

Sorry. And Happy Birthday!

"Thanks Ellaria, I feel loads better. :sweet:

Hey, Atters, sure you don't want me to wallop you on the head with my healing staff? :tongue: No? Are you suuure?? :laugh: "

Nyx stands straighter, thanks to the healing, and focuses once more on whittling down the health of the strongest Metasimian. She summons her Darkness magic through her Book and aims it at Scim [Metasimian (Scimitar and Shield)] from the back row.

OoC: Happy Birthday from me too!

'Ok, Ellaria. I'll heal Atramor. From the back row. And preferably late in the battle order, Boomy.'

"For whatever reason she's attackin' one that can knock her out in a single hit, so yeah, I could use a heal. And no, not from you, Nyx. :hmpf_bad: "

Nyx adopts a faux-hurt look as she addresses Atramor.

"It's not like I set you on fire Atters. At least not for a while. :cry_sad: "

She winks and grins, knowing the witch knew she was just being playful.

"Hey Ellaria, I've got Scim covered, thanks to your healing, if you'd rather go after another target?"

Skrall unsheathed Leojagd and charged Louie from the front row, "Ya sure ain't as talkative as yer fellows, I like that in an enemy, quiet and straight to business. Well let's have at it! Thanks fer the healin' again elf, by the way," Skrall commented as he swang the greatsword like a windmill over his head.

I should be at way less health. AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Boomingham backs up and coughs as the wind is once more knocked out of him. He nods at Rufindel's request to act near the end.

"Anything for you, dear," he laughs. "You lot seem to have it this round, I'll go ahead and heal myself up from the back row."

Battle Order

Skrall

Atramor

Ellaria

Nyx

Boomingham

Rufindel

And Happy Birthday!

OoC: Happy Birthday from me too!

AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Thanks guys. :classic:

Results of Round Ten of the Warehouse Battle:

Skrall vs. Metasimian (Flail) - Critical Hit (WP: 20 x 2 + Level 21 x 3 = 123 Damage dealt)

Atramor vs. Metasimian (Scroll and Spear - Poison (No Effect.)

Ellaria vs. Metasimian (Scimitar and Shield) - Critical Hit (WP:10 x 2 + Level 16 - 7 = 29 Damage dealt)

Nyx vs. Metasimian (Scimitar and Shield) - Damage (No Summon) (30 Health + 3 Sp - (26/2) = 20 Health)

Boomingham heals himself - Heal More (WP:9 x 2 + Level 18 + 4 extra power = 40 Health Healed, 1 ether)

Rufindel heals Atramor - No Healing

Metasimian (Halberd) - Free hit against Skrall (34 Health - 25 = 9 Health)

The battle continues. Skrall runs up the silent metasimian with the flail, and sends him flying and takes him out with one massive swing of his broadsword, but he gets hit for massive damage by the halberdeer in return. Atramor manages to get more poison into the magicuser's veins, but it does not help much. Ellaria double teams with Nyx, and while Nyx has to suffer a hit, Ellaria manages to hit the Metasimian with the shield with her fiery staff. Boomingham stands back and heals himself succesfully, while Rufindel's healing attempt fizzles. The three remaining enemies are now driven into a corner, Stim takes poison damage.

Enemies:

"Smash..."

Special:
Sweep:

"Whose idea was it to attack this place again?"

Health: 266/309

Special:
Shield Bash:
Sealed

"Damn it, and damn that Wolf_Cub666 with his faulty info."
*Deadly Poisoned*

Health: 67/343

Special:
Bolster:
Encourages
two random allies.

Party:

IMG_1583-1.jpg

Lord Lawrence Boomingham
(Zepher)
-Party Leader-

Level 18 Paladin
*Counterstriking*

Power:

Defense:

Health:
40/40

Ether:
11/12

Gold:

Equipment:
Fire
Darkness
Earth
)
Shaduex Shield
Counterstrike Gloves

Inventory:
Light
), Dress Uniform (User is encouraged for the 1st round of battle), Bedroll, 5 Bones, 4 Meads, 1 Phoenix essence, Pick-axe, 1 Jo-no Tree seed, 1 Grand Tonic, Emerald Lamp of Summoning

skrall.jpg

Skrall (Waterbrick Down)

Level 21 Hunter
*Immunity to
Slowed
and
Bound

Power:

Health:
9/34

Gold:

Equipment:
Leojagd
Slowed
),
Hunter's Quiver
Winged Sandles
(Immunity to
Slowed
and
Bound
effects)

Inventory:
Hunter's Crossbow (WP:11, +4 vs. Beasts), Heavy Crossbow (WP:8, Knockback), Smoke Bomb x1, Zoot's Plaything

Nyx (Pandora)

Level 21.66 Battle Mage
*Immune to
Asleep
and
Sealed
effects*

Power:

Defense:

Health:
20/30

Ether:
28/31

Gold:

Equipment:
a creature
Edgar to aid the hero),
Sandman's Parasol
(immune to
Asleep
)
Robe of the Archmagi
Sealed
-effect)

Inventory:
Dawnstar II (WP: 9), Shiny Helmet (+1 Max Health), Healing Staff (WP: 5; healing effect), Wooden Shield (SP:2),
Ruby (Fire)
Amethyst (Darkness)
Topaz (Lightning)
Sapphire (Wind)
Emerald (Wood)
Garnet (Earth)
, Scroll of Weakening, Potion, Tonics (2), Grand Tonics (2), Holy Bomb, Bones (5), Ether Core, Bedroll, Explosive Staff – WP: 12 (Does 1/2 damage to all enemies on a successful hit (normal damage to targeted enemy) and 1/2 WP damage to self on a roll of 4 (disregarding SP/row)), Bomb XX

Level 21.33 Witch
*Deals
Badly Poisoned
*Counterstriking*

Health:
11/38

Ether:
19/19

Gold:

Equipment:
Ratsbane
fire
ice
earth
wind
elemental),
Witch's Talisman
(
Poisoned
Hits becomes
Badly Poisoned
Hits),
Counterstrike Gloves

Inventory:
Sword of Ancestral Hatred (WP: 5, gains 1 WP every kill made with it) Staff of the Elven Warlock (WP: 5,
wood
elemental),
Topaz
, Grand Tonic, Fire Bomb, Bomb XX (Deals 30 damage to all enemies and 10 damage to all heroes, all damage ignoring SP/row), Dragon Scale (Gives Lucky and Blessed effects on consumption)

ava-ellaria3.jpg

Ellaria Arbour (Sandy)

Level 16 Druid
*Immune to
Sealed
-effect*

Power:
26 (22)

Health:
22/31

Ether:
18/21

Gold:

Equipment:
Ignis Fatuus
fire
-elemental
staff
),
Mage's Muffler
(protects from
Sealed
effect)

Inventory:
wood
-elemental
crossbow), Potion, 2 Grand Potions, Tonic, Grand Tonic, 2 Elixirs, Remedy, Phoenix Essence, Nostrum, Venom, 2 Smoke Bombs, Flash Bomb, 2 Fire Bombs, 2 Ice Bombs, 2 Lightning Bombs, 2 Water Bombs, 2 Holy Bombs, Bedroll, Pickaxe, Telescope, Magic Compass

Level 13 Cleric

Power
:

Defense:

Health:
14/23

Ether:
15/19

Gold:

Equipment:
Fauxthril Staff
Warlord's Helmet
Cloak of Chimera
(+2 Health, +2 Ether)

Inventory:
Malfunctioning Staff (WP:12, on succesful attack, has a 50% chance to do half of WP damage to self instead(Ignoring SP and Row))
Potion x2, Remedy x2, Bone x2, Pickaxe, Tonic x2, Bedroll, Venom, Grand Potion, Wooden Shield(SP:2)

Party Leader, post the order of action. Everybody, choose your actions and targets.

"Ooooh, nice hit Skrall. :sweet: And Ellaria, you're tougher than you look, nice strike. :thumbup:

I'll let you all work out who's healing whom, but as I doubt anyone wants me healing anyone I shall once more cast Darkness on Scim [Metasimian (Scimitar and Shield)] and again from the back row."

Ellaria blushes as she realizes the danger she had put herself into.

"Oh, I guess I was lucky. I should probably pick someone my own size in the future, though..."

Ellaria points her staff at Slim, preparing to attack from the front row.

"Atramor, do me a favor and heal yourself up, would you? Rufindel, I'm sorry if you're the bashing type because you aren't seeing much of that this battle, but if you could patch the Ogre up for me, I'd appreciate it. Nyx, Ellaria, Ogre, let's finish these monkeys."

Boomingham laughs viciously as he dances towards Scim with his King of the Desert from the front row.

Battle Order

Boomingham

Nyx

Rufindel

Ellaria

Atramor

Skrall

Atramor merely grumbles to himself at Boomingham's words, though he did attempt to heal himself from the back row.

"I was under the impression that's what actual healers were for..."

Boomingham continues his dangerous dance with the Metasimian as he turns to talk to Atramor.

"You and I are actual healers now, chap. Best get used to the fact. While you serve under me, you'll use your skills in the most beneficial way to the unit, not in whichever willy nilly way you feel like. Your a healer, so you heal. Safer than sending you into combat and potentially having you knocked out if someone else's spell goes awry. This way we have three assured attacks with no possibility of any of them being knocked out. I admit I put the Ogre into some danger, but the less risk, the better. So no grumbling. Faster you fix yourself, faster that blade of your's gets to chop these boys down."

OoC: I know you get it, CMP. Just thought I'd explain to Atters.

Skrall grunted as he took the halberd to the side, "Rrr, I"m getting tired of this." Skrall watched as Eliara approached the occupied pole-arm wielding ape. "The druid's goin' to get herself killed takin' on an opponent like that." Skrall moved quickly to try and get to the ape before her, swinging Leojard in a high arc at Slim from the front row. "You want smash, how about yer skull, filthy ape!"

