Sign in to follow this  
Cervantes

Question about buying on ebay

Hi all. I've been a lurker these past few weeks, I just recently got back into legos and pirates are my favorite theme. I have heard unending amounts of praise for the BSC, but it has seemed so expensive for being a vintage set that I was instead eyeing the black pearl. Ironically, I was browsing on ebay for a better price for the black pearl (amazon wants $95 and the 2 walmarts near me both want $100) when I noticed this possible gem.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bricks-Block-Building-Toys-Figures-308-Pirates-Series-set-Black-Pearl-870-pcs-/220981315432?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3373834768

Now, that doesn't look like a black pearl. It looks like a barracuda, but for the black pearl price! (South Korea typo misunderstand I'm assuming) The pieces look to be new and in very good condition and between the price and shipping I could score it for under $70. Is that a good deal for a Barracuda or is there something fishy going on with it being an overseas vendor?

I don't really care about a box or manual (can find the latter online), I'm not that huge a collector. I just want to build ships and have them on display. I don't really know the going rates of ships, which is why I'm wondering if this is auction is worth the money? I'm willing to wait a month on shipping around the world if it gets me the best pirate set ever released for a solid price.

Edit: After sifting through tons of google searchs I finally found an article on them being called "Enlighten building blocks" that are largely knock offs of Lego sets and have lower quality parts. If only lego would re-issue some of this very popular sets these knock off variants have tried to re-create. =(

Disregard/delete

Edited by Cervantes

You do realise that the model shown is fake? Its a clone brand who are out to make money by tricking us LEGO fans! Ignore it, don't even try to buy it, its just a con. Sorry.

Edited by Darthluke824

Yeah unfortunately there are loads of fake clone brands out there, one has to be aware of them.

on the other hand, Welcome to Eurobricks! why don't you introduce yourself here

You do realise that the model shown is fake?

See the "Edit" part of my post I made last night. ;)

Yeah unfortunately there are loads of fake clone brands out there, one has to be aware of them.

on the other hand, Welcome to Eurobricks! why don't you introduce yourself

I will certainly do that :) And thank you for the welcome! The Knights guy you have in your sig looks interesting. I used to be into Kingdoms when I was a child, but I can readily tell just by looking at the colors and the horse blanket that Lego's color and design has improved volumes since then. I may have to check Kingdoms out again now that I've taken a second look at lego. There isn't much in the way of Pirates anymore, sadly. =(

I love how they try to make the logo and font as close a possible to the Lego one, as the kids say "EPIC FAIL" :pir-tongue:

Unfortunately in some countries there are not laws to percent such blatant copies and of course eBay is the best place to sell fake material. Just be careful and always verify the set number and do a little research. LEGO is an expensive hobby there is no doubt about that.

Tell me about it. I had the audacity to think for a brief moment I could finally enjoy the epic black seas barracuda in new condition without spending $500. =( It was nice to dream. What sucks is all these people selling Pirate ships for $300-$1500 don't give one red cent to lego, the seller gets all the pie. I would LOVE to support lego and give Lego my money, but they don't make this stuff any more and they may never again.

I would LOVE to support lego and give Lego my money, but they don't make this stuff any more and they may never again.

That's why I encourage everyone to pick up all the current ships that are for sale. Even if your not the biggest PotC fan, the ships are still nice and you can get them at retail.

It's cheaper to mod a QAR to what you want then buy a used BSB.

Well with the BSB out of the question now, I guess I'm left with pursuing the Black Pearl. Does this seller seem legit?

http://coffeehots.net/LEGO-Pirates-of-The-Caribbean-Black-Pearl-4184-P2694256.aspx

They have it for $69.99 with a coupon code for free shipping. it also has no sales tax, far better than the $100 + tax all the local stores are charging for it. Although like with my first post, if it looks too good to be true, it probably is. Has anyone ever heard of "Coffeehots"?

Seems legit to me.. having said that, I haven't heard of that company.. I would say it probably is legit, they are just a small company hence not having heard of them?

It seems sketchy to me. Besides, you can get the Black Pearl used off Amazon (since you don't care about having a box or instructions anyway) for less than from Coffeehots, because of the free shipping (Amazon = 77.88 + free shipping, Coffeehots = 69.99 + 10.00 shipping fee).

Edited by Skipper

I edited the topic title since "Hey all" wasn't really descriptive enough.

yeah, bricklink, SES set 6286, new, never opened - 850,00euros ,not even dollars =) em, u can get 8 QAR's for this amount of money...this is not sparta, this is madness...

Yeah I settled on getting the pearl, the barracuda is off the table at this point. If I do ever get one, it won't be new. I saw a used 2002 edition on ebay sell for $91 with all it's pieces and the manual, that will probably be the route to take when I have more money to squander on overpriced toys. :) I can deal with used parts if it's the newer 2k2 variant, at least those parts aren't as brittle and ancient as the 89 variant. Lego may have even made slightly better molds that better resist the passage of time since their techniques from the 80's. I just couldn't deal with a used 89'.

yes, and also, buy only used parts/sets if u can get some very close up pictures of the object - u never know what children did with the parts, used not only means they are old and might have brightened colors, it can have great colors, but the can have many scratches and so, physical damages, even new parts out of the box have but in used they may have even more. so try to ask for very close up pictures of the ship u want to buy