maydayartist

Big medieval landscape: BIG UPDATE on page 26

That castle is really coming along. It looks to be an interesting shape... You certainly have dedication. :thumbup:

I´m so impressed with your patience to keep going with this huge project!

The castle is really looking good! Can´t wait to see it finished!

Backside is ok?

-snip-

Awesome! Thanks so much! The first picture just seemed a bit flat, but showing them from behind and from a slightly higher angle it looks all the more fantastic. still really loving that tower! :wub:

I think we can all agree that this is the most EPIC castle build EVER!

Thank you for taking so many pictures and time to explain some wonderful techniques.

It is inspiring!

Next little update: gates and doors

Two of the three gates of my castle. First with portcullis

p1010489.jpg

the portcullis teeth fits in the ground

p1010494.jpg

Second with doors.

p1010496.jpg

And two little spooky underground entrances

p1010497.jpg

p1010508.jpg

And one important notice. I'm on exhibition this weekend in france with three of six chapters.

It is the fanabriques in Rosheim near the german border.

See you there.

Phil

Be sure to take a nice big photo of your layout(so far) at the exhibition. You gave a lot of eager on lookers wanting to see tis thing. :grin:

Be sure to take a nice big photo of your layout(so far) at the exhibition. You gave a lot of eager on lookers wanting to see tis thing. :grin:

I will :thumbup:

And here is another gate under construction.

p1010510.jpg

All parts are unmounted and free.

p1010511.jpg

Great! am so eager to see the whole thing now *huh*

The porticullis and doors are looking great :thumbup:

I especially like the doors with the angled tiles, the underground entrances are a cool detail too :thumbup:

p1010479.jpg

Your stairs should be going the other way. The reasoning was that (right-handed) attackers going up the stairs wouldn't be able to swing their swords well with the wall to their right while defenders going down would have lots of open space to swing their swords. Many castles had the stairs as you have them and I see from your design that you probably can't switch them.

Edited by gotoAndLego

I've just worked my way through all 36 pages and you somehow manage to surpass yourself every page! I cannot wait to see the finished product, I think that the little cave on the cliff would be the perfect home for a bear from the new city sets :classic:

Keep up the good work, I can't wait to see the rest!

Your stairs should be going the other way. The reasoning was that (right-handed) attackers going up the stairs wouldn't be able to swing their swords well with the wall to their right while defenders going down would have lots of open space to swing their swords. Many castles had the stairs as you have them and I see from your design that you probably can't switch them.

Well then if this was your castle wouldn't you want your stairs this way? Your defenders would have the advantage then!

No, the stairs are correct (ascending clockwise ( http://medieval.stormthecastle.com/essays/secrets-of-medieval-castles.htm )) according to conventional theory (ironically for just the reason you state - you must be confusing yourself). However, according to this paper, there are many examples of counter clockwise stairs in castles: http://www.castlestudiesgroup.org.uk/CSGJournal2011-12X5stairs.pdf

Enjoy!

Edited by Edmond Dantes

I keep watching that thread since the start...and I love it.

So detailed!

but as many, I would love to see a picture of the whole thing ;)

Keep the good work!

Thank you for sharing

I hate to be redundant and constantly say, "Wow that _____ is awesome."

But wow, that gate and portculis is truly awesome. A great addition this. :thumbup:

Hello Maydayartist,

Nice to met you at Fana'briques 2012 :)

Your landscape is really stunning ! I have appreciate our conversations and many thanks for having shown me how you have built the door and its arches.

Hope to see you at the next french convention ;)

Any picture from the convention? I love looking at your landscape Maydayartist!

Hello Maydayartist,

Nice to met you at Fana'briques 2012 :)

Your landscape is really stunning ! I have appreciate our conversations and many thanks for having shown me how you have built the door and its arches.

Hope to see you at the next french convention ;)

My pleasure!

It was really nice to meet you and other creators at this (my first) convention.

Your co-op creation was amazing too and meets my expectations after I see your crane.

Now it is time to finish the castle and present it next year, or maybe another new creation.

p1010605.jpg

p1020102.jpg

p1020152.jpg

p1020156.jpg

p1020157.jpg

p1010914.jpg

p1020161.jpg

The last two pictures are in a bigger format here: 10914 big & 20161 big

I missed to take closer pictures of the construction zone and now this parts are broken. Not that bad, is it?

Phil

I love how you have the castle under construction! thanks for the photos, I can't get enough of them!

After seeing the fotos of the convention, I dare say that the building going on at the castle would be more than sufficient for a top-class MOC in its own right. You captured that scene perfectly and the cranes as well as all the other tools are beyond amazing.

It's almost a shame that they're going to leave the site once everything is finished, as each and every one of them is a neat and highly detailed creation on its own.

WOW :oh: It looks stunning! The parts under construction are beautifully done :thumbup: Were you originally hoping to have it completed for the convention?

Wow! That is awesome! It's amazing you've done all that since the start of this. Its scary it's not even being close to finished. WOW! :oh: