Ooh, my turn! Even if I pretty much never roleplay. :laugh:

What the character loves: SP, big yellow feathers, SP, Mythril, SP, and artifacts. But mostly SP.

What the character hates: Anyone who is drunk, heroes who don't follow their orders to the letter, bad grammar from anyone other than Cronk, and Crusaders armed with shurikens.

what the character fears: Armor-piercing enemies and Rangers who poison whole roasted cows.

What the character believes: Heroica seems like some sort of game. :wacko:

What the character values: Law, respect, and eyes.

What the character wants: More SP, though you can't really go wrong with more Gold.

What the character knows about: Everything everyone in Heroica has ever done. What good is Out of Character Knowledge if you never use it?

People who made a difference in the character's life: Brickdoctor, whoever the MegaBloks he is. See also History of the Lords of Brickdocton.

Discoveries that made a difference in the character's life: SP.

Decisions that made a difference in the character's life: Tipping over a table to shield himself from Bacari's arrows.

Oh dear, well here we go.

What the character loves: A pipe full of sourweed, a tankard of ale, coins in his purse.

What the character hates: Mages (they're bad for business), persecution against greenskins, romantics.

what the character fears: Tight spaces (Claustrophobic), his wife and children.

What the character believes: The world cannot be changed, the only goal is to be satisfied with one's decisions in life.

What the character values: Hard work, commitment to finishing a job.

What the character wants: A crossbow bolt though Wren's heart, a crossbow bolt through all his debt collecters' hearts, a crossbow bolt through every greenskin hater's heart, satisfaction.

What the character knows about: Archery, Ambushes, Skirmishes, Robbery, Politics, Philosophy.

People who made a difference in the character's life: His wife and children, Wren, Harper (bandit from his past)

Discoveries that made a difference in the character's life: Heroica hired an orc barmaid, he can't change the world.

Decisions that made a difference in the character's life: Leaving his wife and children, working for Heroica, beating Bartholomew Docken in the arena (I was all set to make Skrall switch to Warden and someone had to go ahead and lose). :tongue:

Edited by Waterbrick Down

"Le Menu":

What the character loves: Eubric, The wolfgang, food, intelligence,

What the character hates: Himself, Alchol, drunks, the town watch, , bloodsports, undead, vampires, threats to his friends. The Hinckwells, The Ziegfrieds, chaos, The JiPei, The guild of Invision

what the character fears: Lycan fears nothing but fear itself.

What the character believes: He believes that life can be good, but you have to change the odds anyway you can.

What the character values: Life and Intelligence and most of all, Beauty

What the character wants: To be able to harness his condition, and use it as a boost to himself, rather than a hinderence.

What the character knows about: Lycanthropy, rogue skills, weapons.

People who made a difference in the character's life: Too revealing.

Discoveries that made a difference in the character's life: Justice. Freedom.

Decisions that made a difference in the character's Life: Too revealing

Just reading though the others, I realized my crusader throwing a shruriken gets mentioned. That was such a bad bit of RP, but really iconic. He might even be making a comeback eventually....

Edited by TheBoyWonder

My turn!

What the character loves: Jess, making a difference in the lives of people, knowing that he has improved something, victory, good food.

What the character hates: Bandits, people who have a superior attitude, crime, people who do not care about what happens to innocents.

what the character fears: Dying alone, realising that his whole life has been for nothing, watching his friends die, being abandoned, having Jess leave him and slowly slipping into madness, chaos consuming the world.

What the character believes: In the Norse pantheon of Gods, that all dead heroes go to Valhalla, in fighting for the innocents who are victimised, that chaos will destroy all ordered society.

What the character values: Friendship, bravery, fighting skill, innocence, honour, respect, order.

What the character wants: To die in battle surrounded by his comrades, to be able to have changed Eubric for the better, Jess to take him back and to stay with her.

What the character knows about: Fighting, the Norse scriptures, what it is like to be alone.

People who made a difference in the character's life: Jess, his friends, Szalinski, Leif.

Discoveries that made a difference in the character's life: That Thoric was watching him, the truth about Wren, what the stone that he found actually was, his talent for healing, that Felton was fake.

