Sign in to follow this  
Mister Phes

Imperial Sentry Box

Imperial Sentry Box

front1.jpg

Click on these thumbnails to view larger images:

left.jpg_thumb.jpg back.jpg_thumb.jpg top.jpg_thumb.jpg front2.jpg_thumb.jpg right.jpg_thumb.jpg

Yes, that's right another MOC! I've had this idea in the back of my head for a while now and I've finally committed myself to creating it. I think the inspiration for this MOC comes from the Mr Bean episode where he "decorates" a guard before attempting to take a photo.

So we have the sentry in his box while a mischievous pirate attempts to sneak past...

I've intentionally kept it small since I don't have time to work on a larger project, so I suppose it could be verging into vignette territory, but I was thinking along the lines of a small a small set, say the Imperial Guard equivalent of Harbor Sentry.

I'm not sure about the roof though because I've been daring and used Fabuland roof pieces, mainly because I didn't have any red roof pieces. I attempted to use red plates but I didn't have the right sized plates to do the roof properly.

So, now share you thoughts lads and lasses and eunuchs!

It could be part of a future MOC? You mean I could build a much larger MOC and incorporate this smaller MOC into it somehow?

Hmmm........I don't know about this on Phes. The design seems too simple, and without a whole lot of thought. And the sacrifice of that roof piece really detracts from the overall reputation. :-/

Although it is cute! *y*

Yes, I thought it was a bit simplistic too so it could be back to the drawing board for this idea. I like the concept but I don't think I've executed it very well.

But what do you mean "detracts from the overall reputation?"

You're becoming the master of the small MOCs Mr. Phes.

It looks good and very official. With "official" I mean: like a real set.

I like the fabuland roofs. And the choice of minifigs is excellent.

One day I hope you have the time to make a bigger MOC, like a ship or a fortress.

I'd like to make larger MOCs but at the moment its time and space. Lately I've been busy getting this new Pirate Portal website up and running so that consumes all my MOCing time.

And as for space... Its horrendous! I don't have space to layout all the pieces so they're easily accessible and it takes me a long time to build something because I'm always rummaging through bags of pieces to get what I want.

Fortunately this shall be rectified in the near future as I'll have more space and better organisation so my environment will be more conducive to building.

But I have to agree with Imperial Scouts, I agree that it looks too simplistic, even for an "official" set. I probably should get some red roof pieces or some red plates because I'm not very happy with the roof.

So any suggestions on how I could improve the MOC so its not so simplistic?

I like it :) . kind of what i could imagine a guard would have. so simple shelter would be all a guard would be given during his duty. but perhaps putting a torch on one or both sides of the openings could be good.

and maybe having the two fences in the same height. but i like it as it is. :-D

Yes, I thought it was a bit simplistic too so it could be back to the drawing board for this idea. I like the concept but I don't think I've executed it very well.

But what do you mean "detracts from the overall reputation?"

Wow. I'm surprised Lego would make such an odd piece. Originally I thought you had drilled a whole in the left roof slope, but now I see I was mistaken.

Wow. I'm surprised Lego would make such an odd piece. Originally I thought you had drilled a whole in the left roof slope, but now I see I was mistaken.

It was used in Fabuland sets during the 80's but it appears to have made a couple of cameo appearance 4178- Mickey's Fishing Adventure and 4166 Mickey's Car Garage both released in 2000 - according the Peeron.com's inventory on the piece.

but perhaps putting a torch on one or both sides of the openings could be good.

and maybe having the two fences in the same height. but i like it as it is. :-D

I thought about adding torches but to make this feasible I'd have to raise the roof to add one of these 4070.png pieces and I think that would make it too tall. I've intentionally made it mini-figure scale to make it feel more like an official LEGO set.

It was used in Fabuland sets during the 80's but it appears to have made a couple of cameo appearance 4178- Mickey's Fishing Adventure and 4166 Mickey's Car Garage both released in 2000 - according the Peeron.com's inventory on the piece.

Err that's not the piece, this is.

1But I have to agree with Imperial Scouts, I agree that it looks too simplistic, even for an "official" set. I probably should get some red roof pieces or some red plates because I'm not very happy with the roof.

2So any suggestions on how I could improve the MOC so its not so simplistic?

1. Who and the what now?

2. Lovely little MOC MisterPhes. I really like the roof pieces, though, from the front angle, it appears too big. Maybe making it on piece? Or try sloped bricks? Otherwise, this is a very good MOC!! *wub* .

Well I like the background picture. But I must be honest, I think there are MUCH better things to talk about on the forum besides this MOC.

EDIT:

Since this comment was view as potentially disparaging, at least by one member of the Eurobricks community, I apologize to anyone who thought I was being overly negative or expressing a view that this MOC is not worth discussing. All MOCs posted by our members are worth discussion, no matter there size, theme or purpose, this MOC included.

Mr. P,

That's a nice little MOC ya got there Mr. Phes.

Maybe a little too simple but maybe not. Since it is a sentry box.

I like the roof, i didn't think it was really lego at first.

Maybe it could be a toll-booth. It's just missing the draw arm. :-D

For the torch, you could use four 1x1 white bricks and the 1x1 brick w/ a stud on the side instead of the 1x1x5 piece.

