Lasse D

Lasse's Model Team Construction Yard

I still marvel at how you manage to turn two functions into 3, very clever design. Would you mind showing a few more views of the mechanism?

tim

Cheers.

Here the moving parts are shown isolated and I have tilted the clicker arm so you can see where it touches the input gear.

construction2.png

This will all be part of the instructions for this model.

Edited by Lasse D

I have made a CAD model of the frame from the new Scania truck to show how the steering works. Unfortunately there are no CAD models of the new motors so I had to improvise.

This is how I made the steering work while making the wheel arches minimal. I would prefer to use a smaller cog than the 24 tooth gear in the front as it makes the ground clearance really small compared to the rest of the vehicle.

construction4.png

construction5.png

Edited by Lasse D

I have constructed some new parts which has allowed me to build the model with the correct colors of all the parts:

highline_instructions2.png

To compare with the real machine:

scania_r420_4x2_highline.jpg

I will try to construct some alternatives as discussed earlier in this thread for comparison.

Update. Here are some alternatives. Unfortunately they all add a bit too much of width, but I really like the effect of the last two alternatives

First is my own first guess of how to make the aero parts:

cowl1.png

Next are two attempts at making sloped parts as Alasdair suggests:

cowl2.png

cowl3.png

Edited by Lasse D

Looks great,I prefer the last one.:classic:

All we need now is some different axle configurations.:thumbup:

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

Looks great,I prefer the last one.:classic:

All we need now is some different axle configurations.:thumbup:

The last one looks the best. :classic:

Great. Then you should incorporate that easy mod if you want to build your own (and in a different color because the 2x4 slope does not exist in orange, yet)

Build your own?

Yep. I just finished the building instructions!

ScaniaHighline_0_27.png

Now it's time for that trailer and container.

Edited by Lasse D

Oh, I will. Some very kind gentleman gave me a set of the new motors with me promising to make good use of them and bring the results to Skærbæk. I have him to thank for being able to introduce such a substantial upgrade to the Scania.

There will be more trucks like it as soon as I get my hands on more motors.

I love the Scania Lasse, really good work. I am going to copy it one day :thumbup::classic:

Thanks man, please do. And please improve it like I know you guys are famous for :thumbup:

When did you last check the front page of Eurobrick's Lasse?:blush:

It is defiantly were it belongs.:thumbup:

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

All the creations have been absolutely blast to see but those WIP pictures you have sent have been the most interesting pics in the whole thread for me. I recently read through the whole thread and it amazed me how much thought, time and design you do to make these fantastic trucks.

One question came to me when I was watching your progress, thought: How much you balance between Model Team and TECHNIC in each creation? It seems that your trucks are more like "Model Team with bit more TECHNIC bits" than "TECHNIC trucks with Model Team outlook". By this I mean that you don't seem to strive to technical details (lack of suspension comes to my mind) but to have more balanced outcome. So, it would be interesting to hear your thoughts about this balance.

BTW: Have you thought about the lack of Ackermann steering geometry in your trucks? The most recent Scania has it bit better but older ones seemed to lack the geometry. I hate to toot my own horn but I have once installed Ackermann steering for smaller creation (8169 Lamborghini Gallardo to be exact) and it seemed to work nicely for the scale. Of course, this set up takes bit more space and has more potential for errors than yours but still, I think it might be interesting thing to test for you. Oh and I have to say that I did not come up with this geometry all by myself, it is based on experiments done by members in Nicjasno.com's former forum.

Yes i will Lasse, i like it very much. I might turn it into a pimped Longline R-series, hauling some 20ft containers.

It might be a nice ride for Lego Fanwelt in November. I am glad you have a partlist so I can sort a bit.

Here is a good example:

7678865578_694c70b4e2_c.jpg

When did you last check the front page of Eurobrick's Lasse?:blush:

It is defiantly were it belongs.:thumbup:

Nice. I didn't see that (only checking it once a month). This explains the surge of visitors!

All the creations have been absolutely blast to see but those WIP pictures you have sent have been the most interesting pics in the whole thread for me. I recently read through the whole thread and it amazed me how much thought, time and design you do to make these fantastic trucks.

I'm glad you like it. The whole purpose is to get people with me into Model Team again, being it 1:22 (Ralph et. al. scale) or 1:25 (Classic LEGO scale).

One question came to me when I was watching your progress, thought: How much you balance between Model Team and TECHNIC in each creation? It seems that your trucks are more like "Model Team with bit more TECHNIC bits" than "TECHNIC trucks with Model Team outlook". By this I mean that you don't seem to strive to technical details (lack of suspension comes to my mind) but to have more balanced outcome. So, it would be interesting to hear your thoughts about this balance.

I do as much technic as possible because it's light, sturdy and uses very few parts (not counting pins and pegs). Then I try to cover it as much as possible. I have also begun to cover most studs as this gives a cleaner and more modern look.

BTW: Have you thought about the lack of Ackermann steering geometry in your trucks? The most recent Scania has it bit better but older ones seemed to lack the geometry. I hate to toot my own horn but I have once installed Ackermann steering for smaller creation (8169 Lamborghini Gallardo to be exact) and it seemed to work nicely for the scale. Of course, this set up takes bit more space and has more potential for errors than yours but still, I think it might be interesting thing to test for you. Oh and I have to say that I did not come up with this geometry all by myself, it is based on experiments done by members in Nicjasno.com's former forum.

I agree, and I would love to see you come up with some trucks with different steering geometries :wink:

If you make a nice truck with an .mpd file I would also love to add it to the web-site (full credits to you, links and all)

This applies for everyone. If you have a nice Model Team mod or MOC, then let's get it up there!

I experiment with steering geometries in order to save space. Back in the days (nearly a decade ago) I unknowingly used (reverse) Ackermann steering for my wrecker (and I'm planning on reintroducing Ackermann steering for my next truck, but that's still a secret):

styr1s.jpgstyr2s.jpg

Yes i will Lasse, i like it very much. I might turn it into a pimped Longline R-series, hauling some 20ft containers.

It might be a nice ride for Lego Fanwelt in November. I am glad you have a partlist so I can sort a bit.

Here is a good example:

(img)

Now that's more like it when I think of trucks from your hand! This layout should be very good for traction and you have some really nice planes for decorations. I will look forward to see what can c®ome out of this :sweet:

Edited by Lasse D

Very great models and I'd love to build all of them. Many thanks for sharing those instructions!

Is there an opportunity to get an XML file of the parts list so that it can be imported to bricklink (as Wanted List)? Maybe I just missed it. Otherwise it would be great if this could be implemented to your website!

Very great models and I'd love to build all of them. Many thanks for sharing those instructions!

Is there an opportunity to get an XML file of the parts list so that it can be imported to bricklink (as Wanted List)? Maybe I just missed it. Otherwise it would be great if this could be implemented to your website!

Yes I agree,this would be a good idea so it is easyer for people to get the right parts to buld your truck's.:classic:

Wow you are definitely a way better builder than I am I sure do wish I had your talent KEEP MAKING GREAT MODELS :classic:

(...)

That is an excellent idea! I already have the Bricklink part names and colors, so I just have to learn their XML-format.

I see we are both exhibiting at Fanwelt Lasee, would be nice to have that crossover.

Unfortunately I don't whether I will actually be there. Usually I just send GBC modules and I don't know if I will get the time this year. I will, however, be at Skærbæk (LEGO Fan Weekend) and I can see there are a lot of 1:13'ers being exhibited there.

Congrats on making the frontpage Lasse. :thumbup: I'm looking forward to building your new truck in the near future, it will look great along side my 5580 set. :classic:

Wow you are definitely a way better builder than I am I sure do wish I had your talent KEEP MAKING GREAT MODELS :classic:

Just build a lot and you will become just as good :wink:

Congrats on making the frontpage Lasse. :thumbup: I'm looking forward to building your new truck in the near future, it will look great along side my 5580 set. :classic:

Thanks. Have you considered my version of the 5580 which fits together with all the trailers I make?

5580_c.png

UPDATE

I have added Bricklink XML partslists to all the instructions now. You can even configure the lists by yourself (email notification, comments, new or old elements and so on).

http://c-mt.dk/instructions/

I also finished a new container trailer prototype and will post an update with it soon.

Edited by Lasse D