Decisions that made a difference in the character's life: To leave the village, to join Heroica, being brave enough to speak to Jess, to fight for the rebels in the end.

What the character hates: Mages (they're bad for business), romantics.

Yet he seems to be fine with Althior. :look::tongue:

Ok, I will do Elgar

What the character loves: steak

What the character hates: Racism, people who trick their employers

what the character fears: Battle ants

What the character believes: Ennoc, Justice

What the character values: Honour

What the character wants: Justice and fairness in Eubric

What the character knows about: shooting, good food and Enncoc

People who made a difference in the character's life: No idea

Discoveries that made a difference in the character's life: No idea

Decisions that made a difference in the character's life: No idea

Just a quickly written list. :sweet:

What the character loves: God, Gold, food…good food, Racism (a hell of a lot of you seemed to be putting this in the “Hates” category, so I had to do this) :grin:

What the character hates: Any freakin’ folks who don’t look human, but who have intelligence. E.g. orcs, trolls, undead, Thotwick, etc. Also Necromancers and magic wielders in general, some tolerance towards mages. Fornicators. Anyone who defies God. Annoying heroes who don’t seem to see the need for salvation. :hmpf:

what the character fears: That the world will succumb to the likes of the above-mentioned. That he will die of starvation. That he will run out of gold, *oh2*

What the character believes: God is Master of all and everyone not serving him has got serious issues and should be ultimately killed if it is impossible to convert them. Conversion non-human looking folk is impossible (they are just bad). That it is important that everyone in Heroica pays him their tithe. :hmpf_bad:

What the character values: Others who believe in God like he does, gold, books, wisdom.

What the character wants: Power…unlimited power! *oh2* (Just kidding) The world to become fully subjugated by people who believe in God. That non-human looking intelligent folk be driven out or enslaved. :oh:

What the character knows about: A hell of a lot. He has been around for a number of centuries already.

People who made a difference in the character's life: Arasmyth. I won’t go into the rest now. You guys will all look at me. *huh*

Discoveries that made a difference in the character's life: The power of the almighty. That there are humans, etc who like orcs and the like.

Decisions that made a difference in the character's life: Coming to Heroica Hall and a ton more.

I need to add something in for the "What the character knows about." (Flipz should add this in too.)

Military defensive tactics.

I need to add something in for the "What the character knows about." (Flipz should add this in too.)

Military defensive tactics.

Your previous character knew how to shoot my cow :tongue:

Oh goodness, here we go...

What the character loves: Gold, Haldor, the death of her enemies.

What the character hates: The Wolfgang, goodie two-shoes, Wren.

what the character fears: Losing Haldor to the Wolfgang, losing Haldor in general, Wren.

What the character believes: Sylvania the nature goddess, Fate.

What the character values: Gold, Haldor

What the character wants: To clean up her act somewhat, to eventually settle with Haldor.

What the character knows about: Gold, Haldor, death.

People who made a difference in the character's life: Wren, Haldor, Rhunon (Elven swordsmith who created Blohdhurm)

Discoveries that made a difference in the character's life: Wren's nature, Haldor's alliance with the Wolfgang

Decisions that made a difference in the character's life: Going on the first Wren quest, agreeing to be with Haldor.

And that's about it.

I guess I'll do Johon:

What the character loves: His dragon, his friends, his elemental compass he found

What the character hates: His Orc slave captors, the unknown murderers of his true parents, racism, alcohol, greedy heroes, En Sabah Nur, discrimination

what the character fears: That a quest may be his last, that he cannot make a difference in the world

What the character believes: That he can discover his past, what he can accomplish within his power

What the character values: Fairness, his life, who he believes innocent's lives

What the character wants: Know why his parents were killed

What the character knows about: Fighting, wilderness survival, Aerobics, and

People who made a difference in the character's life: Zothen

Discoveries that made a difference in the character's life: That the family he grew up with was not his true family,

Decisions that made a difference in the character's life: Coming to Heroica

Oh fine.

What the character loves: Himself, Drinking, Friendship, Gold, High Social Standing, Lying to an extent

What the character hates: Wolfgang, Mages (before he gets to know them, then he's pretty lenient), Orcs, Weak people

What the character fears: [Confidential] (Main Character point is their fears. You can find Boomingham's if you read any quest).

What the character believes: Blind forward movement is the only hope

What the character values: Social Standing, Gold, Loyalty, Guts, Grit

What the character wants: To establish himself successfully in a new world, to make an impact.

What the character knows about: War, Combat, Commanding, Manipulation

People who made a difference in the character's life: His Family, His Troops in the Orcish Wars (one in particular), Barty, Nyx, Cronk

Discoveries that made a difference in the character's life: His Kingdom disappeared while he was frozen in time

Decisions that made a difference in the character's life: Leading a troop in the Orcish Invasion, Joining Heroica

What the character values: Social Standing, Gold, Loyalty, Guts, Grit

I can tell that if Guts ever met Boomingham, they would be good friends. :tongue:

I think I'm going to have to put up a link to Quest #28 in the first post, labelled simply as "roleplaying master-class." :tongue:

Boomingham sighs, sheaths his swords, and leans against a wall. He takes out his flask and takes a monster swig, finishing it.

"Well, there we have it. You're a very interesting man, Bluehood, I'll give you that. I can't argue against power. Power is the only thing really worth seeking, I'll agree with you there too. There isn't two ways about. Control over our own lives during our own life is the only thing we've got, be there gods or not."

"I'm going to tell you a story. It's a true story, and it happened long ago, and it's about power, so you're going to want to listen closely. During the Orcish Invasion, there was a troop led by a King. He wasn't a particularly good King, irresponsible, wishy-washy, loud, entitled, the like. You know the sort. Luckily, his kingdom wasn't very large, and he didn't really have that much power, so not too many people suffered due to his poor leadership. The King's goal was more power, which he thought meant more land and more subjects and more gold and more ladies and more drinks and food and all those things."

"There was someone else in the King's division who wanted more power, a young mage named Linus. The King was sort of young too, but this mage was seventeen or eighteen. He wanted his own kingdom. Now, the King was a crap King, but he wasn't that bad of a commander, and the Orcs wanted him out of the way, so they went to this young mage and they had him lead the entire division into an ambush. They promised him the King's kingdom when the war was over. The King and the young mage were the only two to escape."

"The King tracked down the young mage, trying to figure out what had happened. The young mage used all his remaining energy and froze the King in time. The King was powerless as the years rushed by. He didn't even know it until about 250 years later, a few seconds later for him. He had been powerless that whole time."

"When he reappeared, he did some research. His kingdom had been burned to the ground. His wife had escaped and remarried. He hadn't had power over that. She hadn't missed him. The young mage was never heard of again. He had been eaten by Orcs. The King had no power over that either. The King's son had died, burned with his kingdom. The King had no power over that either."

"And see, here's the thing. The King learned something. Power isn't what he thought it was. It isn't what the mage thought it was. It isn't more land and more control over more people. Power isn't burning cities or making your enemies cower, like you think it is. It isn't making everyone equal. People aren't equal. Some of us have more power. That's because we've earned it. That's because we are smart and strong enough to have power. Weak people should not be handed power. That's not safe."

"See, this is what it comes down to. We have one power in this world, and this right here is why I say screw the gods and their existence. Our one power is getting to pick how good of a mark we leave on the world. Some of us won't be remembered. Those aren't the powerful ones. Some of us will be remembered for ruining things with idiotic plans or evil intentions. That would have been you. Finally, some of us are remembered for stopping those evil doers and making a name for themselves. That's going to be me. I'll let my friends each make their own choices, but once they're done, it will be you versus me, chappo, and I promise you, the world will remember how Lord Boomingham of the Lost Kingdom stopped Bluehood the Goofy Mage from ruining Eubric."

BilbertWigglepikeAva2.jpg

"...do I even have to say anything? I think this one speaks for itself. Keep a close watch, though, I expect plenty more to come out of this Quest in the very near future! :wink: "

"For the Heroica Theatre, this is Bilbert Wigglepike, reminding you...that character counts!"

And take note, always finish your heroic speech by insulting the villian. Goofy mage indeed... :hmpf_bad::laugh:

Edited by Waterbrick Down

Ah well, since everyone's doing it......

What Dak loves: People who love him, victory.

What Dak hates: Men and women who conceal their emotions, any town guard.

What Dak fears: The loss of a loved one.

What Dak believes: Your faith isn't your life, and you shouldn't let some unseen dieties guide your life for you.

What Dak values: Loyalty, friendship, and most of all, independence.

What Dak wants: To show his mettle in combat and finally win the respect of largely-standing Heroes in the organization.

What Dak knows about: Deceit, darkness, the harsh realities of war.

People who made a difference in Dak's life: His mother, who died when he was young; his older brother, who showed him what it was like to become a true hero, and Guts, who showed Dak what people living on the streets were really like.

Discoveries that made a difference in Dak's life: His mother's body, that dieties are real.

Decisions that made a difference in Dak's life: Running away from home, choosing to live on the streets of Eubric for a few weeks rather than staying in the comfort of Heroica after Quest #20.

Oh great Ennoc, please heal Cronk's friends so that Cronk can bash evil...

What? A Raffle? Cronk like free stuff. Cronk signs up.

Now where was Cronk? Oh yes. Oh great Ennoc...

BilbertWigglepikeAva2.jpg

"Say it with me, everyone...D'AAWWWWWWWWWWWW... :wub: "

"Do notice that this is one of the best-played responses to the recent lottery, and yet is simple and concise. Sir Cronk is an excellent demonstration of how bold choices don't necessarily have to be highly complex. Sir Cronk is a simple person to know, yet he has a stronger character than most give him credit for."

"This is Bilbert Wigglepike, reminding you...that character counts."

Edited by Flipz

Since notes and suggestions on Roleplay go here, I thought I should give a little suggestion to all players who are intrigued by the roleplay aspect of the game. This is a technique introduced to me by Flitwick, and it is actually, believe it or not, essential to good roleplaying, as I found out once I started doing it. It is even more important once the game progresses.

KEEP A CHEAT-SHEET.

Scenario: Character A and Character B run into each other at the Heroica Bar. Character A greets Character B like a stranger... only awkward, because these two were on a quest together before. IT HAPPENS. And it really dampens the mood for serious roleplayers. Boomingham, for example, has been changed by some of his fellow characters, and if one of them did not recognize him... how would i fold that into my roleplaying? It would be tough, and I personally as a player would feel bad about it.

Now, there's no way for us all to keep track of each other and when we were last seen in our heads. We have to do it in real life too. Relationships are a ton to keep track of. No one is asking you to remember the last time you saw Guts and Cinna having a chat. No one is asking you to remember the last time that you and Hybros drank Flaming Gumballs. That would be impossible. Did you see Hoke before or after you went on that Quest with the Witch Queen? Should you tell Cronk about the Orc Rebels you ran into in Tyraid Park... or have you already done so, because you saw him after that quest already?

Yeah, tough stuff to remember. And I found out early on that I couldn't do it. So, I made a spreadsheet. Boomingham has interacted with 30 characters that are worth him remembering.

The columns on my list look like this: Name - First Met - Thoughts - Quests Been On Together - Last Seen

And, a few examples:

Nyx - The Hall (Pre-Quest 2) - Friendly now, Get along, Tease/Joke Lots, Close Friends, Protective - 8 & 21 - Pre-Quest 28

Tesni -The Hall (Pre-Quest 2) - Respects her, considers her a friend, interested in her way of life - None - Pre-Quest #

En Sabah Nur - The Hall (Pre-Quest 8) - Likes him, joking, respects him, conversational, ally, trust-worthy...ish - 28 - Pre-Quest #

See how quickly I can refer to that. Some quick fact checks, and I'll know everything Boomingham really NEEDs to know about a character, and don't look like a doofus, and allow a relationship to remain consistent and logical.

Just a suggestion. It's helped me a ton, it could help you!

