Sign in to follow this  
JimBee

Heroica RPG - Quest #29: Journey to Dastan

Cronk stares down Emperor. Grrr. Roland make friends look like fools. Confuse friends. Almost make friends bash other friends. Cronk happy Roland got bashed.

Cronk not concerned about hearing traitor's reasons for becoming traitor. In end, reasons not matter.

Nikolai, what do friends do with Emperor now?

Edit: Cronk will heal Galen, Cronk, and Flavius.

Edited by CorneliusMurdock

Galen, dazed and confused, barely had time to collect his thoughts before he was whisked away to Emperor Emeraldo. He hadn't thanked Nerwen who brought him back to consciousness at the end of the battle. He hadn't thanked Skrall who handed him a generous share of the loot despite Galen falling after a few rounds of combat. He didn't even think of asking if Nyx was fine, or if any Hero had died. Everything around him had been a flurry of activity, and Galen was still too groggy to drink it all in.

Now he tried to focus on the Emperor. His last encounter with the man seemed to have been so long ago, in another life. Galen tried to remember the reasons why this Emperor would betray the two others, but somehow he couldn't piece it all together anymore. He decided that this could wait until he had food in his stomach and a mattress to lie on. All that mattered to him now was to leave this palace in the safe hands of those who could capably lead this Empire, and make it back to Eubric in one piece. One day he might even tell his grandchildren about having fought in the great Battle of Dastan... provided that they didn't ask for too many details!

Galen looked wearily at Emperor Emeraldo and waited for someone to speak.

Sarick was fighting steadily and thinking mechanically 'Blast shards of ice ,dodge incoming attack, fling freezing mush, roll with this incoming punch'. The blast from the powerful bomb is what knocked him out of his battle trance. He had received a bomb of his own and a mysterious shard. There was still much he did not know about magic.

Sarick walked with the others up to the Emperor. He listened to De'kra and Cronk speak before saying "Good question De'kra, why betray your comradesss. Money? That can't be it because you are weathly. Love? I have heard nothing of a queen, misstress or harlot. Power? Yesss, that is probably it. Some can never have too much power..."

Denarii had been enjoying herself. Flying around and shooting the men who would hurt her friends. Then once they were all taken care of there was so much stuff lying around, lots of it valuable. Then the ogre came stomping in a handed out the pile.

And didn't even give her any!

She was handed a crown but Skrall made her promise to give it to Nerwen, the healer lady.

She was beginning to work up a good pout when she remembered...

Flavius!

About to rush out of the corridor to find him she nearly collided with Nerwen supporting him, walking in.

Calm down Denarii, here he is. A bit battered and it will be a little while before he flys again, but he will mend.

As Denarii rushes to fuss over Flavius she drops the crown.

It bounces with a hollow ringing sound and rolls to Emeraldo's feet.

Nerwen walks over and picks it up, moving it in her hands pensively while she waits for the Emperor to speak.

Turning to Sarick she says quietly,

Whatever he says, his fate is not ours to decide. We should turn him over to the other Emperors for trial.

Can anyone remember what our quest completion reward was supposed to be?

Do we still get it even though the quest giver is a filthy rotten betrayer? (again!!!)

Edited by Chromeknight

6953020564_bcfdb4fc5f_t.jpg

"Not concerned about my reasons? I am disappointed in you, noble paladin. You wish to simply dismiss anyone who disagrees with you? You don't want to hear what they have to say? That's too bad, because your going to hear it anyway. Still, I cannot believe you call yourself a hero. Executioner would be more fitting."

He stood and turned to De'kra and Sarick. "Yes, why. For many reasons, some you may never be able to comprehend. Now listen up, all of you, for this will go down in history."

"I betrayed my fellow emperors because they betrayed justice and freedom. Since the purging of the Lion Knights from this empire centuries ago, we have always treated our citizens fairly. Now Dastan is a thriving empire, with many different races and people within its borders. You may have only encountered a few of them, but many are unhappy with the way the other emperors have been treating them. The Tethusials, which you may or may not have met, are an aquatic species of Dastan. Naturally, they require a certain amount of water to survive, and we won't give it to them. Alandri, Septrine, and other people in power argue that such a species doesn't belong in a place like Dastan. They should just move from this dry and arid place, they say. But I disagree. Build a river, I say. Put our strongest men to it. Climate should not be enough to stop anyone from living in our great empire, though the unwillingness to do anything is. And the Tethusials know this. They joined with the Rogue Lion Knights in attempt to get what they want. You heroes and the armies of Dastan have fought them, even though it was for their own survival."

"What I'm getting at here is that our empire is not as great as it once was. The Tethusials, Pongcanis, U'Kin, Rito, and other minorities are constantly denied the same freedoms and privileges of what some consider to be the 'higher' races. And even then, our people are denied in favor of the crown. I suppose you could say I turned on my allies for power, but for all the reasons my predecessors would consider to be the right ones. I was going to give the people exactly what they wanted, no matter the cost. And I had been very successful among the plebs. But no one else in power shared my views, so there was nothing I could do. Until the Lion Knights came along, and I had but one choice: to make the necessary changes by force. It is an option I would have avoided, but history shows that sometimes war is required for change."

"You see, I am a liberator of peoples. I aim to make our nation not only the greatest, but also the happiest and wealthiest. I will not let my people be treated unjustly. And I could not simply stand aside as our empires ancient greatness was squandered by this generation of emperors. I would not go down in history as the one who destroyed it. Which is why I had to have the other emperors removed... forcibly, at it turned out. I would have had the Rogue Lion Knights and the Assassins to thank for that, if it weren't for you."

"Those of you still wondering about my actions -" he shot a look at Cronk "-are probably still confused about why I even brought you heroes to Dastan in the first place. All for a purpose, as I am sure you were hoping. I had you eliminate the cultists in that cave when first arrived here, above the town of Voulun, because they were as much of a nuisance to me and the citizens of Dastan as they were for our beloved Alandri and Septrine. Sacrificing people to rise some ancient god... preposterous. So you see I am not all bad, as you might think. As for our visit in Dragonclaw, I had you retrieve medical supplies. They were originally intended for the front lines, but of course I had to do my part in allowing the Rogue Lions to cross into our borders. I took the medical supplies and prevented them from ever getting to the Dastan armies, and it was the poor, brave soldiers that died for this cause. It is unfortunate, but they should not have served under Alandri and Septrine. All part of the plan, however. And then we took you to that fort, Drakon, to retrieve weapons. Yes, that was to leave the last defense of Dastan before Drakencourt itself powerless. Well, they weren't actually expecting an attack there, but it all happened so quickly..." he grinned. "It would also equip my army as well as the Rogue Lion Knights. Unfortunately, I did not realize that the other emperors had hired heroes of Heroica as well. My loyal bodyguard, Russel, fled to tell me, when we fled. We knew it wouldn't be long before you figured it out."

"Now you're probably wondering why I didn't run in the first place. I could've been very far away by the time you had realized I was a traitor, but instead I returned to Drakencourt. And I could have slipped away just now while you were fighting in the other room. I could have easily fled Drakencourt and Dastan among the confusion. But I didn't. You see, that is not my purpose. Power, or even survival, were not my main objections. It was all about telling the people that things don't have to be the way they are. I think the devastation caused here today has successfully conveyed that message. Those who believe in something other than what their masters tell them will rise up, just as we have, to take what is theirs. This may have been the first rebellion in Dastan since the Lion Knights' purge, but it certainly won't be the last. I guarantee it. My efforts will go down in history, and people will remember this day. Justice will be served."

"One more thing, heroes. What I believe and what you believe may be two different things, but there is no wrong or right. You're driven by some sense of loyalty to your employers (which I've turned upside down for you), while I am driven by justice. Do not make the mistake in thinking that what they teach you at the hall gives you any higher standing among gods, or men."

"I have said what I've needed to say, my fate is meaningless now."

DSCN0059-1.jpg

"Normally he would be tried for treachery and mass murder, and most likely hung, but I'd say the circumstances are a little bit different right now. The Dastan Empire was just at the brink of destruction, and right now I don't think anything will be the same. The lives lost, as well as collateral damage and political repercussions, will need tending to. And we're still not sure of any other spies or traitors in our midst, so a normal trial is unlikely. Heroes, you and I are the only ones to have heard what this man has to say. Considering that you also helped save Dastan itself, I believe that you are the only ones qualified to make the right decision here. Roland Emeraldo's fate is up to you..."

What will the heroes do?

QM Note: This is an all-inclusive decision, so each one of you needs to speak up (Flavius and Denerii don't really have a decision, though you're welcome to roleplay what they do have to say). Please discuss among yourselves, and each of you bold your decision.

Xander listened to what the emperor had to say. Speaking up, he began: "I am not a man of much wisdom, but I do what I believe is best for the majority. I think you are a man that has a grand, yet unobtainable plan; what you say is true, all peoples of Dastan should be represented by the establishment they live under. However, your means of proving this point was both reckless and ill conceived. What has been done cannot be undone -- however, the future of Dastan has yet to be decided. Civilizations cannot survive with a select few making decisions; laws must be agreed upon by the majority."

Pausing to breath, Xander continued in a more resolute tone. "What you have done has led to thousands of lost lives. The very people you were looking out for have perished. Dastan can continue to thrive, though it seems you have made your decision. I vote to banish Emperor Emeraldo from Dastan, never to return to the land again."

IC: De'kra's icy eyes gazed at the king for a long time, thinking careful as memories flooded through him. Finally he clicked, "You are not best summerizer, though your words have truth. We call ourselves heroes, but what are we? More often than not "heroes" are hired warriors, used to settle disputes. Honestly we can not hold moral ground for your crimes, each and everyone of we has kill before. All quests have require heroes to kill, expect maybe Quest 3. If what you say is true, you kill for freedom, but we kill for payment."

The echo twitched slightly as he continued, "But that still not make what you did right. You have weaken your country by this war. Yes revolution might come, and maybe new order will respect all races equally. But in meantime Dastan's armies are decimate, its capital damage. How many people will be homeless because of war? How well can empire protect its people and maintain order? Oppression is bad, but if Uland example to judge by tons of bandits could exist on Dastan, and now will be less protect against. You may have want to protect you people, but this action weaken them."

"I personally agree," the echo stated, "People divide not able to stand. Only through unity and common duty can they achieve their true potential, their destiny. And world should be like that. In Uland commoners can be murder and no one care, and houses can start wars merely for profit. It not right. Olegaia is world of madness, where youth die among trash and people get dangerously obsess and single person. Luve and tyranny haunt this world, and I sometimes wish corrupt leaders would just go away."

"But thing is," De'kra concluded, "you can not hurt your people to save your people. That kind of think leads right back to tyranny, right back to oppression. And despite this world's flaws, you sometimes meet true heroes. Heroes who are better than Olegaia, heroes who might improve it. I am glad to have been here and some such heroes. But mass kill not fix this crazy planet, that only continue order of madness. Only way to fix Olegaia, is to break circle of violence."

"And that why we can not kill Rolando," said De'kra, "It would only continue madness. Rolando was popular and people of Dastan, we saw that early in quest. Heroes kill him for emperors, it will only weaken faith in empire. And if what he say is true, he at least meant to protect his people. No, he cannot be kill. Perhaps no one should be kill. But he would not be easy to imprision, he could be free if he contain in any known prison. And imprison him in secret might cause further loss of faith in empire. Banishment not work, he could return one day, perhaps and new army of hire help or perhaps by Dastan aiders. But...Rito live far away in remote mountains. Rito not bow to emperors, and they are strong force. They known only in legend, most avoid them, though I not sure why. Just look at them, they are glorious. More to point, Rito could contain him. That way he close enough to be watch, and far away not to be threat. And perhaps by Rito imprison Rolando for empire, contact between both would have to continue and remain positive. It might lead to improve relations between Rito and emperors, which might get people to think about other races treatment. Maybe I overestimate spirits of this world, but it hope. And I will grasp at that.."

"Not concerned about my reasons? I am disappointed in you, noble paladin. You wish to simply dismiss anyone who disagrees with you? You don't want to hear what they have to say? That's too bad, because your going to hear it anyway. Still, I cannot believe you call yourself a hero. Executioner would be more fitting."

Do not lecture Cronk on virtue or nobility. Why just moments ago, Cronk help save princess from monsters. Monsters working with Roland.

However noble Roland believed Roland's reasons were, terrible bloodshed has occurred. Roland's allies were assassins and a demented witch. Roland cannot pretend that this was only way to accomplish noble ends. Bloody revolution not good way to solve problems. Especially when "allies" not trustworthy and just as likely to slit Roland's throat after overthrowing other emperors.

Roland was powerful man. Wealthy. Build own damn river. Use influence over people to bring about change peacefully. Cronk will not pretend it would have been easy or swift. But Cronk believes it would have been possible and it would have been right way to do it.

How many people dead through Roland's actions? Where is Russel? What happen to beings Roland claim to care for?

Cronk not want to kill Roland. Cronk think Roland pitiful. Roland was delusional if Roland thought Roland could accomplish noble goals through war and assassination. But what kind of life is imprisonment either? Could Roland find a new life if Roland went to live with Rito?

Normally I write Nerwen's words in colour, but since it's such a massive wall of text, I've broken my own guideline so I don't hurt anyone's eyes.

And thanks JB for getting me to dig out my college textbooks on ethics in writing this response. I always knew Nerwen was a talkative person, but giving her a platform to make speeches? Hopefully people don't just skip past it...

Nerwen stood to the side, able to see the Emperor, recumbent on the rubble and the other heroes.

As she spoke she toyed with the crown in her hands, turning it around and over, drawing a deep breath, she said

Emperor Emeraldo. You misunderstand my friend the orc. It is not that he disagrees with you that he dismisses your reasons, but he believes that one's actions are the standard of judgement. More specifically the consequences of one's actions. As you can see by looking around, some of your actions have lead to death and destruction. You yourself have placed yourself as executioner of people whom you should instead have shepherded.

I expect that you would grasp such a position. You seem to espouse the same values. If you had succeeded you likely expected the Empire to have lauded your actions, regardless of the casualties along the way. You claim that the end you were working for, the justice you sought excuses any method to bring about its eventuality.

That may be so. But you have failed to bring about the justice you claim to have pursued.

Unlike friend Cronk though, I believe your motives matter.

I can see in your words the ideas that propelled you to this course of action. I know that as a human you would have been impatient and heedless of the bigger picture. Perhaps you are merely just a trigger, a small note in a grander symphony of Dastan. That all this would have happened as the various groups you mention oppose their oppression and marginalization. Does that excuse you? Surely not. More, it condemns you utterly. As wearer of the crown you had a duty to fulfill, to govern well. Now, I do not know the mechanisms of your triumvirate, what degree of independence you were each allowed, but it sounds as if you spoke and your words failed to convince your fellow Emperors. You have failed your duty, but that alone does not warrant death, perhaps.

It is sad and somewhat ironic that you would not wish to go down in history as the one who destroyed the empire, but that is what will probably happen. History is written by winners, and you lost. You have reflected on why you lost and have identified it correctly. You lost because we opposed you.

But why should we have opposed you when, at least some of us, agree with the virtues you espouse and the values you hold, if disagreeing on methods? You know why we opposed you, we were not given a choice.

Nerwen paused, her voice sharper.

You lied to us.

And your state here is a direct result of that cowardice and timidity.

You brought us here under false pretences, claiming to be protecting the empire from the lions. You did not lay out your case to us, show us the oppression of those not in the majority. Instead you weaseled and connived. You told us a bare minimum and sought to manipulate us.

Looking around at the others Nerwen continued.

Some might not have joined you in your efforts at justice, but we will never know. You who claim to love equality and choice, to hold all persons equal have not extended the same courtsey to us. Do you wonder then why we doubt your commitment to these virtues?

Instead of speaking, pleading, you ran. Yes we had figured it out. That was the time to put your case, not now when so many are dead and so much is broken. Yet you are pleased with your own actions there.

Nerwen shook her head...

And now you forsee a grand future for your empire, as it divides against itself in civil unrest, with uprising after uprising following. For what will happen with your crown? The others will appoint another to take it, one who will be beholden to them. And then there will be no voice for the others in the councils of the high, but more oppression, made sharper as innocents are blamed for the destruction wrought today. One day, justice may indeed flower, but it will not be soon and it will not be born from your deeds. As one who as walked the ashes of the Kingdom of Ennon, I guarantee you that.

A small sigh escaped Nerwen as the pull of memories nearly overtook her.

And what do they teach us in the hall? I recall no lessons. If there were such things we would all be agreed, all think the same. We do not. Your true view of us at last shines through. We are as 'lesser' to you as the Rito are to others. And you feign indifference at your fate, truly? you would be a rare man indeed if it were really so. But you are not indifferent, just as you do not simply believe there is no wrong or right. You stood up for what you thought was right. And so have many others. That you have come to blows does not negate the idea of right, instead it bares the need for civilised ways to discuss and work out differences, rather than running and manipulating.

I am an Elf. Created by Galadrya and Celebryon. They desire concord, order, and civilisation. They inspire art and music and the building of beautiful things, like this palace, this empire, once was. The gods do not tell me what right and wrong is, they have made me to recognise these things myself. And I know that they are not the only gods, but I am theirs and I could no more not be than you could fly like a Rito or breathe underwater like a tethusai. Know that when I make my decision, it comes from who I am.

Nerwen bowed her head for a moment, eyes closed.

Turning to Nikolai she said

We have heard what the Emperor has had to say. Others should hear as well. Voices should not be silenced, regardless of their crimes. Nikolai, you served this man for longer than any of us have known him, you know he speaks the truth about the state of the empire before the lions returned. Yet you seek to wash your hands of him and have us decide.

I stand by what I have said all along. These things can not, should not be decided by a small group in a side corridor. Emeraldo is not without flaws, but he is not without virtue either. But who here can claim they themselves are otherwise? Those that would take his life for treason are not here, even though they could be easily. They have forfetted the right to this man's life in exchange for his crimes. Equally he can not remain in Dastan. I suggest we escort him to the border where he can travel to the country of his choosing, perhaps explore, free from the weight of a crown and pursue justice from below rather than seeking to impose it from above.

Nerwen stopped, looking around at the others.

What say you all?

I feel like this is the end of quest 13 all over again. Quest giver is really the baddie and we have to decide.

I wish there was an international criminal court we could hand him over to...

At this point, I'm not fussed about the reward, I just don't want another failed quest on my record!

Denarii cocked her head listening to the words of De'kra and Cronk.

We've the place to hold him, sure, unless he can fly.

But how long before the other Emperors got together an army and came and got him?

Yes, Roland spoke about leaving us alone in our mountains, but now we see he is as bad as the others, we want nothing to do with any of them! And you heroes tricked us. We were right, we should never have gotten involved!

Denarii turned her back on the heroes and began taking care of Flavius again.

Nerwen is indeed wise. Perhaps if Roland lived life like Roland's subjects, Roland would realize what destruction Roland has wrought through Roland's impatience and arrogance. Roland might realize what Roland has made Roland's people sacrifice. And maybe Roland might try to seek true justice and nobility on Roland's travels.

Cronk would agree to exile Roland.

IC: De'kra paused, his mind grappling with something. Finally he clicked to Deneii, "I...can fathom that a little. I apologize for any deceit we have done, and for time you have spent fight here, not to mention injuries you suffer in help Team. I know not if you people use Uland currency, I people barely use anything like currency, but if you want I am will to give you 115 gold. You two fought and Team, it not fair that Flavius suffer so much, and neither of you get anything to ake up for it. At least I can offer you this, though it not make up for anything."

Glancing back at the group, he chirped, "I will agree to banish him as well."

Galen listened and listened while both sides exchanged views. Finally he stepped forward and spoke.

"I will be brief, as I agree with my friends who have just spoken. Emperor, your ambitions are noble but your means are ill-chosen. You attempted to obtain justice for all by violence and cunning, plotting and treason. While you may think that it was a fair price to pay in order to achieve a greater good, I believe that it discredits both yourself as a leader and the nobility of your ideas. If you can't be fair in your pursuit of justice, if your can't show understanding in your fight against xenophobia, then you don't have the right to preach and lead. Step aside and let those who are strong enough not to use violence to find solutions to the inequalities in your Empire. Go away and let your people tend to their wounds. The Empire, despite its imperfections, is better off without you."

I vote to exile Emperor Rolando.

Thank you hatchling, but you are right, we have no use for your coin. Your thanks do better though.

Nerwen, who had been silent for a while, spoke.

Whilst you are in a talkative mood, there are still questions to be answered. Tell us about your connection to the assassins. And to Lady Wren. Tell us more about the U'kin.

Edited by Chromeknight

Roland listened to each of the heroes speak, grinning wickedly as he did so. He obviously did not agree with what they were saying, but did not argue further. He only spoke when Nerwen asked questions.

"The assassins were a mere tool to remove certain obstacles from our goal. Their leader was that Lady Wren, and though I never met her or planned anything with her, I knew she had ulterior motives. The U'Kin? A minority species in Dastan, also fighting for their freedom. They were divided, one leader named U'Stus tried to solve things nonviolently, and another, U'Vires, who you met in the palace did things a little more forcefully. U'Stus was unsuccessful in gaining freedom for his people, and now he is dead."

