Nuju Metru

LOTR Project: The Return of the King

Very much worth the wait - that set is both amazing and fairly realistic for LEGO to release. I would definitely buy this. :wub_drool: I can't wait to see what else you design.

Do you have a part count on it?

I have no idea how many pieces it is, and I don't want to be the one to count. :tongue:

This is by far your best set! Amazing! If this were an actual set, I'd buy it in a heartbeat! It's practically exactly what I was thinking of when I imagined how LEGO would make this set! Let's hope they do something as good as this! I love all the little rooms,reminds me of the most recent Hogwarts set.

Also, when should we expect to see the next set, and if you're unsure, could you hint at what it will be?

The next set might take some time to get finished and get posted. This one took so much out of me in terms of time and energy (and photo editing, that was a herculean effort alone). I know what all the sets are going to be, I've got them planned out... but you'll have to wait and see what it is!

That is a great build!! :oh: Love how realistic this looks!! I immediately was impressed by your figures, and I especially like your Denethor and Gothmog. I'm gonna have to look into your other sets...

I really like your work. Sadly, I doubt TLC would use as many tiles for any future trebuchets or catapults as you have, but we can always dream.

That said, I would especially love to battle packs of your Gondorian soldiers. I'd buy as many of those as my bank account could handle. :-)

I'd say, drop the fell beast and one trebuchey to jank the price point down.

Why do you put a bunch of the 2x2 jumper plates all over your sets? perosnaly I think it looks bad

Great job. You've really captured that Minas Tirith feel without making the set too big. Love the 2 trebuchets on the walls. If this was an actual set, an easy way to get the price down would be to parcel off the orcs and one wall section and treb into a separate set - uruk hai army style. Anyway - great work. Looking forward to seeing your next model.

PS. Still trying to find time to post up pics of my copy of your Edoras Meduseld model....

Brilliant MOC! Aside from the White Tree, you've done well to get this into Lego scale. It feels like there are seven levels. And the rock face is great.

My one criticism is also praise tbh :D The beacon is placed on a peak away from the city, but I think the place you put it works really well, and adds a play feature to a barren area, albeit well designed :)

Could you tell me where the Witch King's helmet is from?

People keep commenting there are too many minifigs, but I don't see it. Helm's Deep had 8 for $130 and the Death Star had 24 at $400, both right around 1 minifig per $16.50 spent on the sets. 14 figs at $250 seems pretty spot on.. maybe a little low if anything (1 per $17.85).

As for the set itself, I think it looks fantastic! Keep in mind people, he was trying to build this as a realistic Lego set, not some dream MOC that uses 10,000 bricks and no normal child (or most adults for that matter) could ever afford. My only suggestions would be to include the tree at the top and some detailing on the walls. I know you can't really make the detail bricks in white like Lego used on Helm's Deep, but I think them spotted all over would really make this set looks all the more better. Maybe you could of just used some stickers? The solid white walls just look a little plain imo..

Also as a way to lower price, which I suggested awhile back, you could break Minas Tirith into an upper and lower half. It appears the upper part has a lot more pieces so maybe make that like 160 and the lower walls 90 bucks? I would also ditch the Fel Beast (since you already have it in the Osgiliath set) and the catapults/trebuchets and make those into battle packs/army builders. They would be PERFECT as such. Say a trebuchet with 4 Gondor Soldiers for $14.99? And a catapult with Mordor Orcs for 14.99 as well? That way you could get rid of 2 trebuchets and a catapult and Fel Beast which all take up a lot of pieces and bring the price down at LEAST 40-50 bucks.

Definitely your best one to date. :thumbup: Way to utilize modular sets, this is both something that TLG would do for a real set and allows for customization. The intended combination looks very similar to the movie's Minas Tirith, as well. Really loving the Witch King and his steed, too. Overall I think this would be a very worthy flagship set for the official theme.

Amazing! Love the shape and size of it. :drool: The different rooms are definitely a big :thumbup:

Also as a way to lower price, which I suggested awhile back, you could break Minas Tirith into an upper and lower half. It appears the upper part has a lot more pieces so maybe make that like 160 and the lower walls 90 bucks?

Would that work for this set? It makes sense for Jabba's palace because the lower portion the Rancor Pit has a playable storyline in it's own right and is a self-contained room. Could you say the same for the lower half of the city?

It's a good argument. I dare-say that the design team at Lego has similar arguments on a daily basis, how to bring the cost of set down whilst retaining the essence of what they're trying to develop.

Wow, this is awesome! After seeing your past two projects, I can honestly say that I am really looking forward to the rest of your The Return of the King sets!

Great! I honestly look forward to seeing this in a shop near me soon, if TLG's designers have a sense of good product design. :laugh:

Also, I'd say Minas Tirith need be only one set, though an Uruk-Hai Army styled other set would add to the look as well.

Edited by Flobnomdob

I agree, I've love to have an Uruk Hai army style set to go with your Minas Tirith!

You could do like they did with Eomer and add an unique figure, maybe (though you already included most of the important ones already in your main set...)

I agree, I've love to have an Uruk Hai army style set to go with your Minas Tirith!

You could do like they did with Eomer and add an unique figure, maybe (though you already included most of the important ones already in your main set...)

Perhaps, rather than having an actual character, they could just have a Gondor soldier and a Guard of the Fountain Court. That way, with multiples of one set you don't end up with multiples of a specific character.

Wow! 'd happily take 2 of this as a set, very nicely done, and the details look great.

I'd buy this now, no question. Beautiful work.

One suggestion I have though for your set planning scheme wave would be to have the Witchking in a separate set and have in this set as a replacement Grond, the battering Ram they use on the main gate. ("Named for the hammer of the underworld of old...")

So you'd then have another different set with the Witchking with the brickbuilt Fellbeast versus Eowyn (and maybe Merry in armour). Maybe a horse for Eowyn and some scenery...

But this is a great looking set as is. I really liked all your other waves of sets too.

Edited by Magma

Sweet! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Only things I don't like are the catapults (too large for my taste), the fell beast (I'd prefer a hold rather than brick-build) and the tree. Would still buy it in a heartbeat! I think it's your second best so far (Edoras being number 1).

Great to see the next set! The colors you chose portray the "ghostly" setting perfectly :thumbup: Cool play functions too :classic:

Another great addition to the ROTK sets you made. :sweet: My favorite part has to be the skull dropper, but the entire set itself is great too.

About the Caverns of the Dead set:

I like it, but needs more meat on the bones (pun unintended!). Need at least 2 generic oathbreakers (ghostly soldiers) minifigures to go with the king.

Love the dropping skulls play feature! :laugh: