My 9398 arrived today and I started building within 10 mins. after the postman left. I think the steering should need some improvement so it can take narrower bends/curves. It looks really great with the bigger Ansmann tyres, now see if I can find some nice tyres for the PP-rims. I want to build the B-model soon and try to make some changes with that so it looks more like a Dakar-truck.

For those of you who are intrested, M4X1994 just uploaded an unboxing of the 9398:

This link off M4X1994 is so bad that you don't wand to see this unboxing,Sorry :sick:

I agree :)

Thanks David.

I hope that some people have to try a little bit more time to make some better photo's or video's from there works.

What I mean is don,t post every photo and video's you take, only the sharp one.

For example two photo's, and i no who's take the sharp picture, he have a very cheap and small camera, but take's his time to makes his pictures. :wink:

9396m06.jpg

7709137926_17ddefb1cb.jpg

Edited by VFracingteam

Proper RCs like the nitros and the high end electrics are awesome, some reaching over 100mph! Lego can bearly reach 10 mph (the crawler does what? 1mph?!) which puts it's RCs sqarely in the realm of toys for under 5 year olds! RC can add to the technic experience, but only a tiny bit. Technic CANNOT do RC well like HPI can. It NEVER will. If RC is what you want, don't buy technic. The unimog shows what technic does best, better than anything else. The crawler (whilst giving us a servo, which i'm very greatful for) shows what technic does worse than anyone else (RC) without having anything else up it's sleeve (like mechanicle authenticity, realism and complexity).

RC crawlers are much slower but your point still stands in that they are more capable (and more expensive) than the Lego crawler. But so what? If you're into RC then buy RC. If you're into Lego then buy lego. If you're into both then but it anyway to see how both of your hobbies come together.

I have a scale ish crawler for outdoors, and a mini rock crawler for indoors, but when I saw this Lego set it was an instant must-buy

Edited by mrklaw

For those of you who like something with more speed, you can build this with only the parts from the 9398:

Really nice. What were your main changes?

Haven't built mine yet but can I just use a speed controller straight off, no changes to the model needed?

Really nice. What were your main changes?

Haven't built mine yet but can I just use a speed controller straight off, no changes to the model needed?

Yes you can, only to stear to center you must stear it yourself back.

RC crawlers ... are more capable (and more expensive) than the Lego crawler.

Much, much more expensive. When I quit I had about $10,000 worth of tools and parts just for RC, on top of a standard home workshop. By comparison, building a bicycle is trivial and cheap. Plus Lego is much cleaner and easier to tidy up from, as well as less toxic and cheaper to run. The advantages are numerous. But I would say that, since I've made to switch *to* Lego.

Now that I'm building the set, does it bug anyone else that there are so many places they could have said "2x" or "4x", rather than just spamming out 10 pages of instructions twice. It looks to me as though the front and rear wheel assemblies are identical, making the second copy of those instructions a bit of a waste of my time and their paper.

Yes you can, only to stear to center you must stear it yourself back.

Or hit the red stop button on the speed controller - that recenters the servo motor immediately.

Yours!!??. i think this no diff mod is as old as the way to Rome :laugh:

Maybe :laugh:

That's my black chassis:

20120810075116.th.jpg

Ps: I know and I'm sure that with 8 billion people in the world, I'm not the only one with the same idea :tongue:

I have returned to building Lego just recently, about a month ago. My first set was 8109. It's the first LEGO I had in 10 years. I am 22 now. 9398 is my second.

I was unfortunate enough to buy general puprose batteries for it. On the second day of not so intensive usage, the speed and crawling ability of 9398 decreased greatly. Compared to relatively fresh 8109 battery box, the motors ran slow and were easy to stall.

Last night I tested the battery and what was left of it's charge to see how it's torque and speed will decrease over time. It lasted for about 1,5 hours before being completely unable to turn two PF L motors.

So yeah, voltage affects not just rotation speed, but torque too.

Thus, one should keep in mind what energy elements to choose.

9V standart batteries or 7,2V rechargeables?

What's your opinion?

Edited by Aahnold

I have returned to building Lego just recently, about a month ago. My first set was 8109. It's the first LEGO I had in 10 years. I am 22 now. 9398 is my second.

I was unfortunate enough to buy general puprose batteries for it. On the second day of not so intensive usage, the speed and crawling ability of 9398 decreased greatly. Compared to relatively fresh 8109 battery box, the motors ran slow and were easy to stall.

Last night I tested the battery and what was left of it's charge to see how it's torque and speed will decrease over time. It lasted for about 1,5 hours before being completely unable to turn two PF L motors.

So yeah, voltage affects not just rotation speed, but torque too.

Thus, one should keep in mind what energy elements to choose.

9V standart batteries or 7,2V rechargeables?

What's your opinion?

Rechargeables,2700 mah.

but as soon as I can ill buy the rechargeable battery box .. too bad its kinda expensive,anybody knows the reason?

and the 50$ don't even include a transformer ...

...anybody knows the reason?

and the 50$ don't even include a transformer ...

It's a lipo, ultralight. Ultrapower.

Rechargeables,2700 mah.

Don't chase for those numbers.

Do a research first.

What I've learned so far: rarely do rechargeables live up to these numbers. And even if they do, high number of mAh doesn't mean high Watts per hour or energy they can accumulate. There are many characteristics for batteries apart from mAh. Like internal electrical resistance, self-discharge rate, ability to hold high voltage over certain periods of usage...

Sanyo Eneloop are the best choice it seems. Top Japanese quality. Unfortunately we don't have those in Russia.

What boggers me is why there no 1,5V rechargeables.

As for LEGO battery box, don't know. Maybe it has something to do with low weight. But it's not like it's space or nano tech. And the DC transformer for $25? Nah, the reason is simple. To milk customers.

Edited by Aahnold

Are those Lithium batts rechargeable?

They wrote: "Capacidad : 3000mAh", so yes.

Ps: you can find on amazon with a lower price :thumbup: