Any customer can have a car painted in any colour he wants so long as it is black. Henry Ford.

Fully black is the best color combination. We have everything for that : wheels, panels an other details in black, may be except some axles used as bars and steering .

Edited by rm8

Since we're talking about colour schemes, I'll bump this thread:

niceangle.jpg

threequartershot.jpg

I'm not actually a big fan of the yellow, but I do reckon it looks better with a single colour. I didn't really have any other option other than yellow with the parts I had. A few yellow 5x11 panels would have been nice. I also took the black beams out of the doors after I took the photos.

I also prefer the mostly-black chassis to the red one, and would have replaced more of the grey parts with black if I could have.

And I'm not a fan of black wheels with black rims.

my 2c.

Black wheels suit it best :)Again Lego got it rite.

but why grey wheels on the Unimog? :cry_sad:

but why grey wheels on the Unimog? :cry_sad:

Cause this time Lego listened to us for black wheels. Iv black on my mog too. Grey is not as all realistic.

Since we're talking about colour schemes, I'll bump this thread:

niceangle.jpg

threequartershot.jpg

I'm not actually a big fan of the yellow, but I do reckon it looks better with a single colour. I didn't really have any other option other than yellow with the parts I had. A few yellow 5x11 panels would have been nice. I also took the black beams out of the doors after I took the photos.

I also prefer the mostly-black chassis to the red one, and would have replaced more of the grey parts with black if I could have.

And I'm not a fan of black wheels with black rims.

my 2c.

That s looks horrid who ruined there crawler ;(

That s looks horrid who ruined there crawler ;(

Dave, that's not cool to moc someone's moc. He made the crawler out of parts in his collection. I give him 2 thumbs up! :thumbup::thumbup:

While waiting for my official set, I made a grey frame, black axles, and black rear tailgate/fenders to replace the red and white. Now just have to order the "32009 Orange Technic, Liftarm 1 x 11.5 Double Bent Thick" pieces to match the rear fenders.

Glenn

Dave, that's not cool to moc someone's moc. He made the crawler out of parts in his collection. I give him 2 thumbs up! :thumbup::thumbup:

While waiting for my official set, I made a grey frame, black axles, and black rear tailgate/fenders to replace the red and white. Now just have to order the "32009 Orange Technic, Liftarm 1 x 11.5 Double Bent Thick" pieces to match the rear fenders.

Glenn

I'm sorry if I offended, I taught it was the real crawler.

I finished buildingdefault_laugh_new.gif I modded as I was building. I replaced the two 16t gears with 12t/20t and diff with knob wheels and 8t/24t in portal hubs. I also used pp tires(makes it look much better and more grip) and i removed those bley guards at the front of the axle because it gives better ground clearance and they're not really needed. It's slow but it's got plenty of torque. It was bigger than I expectedoh2.gif Now it performs great, struggles on a step-up obstacle where rear axle does all the work, my knob wheels dont squeak though like sariels but it seems to have plenty of torque. theres one problem...does anyone's servo struggle to steer all the way??? Maybe this is because I removed diff and put on pp's??I'm probably just exaggerating though...Will prob post pics too.

@ z3_2drive: The larger Lego Power Puller wheel/tire combination weighs a lot more than the stock wheel/tire combination that came with the 9398 set. The 22969 Power Pullers Wheel (20.560 grams) + the 32298 Power Pullers Tire (170.000 g) = 190.560 grams, while the stock 44772 Wheel (15.400 g) + 54120 Tire (43.600 g) = 59.000 grams (over 3 times less weight). So, the Power Functions Servo Motor may have trouble hefting all that weight. Plus, there may be more tire-to-pavement friction since the Power Puller tires have a greater "contact patch" area.

@ MarkV: You can mail-order the 9398 4x4 Crawler set in the USA from Shop.Lego.com and Toys-R-Us. Price = $199.99 (before sales tax). Although you could drive to an official Lego Store, you could save yourself fuel and just wait a few days to get one shipped to you. :classic:

@ z3_2drive: The larger Lego Power Puller wheel/tire combination weighs a lot more than the stock wheel/tire combination that came with the 9398 set. The 22969 Power Pullers Wheel (20.560 grams) + the 32298 Power Pullers Tire (170.000 g) = 190.560 grams, while the stock 44772 Wheel (15.400 g) + 54120 Tire (43.600 g) = 59.000 grams (over 3 times less weight). So, the Power Functions Servo Motor may have trouble hefting all that weight. Plus, there may be more tire-to-pavement friction since the Power Puller tires have a greater "contact patch" area.

@ MarkV: You can mail-order the 9398 4x4 Crawler set in the USA from Shop.Lego.com and Toys-R-Us. Price = $199.99 (before sales tax). Although you could drive to an official Lego Store, you could save yourself fuel and just wait a few days to get one shipped to you. :classic:

Yeah you're right but It's better than what happened with the other tires, they had so little grip they couldnt even get the rear axle up onto the box! It was easy with the pp's thoughdefault_blink.gif

Has 9398 been spotted in US retail stores?

I was in the Cary (North Carolina) Toys R Us store today and they had 4 on the shelf. :classic:

Edited by TimH

What are these 'knob wheels' people are using to remove the diffs? That's probably the first mod I'd like to try when I pick mine up, but I don't know what you're talking about :)

@ mrklaw: The 32072 Technic Knob Wheels can be used as non-slip gears on a 9L Technic Axle, to replace the 9398's Differentials.

32072.jpg

I must say it is really great set. It was long but quite interesting build. Regarding colour scheme I must say TLG selected nice and attractive scheme. Some might say that pure black scheme, or at least grey chassis would be the best fit, but we must consider that colour scheme is used to attract attention (especially of non-fans, random buyers), and current scheme surely catches the eye, its bright, slightly aggressive and cool.

Its very good set but for some reason they didn't include power switch extension, and it is quite hard to rich battery switch give that it can be easily fixed with simple mod, but when the price is high you expect everything to be well-thought-of.

The set is real tons of fun to play with, crawler got very good roll-over-ability. While climbing down from sofa on few pillows my crawler rolled over its roof back on wheels and continued its way to the floor.

@ mrklaw: The 32072 Technic Knob Wheels can be used as non-slip gears on a 9L Technic Axle, to replace the 9398's Differentials.

32072.jpg

Ah, I've got some of those. Don't suppose there is a picture somewhere of how it'd be installed?

Set is up on the uk Lego website, I hope retail stores in the uk have them in before my 10% off voucher runs out on tuesday.

These L-motors are VERY usefuldefault_thumbup.gif I am currently remaking miron89's mini trial truck with the new motor and my custom battery. If it works will post pics in my MOC thread. Wish me luck!

Ah, I've got some of those. Don't suppose there is a picture somewhere of how it'd be installed?

underside.jpg

This is again from my pseudo-crawler (I haven't actually bought it, I just wanted to see how close I could get to building one with what I had. This part's pretty much identical to the real one, just different colours.)

I replaced the two 4L lateral axles with a 4 and a 5 with a joiner inbetween. You could just use a 9L instead (I think this is what Sariel did).

The knob wheel on the longditudinal shaft needs to be 1 stud nearer to the axle than where the 20t tan gear was. I used a 3L beam to fill the gap (yellow, visible in the picture through the holes in the crossmember) held with two black pins, and the same 5.5L axle-with-stop as was already used; this just means that instead of sticking out the grey piece at the front by half a stud, it only goes halfway through it, which makes no difference.

Make sure you put them on opposite sides in front and back, so that if you put the two axles next to each other they'd be mirror images, as with the diffs. Otherwise the wheels will turn in different directions. This means that when assembled, both lateral knob wheels should be on the left-hand-side of the crawler (or both on the right, no big deal).

Very cool video.

I am sure you want to break your gears and motor's.:laugh:

Ps Technicbrick's is still down.:sceptic:

Made a new video! Boring as usual... :cry_happy:

See it in HD if you prefer.

Great video but I really don't like them tires they just don't right to me! Ur crawler looks very slow is this down to the tires or have u changed the gearing?

Conchas wrote in his video that the sand was clogging up the 9398's Portal Axle gears -- that's why the travelling speed was slow. In addition, he uses Rechargeable AA batteries which only produce 7.2 Volts total (instead of 9V total with Alkaline batteries).

Conchas wrote in his video that the sand was clogging up the 9398's Portal Axle gears -- that's why the traveling speed was slow. In addition, he uses Rechargeable AA batteries which only produce 7.2 Volts total (instead of 9V total with Alkaline batteries).

More specifically it was clogging the portal axle hubs (which had to disassembled with Crowkillers method) and the holes where some axles run.

In the end I decided to replace some parts, as I do not like to see scratches. The portal hubs are still the same though as I do not have yet enough spares to replace them all.

Yet the video final 3-4 seconds, cost me one part lost in the grass for the eternity and two broken parts. One of them a shock absorber from the rear suspension...

My daughter was dropping it from too high, I guess...

So the Crawler was reborn for a new, but too short life... Now it went for restoration, once more.

This Crawler has been abused quite a lot in my hands. I have too admit. :tongue:

Maybe you're right about Jeppe, and he won't talk to me anymore...

Did you damage the motors with that big water splash?

No I didn't damage the motors so far.

I guess there was no salted water entering the internals of them. Nevertheless only the time will say!...

To be on the safe side, I've replaced also, two (1x PF L and 1x PF Srv) of three motors and will give another use to the other two...

Ps Technicbrick's is still down.:sceptic:

It shouldn't be!...

does not having complains anymore and everyone I was asking, is accessing it again regularly.

Try to force a reload with F5.