QM Note: Just waiting on Xarrzan, then we can wrap things up.

IC: De'kra turned around and clicked, "Sometimes dead more significant than live. I know deaths that have push guilt ridden heroes to stand up, and face monsters more evil and powerful than you are likely to see in your lifetime. Monsters that eat gods. Hopefully U'Kin smart enough to be rallied fight back and peace, because after this Dastan will probably crack down on more violent protests. Either way, what happens next is up to you. Whether you repeat this, or leave in solitude, that your choice. If no other hero want to change mind, or if leader has no comment, I think we are done and this fool."

The Echo began to walk away, to look over the damage city through his own blue eyes.

"If you had won, then the assassinsss would have gained more power and would have held that against you. Constance did not make it to this climactic conclusion, neither did some of the soldiers outside. I do not agree with giving special treatment to individualsss just because they are an official, fiefdom lord or emperor. I vote we excute him and be on our way."

Sarick felt joy radiating from the Dragon's Heart sword.

Edited by Xarrzan

"If you had won, then the assassinsss would have gained more power and would have held that against you. Constance did not make it to this climactic conclusion, neither did some of the soldiers outside. I do not agree with giving special treatment to individualsss just because they are an official, fiefdom lord or emperor. I vote we excute him and be on our way."

Sarick felt joy radiating from the Dragon's Heart sword.

IC: As he looked at the city, De'kra's eyes shifted to default orange yellow. "I agree, his life is worth no more than soldiers we masacure like s-spiders," the echo clicked in a sad voice, "But I fear what his death might bring. He was popular among his people, we saw that in that town. People who also want change might see him as martyr, slain by emperor's hire thugs. And honestly, I think enough people die this day. Heroica does itself no favors to mass murder everyone who disagree and it. But at least all those soldiers were attack we, and we were defend Team. But to kill him would kill unarm foe. And his words are no weapons. I can respect your decision, it just not mine."

given your speech about justice and seeking it, I would have expected you were working closely with U'stus. But it seems not. Nikolai himself was a target, yet here he stands, silently supporting your aims, if not your methods. Constance was framed as a traitor. A traitor to whom? Surely she was your loyal soldier. Shall I go on?

What of Alandri? Younger than you or Septrine, with less military power, was he so impossible to sway to your counsels that non-violent change was impossible?

And how did you not know there were other heroes about? That fact was advertised freely in Eubric, in the hall. You at least have an agent there to have posted the request for heroes originally, will you blame them or did you lie about your ignorance?

Your testimony is needed Nikolai. Do you stand by Emeraldo's aims? His actions? Do you stand by him as a man?

Nerwen is unsettled by grin that seems like trouble.

Cronk! That grin is evil, even if Emeraldo isn't. Perhaps you should bash his grin.

Sarick saw the team's decision clearly, it was to exile the traitor emperor. An emotion he rarely felt started to boil up inside of him, rage.

"This 'man' let far too many people die for us let him to walk away. The majority turned against Constance and that was not the right decision. Exiling him is not the right decision either."

Sarick's tail coiled around the hilt of the Dragon's Heart sword as fire and wind began to billow around the blade. His arms were used to wielding staves, not heavy swords but maybe his tail was strong enough.

"He is against the dragons so I am against him! I was her partner for so many years! And this man contributed to her death! We will not let him live! We will not let him leave!"

With that, Sarick attempted to decapitate Roland with the Dragon's Heart sword.

Edited by Xarrzan

Appalled by what appeared to him like a sword taking control over Sarick's actions, Galen attempts to stop him by throwing his bedroll at Sarick.

DSCN0059-1.jpg

"Actions cannot go unpunished. I agree, while his cause might have been noble, his methods weren't. In his efforts he left a wake of carnage, and that is simply not the way we do things in a civilized nation. It seems that the consensus is to banish Roland from Dastan. A reasonable and well thought-out solution, heroes. With the Rito at our side and the rebellion crushed, I don't think he will be a threat. We shall send an escort with him to the borders of the Babeleth Darklands."

"Very well heroes. Farewell... for now."

