Sign in to follow this  
calculon

Building Question conc. UCS 7191 X-Wing

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

Hey guys!

First post, first question! Hope anyone is able to help me..

I ran into trouble when it came to page 31, step 11 (picture to follow).

If you look at the blue pins where the wings suppose to be. How is it possible to get them in X-position!? construction mistake or thinking mistake?

The lower pins build an horizontally line. The upper pins go up at a very high-angle. Aren't both supposed to mark an "X" ?

Any help/idea would be appreciated.

Thanx!

Calculon

Hey guys!

First post, first question! Hope anyone is able to help me..

I ran into trouble when it came to page 31, step 11 (picture to follow).

If you look at the blue pins where the wings suppose to be. How is it possible to get them in X-position!? construction mistake or thinking mistake?

The lower pins build an horizontally line. The upper pins go up at a very high-angle. Aren't both supposed to mark an "X" ?

Any help/idea would be appreciated.

Thanx!

Calculon

The building instructions shows the position for aligning the left and right wings.

When you rotate the gear at the back, you will get the X at one end and the wings closed at the other end.

I am pretty sure that this is shown at the end of the building booklet.

Edited by DanSto

The building instructions shows the position for aligning the left and right wings.

When you rotate the gear at the back, you will get the X at one end and the wings closed at the other end.

I am pretty sure that this is shown at the end of the building booklet.

that is true, but I think the key insight is that the axles should be rotated until they form the x as shown /before/ the gears are meshed in place. If the OP's axels don't form an X like in the diagram, then partially dismantle the gearing so you can spin the axles independently, and refit the gearing in that position!

hope this helps. good luck!

cheers

John

that is true, but I think the key insight is that the axles should be rotated until they form the x as shown /before/ the gears are meshed in place. If the OP's axels don't form an X like in the diagram, then partially dismantle the gearing so you can spin the axles independently, and refit the gearing in that position!

hope this helps. good luck!

cheers

John

That's clearly the final goal but don't forget the weight of the wings : when you add them into this position, you will get the X.

Calculon, please, give us a feedback about this.

Having constructed this myself, I can safely say that the weight of the wings will help provide the correct angle - I was a bit puzzled here myself :)

That's clearly the final goal but don't forget the weight of the wings : when you add them into this position, you will get the X.

Calculon, please, give us a feedback about this.

I thought about that point myself but considered it tooo easy to be the solution. But it seems to be that way.

I continue constructing when i'm home again & will post soon after.

Thank you all guys for your ideas & hints! :) Is's a very fine forum here with a lot of cool & nice members!

CU!

Somehow I knew this thread would turn out to be about this specific question even before I read the initial post; I remember having that same "huh?" moment when I built 7191 myself. :classic:

Sadly, I no longer have the set, having been forced to sell it some years ago during a moment of financial desperation. :cry_sad:

Sadly, I no longer have the set, having been forced to sell it some years ago during a moment of financial desperation. :cry_sad:

A tale of woe!!! :cry_sad:

I feel for thee...

Still workin' on it!

Thank you Ralph McQuarrie for this brilliant, outstanding astonishing & wonderful design! :)

My favorite starfighter ever. Beside Buck Roger's one. ;)

Edited by calculon

It'S finally done!

A lot of alcohol went into this. But it was worth the fuel. Some parts were missing / wrong color.. Stickers are missing but nonetheless - it was a great bargain imho! (150 € on ebay).

But i think i'm going to tweak a little here and there.. Have to find a way to deal with the canopy. It close not correctly but seems to be a general problem with this set.

But all in all - thanx to its congenial TLC Designer (the same dude who built the new B-Wing). Just great & heavy!

Cheeers!

Calculon

post-29752-13429788126147.jpg

Congratulation!

What's the sizes of this UCS?

Öhhmm..Dunnot know. :D

Big & heavy... Found this here: "This 1,304-piece LEGO X-Wing Fighter set is a serious investment in time, but the finished product is breathtakingly cool. Eighteen inches long, 13 inches tall, and 8 inches wide"

Don't know what this is in centimeters. :D

... Have to find a way to deal with the canopy. It close not correctly but seems to be a general problem with this set.

A light grey 1x2 plate placed centrally in front of the canopy does the job nicely and unobtrusively! :classic:

Very nice, and like you, when I saw the price for the stickers, I kinda decided to live without it:)

Öhhmm..Dunnot know. :D

Big & heavy... Found this here: "This 1,304-piece LEGO X-Wing Fighter set is a serious investment in time, but the finished product is breathtakingly cool. Eighteen inches long, 13 inches tall, and 8 inches wide"

Don't know what this is in centimeters. :D

1 inch is 2.54 cm, so says the internets :classic:

A light grey 1x2 plate placed centrally in front of the canopy does the job nicely and unobtrusively! :classic:

Did that. But there's still a gap. Grrrrrrrr... I dont see where the problem's coming from..!? guess i have to unleash the power of the dremel! :D

guess i have to unleash the power of the dremel! :D

You should probably use the Force...

Still it's strange nobody knows where that gap come from