Sign in to follow this  
Mister Phes

WIP Imperial Sentry Box - Version 2

I think I like the first version better myself, however, I'm going to do a version using plates after I get some more feedback on the slopes.

And does anyone know how to add the Imperial Guard flag to the MCLAD Library?

I think I like the first version better myself, however, I'm going to do a version using plates after I get some more feedback on the slopes.

And does anyone know how to add the Imperial Guard flag to the MCLAD Library?

Hi,

I prefer the version with sloping only on the sides, not in the front, that would be the more realistic.

I think It's a nice small moc and a good start for something bigger, like a modular moc.

3d-roof2.jpg

Or should I do a third version that's half way between the first version and third version, I.e. Only having the slopes on the left and right sides while the front and back are flat?

this looks like the one I just whipped up to show what could be done.

I was actually advocating for the third version you mention, all 45 degree slopes, flat in the front and back, but over hung to offer some extra shelter. I just didn't want to do that version in the CAD tutorial since this is your MOC. I did the other version because I hadn't advocated it, so I didn't feel like I was taking it over!

I'll do a version with the 45 degree slopes later when I have some free time - since technically the 35 degree slope is your version Mr ZCerberus X-D

I deffinately prefer the first version...the second version's roof looks too...big. And I like the flag where it used to be in the back.

Simple but sweet! Sometimes the smaller designs can be the real gems.

As for improvement, I would suggest two flame peices on the torch. It would give the whole MOC a more life-like feel. Personally, I think the flag would look better behind the building, as you showed in your second MCLad.

Nice job! This is gonna turn out well! *y*

I didn't include the grey plate out of necessity, I included it because it is part of the aesthetic of Imperial Guard sets. For example: the red sloped in the Imperial Trading Post has a grey plate beneath it, but its not really required.

Well the one on the Imperial Trading post is because there is a floor underneath it! Even the roof on the building in the back has some strange storage stuff under it...

In my Imperial Harbor I tried extra super hard to make sure that the gray floor plates didn't show on the sides of the buildings! If you go back and look at the CADs or the construction to see what I mean!

I was just looking to expand the MLCAD empire!

;)

Empires

Sheesh,

First the spanish armada wants a world empire, then the french want a world empire,

And now Z wants an MLCAD empire.

When does it stop? It's getting to the point where i'll just start shooting every vessel i meet in the open seas.

P

And now Z wants an MLCAD empire.

Yeah I do!!!... wanna join my Empire? MLCAD Empire of victory! I mean we already have the midwest connection, and you have used the MLCADs before! I think the Dame du Loup and the Arbiter II could seriously own the seas! Plus, Maybe boney would join the Empire as he has been using MLCAD a bunch lately. If we added his ground forces and his ship, The L'Orient could be a nice addition.

I will make a pact with you. We can kill all the Spanish and use Fort Brighton as our homebase!!!!

And if you're nice, I can share 2% of my plunder!

That's a nice sentry box, you've built there, Mr. Phes. *y* I like this one over your previous effort, mainly because its design isn't overly simplistic. With this design you've managed to find the right balance. I will say that I thought your use of the Fabuland roof piece was a rather creative choice and I didn't think it looked bad at all.

Captain Roger made a good point in the other sentry thread. Since you don't have a lot of spare time on your hands, it might be beneficial to you to build portions of a larger MOC of some sort. Plus, I'm sure everyone would be excited to see the finished product.

~Just addin' my $.02

Yeah I do!!!... wanna join my Empire? MLCAD Empire of victory! I mean we already have the midwest connection, and you have used the MLCADs before!

I'm sorry to say that i've never used MLCAD before 8-|

Anything that's CAD-like that i've shown on EB is from Lego Factory 1.6 :)

I think the Dame du Loup and the Arbiter II could seriously own the seas! Plus, Maybe boney would join the Empire as he has been using MLCAD a bunch lately. If we added his ground forces and his ship, The L'Orient could be a nice addition.

I think B already has an empire ;-) Dunno if he'd want to join yours or just take it over. :-$

Hopefully he's not mad at me for me taking a French 44 gun frigate 8-|

I will make a pact with you. We can kill all the Spanish and use Fort Brighton as our homebase!!!!

And if you're nice, I can share 2% of my plunder!

Suppose i could go privateer. I'll have to check out MLCAD first.

Is it much different from Lego Factory 1.6 and where do you download it?

:-|| Nice? Sorry mate, nice isn't in my vocabulary :-O j/k

Mr. Phes,

A suggestion for the roof is to have the same roof as the first design and rotate the roof 90 degrees.

rotated_roof.jpg

It gives an over hang for the guard and the roof isn't oversized either *y*

P

Never mind, you can't be in my Empire then!

Anyhow, I am not sure turning the roof is is that much different. Now he will have the more protection from the elements, true enough, but rain is going to run down straight onto his torches!!

I still think it should just overhang the sides by a stud with all 45 degree slopes!!

I think B already has an empire ;-) Dunno if he'd want to join yours or just take it over. :-$

Hopefully he's not mad at me for me taking a French 44 gun frigate 8-|

Suppose i could go privateer. I'll have to check out MLCAD first.

Is it much different from Lego Factory 1.6 and where do you download it?

:-|| Nice? Sorry mate, nice isn't in my vocabulary :-O j/k

Mr. Phes,

A suggestion for the roof is to have the same roof as the first design and rotate the roof 90 degrees.

rotated_roof.jpg

It gives an over hang for the guard and the roof isn't oversized either *y*

P

By making the roof like this, all the water from the roof will fall on the minifig (and the torches like Z. mentioned)... theoretically speaking :-D

Ok... Some new roof variations...

203.jpg

204.jpg

205.jpg

I still like the very first "slopes" roof I created...

I am not a huge fan of any of those.

This is actually what I was advocating...

sentrybox03.jpg

It is okay.... maybe a 6x6 area is just too small for a good roof!!

I did a couple other versions as well, but they sure do suck... a lot!

sentrybox04.jpg

sentrybox05.jpg

sentrybox06.jpg

I actually like the sloped plates. Other wise, it's the original one I like best.

I am not a huge fan of any of those.

This is actually what I was advocating...

sentrybox03.jpg

It is okay.... maybe a 6x6 area is just too small for a good roof!!

I did a couple other versions as well, but they sure do suck... a lot!

sentrybox04.jpg

I like the first and the second one. The sloped plates were also used in the ITP I believe...

The other ones have to much red IMO.

Have a nice day,

Mr Tiber

sentrybox03.jpg

Hmmm... Not sure if I like the jagged roof

sentrybox04.jpg

This was going to be my next venture but it looks like I've been beaten to it!

I too like the above roof designs! There was a folder on brickshelf that contained some unique roof designs using unusual pieces...

Here it is: LINK

Some nice ideas here, but not very practical because some parts are rather rare or expensive (the red flags).

I still prefer the original roof that Mr. Phes designed.

I too like the above roof designs! There was a folder on brickshelf that contained some unique roof designs using unusual pieces...Here it is: LINK

These roof tops look very interesting...

image01.jpg_thumb.jpg image02.jpg_thumb.jpg image03.jpg_thumb.jpg

However, I don't think they're quite suitable for a MOC trying to simulate a SYSTEM Pirate set. But that doesn't mean they won't be useful down the track in another MOC so thanks for sharing them!

just FYI,

The green leaf does fit onto those two 1x1 bricks (w/ stud on side) perfectly fine.

I saw what you had mentioned also, the "bottom" of the leaf on sticks out a mm or two from the wall; it's barely noticeable and looks fine ;-) *y*

P

It was more about making it look connected in the picture - if he moves it towards the wall, the lower stud of the leaf will go through the wall, so the ideal thing to do is to bend the leaf slightly like you do in the real model, but from my experience that's not an easy thing to do in MLCad!

Who would have thought this would be a community project? *sweet*

These roof tops look very interesting...

image01.jpg_thumb.jpg image02.jpg_thumb.jpg image03.jpg_thumb.jpg

However, I don't think they're quite suitable for a MOC trying to simulate a SYSTEM Pirate set. But that doesn't mean they won't be useful down the track in another MOC so thanks for sharing them!

The thumbnails didn't work.. I edited them...

Those desings are very nice, But you are right about it, that these techniques wouldn't be used in SYSTEM pirate sets...

Maybe I'll use them for a MOC..

Mr Tiber

Hey Mr. Phes,

You have any updates on the final design for your sentry box?

I changed mine a little so that there's a magnetic lego brick on the back.

hpim1245.jpg

hpim1246.jpg

When i got the 2x4 magnetic bricks, i was surprised at how strong the magnets are. *y*

That one magnetic brick easily holds up the sentry box on the cabinet door, even when you open and close the door.

P