Great idea there Zepher. I tried to do the same thing but in an in-character way with the Journal. I'm not really one for too much spreadsheets/data/that sort of thing which tends to bog down my creativity a bit.

But it is possible for even the characters to forget people they enteracted only shortly with in the hall. I'd say it's sort of part of the fun, but great ideas Zepher. Since I'm fairly new, it doesn't seem particularly applicable since I can quite easily remember all of those I've shared conversations with, but I suppose it's good to make such a list now so that in the future when I've enteracted a lot more with other heroes, I will remember such things as you brought out. :thumbup:

But it is possible for even the characters to forget people they enteracted only shortly with in the hall.

Absolutely. That's why I only said 30 characters who effected him. He's seen and had brief conversation with a number more. Likewise, as you can see, I write down only general feelings towards the characters. I do not advise writing down all you know about them. Just general thoughts. Are they friend or foe, and do you trust them or not trust them, and how much if so. General feelings you would not forget, specific details are far more likely forgotten. :thumbup:

Edited by Zepher

Right. Excellent idea, though, Zepher! I admire your organization and dedication. :classic:

"WAIT!" Lycan Bellows, "I can make him talk." Lycan pictures everything he's seen. The unjust city of Eubric, the execution of friends, his son and finally the oppression of the the region he was standing in. As he pictures it, he gets angrier. His previously mellow restrained self turns from calm to annoyance to cold blooded fury. He grows larger, and bulkier, before reaching 7 foot tall. His muscles, ripped. His face changed. His mind. Changed. This was the gift of his parents. The so called curse of Lycanthropy, where he got is nickname.

" Finally it's time. NOW YOU SHALL TALK YOU INSOLENT SCUM. IF YOU HAVE A FAMILY, EXPECT THEM MAULED TO DEATH. I CAN MAKE YOUR DEATH PAINFUL, FAR WORSE THAN EVEN THE CROISE CAN. TALK OR YOU WILL LOSE ONE LIMB AT A TIME. YOUR DEATH WILL BE WORSE THAN EVEN TORTURE IN THE REALM OF ZOOT. SO CALLED RIGHTOUS PEOPLE LIKE YOU ARE MY FAVOURITE PREY. EVER SEEN SOMEONE LIKE ME? A WEREWOLF. THE GIFT OF LYCANTHROPY IS MINE. I CAN EASILY GIVE IT TO YOU. WE SHALL LEAVE YOU ALIVE, SUFFERING WITH YOUR CONDITION UNTIL THE CROISE FALLS. THEN YOU HAVE MY PERMISSION TO DIE."

Is this good RP? How could I of made it better?

Is this good RP? How could I have made it better?

The description of Lycan's transformation is excellent, but what he says is a tad cheesy. The certain wording of a few things could improved as well, for example:

The first sentence is 'NOW YOU SHALL TALK YOU INSOLENT SCUM!' could be changed around a bit, like this: 'Now, you insolent scum, we shall talk!" Imeadiately it sounds a bit better, and slightly more of the sinister thing that I can tell you are aiming for. In generall, Lycan's monologue could use a fair few commas, just to even the pace. It might be worth losing the ALL-CAPS as well, they are good to show change in volume, but the whole paragraph this way loses it's effect. Another instance of change could be this: 'TALK OR YOU WILL LOSE ONE LIMB AT A TIME. YOUR DEATH WILL BE WORSE THAN EVEN TORTURE IN THE REALM OF ZOOT." I get what you are trying to say, but you could have said it a little bit better. How about this? 'Talk, TELL ME WHAT YOU KNOW! Or so help me I shall take you apart, limb by limb, piece by little piece. You will know no pain far worse than you can imagine, YOUR TORTURE WILL PALE EVEN THE DARKEST NIGHTMARES IN THE REALM OF ZOOT!' How does that sound? See, just by fiddling around and being selective in your use of caps can vastly improve your overall roleplay.

Sorry if that sounded a bit harsh, but I hope you take it onboard and lead Lycan in the direction that I know you can. :classic:

Edited by Scorpiox