Lasse D

Lasse's Model Team Construction Yard

The second orange Scania has the best looking front so far. :thumbup: I'm not sure about the back of the truck though, I think the older version looked better, especially the lights (I like individual System lights more than round TECHNIC pieces) and the mudguards, but the coupling as well. I'm not sure if there's a way to make it more compact, maybe a black colour would help as well. The red liftarms look out of place to me. The licence plate looks big, did you use a 1x4 tile? I think a 1x3 will look better. Just ment to be constructive feedback. :classic:

Especially with a model like this, I still would use the rechargeable box since it's a more compact and less heavy.

The receiver on the side: have you added receivers on both sides?

Edited by Richie

Lasse, It was I who filmed the big red container crane you showed off.

And because I have gottan my inet's connection tripled from 1Mbit to 3Mbit then I will see if I can renember to reuploade it in full 1080p as it is strait for the dslr sometime late I a bit busy for the next few months.

http://youtu.be/1rIpJWeemPI

Video

Edited by jacobkristensen

Nice video.:sweet:

I had seen the shorter one already a while ago.

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

Here is the video.:sweet:

http://www.youtube.c...eature=youtu.be

(Soon)

My video is a per my principles free to see of everybody if they got the link. And I normaly disables YT comments and sometime I add link to the EB thread in the text description text field on YT. To keep the talk here on EB for serious afol where it belongs.

Nice video.:sweet:

I had seen the shorter one already a while ago.

eh? Posted by me? Because there is only one version my video filming the crane online on youtube as far as I know.

And it is not at nice video, I could have kicked the mother in her big butt, she just walked in front of my filming(and didn't trust her son nor the crane, I belive she was too cautious around Lasse's crane). And I don't recalling who was operating the crane then, either it was Lasse or a random kid.

But I had turn controlling it before I filmed, and I managed to control and raise up the crane with a contain without trouble. Then I went around around the show hall, and got back to film it and small talk with Lasse whom I didn't and still don't know.

Edited by jacobkristensen

I knew, it just anoyes me that I was in such a hurry that I din't grab. Detailed pictures of the crane, that could been useful for everybody if lasse had allow for posting them. Also my position compare to the dslr zoom was a perfect fit.

But I didn't shoot any shoot of the crane...:sing:

The second orange Scania has the best looking front so far. pirate_thumbup.gif I'm not sure about the back of the truck though, I think the older version looked better, especially the lights (I like individual System lights more than round TECHNIC pieces) and the mudguards, but the coupling as well. I'm not sure if there's a way to make it more compact, maybe a black colour would help as well. The red liftarms look out of place to me. The licence plate looks big, did you use a 1x4 tile? I think a 1x3 will look better. Just ment to be constructive feedback. :classic:

Especially with a model like this, I still would use the rechargeable box since it's a more compact and less heavy.

The receiver on the side: have you added receivers on both sides?

Thanks for the constuctive feedback. I agree that the aesthetics of the rear are not as neat the the old one. This is because the x-axle with the lights now serves a purpose. The red liftarms show the state of the coupling.

I need the large battery boxes as they hold power enough for a full day of exhibiting. This is also a huge challenge because of their width (11 studs vs. truck width of 12)

Lasse, It was I who filmed the big red container crane you showed off.

And because I have gottan my inet's connection tripled from 1Mbit to 3Mbit then I will see if I can renember to reuploade it in full 1080p as it is strait for the dslr sometime late I a bit busy for the next few months.

http://youtu.be/1rIpJWeemPI

Video

Awesome! I didn't get to take a video myself - I was busy rebuilding trucks and containers most of the time (it is me in the background). All the stuff I exhibit is free to show in pictures and videos - people can even sell trucks built using my instructions.

I knew, it just anoyes me that I was in such a hurry that I din't grab. Detailed pictures of the crane, that could been useful for everybody if lasse had allow for posting them. Also my position compare to the dslr zoom was a perfect fit.

But I didn't shoot any shoot of the crane... :sing:

I will make a better functional crane, but it was nice to see it in motion.

I have built a new top for the truck which takes it to the first iteration. I also want to create building instructions, but I want to avoid using rare parts, so I have to ask if the bricks in the following picture are cheaply available in larger quantities:

special_parts1.jpg

Edited by Lasse D

Those parts you have shown above are mostly new parts,but I show not think thay would be very expensive to get.

Good, good. And now onto the first iteration of the truck:

scania_prototype1.jpg

There are some orange parts which will have to be ordered from bricklink (headlight bricks, 2x4 and 1x6 tiles), but this is "iteration 1" meaning that all functions and details will be under heavy scrutiny these next days. I'm planning on building a new trailer and contrainer for it which will show whether or not the new coupling mechanism works as intended. If not, I might revert to a more aesthetically pleasing design. (And I also need a white 1x3 tile because I agree with Richie on the 1x4 being a bit on the wide side)

scania_prototype1rear.jpg

I'm a bit annoyed that 1x8 tiles do not exist in orange. It would look better and work better than 2x4 tiles, but that will have to do... unless I find a better solution.

scania_prototype1side.jpg

And now for the big question. Is it better than the old 2009 design? I will make a comparison video once I have the trialer and container done.

scania_prototype1compare1.jpg

scania_prototype1compare2.jpg

The old design looks less dynamic and the proportions are not as much in scale. The top is much less interesting to look at and the nose seems much more flat. I do like the more realistic wind screen of the old design because it doesn't slope (more realistic), but that's just my opinion. How about you guys?

Edited by Lasse D

I like the orange truck's aerodynamic cowling that forces air SMOOTHLY around the towed trailer. The slanted windscreen is also more aerodynamic. I like how the Power Functions Receiver is hidden in the orange truck too. :classic:

Thanks DLuders. The cowling was a necessary upgrade since Ralph S upped me on the topline with his wrecker. I had forgotten about how obvious the receiver on the old truck is. It did have great reception, though :sweet:

As for the windscreen I want to tilt it so it only gains half a stud rather than a whole stud. The current slope is more appropriate for a Volvo, which I have yet to build.

Could you use 2x2 tiles instead of those gray tiles?

I love the over all look though.:sweet:

I would have done so if I built the truck last year, but now the 2x4 is in production in orange. 2x4 offers more strength since I can't support the bricks much from behind (because of the battery box which should be easily changable). 1x8 tiles would be ideal since I wouldn't intrude into the space of the battery box at all, and there would be a nice line where the cowling is supposed to start.

What about adding some sort of decal in a differant color using bricks/tiles in what ever color is best.?

You mean decals in the colors I need the bricks? I would rather just get the bricks in the right colors.

You mean decals in the colors I need the bricks? I would rather just get the bricks in the right colors.

I probably did not describe it well.

You could make a gray stripe around the cab or what ever other color you wish.

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

You mean in order to visually separate the cab from the cowling by means of stickers? Those stickers would have to be custom made and become stamps (across multiple pieces). People can do that with their own models if they want to use my instructions, but I don't like cutting corners like that and prefer using bricks in various colors or shapes in order to replicate details. Using stickers is not my style at all.

You mean in order to visually separate the cab from the cowling by means of stickers? Those stickers would have to be custom made and become stamps (across multiple pieces). People can do that with their own models if they want to use my instructions, but I don't like cutting corners like that and prefer using bricks in various colors or shapes in order to replicate details. Using stickers is not my style at all.

Use brick's/tiles instead of stickers.:sweet:

Would the air kit stick out to much if you uses slope tiles (1x3) horizontally up the sides?

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

Use brick's/tiles instead of stickers.:sweet:

Would the air kit stick out to much if you uses slope tiles (1x3) horizontally up the sides?

It would push the air kit forward and touch the window which would be out of scale. The current version (where the 2x4 tiles are supposed to be orange) is actually in scale if you think of the kit starting at the md orange 1x6 tiles. I have just slimmed it a bit to make the cab less dominating compared to the short rear (which has to fit the standard I am using):

standard_side.png

I always thought your white Scania was one of the best renditions I had seen so far, but now I see the comparison shot it doesn't look like a Scania at all! The orange one is such a big improvement. As for the window: I would keep the sloped version. Looking to pictures of the R-series right now, they are not totally vertical either, but slightly sloped.

I always thought your white Scania was one of the best renditions I had seen so far, but now I see the comparison shot it doesn't look like a Scania at all! The orange one is such a big improvement.

I totaly agree the orange truck looks a lot better

The new technical element is the new drive line which incorporates the automatic coupling as shown earlier.

I have refined it for this model to work more smoothly, but I still have to make a trailer work nicely with this system. The octan trailer would work if it wasn't so incredibly heavy.

construction1.png

I have highlighted the various parts in this next picture to show how it works:

construction3.png

Red: Driven directly from the motor.

Green: The "clicker" ensures this part is only engaged when reversing (so trailers would not be dropped when driving)

Blue: The rubber part engages the latch when interacting with the tip which uncouples any attached trailer if the legs of the trailer are down. The red rubber band is supposed to grip onto the tan pin in order to hold the latch up when not engaged by the rubber part. Unfortunately the rubber band generator in MLCad does not currently allow such advanced use. I will see if there is a solution for this problem.

Up next: A light trailer whose legs are activated by reversing.

Edited by Lasse D

I still marvel at how you manage to turn two functions into 3, very clever design. Would you mind showing a few more views of the mechanism?

tim