def

What are you reading?

Halfway through "Why the West Rules--for Now: The Patterns of History, and What They Reveal About the Future" by Ian Morris.

Why is English the world's second language? Why did Europe dominate over Asia for the last few hundred years? What are the chances that this trend will continue?

Interesting stuff. Really interesting. The world we live in is interesting.

50 Psychology Ideas You Really Need to Know. Very interesting reading for a soon-to-be Psychology major. I already knew about thirty out of fifty ideas detailed in the book, but there was a lot more information on those, as well as twenty others I didn't know about. I'd definitely recommend it if you have any interest in Psychology.

I'm reading The Journeyer, by Gary Jennings, a historical novel about the life of Marco Polo. I am at his first travel, as a young boy, on his father's ship, from Venice to Acre (Israël). The novel is full of interesting details about the cities seen and the context of medieval Venice and Acre, but also has some "special" parts that could shock some puritans. However, most of the book is really interesting and you learn a lot of other things about this adventure.

I recently finished Metro 2033, and am now about to start with Metro 2034. I can really recommend Metro 2033, it's one of the best books I've ever read. It's mood is rather dark at some points, especially towards the end, but it's definitely worth reading :thumbup:

50 Psychology Ideas You Really Need to Know. Very interesting reading for a soon-to-be Psychology major. I already knew about thirty out of fifty ideas detailed in the book, but there was a lot more information on those, as well as twenty others I didn't know about. I'd definitely recommend it if you have any interest in Psychology.

I'm taking Psychology classes in school next year, and while I really don't think it'll be necessary, since the class will undoubtedly teach me all I need to know to get a decent grade, I'd like to check out that book just to see what I'm getting myself into, and whether I want to get even deeper into it; so I've decided to look for that book the next time I'm in an English bookstore (which will, incidentally, be in a little less than a week! :grin: ). So thanks for the recommendation. :classic:

So thanks for the recommendation. :classic:

No problem! I'd also recommend Quirkology: How We Discover the Big Truths in Small Things. It's written by Richard Wiseman, a researching psychologist from Britain. The book explores the quirks of our society today, and details several social experiments Dr. Wiseman performed over the years. These experiments range from the scientific worldwide search for the perfect joke to the psychology of lying. Very interesting stuff, and Dr. Wiseman's witty style of writing gave me a few chuckles throughout the book. default_thumbup.gif

I love Warhammer 40K Space Marine novels. Right now I'm reading a Space Wolves book, "Battle of the Fang" by Chris Wraight. So far, so good.

The Hobbit, inbetween some H.P. Lovecraft, Zombie short stories, and a backlog of Star Wars novels (why are you so awesome Rogue Squadron?)

I picked up the Lord of the Rings the other day for the first time in 7 or so years. Figured it was about time I got whisked off on a fantastic adventure; university made me hate reading a little bit, so it feels good to be totally engrossed by a book again.

The Union Club Mysteries by Isaac Asimov. After that, it'll be a reread of The Positronic Man.

I was reading How To Teach Quantum Physics To Your Dog (by Chad Orzel), but I'm taking a break from that in order to delve into the books I received from Amazon yesterday: The Ruby In The Smoke (by Philip Pullman), 50 Psychology Ideas You Really Need To Know (which, credit where credit's due, I only knew about because of Sisco's recommendation a few posts ago) and 50 Physics Ideas You Really Need To Know, in the same series.

I just started reading A Storm of Swords. I really like the A Song of Ice and Fire series.

Just finished Martin Walker's Caves of Perigord...a fascinating tale that weaves together the 17,000 year old caves of Lascaux in France with WWII Resistance fighters and modern art historians/anthropologists. His four book series about Bruno Chief of Police is also lovely based in a small French village.

If you are into Italian things, you may enjoy Donna Leon's series on Police Commissioner Brunetti. Parts are beyond hilarious, and the description of Venetian culture is superb. She has been an English lit professor in Italy for 30 years or so, and knows how to use it. Fun! Great background for visiting Venice. Cheers!

I am rereading the Hobbit and reading the Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan (I decided to read it because my brother is always talking about how cool and funny it is).

Edited by Lightning Dragon

I'm halfway through A Dance With Dragons.

Looking forward to seeing how the series concludes, but I don't think this novel nor the last have been as impressive as their predecessors.

I'm reading Vestiges, by Laurence Sunher (Switzerland), a science-fiction novel that takes place on a ice planet called Gemma. It's quite interesting, despite some problems of meaning in the text (I think it's a new writer).

I also secretly read Twilight at work :blush: (and I am a man :laugh: )

Recently picked up three LEGO-related books: Hero Factory Secret Mission #1: The Doom Box, Ninjago Graphic Novel #3: Rise of the Serpentine, and Ninjago Graphic Novel #4: Tomb of the Fangpyre.

The Hero Factory chapter book was good, really fleshing out the universe established in the TV series with good characterization, a suspenseful plot, and lots of imaginative characters and settings. The Ninjago graphic novels were also good, although Tomb of the Fangpyre is a bit odd in terms of figuring out where it fits in the story. Presumably it takes place after all the Serpentine tribes are unleashed and Lloyd has joined the group, but the way the story is told Lloyd seems to join the Ninja within this story, which if true would contradict the television series. I believe these comics are the same ones featured in the Ninjago magazine published in Germany.

reading the last Rachel Morgan book by Kim Harrison

After that I really need to find something different without magic involved.

Maybe some hard SF for recreational purposes

I really should re-read The Hobbit before December.

Just getting ready to start IMAGINE: How Creativity Works by Jonah Lehrer.