Sign in to follow this  
jmagaletta

Review: 9500 - Sith Fury Class Interceptor

128 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Hello Everybody. This is my first review so go easy on me and I hope I do a good enough job.

Let me start by saying I have never played TOR, I just bought this ship because I loved the look of it. Here are the specs.

Set Name: Sith Fury Class Interceptor

Set Number: 9500

Piece Count: 748

Price: US 89.99 EU 99.99 GBP 79.99

# of Minifigs:3 (Darth Malgus, 2x Sith Troopers)

The minifigures are the highlight of this set in my opinion. The Malgus figure alone is amazing, and here he is flanked by two equally awesome sith troopers.

img_0306.jpg

This one without the chest piece and helmets. The detail is amazing on the figures especially the chest piece for Malgus.

img_0307.jpg

Individual shots.

img_0310.jpg

img_0311.jpg

img_0312.jpg

img_0314.jpg

Now for the build, since I didn't take pictures I'll have to just give my opinion. I really enjoyed it and the technic use in the wings was really interesting and fun. The model can be broken down into three main pieces.

Believe it or not the wings are kept in place by only two red pins, one for each wing. Still the ship is very solid and has great swooshing ability.

img_0297.jpg

Close up of the wing mechanism.

img_0298.jpg

Top greebles.

img_0299.jpg

Here are some pictures of the ship and its gimmicks.

img_0318.jpg

img_0319.jpg

img_0320.jpg

img_0321.jpg

img_0322.jpg

img_0323.jpg

img_0315.jpg

img_0316.jpg

img_0317.jpg

img_0329.jpg

img_0328.jpg

Here are some comparison pictures. I choose the recent Tie and Vader's TIe to show it can seemlessly join there ranks also the x-wing to show the size, it is a small ship for its price which is a definite drawback.

img_0330.jpg

img_0331.jpg

img_0332.jpg

img_0333.jpg

For the final part I took pictures of the instruction booklet as it came with that small comic at the end. Also I do not have the box as I got it on ebay with no box.

img_0335.jpg

img_0336.jpg

img_0337.jpg

Notice the leg printing on the Sith Trooper, looks like TLG left it out.

img_0338.jpg

img_0339.jpg

img_0340.jpg

The summer 2012 wave minifigs

img_0341.jpg

Overall thoughts:

I really like the set as it is, but the price is horrendous for what you get. It is the same size as 9493 X-wing and costs US 30 more. I know the piece count is more but the price should not be that high. I was lucky to get this before most in the US because of catching the ebay listing from the people who do the brick show. I got it for a much cheaper price without the box which was worth it. I did leave out, there are stickers that add some detail on the inside of the wings. Overall I would recommend this set just for the Mini Figures which really are the highlight. I mean that Darth Malgus is beautiful. If anyone would like to request additional pictures please let me know as I can get them up within a day most likely. I am sure you would like to see some characters with Malgus's chest piece just let me know and if i have the figure i will do it. Thank you everyone. Hope you like it. Also Moderators please add a poll as I did not know how to do it. Thanks.

REQUESTED PICTURES

without cape

img_3144.jpg

img_3145.jpg

with cape

img_3146.jpg

img_3147.jpg

The cape piece is from what I know new.

img_3148.jpg

Sorry for the one blurry pic but it doesn't affect the size comparison.

b0f4b30d-dcd6-4471-b339-41c5ba54f12c.jpeg

17b48e1a-247a-4fe1-bef8-35cac964121d.jpeg

Edited by jmagaletta

It's a good review. You need to be a Knight to add a poll.

My problem with this set is that the Furry Class is a large shuttle (MF size) nor a TIE sized fighter.

It's a good review. You need to be a Knight to add a poll.

My problem with this set is that the Furry Class is a large shuttle (MF size) nor a TIE sized fighter.

That's true, but for someone like me who doesn't play the game, I will never know the difference and TLG is targeting kids seeing it as a type of tie fighter and the striker fighter as a type of x-wing most likely. If this does end up selling good it will be because of the ship itself not the source material IMO

First of all, great review. I've got no complaints about that. I do however have some complaints about that price after seeing the shots next to the TIE and X-Wing. It sure does look to me like it should be in $50-$60 range. The ship itself does look nice though, but I'm not crazy about the minifigs. I don't know anything about the game, but all 3 figs look like those goofballs that go to conventions in their homemade Darth Vader costumes made out of cardboard. Is this really what Star Wars has become?

Thanks for the review! It looks like a nice set, though it's hard to justify the $90 price tag... :sceptic:

Would you mind a couple of photo requests? Could you get a shot of Malgus from the side and back, with his armor on? I haven't seen anyone take a picture of the back of his armor, or how it fits over the cape. Thanks!

And if you don't mind an extremely self-serving request, I'd love to see how well a trans-clear Round 2 x 2 x 1 2/3 Dome fits over top of his armor. I'm interested it to see if it fits all the way over the neck piece and rests on his shoulders... :grin:

Thanks for the review! It looks like a nice set, though it's hard to justify the $90 price tag... :sceptic:

Would you mind a couple of photo requests? Could you get a shot of Malgus from the side and back, with his armor on? I haven't seen anyone take a picture of the back of his armor, or how it fits over the cape. Thanks!