P

Mr. P,

That's a nice little MOC ya got there Mr. Phes.

I like the roof, i didn't think it was really lego at first.

Maybe it could be a toll-booth. It's just missing the draw arm. :-D

For the torch, you could use four 1x1 white bricks and the 1x1 brick w/ a stud on the side instead of the 1x1x5 piece.

P

I have always liked sentry booths or guard booths... the military school i went to had one, they are just small little things that look like those bus stops kids have out in the country in the USA.... but they were used alot, in towns, along roads, at gate houses.... i think phes' design is pretty adequate, though most i have seen have three closed sides not just two. Their primary function is to keep the guard out of the elements while standing on duty.

I have thought about incorporating a few of these into other projects... those horrible <insert that tiresome argument> spire pieces from castle seem to be just the right size to be a one piece sentry box if a roof is thrown on it....

Well I like the background picture. But I must be honest, I think there are MUCH better things to talk about on the forum besides this MOC.

Thank you for your honesty. Your informative feedback will do wonders in assisting me to improve my limited MOCing skills and I especially like how you pin pointed exactly what you don't like about it

But DO NOT DARE write something like that to another user because it could be taken as a very disparaging insult, and it might cause a new user to never post in this forum again. Everyone, regardless of their MOCing abilities or how good their MOC is has the right to receive feedback to help them improve :-O

Its fine to state reasons why you don't like a MOC, but to imply its not worth discussing is very rude. We want to encourage MOC builders, not deter them by telling them their MOC is not worthy of discussion.

Maybe making it on piece? Or try sloped bricks? Otherwise, this is a very good MOC!! *wub* .

Yes I was thinking about acquiring some sloped pieces from BrickLink to design a better roof. Does anyone know the keywords I should use to search for these pieces?

I agree, much too simple even for an official LEGO set. I'm going to have revamp it completely.

Problem is I'm not using any 1 x 1 x 5 pieces because I'm using castle walls, which perhaps is my problem. Maybe I should remove them and completely brick-build the walls.

I have always liked sentry booths or guard booths... the military school i went to had one, they are just small little things that look like those bus stops kids have out in the country in the USA.... but they were used alot, in towns, along roads, at gate houses.... i think phes' design is pretty adequate, though most i have seen have three closed sides not just two. Their primary function is to keep the guard out of the elements while standing on duty.

Yes I suppose its adequate, but what would make it "Yeah, that's one awesome Sentry Box"?

I have thought about incorporating a few of these into other projects... those horrible <insert that tiresome argument> spire pieces from castle seem to be just the right size to be a one piece sentry box if a roof is thrown on it....

Like Captain Roger suggested perhaps this would be better suited as part of a larger MOC, rather than being a standalone MOC.

It is a very simple cute little MOC, it looks like a part of an official LEGO set. I'd give it a 7 out of 10...

It also reminds me of something at the entrance of a fancy exotic Hotel..

It could be part of a future MOC? You mean I could build a much larger MOC and incorporate this smaller MOC into it somehow?

Yeah...it could be cool

I agree! But right now I don't have the space or time to create a large MOC like that. But maybe in the future I could do something like this. But it wouldn't be for a long time.

It is a very simple cute little MOC, it looks like a part of an official LEGO set. I'd give it a 7 out of 10...

You're very generous Mr Tiber! I like how you've mentioned "part of an official LEGO" because you're spot on, as its not substantial enough to BE an official set its own right.

But like I mentioned earlier, I like the concept of having a sentry box so I might actually take out a BrickLink order and get some red roof pieces or plates to design a better and more flexible roof. What are the red roof pieces called on BrickLink anyway?

But DO NOT DARE write something like that to another user because it could be taken as a very disparaging insult, and it might cause a new user to never post in this forum again.

That isn't what I meant. I will be more constructive...

I like the background picture. I think it is inline with the 'classic' pirate type structure, but I think it would need some more accessories at the least to be inline with a REAL system set. I don't mind the roof, but it is definitely not 'SYSTEM'-y enough. Torches or a lantern would be a good idea, but I think you are right in thinking for something this size LEGO® would use the pillar pieces and not a bunch of 1 x 1s.

PM sent about what I was really trying to express...

Thank you Mr ZCerberus, that was the kind of feedback I was after.

I agree, the roof isn't SYSTEM-y enough but that's probably because its a Fabuland roof :-D Maybe that kind of roof would work on a larger creation but I think I'll definitely have to go with the proper roof pieces to get the right look.

And once again, does anyone know what the names of these roof pieces are on BrickLink? Are they just called slopes or are they actually called "roof" pieces?

And once again, does anyone know what the names of these roof pieces are on BrickLink? Are they just called slopes or are they actually called "roof" pieces?

The Peeron link(s) that you posted earlier have the correct names, 'roof slope'.

Here is the official bricklink name of the piece you have...

4323.gif

It is a Red Fabuland Roof Slope (with or without Chimney Hole)

If what you are after are regular ol' slopes... then the 'classic' LEGO

The Peeron link(s) that you posted earlier have the correct names, 'roof slope'.

Actually I meant the other types of roof slopes.

If what you are after are regular ol' slopes... then the 'classic' LEGO