Konajra

FAIRPLAY-33 ocean going tug

indexed.gif Now Finished, see Post # 45.

Hello all,

here we go again :classic: another vessel. it is a commisioned build for a employee of Fairplay towage. The FAIRPLAY-33 is a sea going tug of 49m. in my favourite scale that makes the model 123 cm long, 35 cm wide and 73.cm tall.

7438890722_d91e7f7d14_c.jpg

FP-33 by Konajra, on Flickr

As always I started to design the model in Ldraw. It is almost done after 150 hours of Ldraw work.

7535957636_085917a335_c.jpg

fairplay-33-1 by Konajra, on Flickr

7535957426_d38416d928_c.jpg

FAIRPLAY-33-2 by Konajra, on Flickr

The youtube video shows 360 degree view of the ship with only the reardeck to be completed.

The first Brickstore list of 12.000 bricks has been emailed to the client. Now it is just a matter of finishing the ship, send another brickstore list with the last parts and then wait for the bricks to arrive and start building.

More will follow when the Ldraw file is finished. Collecting all the bricks will take some time I guess.

Edited by Phred

This is a chunky one :) but great work, as always. So, is the rumour spreading about your boat building skills, so you'll get some more commissions? What could be better than making money off building Lego? :)

Thanks guys.

Today I finished the Ldraw file of this tug. Now it is waiting for the bricks to come in. A lot of them. around 25 Kg of Lego will arrive which has to be enough to build this model.

2 screenshots of the finished model:

7558021078_4bb472e469_c.jpg

FAIRPLAY-33 ldraw finished 2 by Konajra, on Flickr

7558021338_a18d50ac64_c.jpg

FAIRPLAY-33 ldraw finished 1 by Konajra, on Flickr

Thanks for reading this thread.

More will follow once I start building for real.

Can't wait to see this come together in real life!

Me neither, but I think collecting all the bricks will take a lot of time. Once I start building I will post photos immediatly.

I am building one for myself but since the FAIRPLAY-33 is a commisioned build I was asked to build my own tug in a different color. That way the FAIRPLAY-33 will be the only one build. I decided to build my ship in the colors of Viking Supply vessels AS.

this is what it will look like:

7840696292_daa8dc36b0_c.jpg

Týr Viking by Konajra, on Flickr

7840696588_8b0a8cb035_c.jpg

Týr Viking by Konajra, on Flickr

I named it Týr Viking, after a Norwegian God. All vessels of VIking Supply are named after Norwegian Gods.

For once I started with the wheelhouse, since I had allot of bricks in stock:

7873988518_7ef2758b58_c.jpg

Týr Viking Wip by Konajra, on Flickr

7895187206_d30e6c224a_c.jpg

Týr Viking Wip 2 by Konajra, on Flickr

The rest of the bricks needed for this tug will come in after I have build the FAIRPLAY-33.

That technique is used very often by 1:13 scale truck builders for exhaust pipes.

Looks great, as all your others. Looking forward to Skærbæk!

PS: It's interesting that the English spelling is indeed Týr, with the accent. That's borrowed from the Icelandic/Faroese spelling. In Norway, he's called Ty, and in Denmark and Sweden Tyr - without the accent.

I know my ships are getting a bit boring. Still, i like building them :classic:

Edited by Konajra

Oh, I definitely don't think they're boring! On the contrary, they're a veritable well of nice building techniques and tiny details that are most inspiring to study. It's just that after seeing five or six of them, you tend to run out of superlatives ;)

Excellently detailed design. (as usual :sweet:)

I cant really tell from the Ldraw pictures if you are giving us some more diagonal pixelating lines of the hull?!

The "wow-effect" from your big ships is of course TOPS, but I try to look beyond that... Anyway it certainly doesnt look like you are skimping on details, so I am sure this will be another fantastic build!

Great ship! It is good to see that there is also other people making ships. Looking forward to see it finnished. :classic:

Edited by Anderss

Wow! How big will that be when finished?

It will be 123 cm long 35 cm wide and a total of 70 cm high.

and thanks everyone for the nice comments.

@Henrik Hoexbroe: I think this hull is better looking than the others. I quess we will have to wait untill it is finished to find out for real. :classic:

I have finished the superstructure of the Týr Viking.

7950686630_4a336b7a6a_c.jpg

Týr Viking wheelhouse by Konajra, on Flickr

7950687122_fa24b9d718_c.jpg

Týr Viking wheelhouse by Konajra, on Flickr'

I'm very happy with how it looks. Now its a matter of waitng again untill the bricks for this ship arrive.

I hope that the bricks for the FAIRPLAY-33 arrive by the end of september. In that case I have about 1½ month to build the 33 to be able to show it at LEGO FANWELT in Cologne, Germany.

Fingers crossed.

It looks really good. I am really enjoying the detail work and the actual size of the project.

When I heard of Fairplay, I had thoughts in my mind that the boat was somehow responsible for intercepting vessels with

loads of clone brick.... :D

some bricks came in so I was able to build a part of the internal structure of the hull of the FAIRPLAY-33. for the looks I placed the wheelhouse of my yellow version on top of it.

8014949752_3047282f5a_c.jpg

Týr Viking Wip by Konajra, on Flickr

hopefully the rest of the bricks will arrive soon.

Edited by Konajra

Wow, it´s massive!

You´ve incorporated a lot of details on the wheelhouse part, that is nice to see.

I also noticed that your camera (or editing) gievs a nice warm colour for the yellow bricks. (or were you just lucky to get all you yellow bricks in that same colour¿?)

Finally, I wonder why you placed a battery on the hull-photo¿?

Wow, it´s massive!

You´ve incorporated a lot of details on the wheelhouse part, that is nice to see.

I also noticed that your camera (or editing) gievs a nice warm colour for the yellow bricks. (or were you just lucky to get all you yellow bricks in that same colour¿?)

Finally, I wonder why you placed a battery on the hull-photo¿?

Thanks for the compliments. Luckily all my yellow is more or less the same shade of yellow. After editing the photo it all looks like the same yellow. Finally the battery: I got some questions about the size of the tug, so I thought I just put a well known battery for size comparison :)

This MOC is gonna be awesome. I'm Naval Architect and ldraw version is seem nice but superstructure which was building with pieces seems wonderful. I can't wait to see final version