I'm just going to assume Rufindel is healing Skrall, I can't update later tonight.

Results of Round Eleven of the Warehouse Battle:

Boomingham vs. Metasimian (Scimitar and Shield) - Critical Hit (WP:9 x 2 + Level 18 + 4 extra power = 40 x 2 - 7 = 73 Damage Dealt)

Nyx vs. Metasimian (Scimitar and Shield) - Shield Spellswordbook (No Summon)(WP: 13 x 3 + Level 21 = 60 / 2 + 60 x 2 = 150 - 7 = 143 Damage Dealt)

Rufindel heals Skrall - No Healing

Ellaria vs. Metasimian (Halberd) - Special Damage (10 damage to front row: Ellaria 22-10=12, Boomingham 40-10=30, Skrall 9 - 10 = 0)

Atramor heals himself - Shield Hex

Skrall vs. Metasimian (Halberd) - Special Damage Knocked Out

Metasimian (Scroll and Spear) - Free hit against Boomingham (30 + 5 SP - 19 = 16 Health) 18 counterstrike damage.

And then things got ugly. The backed up Monkeys proves that desperate times require desperate deeds, and are quite succesful in doing just that. The Metasimian with the shield, Scim, suddenly runs out with his Shield raised, causing him to suffer big hits from Boomingham and Nyx, but it allows the Halberdeer to swing wildly with his weapon, hurting Boomingham and Ellaria, and knocking Skrall unconcious. This is followed up by the one with the Spear, who hits Boomingham as well. Rufindel stares with big eyes at the fallen ogre, unsure what to do. Atramor casts his favorite spell instead of healing himself, he is not good at that anyway. Stim takes 10 damage from poison.

Enemies:

"That's what you get."

Special:
Sweep:

"You... Only have... this trick... Witch?"
*Hexed*

Health: 50/309

Special:
Shield Bash:
Sealed

"One down, few more to go, hehe! "
*Deadly Poisoned*

Health: 39/343

Special:
Bolster:
Encourages
two random allies.

Party:

IMG_1583-1.jpg

Lord Lawrence Boomingham
(Zepher)
-Party Leader-

Level 18 Paladin
*Counterstriking*

Power:

Defense:

Health:
16/40

Ether:
11/12

Gold:

Equipment:
Fire
Darkness
Earth
)
Shaduex Shield
Counterstrike Gloves

Inventory:
Light

skrall.jpg

Skrall (Waterbrick Down)

Level 21 Hunter
*Immunity to
Slowed
and
Bound
*Knocked Out*

Power:

Health:
0/34

Gold:

Equipment:
Leojagd
Slowed
),
Hunter's Quiver
Winged Sandles
(Immunity to
Slowed
and
Bound
effects)

Inventory:

Nyx (Pandora)

Level 21.66 Battle Mage
*Immune to
Asleep
and
Sealed
effects*

Power:

Defense:

Health:
20/30

Ether:
28/31

Gold:

Equipment:
a creature
Edgar to aid the hero),
Sandman's Parasol
(immune to
Asleep
)
Robe of the Archmagi
Sealed
-effect)

Inventory:
Ruby (Fire)
Amethyst (Darkness)
Topaz (Lightning)
Sapphire (Wind)
Emerald (Wood)
Garnet (Earth)

Level 21.33 Witch
*Deals
Badly Poisoned
*Counterstriking*

Health:
11/38

Ether:
19/19

Gold:

Equipment:
Ratsbane
fire
ice
earth
wind
elemental),
Witch's Talisman
(
Poisoned
Hits becomes
Badly Poisoned
Hits),
Counterstrike Gloves

Inventory:
wood
elemental),
Topaz

ava-ellaria3.jpg

Ellaria Arbour (Sandy)

Level 16 Druid
*Immune to
Sealed
-effect*

Power:
26 (22)

Health:
12/31

Ether:
18/21

Gold:

Equipment:
Ignis Fatuus
fire
-elemental
staff
),
Mage's Muffler
(protects from
Sealed
effect)

Inventory:
wood
-elemental

Level 13 Cleric

Power
:

Defense:

Health:
14/23

Ether:
15/19

Gold:

Equipment:
Fauxthril Staff
Warlord's Helmet
Cloak of Chimera
(+2 Health, +2 Ether)

Inventory:

Edited by Scubacarrot

"...And that is why healers stick to healing..."

Atramor looks rather surprised and irritated at the sight of Skrall's hulk thrown to the floor by one of the Metasimians and its halberd, hexing their leader in the closest thing to vengeance. He takes a lunge at Scim, darting right at the confused ape from the front row with Ratsbane.

Edited by CallMePie

'Fucksticks.' Even elves swear sometimes. 'Anyone have anything to resurrect Skrall?' If not, I'll try to heal Boomingham from the back row.' Glares at his staff.