And if you don't mind an extremely self-serving request, I'd love to see how well a trans-clear Round 2 x 2 x 1 2/3 Dome fits over top of his armor. I'm interested it to see if it fits all the way over the neck piece and rests on his shoulders... :grin:

I dont have that piece but i do not think it would work well but you can judge for yourself. Here are the pics.

without cape

img_3144.jpg

img_3145.jpg

with cape

img_3146.jpg

img_3147.jpg

The cape piece is from what I know new.

img_3148.jpg

Nice review :thumbup: ! I have mixed feelings about this set. On one hand the design and figures are great, but after seeing the comparison pictures, I feel a little underwhelmed. i think the price should be around $70, instead of $90 :thumbdown: . I was planning to get this when I go to the US in August, but this made me reconsider. Maybe I should get Helm's Deep instead?

Good review. What can I say about the set? I love this ship, it's a great model, and I like that they are making some EU ships, but the price - well, it's Star Wars pricing I guess. Tons of fans will buy two of them just to have Darth Malgus and yet another flavor of SW trooper and keep one set MISB, so TLG basically know they can charge whatever they want for it. I can already hear the Australian contingent screaming about it as they line up to pay $500 for a ship the size of a TIE.

It's a shame, because it really is one of the coolest-looking SW ships in a long time.

I dont have that piece but i do not think it would work well but you can judge for yourself. Here are the pics.

[snip]

Thanks, these are great! The armor is really nice, as is the back printing. :wub:

Thank you so much for doing this review jmagaletta. Let me start out by saying i really like this set. The only real critisism i have on the model is that they scaled it down way too much, it should be more or less the size of the UCS Millennium Falcon instead of a regular TIE Fighter. Other than that i'd say it's a beautiful design that is spot on to how the ship appears in the game. :sweet:

The minifigures are also absolute must-haves for me. Especially Darth Malgus is an exceptionally well made figure with his new armor design, new cape and beautiful printing, but also the Sith Troopers are really nice. :wub:

Like all the sets in the summer wave, this one is no exception in that it seems to have an extraordinarily high retail price. I won't go into an extensive price rant, we have had enough of those to know that Star Wars LEGO is expensive in general and in some regions even more so for various known and unknown reasons. But the recent price developement does have me worried a bit where this is going. This ship is definately on my wanted list, but i'll probably spend some time hunting for a good deal before i pick it up.

Great review!

I would like more lighting in the pics but no worries. I'm glad you showed how the wings attach to the body. Also thank you for the comparison pics. Sad the price is so high. It is a system set and therefore should be about the size it is. Artwork for Darth Mauls Infiltrator show it to be much larger inside which would not be made as a system scale set AFAIK. I still want this set but am willing to wait for a sale.

I've just finished to build mine and I can confirm that it's the best Star Wars ship I get. It's the first time I build a set that look so perfect on every point : good Old Trilogy design, imperial Sith colors, extraordinary figs, excellent stickers - there's only 4 in the box and they are useful, for a while, swoshable (the ship structure is very strong), you can put the three figs inside and the serigraphied window of the cockpit is really detailed.

Of course the price is a problem, like it is on every new Star Wars set now. But I think you can forget another cool-but-not-fantastic set you plan to buy, to afford this one. You get to priorize... and this set is your priority :tongue:

Thanks for this insightful review. :thumbup:

I was surprised by two facts - in reality the set does even look better than i thought and it is much smaller than it appeared at first glance.

I like the design (it really looks evil, imperial and stuff), the minifigs (details and characters) and the colour scheme. However the ship is even smaller than the X-Wing but so much more expensive. A considerable sale might tempt me but my collection would survive the set missing.

By design i rate the set above average. I won't aggregate for pricing - this only has impact on my decision to buy or not...

I eyed this set for a long time before I eventually caved. The absurdly high price (you guys in the US thought you had it bad?) was a pretty significant deterrent but at the end of the day this set is too good to miss. Literally the only downside I can think of here is the price. It should either be around 30% cheaper or bigger in size. The wing design is pretty great and IMO has the best "swooshability" of any Star Wars ship so far.

I'll contribute some pics:

YzP0Y.jpg

Z5Qbb.jpg

Only 3 figs but who needs more when they are this good?

Thanks for the review! If you have the 7965 Falcon could we see a comparison pic with it too? Thanks!!

Sorry for the one blurry pic but it doesn't affect the size comparison.

b0f4b30d-dcd6-4471-b339-41c5ba54f12c.jpeg

17b48e1a-247a-4fe1-bef8-35cac964121d.jpeg

Thanks for the comparison pic! Wow, way smaller than I thought. Still want it but I'm going to wait for an amazon sale or possibly even for clearance.

Great review, good information on this exciting set. Some of the pictures were a bit dark, unfortunately.

But then again, maybe that's why it's the dark side of the force. ;)

It is an amazing looking ship, but the price is crazy for what you get. That new 10 year star wars deal must of cost lego a lot.