He gave off a small chuckle. Dastanian troops entered the room to arrest him. Suddenly, Sarick tried to lift Dragon's Heart to cut off Roland's head. However, unused to the weight of a sword, the mage struggled long enough for Galen to react, throwing his bedroll to knock the naga over. Dragon's Heart fell to the floor with a loud clang.

DSCN0059-1.jpg

"I'm afraid I cannot let you do that. Though I gave the choice to you, you cannot simply become an executioner. If you wanted to have him killed you should have left it to us to deal with. But the majority of you wish to see him exiled, and I think that is a wise choice. Dastan has witnessed enough death today, we must be righteous."

Roland gave Sarick a knowing look, then turned to exit with the soldiers.

DSCN0059-1.jpg

"And now heroes, we have other matters to attend to. Please, follow me."

The party followed Nikolai out of the palace. Soldiers and clerics bustled about, tending to the wounded and cleaning up the bodies that littered the streets. Blood and feathers covered the ground, but neither the Rito nor the Rogue Lion Knights were anywhere to be seen. Large silhouettes could be seen flying in the sky, circling a nearby mountain and above the palace. Dragons!

7790138820_50ab46caa3_z.jpg

DSCN0059-1.jpg

"Vipera tells me that his ancient species has returned. We have proven to the dragons that perhaps their time, and ours, is long from over. The Dragon Knights will rule the skies once again, and no rebellion will be brave enough to face us."

Two soldiers carrying a chest hurried up the road. Nikolai opened it, holding six sacks of 200 gold.

"Your reward, the same amount promised to you by Emeraldo, I believe. For all your efforts, fighting the rebellion and rooting out this traitor. We would like to give you more, but our finances will be tight in the coming seasons, rebuilding. I hope you can understand that. We are forever in your debt, heroes. Good luck on your future travels."

Nikolai, Denerii, and Flavius stood, ready to bid farewell. Are the heroes ready to depart?

IC: De'kra nodded to Nikolai in thanks and clicked, "May the three virtues guide you." The echo departed from the room, ready to return to Uland.

Edited by Tanma

Galen looked at Sarick uneasily.

"I'm sorry Sarick, but you were speaking strange words. It wasn't you anymore. I'm not sure what happened back there but I didn't see you wielding a sword, I saw a sword wielding you."

He then turned to Nikolai.

"Thank you for your generosity, I'm surprised that you could even afford to pay us after what your country has gone through. Good luck rebuilding your Empire, and may you enjoy peace for the foreseeable future."

Denarii looked at the shapes lazily circling in the sky.

Her mouth was open as she stared in wonder, and no small amount of fear.

Dragons!

When Nerwen stepped beside her to say her good byes, Denarii turned her back on the elf.

Snake man was right. He should've died. Now he'll just lurk like a rock-fox on the edge of camp, snatching at eggs.

Nerwen bowed her head.

I am sorry. I am not from this land. We were asked to choose and I had to choose out of who I am. It has been an honour and privilege fighting beside you. If there is anything that I can ever do for you, simply send word. I will stand by you.

Denarii, as changeable as the winds she rides, turned and fiercely hugged Nerwen, surprising the usually contained and aloof woman.

You brought us out to see the world! And shoot baddies! And collect shineys! (said while opening her bag to show Nerwen some choice glittering objects she had pocketed) And see dragons!

Denarii took a shimmering red feather from one of the side pockets and gave it to Nerwen.

I saw you summon that bird on the mountain before we came here. This'll help you summon a phoenix if you want to send me a message. Fly true, elf-lady.

Nerwen couldn't suppress a smile as she accepted the gift, and the words.

Denarii bounced over to Xander, punching him in the arm before reaching De'kra.

Crouching down so her face was level with his she said in soft tones.

Stay safe hatchling. I know your spirit longs to soar on the wind. One day it will, don't be afraid of the first leap. With that said she handed De'kra a small object, carefully covering it so that none but her and he saw what it was.

Stepping back, she ran toward Flavius, wings spreading as she went, he leapt to her as she cleared the ground and they began spiraling into the air overhead.

Nerwen stood, arm raised.

Good bye she breathed quietly.

Turning to Nikolai she accepted the 200 coin pouch.

Reaching into the satchel, she pulled out Emeraldo's crown.

I suspect that if you crown a new Emperor he'll want a new crown, that everything associated with Emeraldo will, in time, be erased. So unless you object, I will keep this.

Nodding at Sarick.

I am ready to leave.